rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next two matches

Friday 24th October v Newport Gwent Dragons at Rodney Parade, 7.30pm

Saturday 1 November v Northampton Saints at Franklin's Gardens, 4.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 43-19 Bucharest Wolves

BIG announcement shortly?
eastfalcon (IP Logged)
08 March, 2012 13:25
from a tweet this morning -

"Apparently there is BIG annnouncement in the works for @falconsrugby in the next few weeks. Anyone care to speculate?"

Apparently from someone well connected to the club heirarchy!

Onwards and Upwards!

Re: BIG announcement shortly?
citizen-slacker (IP Logged)
08 March, 2012 13:48
Kit change, I've heard a name mentioned for both kit maker & sponsor (the sponsor meant nothing to me) kit may raise a few eyebrows.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2012 13:59
I heard same comment & implication is that it is something considerably more than Goosen getting a new haircut. I would guess either signings or DoR?

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
08 March, 2012 13:59
New permanent DOR.....contracts with the lawyers?

davidmc (IP Logged)
08 March, 2012 14:42
Quote:
citizen-slacker
Kit change, I've heard a name mentioned for both kit maker & sponsor (the sponsor meant nothing to me) kit may raise a few eyebrows.

Raise eyebrows as in "wow, great" or "ooookkaaayyy, we could get used to that"??

TouchLine (IP Logged)
08 March, 2012 14:45
Richards

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
08 March, 2012 14:48
The kit is defo changing. There will be a new company supplying the kit with a local and old falcons link

Running Rugby (IP Logged)
08 March, 2012 14:48
Got to be Dean Richards becoming our DOR for next season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2012 14:54 by Running Rugby.

citizen-slacker (IP Logged)
08 March, 2012 15:04
Latter, DMC

Hideo (IP Logged)
08 March, 2012 15:40
Does the new kit incorporate a picture of a giant falcon or perhaps several multi coloured falcons in an Andy Warhol style collage a la Stade Francais?

That would raise eyebrows...or perhaps the Falcon image itself has raised eyebrows...(Sm100)

08 March, 2012 16:04
Quote:
Falc Dancer
The kit is defo changing. There will be a new company supplying the kit with a local and old falcons link

Fineside?

alchemist (IP Logged)
08 March, 2012 16:08
Ringtons?

08 March, 2012 16:13
Findus?

08 March, 2012 16:14
Greggs?

08 March, 2012 16:17
Geordie Jeans?

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
08 March, 2012 16:25
35secs,
Fineside? No. I have no idea on sponsors but Geordie Jeans would be great though for the comical value

08 March, 2012 16:36
Fineside is Jonny and Mark Wilkinson's clothing label.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2012 16:46
Press announcement is middle of next week by the way so we won't have long to wait.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
08 March, 2012 16:54
35secs,
Cheers, didn't realise they had a clothing label.
This former player isn't so obvious

Monkey,
Are you getting this info from Twitter?

sour (IP Logged)
08 March, 2012 17:01
It'll be Orion probably if that's the cryptic chat.

If its green and white i'll be very disappointed.

sour (IP Logged)
08 March, 2012 17:04
Ps the link is Richie Archer

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
08 March, 2012 17:13
Correct Sour
Richard Metcalfe is the link
Not green and white tho

Oxonian (IP Logged)
08 March, 2012 17:34
Any colour change?

sour (IP Logged)
08 March, 2012 18:05
Thank god it's not green and white.

Not that I've got anything against Gosforth of course.....

Leipziger (IP Logged)
08 March, 2012 18:24
We should have a green and white away kit one year.

The South Stand Choir (Latest post: Carlisle 26-24 Kendal):

http://thesouthstandchoir.wordpress.com

League leaders upset in blood-and-thunder derby.

Falconski (IP Logged)
08 March, 2012 18:27
Sky sports has just said in august we are gunna offer dean richards director of rugby role

rubyrhone (IP Logged)
08 March, 2012 18:32
As long as one version has long sleeves for the chilly nights spectating and the logo doesn't look like we work at B and Q (Bet 118 type) I wouldn't mind a surreal type one like Stade. Maybe we'll be Sports Direct Park as well next season??

eastfalcon (IP Logged)
08 March, 2012 18:38
Virgin?

Onwards and Upwards!

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2012 20:27
Quote:
Falconski
Sky sports has just said in august we are gunna offer dean richards director of rugby role

Am I the only one who wonders if Sky News know any more than we do or do they just read the drivel we post on here & serve it up as news?
(Sm100)

davietoon (IP Logged)
08 March, 2012 20:39
Viz comicsto sponsor shirt with a picture of Biffa Vickers on the front

TouchLine (IP Logged)
08 March, 2012 21:02
It's pretty common knowledge.

