rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next two matches

Saturday 20 December v Harlequins at Twickenham Stoop, 3.00pm

Saturday 27 December v Saracens at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Stade Francais 31-24 Newcastle Falcons

Today's Rugby Paper
chiefkicker1 (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 08:25
In the rugby paper today it's has linked us with numerous players. These are Rory Lawson, Scott macleod, Alex Crockett, Oliver tomaszczyk and the possible return of Tane Tu'ipulotu.

There is some experienced names there but I don't think any of them apart from Tane would bring anything

Re: Today's Rugby Paper
Leipziger (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 08:32
Heard the Tulip rumour, he's apparently been fit and playing well since he left.

I'd have thought we'd be looking at better props than Tomaszczyk (spelling), since he didn't make it with us last time and hasn't played a great deal for Worcester.

The South Stand Choir (Latest post: Match preview: Harlequins v Newcastle Falcons):

http://thesouthstandchoir.wordpress.com

Going south with confidence.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 08:36
Yes nothing to get overly excited about there.

Tame was good on his day. Lawson has been excellent on occasion. The others don't really set themselves apart.

alchemist (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 10:45
Tane's on his way... Surf boys are happy again.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 11:06
Tane coming back would be a great signing providing he stays fit. Tane can break he line at speed which is something we are lacking

Lawson at Scrum half would be a good signing too. Macleod when we already have Jimmy Jez and Joel for 10? Can't see he need

Running Rugby (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 11:35
For me Tane, was a bit out of sorts in his last season here, whether that was down to injury or lack of form I don't know, but I think it would be a bit of a gamble to be honest.

and Falc Dancer, its Scott Macleod, the 33 year old, Scottish second row, not Sale's Macleod, so wouldn't be a problem for Jimmy, Joel and Jez.

Rory Lawson would be a decent signing though.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 12:05
Glad to have Tulip back, he was decent enough under the old regime & has the qualities that we need. Under the DR regime he should turn out nicely.

Lawson an excellent choice, a bit of experience where we need it.

MrC (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 16:08
Also heard Tulip is a done deal, which I think will be great for us.

Lawson, if it's true would bring experience and he and Pasqualin must know each other well from Glos so hopefully he'd be a good mentor for him. He's one of the best defensive 9's in the league and a really gutsey player but he's not renowned for his attacking threat or speed of service.

We need some more depth in the 2nd row so Macleod would be good, not sure if VDH is staying.

pityacker (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 16:35
a decent player til the final season when he was poor after his injury.Will be 4 years older than when he first came and IMO would not be a good buy and personally hope the rumours are wrong.

Peter Taylor (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 16:48
Deano likes taking honest players and getting them fired up and playing above their ability, so alot of the names mentioned fit that mantra.

I suppose it all depends on what happens in April with regard to staying in the Premiership.

Oliver Tomaszczsk has been away got a degree and spent a year with Worcester, so should be just coming into his prime, so reserve judgement on that. Not sure what Tane and Crocket could bring to the party that we haven't got already. the same with Macleod, so I think that vanders must be on his way, sad to see him go, but he has not played recently, seems to have fallen foul of the new regime.

Rory Lawson would be a decent signing, but he is a not in th same class as Petit Stringer, why did Munster have to offer him a year, sure he could have got 2 with us, but I think he wants 100 international caps so would need to be in Ireland to get that. That said then Lawson is a good compromise.

Still it will be dependent on whether we are in the Premiership who comes and today's Glos lost wasnt good!

ROLLO (IP Logged)
01 April, 2012 19:20
Tomahawk has bags of potential, I think that the two probles he has are discipline and fitness. He is an intelegent chap and may think he knows best, if someone can show him he is wrong I think he could be a very good tighthead.
Championship is now Crocketts level, recovering from a season long ACL injury.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 04:51
Macleod would be good experience for us and needed if VDH is away along with Swinson.

If Crockett gets back to pre ban form he'd be a great signing and just what we need a proven Premiership centre.

