rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 15th December v Dragons at Rodney Parade, 7.30pm

Saturday 23rd December v Harlequins at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 52-24 Bordeaux-Begles

A very Goode home win
FalconsRugby.org.uk (IP Logged)
01 February, 2016 20:46
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Re: A very Goode home win
aidanb (IP Logged)
01 February, 2016 22:39
The learning point from the first Quinn's try is to ensure touch ahead of distance. We would have been 10 nil up at half time but for that error.

These are learning points which didn't bite us today but are in the bank for experience.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
02 February, 2016 08:01
The two points that this game hinged on for me were Craig willis' 38th minute penalty failing to find a safe touch and the arrival of Andy Goode. Both point to a much discussed topic on this board: on field leadership.

Will welch has been playing really well this season and would definitely be in my team at 6 but like Chris Robshaw he's not a leader. I think the lack of on field leadership is one of the causes of our mid match lapses making winning harder than it should be.

We look to have a much better chance of staying up than it seemed at times before Christmas, but I'd like to see the vastly experienced Ally Hogg being made captain for the rest of the season with Andy Goode hopefully soon able to come on for 30 minutes or even a full second half.

Two wise old heads who can read a game leading the team will surely help us survive a tough season.

Dick Godfrey (IP Logged)
02 February, 2016 08:53
I can already hear the close of season chant when it is clear we are safe. "Goody is a Geordie.........."

A tramp abroad (IP Logged)
02 February, 2016 09:58
Quote:
Cantabrian
The two points that this game hinged on for me were Craig willis' 38th minute penalty failing to find a safe touch and the arrival of Andy Goode. Both point to a much discussed topic on this board: on field leadership.
Will welch has been playing really well this season and would definitely be in my team at 6 but like Chris Robshaw he's not a leader. I think the lack of on field leadership is one of the causes of our mid match lapses making winning harder than it should be.

We look to have a much better chance of staying up than it seemed at times before Christmas, but I'd like to see the vastly experienced Ally Hogg being made captain for the rest of the season with Andy Goode hopefully soon able to come on for 30 minutes or even a full second half.

Two wise old heads who can read a game leading the team will surely help us survive a tough season.

Cantabrian, I agree with all of the above except the choice of Ally Hogg as captain. You are correct in that he has vast experience but he wouldn't be be in my first choice back row which is Welch, Latu and Wilson. I would give the captaincy to Nili Latu who has international experience in that role.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
02 February, 2016 10:09
Agreed, Welch Wilson and Latu with Lawson or Latu as captain.

aidanb (IP Logged)
02 February, 2016 10:13
I met Welch recently

I have always liked his game

I may be a bit star struck from that recent meeting but he is doing a good job as captain as far as i can see.

He has Hogg, Latu, Goode and others to chat to anyway so the club doesn't need the negative that comes with a change in skipper

nursepete (IP Logged)
02 February, 2016 10:23
For me Welch to continue as captain - dont change a winning team and continue with Welch, Latu and Hogg.
Sundays game highlighted what a difference a Class Fly Half makes, and how a simple mistake can be capitalised on by the opposition just like the kick to touch on 38 minutes, which Quins exploited. Eradicate those mistakes and the nerves on 38 - 60 minutes will lessen in time.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
02 February, 2016 12:27
I think his defensive efforts have been immense of late. I too wish WW to continue as captain. I'm a convert after initial doubts.
He has grown into the role over the last few seasons. His move to number 6 has been very positive. I think that's his best position. Latu is our best 7, and should stay at 7. I Would like to see Dan Temm whom I rate getting some gametime as he's our other natural 7 in case of injury to Latu.
With 9 more games on the bounce I think we're going to see some rotation to freshen things up.
Finally, did others see Sinoti running on the side? What a sight to behold! I hope he's ahead of schedule. Our game has more dynamism with Sinoti in it. I'd like to see Sinoti and Watson in the wings with Venditti at outside centre role. I think Venditti's power lends itself to that position.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net