Bede (IP Logged)
08 March, 2012 21:06
We should play at home once a year on Gosforth Day in green and white, to maintain a link with the past.

sour (IP Logged)
08 March, 2012 22:52
Sky sports announce news to make money in their betting. They do it with transfer speculation in soccerball all the time

Wouldn't be surprised though re deano

porta105 (IP Logged)
08 March, 2012 23:29
Quote:
davietoon
Viz comicsto sponsor shirt with a picture of Biffa Vickers on the front

That'd be brilliant (Sm152)

09 March, 2012 11:30
Maybe the big news could be that Peter Stringer will finally be officially joining us?

Leipziger (IP Logged)
09 March, 2012 11:46
That would make sense RR. It would be great news too.

dickiesdad (IP Logged)
09 March, 2012 15:57
On the surface Deano sounds good - but where has he been for last 3 years and how close is he to an ever evolving game?

steve1888 (IP Logged)
09 March, 2012 16:38
Probably watching a lot more than most to be fair

Oxonian (IP Logged)
09 March, 2012 16:56
Has Rugby really evolved that much in 3 years?

cumbrian_falcon (IP Logged)
09 March, 2012 23:27
bloody good move for Richards if true.

no pun intended

DB23 (IP Logged)
09 March, 2012 23:54
Quote:
Oxonian
Has Rugby really evolved that much in 3 years?

Everywhere except England, so DR shouldn't have any problems slotting back in

Peter Taylor (IP Logged)
10 March, 2012 17:46
Read my review of the 2002-3 season and you will see that rugby hasn't really progressed in the last 10!

Leipziger (IP Logged)
10 March, 2012 21:46
Richards is a winner. If he intended to get straight back into rugby after his ban he will have been doing everything he could to ensure he will hit the ground running. If he is coming I wouldn't be surprised if he's already watching videos of our training sessions, never mind our matches, and telling Kurdi which players he wants.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
11 March, 2012 10:56
Richards hasn't been sitting on his hands. He will be fully informed of what is going on where and chomping at the bit to show the English game what it has been missing.

A good showing at Falcons will take him back to where he wants to be, which is managing England. Falcons should be pushing for the 2015/6 Premiership if not before in DR's long term plan.

Peter Taylor (IP Logged)
11 March, 2012 19:04
Dean Richards is a professional and a proven winner, so you can bet anything you want with Sky that he is doing his homework, where ever he ends up.

He is a winner and that was evident in his very distinguished playing career (yes I was a fan of his, outstanding player) for both Tigers and England. he never quite fit the mould of a quality No. 8, but you just knew that where the ball went he went, it was instinctive.

He continued with this winning attitude with his coaching career with Tigers, before they tired of him, so away to Grenoble he went and increased his knowledge, before returning to Quins. They were in trouble, relegated and he took them over, instilled a massive desire to win and rugby sat back and watched as Quins roared back into the Premiership and up the league and into the Heineken.

Then it all went wrong!

Over the past 3 years I am sure that he had ample time to reflect and work out how he is going to move forward.

For a long time we have asked for ambition at the Falcons and not got it. If this is what is happening then great, if not so be it, but we will know next week and then we can analyse whatever is announced in detail and without speculation!!!!!!

pityacker (IP Logged)
12 March, 2012 15:11
As the club has announced the arrival of Peter Stringer at Kingston Park on Twitter perhaps this is the big news of the week !!!

Phil. (IP Logged)
12 March, 2012 19:50
from the BBC Sport news-ticker...

"Dean Richards will be named as Newcastle Falcons director of rugby for next season, BBC Sport understands..."

no link as yet.

COYSDC on Facebook

"It's not the despair, Saints, I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand."

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
12 March, 2012 19:59
It is beginning to look very much as if the...

http://www.picsimage.net/pictures/cat/cat_1313978765.jpg

... is out of the .....

http://www.thingsfor.co.uk/acatalog/just%201%20bag.jpg

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
12 March, 2012 20:56
Happy Days!! Gonna be a fun ride for a couple of years. Can't wait for Wuss and the renewed battle. Its never dull supporting the Falcons

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
12 March, 2012 21:33
The BBC article from this evening.

BBC

zackary71 (IP Logged)
12 March, 2012 21:38
Great news...finally the Club is moving in the right direction. even if we do go down, the future looks bright in the long term.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 03:33
On Twitter last night 5 Live's Alastair Eykin said Richards would be announced by the end of this week.