Tomasczyk - looked a decent prospect when in our dev side and if I remember rightly played well in the Varsity game on sky. Richards been consulting for Worcester too so would trust that one.

Lawson - spot on and just what's needed and nearly done the business for us today.

Tane - when fit played well for us and assume have been doing well to be coming back bearing in mind we let him go in the first place.

Seem sensible enough to me rather than risk unknown foreigners and to be fair quite decent considering our position.

MrC (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 06:51
Steve1888 lawson didn't play yesterday he's out injured for the rest of this season following an op on his groin I think, Had he been playing Glos may indeed have won!

steve1888 (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 07:17
Oops other Lawson scored I assume

Almostan Oldgit (IP Logged)
02 April, 2012 08:09
Not inspired by any of that lot really;
Rory Lawson - better than what we have (PS excepted) but probably past his best
Scott macleod - never pulled up any trees, would rather have Goode permanently
Alex Crockett - was a really good player a few years ago (think he captained Bath at one stage) but time out and injuries may well prove too much to come back to AP level
Oliver tomaszczyk - don't really know him, but do we need another young propping prospect?
Tane Tu'ipulotu - would really need to improve on his final season's form to improve on what we currently have (which is just no where near good enough anyway)

mannin (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 12:28
They're rumours boys.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
03 April, 2012 15:21
It was also written on the first of April, so could well be a bit tongue in cheek too.

Xanderman (IP Logged)
04 April, 2012 17:25
It seems that Oliver is definitely coming, so thats one of five. Maybe not an april fool
[www.sundaymercury.net]

Lebowski (IP Logged)
11 April, 2012 18:06
Rory Lawson probably divides Glos fans more than any other player. The knock on him - and I am not saying this is my view - is that his service is not as quick as it might be and he doesn't make the breaks that a Danny Care type does. What absolutely nobody - and I do mean nobody - on Shedweb doubts is that he is as brave as they come; he is 100% committed; he is a great tackler; and he is an all round top bloke who will only bring positive things to a squad.

If, as seems likely, he is leaving Gloucester to make way for Jimmy Cowan, there will be as many disappointed in losing Rory as there will be elated at the arrival of a 50 cap All Black.

Make of that what you will! My personal view, FWIW, is that if you sign Rory you will not be disappointed.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
11 April, 2012 18:31
Sounds like DR's sort of player then.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
11 April, 2012 20:06
Thanks Andy, always good to get the views of his current supporters.

nursepete (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 07:43
What about Mike Blair? Announced yesterday that he is leaving Edinburgh: makes breaks, quick ball and has a canny turn of pace.
Personally, either Blair or Lawson would be excellent to add to Pasqualin and Chudley and Pilgrim (assuming all 3 stay this summer).

MrC (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 08:01
Nursepete I think that could be wishful thinking! As I read it Blair is leaving Edinburgh because he wants to so why would he join us, Lawson on the other hand has been let go by Gloucester so depending on other offers he could well choose to join our new vision for the future, although with Blair leaving Edinburgh I would have thought Lawson would fancy his chances at getting in there.

As for retaining all 3 of our other 9's if Lawson or Blair etc were signed I would suggested that would be highly unlikely, prem teams normally run with 3 first team 9's and possibly 1 in the academy and many championship sides only 2 first team 9's, so I doubt we'd have more than 3 next season whatever division we're in.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 11:07
Richie Rees going to Edinburgh according to the BBC site, presumably to replace Blair. John Yapp joining him in Scotland.

The South Stand Choir (Latest post: Match preview: Harlequins v Newcastle Falcons):

http://thesouthstandchoir.wordpress.com

Going south with confidence.

rugbysecondrow (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 14:14
Any rumours of a new forwards coach coming from titans?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2012 14:25 by rugbysecondrow.

Running Rugby (IP Logged)
12 April, 2012 21:33
Quote:
rugbysecondrow
Any rumours of a new forwards coach coming from titans?

Coming from the Titans to the Falcons?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net