rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 24 August v Edinburgh Rugby at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Saturday 25 August v Doncaster Knights at Castle Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Leinster Rugby 17-42 Newcastle Falcons

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Season Ticket Holders forum
Falcons Rugby (IP Logged)
20 December, 2012 11:13
Recently our board rolled out its Vision and Values strategy for the future of the club to all Falcons players and off-field staff. We'll explain more about that strategy and our vision for the club in this weekend's matchday programme, but it is important to us that all of our fans - particularly Season Ticket Holders - are on board and working with us on this.

On Thursday 10 January we will be holding a Season Ticket Holders forum at Kingston Park from 6.30pm to take you through this strategy and gather your feedback and ideas on how we do things here at Kingston Park. This session will involve a brief presentation from Paul Varley and Dean Richards before we open up the floor to hear from you.

Exact location details will follow but refreshments will be provided and the event is scheduled to finish by 10pm. Places for this event are limited so please contact ceryn.rowntree@newcastle-falcons.co.uk as soon as possible if you would like to attend.

Re: Season Ticket Holders forum
markismith50 (IP Logged)
20 December, 2012 12:57
Double-page spread on this in Saturday's Journal, and loads more news lines from my long chat with Paul Varley in the next few weeks.

Got way too much decent stuff to do it all in one article, but Saturday's spread lays some of the groundwork for what they are outlining.

Northumbrian (IP Logged)
20 December, 2012 18:31
All I have to do now is buy a matchday programme, but I can't say I've noticed any programme sellers this season.

Trebor1892 (IP Logged)
20 December, 2012 18:38
There were programme sellers at the SE corner on Sunday, however, they only appeared to have scarves and gloves for sale

Falconfan (IP Logged)
20 December, 2012 18:48
I had no difficulty buying a programme at that spot.

Horus (IP Logged)
20 December, 2012 21:24
Same here Ff. Saw the teddies & scarves, but got my programme.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
20 December, 2012 22:24
Booked for it thanks for posting up

markismith50 (IP Logged)
22 December, 2012 10:11
Falcons to unveil vision and values [www.journallive.co.uk]

Falcons v London Scottish preview [www.journallive.co.uk]

Horus (IP Logged)
22 December, 2012 14:59
Have to admit that, at present, all this looks like an empty managerial PR exercise. Does it mean loads of tick boxes plus other bureaucratic rubbish ? So, while deeply suspicious - PV will have a lot of explaining/ convincing to do to a 100 percent Falcons supporter & STH since 1997/8. Deano's pre-season vision does for me. As for values, Jimmy G. has the ones that really matter: honesty; integrity; 100 percecent effort; & club loyalty.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
22 December, 2012 17:26
Horus,

You are right to an extent.

I guess it all hinges on how much of the plan goes public.

I've seen it, and they are very specific on league positions, number of international players, world class players etc over given numbers of years.

If they choose to keep this detail secret then I take your point.

If they go public on it then, for all that it is still just words, at least they have put it out there and said they want to be held accountable against it.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
22 December, 2012 18:23
The club should be applauded for this bold initiative. It is positive news the club is ambitious, has clear goals and a plan to get there. It is equally good that they are willing to communicate the plans publicly to the fan base.

Most likely the plan will need changing along the way, but at least we will know where we are travelling to. As Eisenhower said "In preparing for battle, I've learnt that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable"

Horus (IP Logged)
23 December, 2012 23:41
Promotion back to the Premiership next season is "non-negotiable,”
Comment: no one who supports Falcons, could possibly disagree with this objective.

Falcons supporters are not shareholders: just paying customers. Creating an “ exciting brand” for merchandise and “match day experience”, misses the point. What we seek is a winning team, period. Ideally playing entertaining rugby, for sure, but even playing ugly, if necessary, to get the consistent series of Ws.

Premiership playoffs involvement 2015/16. Assuming promotion in 2013, a top 6 place is the highest place to which we could reasonably aspire in that season . (see Will Green wood on TRC). To get a top 4 ranking 2 seasons after promotion is ambitious, but is it realistic ? Same thought with Heiny Cup objective. Final stages from 2016/17. One step at a time is the pragmatic response. As long- term goals fine: no probs. Tying then down to to short – term dates sets up a failure culture.of missed (unrealistic) targets, Building a permanently successful side cannot be done overnight. This is what we supporters want and we are prepared to be patient. There can be no repetition of the 1997-8 season, when we won the premiership at first go.
Values: Professionalism; Sportmanship; Pursuit of excellence are all admirable virtues. I question whether winning team, as detailed, the first listed ‘value’ , has any moral significance whatsoever. Indeed it does not, at least in contemporary moral philosophy. None of what is listed is other than desiderata for a pro rugby team and back -stage backup. But to try and describe all these as moral values is simply to invite derision from anyone who is familiar with modern ethics. Sorry, but this is no “moral compass”, whether you are coming from a deontological perspective or from a consequentionalist one. It is simply amateurish witterings, however well -intentioned.

