rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next two matches

Saturday 2nd August Premiership Sevens, MOVED TO DARLINGTON MOWDEN PARK, 7.15pm

Thursday 7th August v Bayonne at Stade Jean Dauger, 7.00pm (UK time)

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 13-23 Exeter Chiefs

Swinson signs for Glasgow
Northumbrian71 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 09:49
This topic needs its own thread i think. I am gutted by this news. He is one of my favourite Falcons players and i had heard rumours that he might stay. He will be a cracking signing for Glasgow and i think all Falcons fans will wish him all the best north of the border.

Re: Swinson signs for Glasgow
alas (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 10:11
Bad news indeed. The Falcons will still have some decent locks, but none homegrown and none with the versatility also to play at 6 to a good Premiership standard. Although Wilson has earned a better contract on recent performances, this is the bigger story. I'm surprised Smithy buried it as a follow-on item.

citizen-slacker (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 10:11
Best of luck to him, shame that he's leaving us just as he is becoming a real top class performer. The lure of H-Cup rather than Amlin, perhaps?

alas (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 10:15
Maybe, but with Glasgow you really do play in front of two men and a dog and in a football ground. I've been impressed by Boyle playing for the Development team and Tynedale. He might be able to step up next season.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 11:07
This a Big loss for the Falcons. Tim Swinson is my favourite player in the current team and never gives less than 100%.This is a big loss for England as well as I dont believe he has to go up north to put himself in the shop window. He is a good enough player to play for England now IMO. At least he's not gone to another premiership team.But just put a dampener on what has been a good few weeks for us.

nursepete (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 11:12
Good luck to Tim at Glasgow.
I had hoped he would if stayed and was hopeful he was one of the players that GG had alluded to commiting to Falcons.

mannin (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 11:28
I think he's good enough to be somewhere in the England set-up too but it's obvious he's nowhere near seeing as he hasn't been involved with the Saxons at all. I guess he was waiting to see if he was involved before deciding to move to Scotland.

He's my favourite player too but has probably had a frustrating season as Tait constantly moved him around and left him out quite a lot. Good luck!

steve1888 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 11:40
Shame but looks like he'll be pledging his allegiance to Scotland, good luck to lad he's done great for us but if that's what he wants then so be it. We have more than adequate cover at 6 and lock so if we had to lose one then not horrific, Gopperth was the big one.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 11:48
We will definitely miss the aggression and physicality he brings to the table, but I suppose the likes of Tai can now step up and fill the void. Good luck anyway Tim(with gritted teeth!!), from slightly disappointed fan.

Almostan Oldgit (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 11:58
Gutted, none of the current players bring his athleticism, ability and aggression in the same package, plenty with 2 out of 3, but none to match this lad. Good luck to him, but a really bad blow after the recent highs. Never mind though, it provides an oportunity for someone else, hopefully someone will step up to the plate.

north angel (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 11:59
That is a blow my veiw he is one of best 6s in the premiership and a great man.One of our outstanding forwards. C O F !!!

Getitright (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 12:04
Interesting that Boyle is treading the same path as Swinson, via the Tynedale ranks. Definitely one to watch as well

Leipziger (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 12:21
Terrible news. This must be about playing for Scotland as surely he could sign for a better team than Glasgow, although of course they are in the Heineken. England's loss as much as ours. But presumably we'll still have Swinson for the rest of the season, and he'll not want to be part of a team that goes down.

The South Stand Choir (Latest post: Under the Clock Chronicles: #nottherealworldcup):

http://thesouthstandchoir.wordpress.com

Respect for other sports.

sour (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 12:51
Disappointing for us but probably a good move for him.

Been our standout forward for last 2 seasons at least.

All the best for the future Tim. I suppose.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 13:03
I never mind players moving on for this sort of reason. Just be thankful for what he has done here & we wish him the best up in Glasgee. A cracking player who will be much missed.

nursepete (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 14:16
[www.glasgowwarriors.org]

Confirmation from Glasgow t'offy

Leipziger (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 14:17
Definitely wish him well in Scotland. He'll probably be a stand-out player in the Glasgow team.

The South Stand Choir (Latest post: Under the Clock Chronicles: #nottherealworldcup):

http://thesouthstandchoir.wordpress.com

Respect for other sports.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 14:46
He has also been the stand out player for the Falcons in the last two years IMO. So no change there.

pityacker (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 15:15
Was at Murrayfield for the England game and watched Richie Gray who is being replaced by Tim at Glasgow and although Tim is a superb player he has big boots to fill there.

JohnSt (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 15:25
I think we can only thank him for his outstanding service to the club! Probably my player of the season - again! I hope he gets the recognition he deserves north of the border. Best of luck Tim!

