rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 17 August v Leinster Rugby at Energia Park, 7.00pm

Friday 24 August v Edinburgh Rugby at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 47-26 Nottingham Rugby

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Re: Season Ticket Holders forum
toonaew (IP Logged)
15 January, 2013 10:28
PV has kindly agreed to put the lyrics to the Blaydon Races in the prog and maybe distribute elsewhere.

Whilst I know everyone may know the words already (or the version that gets sung at SJP), it might just encourage a bit of a sing-song now and again.

So, who's up for displaying their vocal talents at the next home match?

I'm sure the players would appreciate it, especially the "locals" and you never know, it might just catch on.....

PS the lyrics - [www.traditionalmusic.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/01/2013 10:30 by toonaew.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
15 January, 2013 10:49
Methinks we should take the lead & return KP to being a noisy bloody place for the Pirates game. See if that gets the team going rather than waiting for them to get us going.
(Sm60)

toonaew (IP Logged)
15 January, 2013 11:39
Damn right Monkey! People go on about the "extra man" influence of the crowd, I for one believe it.

Anyone else up for it????

dickiesdad (IP Logged)
15 January, 2013 11:56
count me in! - play Blaydon Races as the team comes onto pitch for KO - expect a shiver down the spine!
And ...play it loud!

markismith50 (IP Logged)
15 January, 2013 12:13
I used to run the words for Blaydon Races and Comin' Home Newcastle in every programme.

I removed it for a couple of games as a trial and got stacks of complaints.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
15 January, 2013 14:51
"Oh me lads..."

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
15 January, 2013 15:30
You should've seen us gannin...

markismith50 (IP Logged)
15 January, 2013 16:07
Most people know the chorus, it's more for the verses that the programme page was useful.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
15 January, 2013 16:39
I went to Blaydon races, t'was on the 9th of June....

Leipziger (IP Logged)
15 January, 2013 17:52
Eighteen hundred and sixty two on a summer's afternoon...

steve1888 (IP Logged)
15 January, 2013 19:00
I really dont like The Blaydon Races , its the footie clubs song we should adopt our own.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
15 January, 2013 20:01
I have nevr been a grat fan either, but the players love it so we will sing it.

Meerkats.

forensicpsych (IP Logged)
15 January, 2013 23:32
I was a the season tickets forum - seems to me like it was almost a request by Deano and Paul Varley - they mentioned it several times. I think there is a general reluctance to be associated with anything football related at KP and while I understand that - times are a changing and perhaps we should embrace the desire to create atmosphere and an opportunity to express loyalty our local club and region - its what passion is built upon as supporters. I and my two lads shall contribute to the KP choir (as will the real ale with any luck!)

Robs (IP Logged)
16 January, 2013 07:04
Quote:
dickiesdad
count me in! - play Blaydon Races as the team comes onto pitch for KO - expect a shiver down the spine!
And ...play it loud!
Mark Knopfler's "Going Home",the track from "Local Hero",always sends a shiver down my spine. I know it's played at SJP but why not give it a go,as dd says ,really loud when the players come out? That plus a massive roar from the crowd

Horus (IP Logged)
16 January, 2013 10:13
Deano specifically asked for the 'Races' before the start of the Bedford match.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
16 January, 2013 11:06
They definitely should play Local Hero as the teams come out and Blaydon Races is a good local song to sing. It's good that we're one of the few teams whose fans actually have something to sing other than a drone chant of the team name.

As for any link to football, this sport was football until William Webb Ellis picked up the ball.

citizen-slacker (IP Logged)
16 January, 2013 12:33
The Blaydon Races works for me, as it is geographically specific to the Northeast Geordies (not the bastardised football meaning of Geordie either), and there are a whole host of Geordie folk songs that could be used or adapted, resulting from the Northeast's vaudeville traditions, very much oompah, oompah, stick it up your jumper, how's your father, alright? as southern performers often didn't want to travel this far out of the capital (where does that ring bells?).

Although my efforts to get a version of Cushy Butterfield going for those players who get "cramp" at important times has yet to materialise, for the choir though...
"He's a big lass,
He's a bonnie lass
And he likes his beer.
They call him [insert name]
When he stands up we'll cheer"

Robs (IP Logged)
16 January, 2013 16:38
Quote:
Leipziger
They definitely should play Local Hero as the teams come out and Blaydon Races is a good local song to sing. It's good that we're one of the few teams whose fans actually have something to sing other than a drone chant of the team name.
Agreed Leipy even Faaalcons......Faaalcons.....is a bit of a drone-albeit that the players probably appreciate it. At one time SJP used to synchronise Local Hero so that the drum beat that signals its end happened immediately before they kicked off.This was followed by a huge roar at the exact moment of ko.
Stirring stuff
Anyone else fancy LH?
Loads of time to sing BR and other stuff as we don't need
musical backing (for the uninitiated LH is an instrumental)

markismith50 (IP Logged)
16 January, 2013 16:42
citizen-slacker,

In the days when the team used to have a local sing-song doing their warm-down in the West Stand gym after a game, Jason Oakes and Peter Walton used to lead a rousing rendition of Cushy Butterfield.