Toonfalcon (IP Logged)
24 December, 2012 14:14
I'm a season ticket holder but can't make the V and V session on 10th January ( whatever that means to anyone).

I would be grateful if a fellow season ticket holder is willing to ask Deano how he and the management staff are dealing with the problem of offloading the surplus of extraneous players that Tait bought, so that suitable players can be brought on for hopefully a quick return to the Premiership.

Thanks and Happy New Year to all fellow Falcons die-hards..

Trebor1892 (IP Logged)
25 December, 2012 23:27
Does anyone who is going to Doncaster have a copy of the programme from the London Scottish game that they would mind bringing along for me to have a read through over a New Year guinness?

I have asked Stu if there are any left to buy if he can leave one for the buses but on the basis that there arent I would appreciate a read over the detail within (I was too busy consuming beer on Sunday to buy one apparently).

Horus (IP Logged)
26 December, 2012 17:28
Toon falcon, I;m not sure the question you raise falls within the January 10th agenda. I agree it is an important issue, but the V& V agenda, set out in the last match programbme, is all about something much more nebulous. For what its worth, my own take on the V&V stuff in the last match programme is that it fails to raise above the homilies of the average prep school headmaster. Or to put it another way, it is an empty PR exercise which has a zero relevabnce to STHs and, for that matter to anyone who has bought a Falcons ticket this season.

plebian (IP Logged)
27 December, 2012 14:27
So true, it's straight out of the corporate handbook. I "bought in" to the idea when I invested in season tickets. If I don't like the "product" (dear me) then I will cease my "investment". Vision and Values didn't mean anything then, nor will they in future.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
27 December, 2012 15:07
I haven't had the opportunity to read the blurb in the programme so just going off comments on here. As Plebian says, it does sound like corporate cobblers, stating the obvious using jargon as if that magically makes it intelligent comment. In larger organisations it is used for one department to talk b0ll0cks to other departments, in the process achieving nothing useful but very important for climbing up the greasy pole.

I will probably give Varley some face time to touch base to see if he can outcome any of the deliverables, but if he does talk like that to season ticketers I will leave & do something more useful like sorting my sock drawer.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
27 December, 2012 15:44
My thoughts are different to several expressed in this thread.

Semore Kurdi and his team are putting in significant investment and a major effort to lay the groundwork for the Falcons to become a top flight, successful, professional North East rugby club which is surely what we all want.

Moreover, the club is willing to share and communicate its plans publicly with its customers and suppliers. Paul Varley is out there above the parapet leading the team.

In my book they deserve support and encouragement. It is all too easy to knock other people's efforts.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
27 December, 2012 15:54
I guess the relevance of this will be determined by how much of their detailed planning they are willing to share in the public domain.

Hopefully the Q&A night will see some of the specifics laid out.

What they have said so far is all commendable and exactly the sort of things any progressive organisation would have in mind, but without the meat on the bones it is of limited value in terms of drawing people in.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 27/12/2012 16:28 by Mark Smith NCJ Media.

plebian (IP Logged)
27 December, 2012 17:23
Quote:
Cantabrian
Paul Varley is out there above the parapet leading the team.
It must be contagious! I'm with him 101%.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
27 December, 2012 17:52
I am with you on that Cantabrian. I dont see how folk could be knocking this considering where we've been. We have to be grateful for Kurdi's involvement as without him there is every chance our beloved club could not be where it is now. I would hate to have the sort of negativity or apathy we had from some quarters when Thumper was at the helm.

plebian (IP Logged)
27 December, 2012 18:03
Quote:
Horus
Have to admit that, at present, all this looks like an empty managerial PR exercise. Does it mean loads of tick boxes plus other bureaucratic rubbish ? So, while deeply suspicious - PV will have a lot of explaining/ convincing to do to a 100 percent Falcons supporter & STH since 1997/8. Deano's pre-season vision does for me. As for values, Jimmy G. has the ones that really matter: honesty; integrity; 100 percecent effort; & club loyalty.
Horus has it spot on, anything else is "management" (and I don't mean Richards) flaneel.He also used the concept of deontology in this thread, so additional kudos to him.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
27 December, 2012 20:32
Lizard - maybe so we dont end up back there ? Few not so good things creeping in maybe (chief exec and other staff shunted out, clubouse bar shut no warning or explanation, reduced tickets left right and centre, few unhappy players possibly) - see what's said I guess !