Falconfan (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 16:25
Just the news we did not want to hear - altho' not a total surprise. it was probably set in stone before Messrs Gold, Ford and Wells arrived. A great player for us who will go on to great things I am sure. Do not be so dismissive about the club he is going to - Glasgow are currently fourth in the Rabodirest Pro12 league - he is joining a club with a much better recent record than we have.

Peter Taylor (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 16:28
At the end of last season when Tim's contract was up the club wanted at least 2 years on the contract.

Tim and his agent only wanted one year so that he could assess his options again at the end of this season. I an sure that his agent was saying, if Falcons are not going well we can leave.

Let us be fair we are not going well and he would not have been here next season if we had succumbed to relegation.

Glasgow needed a replacement for Grey and I suppose Tim was an adequate replacement, and he wanted to explore his Scottish roots, internationally.

I feel that he could have done that with us, but he has to go with offers on the table and Glasgow would not wait around forever.

This is a professional sport now and unfortunately players will go where their agent thinks they will get the best deal.

We must accept that players will leave and we wish them well, however popular they were. Tough I know.

I wish Tim well and hope that I watch him playing internationally but now I am focused on staving off relegation, as I am sure Tim and the rest of the squad is

lizard118 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 16:34
I feel exactly the same FF.I thought Swinson would be one player we would build the team around.Just the sort of player you want when the chips are down. First disappointment for me since the new coaching team took over.Was really hoping he'd stay especially after he apparently bought a flat in Newcastle recently.
On the flip side I believe the likes of Boyle will now step up. The club is now thinking forward it would appear and here is to hoping we can now start keeping our better players at KP by signing them on longer contracts.

Happy Hooker (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 17:20
Just logged on and I'm absolutely stunned by this news especially when everything seemed to be on the up at the moment. Agree with evertything that's been said about him and for my money he's been our best forward for the last couple of seasons.

Slightly baffled he's off to unfashionable Glasgow even though he has a Scottish grandmother. Can't believe an English premier side wouldn't have been interested. He's still relatively young too, just 25.

Still wish him well for the future and a big thank you for the work he's put in at the Falcons.

Getitright (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 17:21
It could well be that Swinson has been told that he will be selected for Scotland on merit if he plays for Glasgow. If so why wouldn't he go if everything else stacked up.

Just supposition though.

Ironic if Lancaster picked him between now and then! No only a joke.

Good luck to him anyway, enjoyed watching him in Nat 1 before the Falcons. Nice guy as well.

lukelisa (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 18:11
I wish you well at Glasgow but you will be a big miss to Newcastle. You have been an outstanding player.

DB23 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 20:23
Very disappointed about this news. I also think he could have achieved his international ambitions with us rather than move to Scotland.
He will be a big miss, in the same way that Geoff Parling was when he left when you realised how good he was.
Swinson always gives his absolute all on the pitch and looks completely spent when he leaves the field which is all you can ask of players.
Nevertheless, he goes with my best wishes and will give his best for the remaining games with us, I'm sure.

Thespence_uk (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 21:13
I think Glasgow are decent outfit tbf with some good players in the pack.Tim "Pain Train" Swinson is a good player but I think Glasgow are losing a better player in Richie Gray. Not sure if I 100% buy the whole has to play in Scotland line though.

Running Rugby (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 22:37
Glasgow are one of the improving sides in the northern hemisphere, and are guaranteed Heineken cup rugby season every season, so you cannot really blame Swinson for leaving the Falcons, to go for that opportunity.

Add in the fact that he wants to, and has a big chance to play for Scotland, then I admire his ambition.

Brilliant servant to the club and good luck to you Tim, hope to see him on the international stage soon.

mannin (IP Logged)
21 February, 2012 22:38
At least he wont be playing against us...

ninjaboy (IP Logged)
22 February, 2012 20:48
Sad news, and many thanks for his immense efforts. If they had had all put the same graft in then pretty sure we wouldn't be bottom. Don't get the need to be based in Scotland though, or Shiels and Murray would be shafted.

Almostan Oldgit (IP Logged)
24 February, 2012 14:56
May be a little harder to get selected as an Englishman playing in England rather than a Scotsman playing in England Ninja?
Not saying it is impossible, I am sure there will be plenty of examples otherwise, but playing for a Scottish side, in the Heineken Cup (rather than playing here in the minor cup), can only enhance his appeal to selectors I would think.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
24 February, 2012 15:10
Also like the fact it appears Swinson is leaving us for the right reasons, i.e. to play for Scotland and not for more money as is the case with most who go to France.Obviously sad to lose such a good player but wish him well and no doubt should be selected for the upcoming test games.

ninjaboy (IP Logged)
24 February, 2012 21:20
Since Tim will a "scotsman" playing in scotland then i don't think i get the difference, otherwise Murray and Shiels wouldn't be here. Good player, and a good lad, though....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net