Walts was also the go-to man for all the verses of the Blaydon Races. The players, including all the foreign guys, in fairness, did learn the chorus and would enthusiastically pile in for that bit.

I remember a great rendition from the entire squad in Tokyo after our win over NEC in the Olympic Stadium, in front of utterly perplexed dignitaries at the post-match reception!

Oakesy, being a Co.Durham lad and all, also did a canny Lambton Worm... "Wisht lads had yer gobs, Aal tell yez aal an aaaful stary...!"

I am a firm believer you should never live in the past and that things evolve naturally, but I did think it was such a shame we never kept up that tradition.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 16/01/2013 16:47 by Mark Smith NCJ Media.

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
16 January, 2013 17:03
Unfortunately Cushy Butterfield and Lambton Worm don't naturally lend themselves to a choral rendition, but if we had any loud budding soloists.........

markismith50 (IP Logged)
16 January, 2013 17:16
Charliedog,

Don't get me wrong, I'm not suggesting the South Stand suddenly breaks out into a rendition of either.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
16 January, 2013 17:30
Lambton Worm is great but people taking their kids to the game probably wouldn't want them picking up the chorus.

17 January, 2013 10:03
Quote:
Charlie
Lambton Worm don't naturally lend themselves to a choral rendition

I don't know, next time we play Sarries & Steve Borthwick does his Florence impression, Whist lad ha'ad yor gob would be quite appropriate...(Sm100)

thegeordiehaka2 (IP Logged)
17 January, 2013 20:57
Can't imagine a load of people singing the verses Just stick with "oh me lad you should have seen us ganning ....to see the bladon races"

everybody knows it
everyone can join in
bit of fun.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
17 January, 2013 21:11
I think it works fine just as it is, a few stalwarts fire up the first verse then everyone else joins in for the chorus.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
17 January, 2013 22:47
Still a bit offputting for those that arent fond of the footie club and doesnt lend itself to being a truly regional club.

toonaew (IP Logged)
18 January, 2013 00:25
Just a thought:

He's a big lad,
He's a bonny lad,
And he likes his beer,
They call him Dean Richards
And we're all glad he's here!

(Sm61)

Robs (IP Logged)
18 January, 2013 07:01
Quote:
toonaew
Just a thought:
He's a big lad,
He's a bonny lad,
And he likes his beer,
They call him Dean Richards
And we're all glad he's here!

(Sm61)
Excellent toonie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/01/2013 09:57 by Robs.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
18 January, 2013 07:19
Might debut that one tomorrow afternoon!

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
18 January, 2013 07:29
(Sm152)

limpopo (IP Logged)
18 January, 2013 09:50
brilliant(Sm42)

18 January, 2013 10:10
Quote:
steve
Still a bit offputting for those that arent fond of the footie club and doesnt lend itself to being a truly regional club.

Geordie, when the Blaydon races was written, referred to everywhere from Middlesbrough up to Berwick, which covers the region pretty well. I'd never associated it with the football clubs, just like "ha'way or come on lads" that gets shouted I don't see as a football thing either.

I like the idea of seeing if we can sort words & tunes over the boards, that's one thing the football lot do get sorted pretty well.

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
18 January, 2013 10:19
I'm a Mackem and I don't have a problem with Blaydon Races (though I do know a different version!!) - I don't even have a problem with Local Hero cos I like the music!

dickiesdad (IP Logged)
18 January, 2013 10:24
Toonie! - may I suggest a variation

He's a big lad
NOT a bonny lad...

Re: Season Ticket Holders forum 10 January 2013
Robs (IP Logged)
02 February, 2018 18:13
Found it.It was a season ticket holders forum on 10/01/2013! and I have Monkey to thank for the following:
Quote:
Monkey1
Deano's targets are Premiership play-offs by 2015/16, HC final stages by 2016/17, and he sees that as achievable with current resources. He comes across as a superb man manager, and reckons a good club culture with the right squad structure is a better way to achieving this than the French approach of filling the pitch with expensive players.

The squad structure he has in mind is as follows:
3 world class players, names that would get mentioned in discussions putting a dream team together. You need these people to make the whole machine work.
7 current quality internationals.
5 budding internationals or players who have just retired from international play & have all that valuable experience to bring to the club.
25 quality club players, the ones who will give their utmost for the club week after week, very much the core of any good team.
25 academy level players, the future for the club & vital to get integrated with the squad.

[/quote

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net