Northumbrian (IP Logged)
03 January, 2013 18:05
Are they short on numbers? Had a message left today from the Falcons office asking if I wanted to attend. Haven't made my mind up, yet.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2013 19:33
Just booked my place, hoping to hear the various concerns raised on here discussed, & hopefully if everyone knows what to expect & sees it all start to take shape we will see numbers up at KP & the passion back in the club. I think that is what appears to be missing, the passion. We need a bit of what we saw during the Tonga game, both from players & from us, the supporters.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2013 21:22
"Are they short on numbers? Had a message left today from the Falcons office asking if I wanted to attend. Haven't made my mind up, yet."

This is your chance to meet face to face with the men who make the decisions, to articulate all the things you want from your club. If you can make it at all you should take up this opportunity, and fair play to the club for staging this.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
03 January, 2013 22:25
Hopefully people will ask the right questions and not just repeat the same question all night which happens alot or just sit quiet then post in here saying this and that wasnt mentioned.

TO be fair to them it is tricky to stick to notes and follow an agenda at times and also got get distracted on to other subjects easily and forgetting to cover others.

Northumbrian (IP Logged)
05 January, 2013 18:04
I will be attending. Never been to a fans' forum before, so not exactly sure what to expect.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
05 January, 2013 22:28
They can always be what you want them to if the right questions are asked - obviously within reason.

Horus (IP Logged)
06 January, 2013 14:19
Another new CEO visionary- for L. Welsh

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

zackary71 (IP Logged)
06 January, 2013 17:37
Gutted as not well enough to attend now...but I've read the Vision & in my opinion, it's too far fetched on the key issue ie. performance on the pitch.
If/when we achieve promotion, we "expect" to finish top 4 at end of 3rd season in top flight.
I wanted to ask how this can be reconciled with a) our best players reluctantly leaving the Falcons to further their International opportunities b)the players we need to attract to make us better than 8 other established Premiership teams...not wanting to re-locate and play in front of crowds of 4,000.

plebian (IP Logged)
06 January, 2013 19:26
I guess that's why it's a vision. 100% flannel, IMHO.

Northumbrian (IP Logged)
06 January, 2013 22:29
How did Harlequins go from Chammpionship promotion to winning the Premiership last season? Were they in any better position than the Falcons, now?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2013 22:30 by Northumbrian.

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
06 January, 2013 23:15
Quote:
plebian
I guess that's why it's a vision. 100% flannel, IMHO.

On what considered basis do you make that comment plebby? I'd be interested to read your reasoned argument to support your accusation.......

But perhaps you dont have one.....

Are you by any chance a reincarnation of one of our former negative posters?

digitalsys (IP Logged)
06 January, 2013 23:47
Surely not Touchline roflmao

Come on, fess up, we've all thought it for a while (Sm22)

zackary71 (IP Logged)
07 January, 2013 09:17
Quote:
Northumbrian
How did Harlequins go from Chammpionship promotion to winning the Premiership last season? Were they in any better position than the Falcons, now?
Being located in London, 100 yards from Twickenham & having much larger attendances / match day revenues probably helped !!

plebian (IP Logged)
07 January, 2013 09:22
Quote:
plebian
Quote:
Horus
Horus has it spot on, anything else is "management" (and I don't mean Richards) flannel.He also used the concept of deontology in this thread, so additional kudos to him.
This reasoned enough for you Charliedog? Not sold on the vision/values thing myself, and others don't appear to be either.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
07 January, 2013 09:36
Well I will toddle along with an open mind. All I am bothered about is that we have the management & commitment to give the club a good run at the Premiership. I hope that message is going to come across, but if Pleb's concerns turn out to be true & it is just a load of management buzzword cobblers I will be very worried as I can see that creating massive conflict with Deano's way of doing things. Hopefully all will be positive, and we have waited a long time for somebody to sit us down at KP & outline a genuinely positive future for the club.

Let's see what happens on Thursday before rushing to judgements.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
07 January, 2013 10:29
It is good being a Falcons fan again after the last three or four seasons of non-stop decline and retreat. This year the pot is more than half full as far as I'm concerned and here's to the Falcons future success in 2013 and beyond.