Good morning everyone :-)

Happy Hooker (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 08:26
Excellent news - tinged with a little disappointment that we're losing Gary Gold who has impressed me with the way he's gone about the job.

And even if the worst happens - which it won't! - we would surely be odds-on favourites to bounce straight back again.

bnewcastlef (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 08:35
It seems like Wells is staying too. Ford's situation probably depends on whether or not we are in the same league as Leeds next year, I presume.

Oxonian (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 09:38
Is he actually contracted to Leeds next year?

13 March, 2012 11:07
Excellent news, now just waiting for the official announcement which is supposed to be coming on Thursday.

Welcome back to rugby Deano!

nursepete (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 11:41
I asked Alastair Eykin regarding Wells and Ford and his answer is Wells is certainly staying with Deano and they are still negotiating with Ford.
Should know more for thursdays announcement

Leipziger (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 11:56
With 5 Live (or at least Eykin) suddenly developing an interest in club rugby past the Heineken Cup, will BBC Newcastle start covering cup games again I wonder?

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 12:06
Now a Telegraph article, if a cut & paste from the BBC website can be called an article.

Journalists ain't what they used to be.

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 20:36
Not one mention of cheat and bloodgate - is all forgiven?

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 20:55
Great news if Deano does come in which looks likely. I have also heard that its a done deal outside of the news speculation.

Bedfordshire Boy,
I don't think Deano will be forgiven in a lot of people's eyes or bloodgate will ever be forgotten but Deano is a top class coach and was always going to return to Rugby and it's about time the Falcons took advantage of a situation which is in our favour

Bedfordshire Boy (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 22:11
Quote:
Falc Dancer
Great news if Deano does come in which looks likely. I have also heard that its a done deal outside of the news speculation.
Bedfordshire Boy,
I don't think Deano will be forgiven in a lot of people's eyes or bloodgate will ever be forgotten but Deano is a top class coach and was always going to return to Rugby and it's about time the Falcons took advantage of a situation which is in our favour

I agree with you, and the best of luck to him and Falcons, just find it interesting that there is none of the language that we at Quins have had to listen to in the last 3 years.

Bede (IP Logged)
13 March, 2012 22:41
I reckon a 3 year punishment for a joke shop blood capsule is sufficient to let him start afresh.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 07:28
Interesting point about Wells and Ford.

I guess Deano will want his coaches to be fully focussed on Falcons. Ford has a coaching role with Leeds as well at the moment, so I guess that may be the reason why it is taking more to tie him down.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 08:07
Quote:
Bedfordshire Boy
... just find it interesting that there is none of the language that we at Quins have had to listen to in the last 3 years.

It is mentioned in the first line of the Telegraph article & the 2nd paragraph of the BBC article. I suppose the story emphasis has changed now anyway from what he did in the past to what is current news. Also, all that is from his time at Quins so it is going to be mentioned in the context of your club, especially during discussions that relate to that period. In the context of news about our club it isn't as relevant I suppose.

digitalsys (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 08:42
On the theme of the thread - I noticed from Smithy's tweets that there is an exclusive in Today's Journal - not on the online section yet but I think that there is quite a bit on rugby today so it might only be in print.

Any locals seen it yet, that can pass on the info to us stranded Geordies down here in N Yorks winking smiley

Cheers

markismith50 (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 08:47
Rugby on the front page, back page and a double-page inside spread in today's Journal. Major exclusive.

If you don't normally buy the print copy then make today the exception. Plenty in there to feast on.

manau (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 08:48
Its online now but i don't know how to do a link.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 08:52
Thanks Smithy...apart from the self promotion not very helpful and a little contrary to the spirit of this board recently. Hope the move is going well.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 09:06
New thread started with links to the three stories.

Apologies for the shameless self-promo.

And for those who asked, the move is going well.

Was meant to be moving yesterday, but got the call late on regarding meeting Deano for today's Journal exclusive.

Worked a 12hr day and then spent the entire night packing bags and ripping up floors. Oh the joys.

And don't worry, I am not returning to the forum - just wanted to post the links today given the prominence of the stories.

I hope I can be forgiven for the flagrant self-indulgence, and I will leave you in peace.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 09:10
Smithy, thanks for the other post. Bloody good exclusive and articles.

Fantastic news and it will give the club and its fans a great big boost. I guess it would happen the week you are moving house, hope the rest of it goes smoothly.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 11:39
Offy.

Still smiling!(Sm7)

Lox (IP Logged)
14 March, 2012 12:51
Happy Happy Happy...(Sm42)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net