Next weekend Exeter travel to play Clermont Auvergne in the Heineken Cup. Four or five years ago not many Chiefs fans would have thought that possible, but somebody at Sandy Park had the vision to make it happen.

On 25th January Leeds and Bristol will be taking points off each other while we are tackling the Pirates at KP, I reckon a five pointer against the Cornish will more or less see us in the playoffs although it will still be mathematically possible for us to be overtaken.

So, I will back the vision of the club's owner,
management and coaches. The new regime at the Falcons seems to be doing pretty good so far when I look at the table.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
07 January, 2013 11:35
Quote:
Cantabrian
The new regime at the Falcons seems to be doing pretty good so far when I look at the table.

Indeed Cantab. Just look at how depressed we all were exactly a year ago when we couldn't win anything, now we complain if we don't win by enough points. All things considered we have a lot to be thankful for.

effja_ball (IP Logged)
09 January, 2013 20:01
Anyone know where at KP this is being held? 6:30pm start, yes?

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2013 20:45
From the email confirmation of attendance:

Quote:
Hi all,
Thank you for confirming your attendance at the Season Ticket Holders Vision and Values forum on Thursday, 10 January.

This event will be held on the First Floor of the West Stand, so please head over to the West Stand reception where you will be directed up to the forum.

Doors for this event will open from 5.45pm with the presentation element of the evening starting at 6.30pm prompt. The forum will begin with a brief presentation from Paul Varley and Dean Richards covering Newcastle Falcons’ Vision and Values strategy and our plans for the future of the club. We will then open the floor to any questions, ideas or feedback you wish to share.

If you are intending to turn up Effja it would be correct to email Ceryn Rowntree & have your name added to the list of attendees. At least they will have a good idea of how many sausage rolls to lay on for you.

effja_ball (IP Logged)
09 January, 2013 21:05
Cheers for that. Good thinking. Love a sausage roll.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2013 22:04
Hopefully this will be a great turn out and people ask sensible questions - obviously not asking why a certain player isnt getting a game or who is getting let go etc as they arent fair questions for an open forum.

Northumbrian (IP Logged)
09 January, 2013 22:37
Funny, I was told 6.30 pm for 7 pm. I didn't get an e-mail though - just confirmation by phone.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2013 22:40
Bumped into Paul Varley at KP today and he kindly extended an invite.

Only fair that I leave my notebook at home as this is a fan event not a press conference, and allows the speakers to talk more freely than they may if there was a dictaphone in front of them recording every word (should add this is not at the request of the club, simply my own personal courtesy towards them).

Hopefully useful to at least hear what is said, and could always lead to future interviews on subjects raised if there is anything of interest aside from what we have already heard.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2013 09:24
Quote:
steve1888
Hopefully this will be a great turn out and people ask sensible questions - obviously not asking why a certain player isnt getting a game or who is getting let go etc as they arent fair questions for an open forum.

Spot on. The whole point of this exercise is to allow the club to find out how we see the bigger picture at KP. That means everything to do with how we interact with the club.

Cripes, I am starting to sound like Varley.

If we spend all of it asking why JG covers full back instead of Catterick it will be a pointless exercise.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2013 10:09
Totally agree.

And please no half-hour discussions on why scrum-halves don't put the ball in straight at the scrum (answer FYI: because they can get away with it).

A tramp abroad (IP Logged)
10 January, 2013 13:55
As a non-STH due to location I would appreciate it if, following the meeting, someone could post a short summary of the main topics discussed.

Falcons Rugby (IP Logged)
10 January, 2013 14:07
Hi all,

Just a reminder - if anyone is planning to attend but hasn't yet informed Ceryn, please do so before 5pm today to ensure we have your name on the list. Her email is ceryn.rowntree@newcastle-falcons.co.uk.

Thanks

AJfalc (IP Logged)
10 January, 2013 21:14
Just returned from the forum and very pleased with what I have heard this evening.Big wish list from the 2 main presenters, world class players in the team, full stadium, good merchandise, good food & good beer. That sums up what I want from Newcastle Falcons.

AJfalc (IP Logged)
10 January, 2013 21:19
Forgot to mention the biggest cheer of the night when they ammounced we are getting a new scoreboard!! 1st February if I remember correctly.
We kept looking at the Doncaster scoreboard at the last away game, not to check on the score, just envious of the quality.

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
10 January, 2013 21:30
It is easy to have a big wish list but I got the impression they had a clear understanding of the key issues and most importantly a plan. Headline quotes probably dont do it justice so I'll let someone more eloquent than me write a detailed report.

I liked what I heard, it is clearly ambitious but I believe realistic and clearly thought out in detail - dont expect world class players in year 1! Above all I think we got candid and honest answers.

In the meantime I await the cynics!

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2013 21:49
Absolutely superb event, well attended & not one word of management cobblers from start to finish. Paul Varley even humorously apologised for using the word journey at one point, but there really was no alternative.

If somebody wishes to have a crack at summarising all of nearky 2 hours of discussions they are welcome to do so, I just made a note of the points that seemed most important to Deano & Varley, or might be of interest to supporters.

Deano kicked off & spoke for quite a while including the following in no partucular order:

Over the last few months the team has been chopped & changed quite a bit as the coaches need to see what works & what doesn't, hence some combinations have worked better than others, and some results have been less than sparkling. Expect to see more stability over the coming months as the core team for the play-offs is set to work week after week, and as a result we should see better performances on the pitch.

Deano is keen to see our academy work well, and these players to be an important part of the club's future. The ones that do well he wants to keep, he passionately dislikes seeing ex Falcons develoiped players doing well at other clubs. Our club is to be a centre of excellence for rugby, it must have what he calls a WOW factor. That plays a very important part in player retention.

He wants ALL players to have some experience of international rugby at any level that is appropriate. This takes them out into new places where they learn to think differently, players develop much more quickly this way. Good for learning he called it.

Deano's targets are Premiership play-offs by 2015/16, HC final stages by 2016/17, and he sees that as achievable with current resources. He comes across as a superb man manager, and reckons a good club culture with the right squad structure is a better way to achieving this than the French approach of filling the pitch with expensive players.

The squad structure he has in mind is as follows:
3 world class players, names that would get mentioned in discussions putting a dream team together. You need these people to make the whole machine work.
7 current quality internationals.
5 budding internationals or players who have just retired from international play & have all that valuable experience to bring to the club.
25 quality club players, the ones who will give their utmost for the club week after week, very much the core of any good team.
25 academy level players, the future for the club & vital to get integrated with the squad.

The last point I jotted down is that Deano is loving it up here, the club, squad, supporters, everything. This was obviously no flannel, he means it, and I reckon we could well have an honourary Geordie in the making.

Paul Varley was next up & was certainly not what I was expecting. He comes across very well, not even a hint of the big company culture that the Values & Visions material suggests when you see it laid out in writing.

One of the first things he said got jotted down on my pad, he sees his job & that of all off pitch staff as doing everything they can to support Dean, by doing their jobs properly. Probably looks a bit lame typed out on here but it came across as pretty much the key to making the whole place work.

He sees our club as the leading club between Leeds & Edinburgh, and with that comes a responsibility to the whole rugby scene across that huge area. That requires better links with rugby clubs at all levels from schools upwards, and that will bring obvious benefits to the club both on & off the pitch.

Exactly the same as Deano's aims for player retention, one of Varley's aims stood out for me, a voluntary attrition rate of 0%, in other words, players will not want to leave. Indeed that probably refers to off field staff too, and of course supporters. Like Deano, he spoke quite a bit about making the club somewhere that people get passionate about, including obviously supporters. Included in this was quite a bit about player development, vital to extend this beyond the rugby career, developing players for their lives after rugby. It made good sense in the context of building player loyalty.

Top of a list of six or so targets for what we should expect from the club was winning & exciting rugby. I liked that, it suggests they have their priorities right.

The club has no plans to move from KP, they aim to extend the current lease beyond 4 years then buy it back. KP is the home of Newcastle Falcons & they intend it to stay that way.

Last note I have from Paul Varley is that season ticket price renewal will remain the same price, for some reason not explained this offer ends at the end of February. The obvious implication is that prices go up from 1st March. This sounds like a very early bird offer, full details will be in the post to existing season ticket holders shortly.

Not part of the intitial presentation but in reply to questions about the Hiding Place later on, Varley outlined moves to make the East Stand a proper rugby clubhouse, history on the wall, the whole shebang as has been requested so many times over the years. Plans are at an early stage to sort over the summer, but Gosforth are on board too & it all sounds very promising.

That is the only point from the discussions with supporters that I will mention here, mainly because I have typed enough. During over an hour of good open discussions, with no questions avoided or sidelined by either Deano or Paul Varley, one voice stood out for me. A gentleman at the back pointed out that nobody had thanked Deano for coming to Newcastle, the best rugby coach in the world, and the speaker obviously meant it very sincerely. I can only agree.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
10 January, 2013 22:04
Monkey thanks so much for such a full report on the STH forum. Really appreciated.

Trebor1892 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2013 22:07
Sums it up pretty well Monkey.

One other point that was raised repeatedly was the Friday or Sunday for games with valid arguments raised for both. The raised hands poll was probably about 70-30 in favour of fridays

Thespence_uk (IP Logged)
10 January, 2013 22:09
Monkey that is some effort! Nice one

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
10 January, 2013 22:11
Quote:
Trebor1892
Sums it up pretty well Monkey.
One other point that was raised repeatedly was the Friday or Sunday for games with valid arguments raised for both. The raised hands poll was probably about 70-30 in favour of fridays

I would suggest the poll was:

1/3 - Friday
1/3 - Sunday
1/3 - don't care!

Guess the club can't win on that one!!

markismith50 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2013 22:13
They're getting a new scoreboard (February mentioned) which will be bigger than the current one and housed in the same area.

And there will almost certainly be a new kit from May 1 (which means it will be worn in the play-offs).

I know I said I wasn't posting, but seeing as Monkey did such a comprehensive write-up just thought it worth adding those as folk will be interested.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
10 January, 2013 22:15
Very good meeting. well worth the time. Varley came across extremely well and Deano was Deano, top man. Both very open and honest. Monkey has covered most points.

I wouldnt get too excited about world class players, no names were mentioned or comparisons offered but the possibility of young Scott or Zach being world class in 3 years time were given.

Also mentioned brief was the possibility of bringing back ex-falcons. Mr Wilkinson is v.unlikely but my opinion from Deanos body language was that either he'd very much like him back or it's been discussed already. Which other ex-falcons may return? Time will tell

Trebor1892 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2013 22:17
Didn't appear that even from my view but if so is suggest that at that ratio then Friday will be the likely outcome from a revenue perspective. It will forever be the debate no matter when it is but as was said during the evening regardless of when games are played those of us with season tickets will be there regardless

telfs123 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2013 22:44
The main ex falcon i would love back is tait. Hasnt had the best of time away from the club and would love to see him back at 13 or 15

In terms of "world class" players, of course the club arent going to reveal who they mean, as well as the fact that in 3/4 years a whole different group of players will be considered "world class"

Thanks to people for their reports, all sounds very promising.

plebian (IP Logged)
10 January, 2013 22:47
Many thanks for the prompt info Monkey. Much appreciated.

Robs (IP Logged)
10 January, 2013 23:53
Quote:
telfs123
The main ex falcon i would love back is tait. Hasnt had the best of time away from the club and would love to see him back at 13 or 15

Yes everyone remembers the Henson tackle in the Wales England match
Nobody comments that the ball came back on the England side!

bunch of flankers (IP Logged)
11 January, 2013 07:02
many thanks monkey for summary,feel very confident of exciting times ahead

A tramp abroad (IP Logged)
11 January, 2013 07:51
Monkey, my thanks also for your excellent report. Also to others for the additional comments. You confirm what we already thought, we really do have the right management team in place.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
11 January, 2013 08:36
Thanks Monkey and others, that all looks very encouraging.

rubyrhone (IP Logged)
11 January, 2013 09:24
Thanks for very full and readable report - important for us that can't get to these meetings.

Pgg (IP Logged)
11 January, 2013 09:48
All great stuff to read, thanks Monkey and the others for the updates.

belbo_bagins (IP Logged)
11 January, 2013 09:49
Thanks for the summary Monkey and others, much appreciated.

I agree, would like to have Tait back. With his brother still being here and being a reasonably local lad, I wouldn't be too surprised if he did come back. He may also still have his studies on hold at Newcastle Uni?

I also think Miller, Young, Brookes and Gray would be interested in coming back. Although, I think I would only want to have Miller back. I think if he had been given game time he would have stayed and quite possibly been a long servant at the club. With the situation Sale are in, I think he may be another ex-falcon that will return.

limpopo (IP Logged)
11 January, 2013 10:38
Thanks very much Monkey for that comprehensive summary of the meeting and it certainly looks as though the club mean business. Without wanting to appear contentious, can I suggest that as most current season ticket holders are happy with Friday night games, the poll result was hardly surprising, although it did not appear to be conclusive from what I can read. I think the result may have been somewhat different if all current and previous season ticket holders had been asked the question, but we will never know I suspect.

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
11 January, 2013 10:48
Limpopo

You're probably right, though I suspect another issue that will keep the majority of games on a Friday night is Corporate business - my guess is it is easier to attract corporate customers on a Friday night rather than Sunday which is more of a family day.

DeceptivePace (IP Logged)
11 January, 2013 12:57
Would just add to Monkey's post how much Dean and Paul want a loud home crowd, with the Blaydon Races being requested in particular.
Paul Varley mentioned how 500 Thunder fans made more noise than 4 to 5,000 Falcons fans do.
He also stated that The Hiding Place would not be reopening as a pub this season

limpopo (IP Logged)
11 January, 2013 12:59
I'm sure that you are right about that Charlie, but surely that may well alter when we become a successful Premiership team and corporate events at the Falcons will be in more demand.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2013 13:03
Limpopo,

He didn't say it would be closed for private functions, just that it would not be open as a public bar.

limpopo (IP Logged)
11 January, 2013 13:25
I think a possible misunderstanding here Mark, I was referring to selling corporate hospitality at matches.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2013 13:32
limpopo,

Sorry, my mistake. As you were!

BigVic (IP Logged)
11 January, 2013 13:43
I've not really anything original to add to many previous posts, except to say how delighted I am at the tone of positivity expressed almost unanimously by so many posters.
I admit to some scepticism prior to the meeting, and wondered if this was just to be a PR exercise.
I came away with what Dean Richards described as a WOW factor.
Paul Varley is obviously a seasoned businessman, but I commend him for not slipping into "corporate speak" . His message was clear and he answered all questions succinctly and with candour. I feel reassured that what he has already addressed is beneficial to the club as a whole, and what remains to be tackled will be dealt with in a timely manner. Obviously he has had to prioritise.
On the field I have to say I was more than impressed by the persona, so ably projected by Dean Richards.
His honesty and humour and vision were simply and clearly portrayed.
An immense physical presence coupled with a quiet honesty, but a barely concealed all consuming passion to win and to succeed. At the same a desire to produce entertaining rugby and to nurture local talent, whilst endeavouring to create an old fashioned rugby club atmosphere with its particular values and goals. This was all music to my ears, and although not a particular religious man, I came home with an almost evangelical fervour - that WOW factor. This was not produced by any flashing lights, beating of a drum, but just through the persuasive medium of being straight with the audience.
Sorry to have waxed too lyrical, perhaps too many lunchtime espressos, but I feel the Falcons are in good hands. My money for the next campaign's season ticket is already earmarked for end of February's committment to the cause.
Thanks for the opportunity to attend, and here's to Connacht tomorrow.

Robs (IP Logged)
11 January, 2013 18:08
[quote DeceptivePace]....how much Dean and Paul want a loud home crowd, with the Blaydon Races being requested in particular.
Paul Varley mentioned how 500 Thunder fans made more noise than 4 to 5,000 Falcons fans do.
[u/quote]

Interesting one this.Why should the RL boys be better than us?

timlongs (IP Logged)
11 January, 2013 18:20
They RL boys were amazingly loud, all though they had a lot more songs than we do.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2013 18:49
It has been getting quieter at KP every week, and by the end of the Newport game a lot of people were chatting about their holidays, doing crosswords, catching up on a bit of DIY until they noticed we could whack 100 on the board then they took an interest in the game again.

Seriously though, as Deano said last night they have been trying out different things & it hasn't always been pretty to watch. That is all set to change & I have every faith that the KP crowd will start to do the team proud again as they start to show us what they can do. I have experienced rugby crowds near & far, and decibel per supporter we must take some beating.

Come on Falcons!

Robs (IP Logged)
11 January, 2013 19:07
PV says he was embarrassed by the fact that we don't make enough noise.
Maybe we need to try(shout) a bit harder(louder)?

steve1888 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2013 19:56
It was a very good night and if it all comes off it will be great , and yep Deano did say after these B&I cup games we'll se a settled team.

They did say they have a plan B should the worst happen and we dont win the play offs then will be seen as a season long delay and not the club going backwards like Bristol did.

plebian (IP Logged)
11 January, 2013 20:58
Quote:
Robs
PV says he was embarrassed by the fact that we don't make enough noise.
Maybe we need to try(shout) a bit harder(louder)?
Sorry Mr Varley, but how much noise is "enough"? As Monkey comments it has been getting quieter, but the rugby has been getting poorer. The solution is in front of him, no?

Leipziger (IP Logged)
11 January, 2013 22:00
Always a chicken and egg scenario, is it up to the team to get the crowd going or should the crowd drive the team on? Like most of these things it's probably a bit of both and in a game where we are playing rubbish but still not in danger of losing like Scottish it's hard to get an atmosphere going.

11 January, 2013 23:30
It's very difficult to provide noise to a foregone conclusion. I've not been to many games due to moving this season but the ones I have been to I have found it difficult to rouse myself to make any noise. It really is like a massive Pre season.

Robs (IP Logged)
12 January, 2013 00:10
So 500 Thunder supporters cheering a team that seem to lose on a regular basis, and indeed lost last weekend, can outshout 4-5000 RU supporters following a team that wins every week!
I'm confused

markismith50 (IP Logged)
12 January, 2013 00:16
To clarify.

I was there covering the rugby league last Sunday.

There were (estimating) about 200 Hull KR fans there, of which about 20 were singing. They were singing very loudly, and virtually without stopping for breath.

In response there was a group of about 15 Castleford supporters, somehow affiliated with Gateshead for reasons unknown (suspect a weekend on the hoy judging by the costumes).

The two groups spent the entire game singing songs at each other very loudly, much of which was good banter, some of which was a little beyond the pale and some of which was positively vulgar given the number of kids around.

These two small groups made a heck of a noise between them and did contribute to a very lively atmosphere. All well and good, but given the words in some of their songs I won't be losing any sleep if we don't replicate that at KP.

Robs (IP Logged)
12 January, 2013 08:26
Ca expliques tous!
Merci Mark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2013 12:54 by Robs.

eastfalcon (IP Logged)
12 January, 2013 11:13
Great report Monkey - we were both at work so couldn't get there in time. Looking forward to seeing you all later.

Onwards and Upwards!

mannin (IP Logged)
14 January, 2013 16:39
There are a number of players I'd love to see back that have left recently and I hope that if they do, they see it as a completely fresh start. The grass obviously isn't always greener.

Looking at where we are short next season, I'd love to see Mickey Young back. It would be a shame for him to spend his best years in Tigers reserves. Same goes for Brookes and Gray but I think their egos may prevent a return. Miller would be a no brainer if Sale were relegated and he was allowed to leave.

On a similar note, still no Swinson in the newest Scotland squad.

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
14 January, 2013 17:13
Mannin

Agree with Micky Young and Rob Miller, but disagree completely with Kieron Brookes and Alex Gray. Even with ego's aside, I think they've probably gone backwards and certainly wouldn't add anything to what we already have.

Noted the same thing with Tim Swinson - moved to Scotland to get noticed when Richie Gray moved to Sale and still gets included!

Shame too that Geoff Parling has re-signed for Tiggers........!!!

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
14 January, 2013 17:24
I would rather have Bates back than Micky Young. He isn't bottom choice at Tiggers for nothing.

plebian (IP Logged)
14 January, 2013 18:09
A tad harsh on Mickey Young, he'd still be an asset to us, if not Leicester. Swinson would be a real asset going forward, plays a variety of positions and good in all of them. Have to say Gray wasn't a loss when he left, wouldn't be a gain if he came back. Rory Clegg, anyone?

Dr. B. (IP Logged)
14 January, 2013 19:23
Regarding the fans and noise-making, I still have fond memories of an away game at Welford Road (2007? 2008?) where a small group of about seven Falcons outsang 16000 Tiggers fans from our little spot on the Crumbie.

Ah, the good old days.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
14 January, 2013 19:56
I reckon it was 2007, last time I was at Welford Rd, and the only sound to come from the Leicester crowd was a pin dropping.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
14 January, 2013 20:15
Monkey, you must have missed the bloke standing a few rows in front of us who turned around at one point late in the game while our voices were in full flow and muttered under his breath "Shut up will yous?". Leicester would have been 40-10 up or similar at the time.

Dr. B. (IP Logged)
14 January, 2013 20:20
Just found a few photos from that day - it was indeed 2007 Monkey. Ah ......

mannin (IP Logged)
15 January, 2013 08:52
I'd agree Brookes and Gray have gone backwards but they still have the ability to be top players. I was including them more for the reference to spending their best years in reserve teams.

dickiesdad (IP Logged)
15 January, 2013 10:07
Following some twitter banter last night between fans players and PV; I am assured the singing of the Blaydon Races is about to make a come back - my suggestion is that it gets played when the team runs out and at every point scored!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net