rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Sunday 21 October v Montpellier at Kingston Park, 1.00pm

Sunday 28 October v Exeter Chiefs at Kingston Park, 3.00pm (Cup)

Last result: Toulon 25-26 Newcastle Falcons (!!!)

Injuries on Artificial Surface
TeflonTed (IP Logged)
10 July, 2016 17:47
Wuss in peace.

We're having a debate about the possible effects on players of our soon to be ready new artificial pitch. Not that ours is exactly the same as yours, we're apparently having ground up coconut husk as our infill rather than rubber crumb.

Just wondered if you have any views on frequency of injuries of any specific nature which have been attributed to the surface?

Thanks.

Re: Injuries on Artificial Surface
telfs123 (IP Logged)
10 July, 2016 18:14
I've studied this from a medic standpoint, and looked at other reviews of this, there is zero difference when large scale reviews are done (for example the annual RFU injury report). Any increase in injuries appear to be purely coincidental and not a long term effect. It was recently brought to light by Baxter not letting Nowell play on artificial surfaces as the way he steps could increase his injury risk, but the evidence that is based on is flimsy at best, and there's no bio-mechanical reasoning for it.
Feel free to post this on the Wuss board (or I will if I get the time to do so).

Leipziger (IP Logged)
10 July, 2016 18:42
Interesting Telfs, cheers. I thought Nowell didn't play on artificial pitches because he was allergic to the rubber infill?

TeflonTed (IP Logged)
10 July, 2016 18:50
Thanks telfs, interesting, much appreciated!

Raggs (IP Logged)
11 July, 2016 06:55
A lot of players seem to feel they can generate more power with the artificial surface, given much better grip. That is going to have an effect, off the top of my non-expert head, I'd expect fewer slips and falls, but equally can see how that would lead to more twisted joints as there's less give between the boot and the floor.

telfs123 (IP Logged)
11 July, 2016 09:53
Raggs, that was the theoretical risk yes, but it isn't one that seems to have materialised, or the difference in "give" isn't enough to actually increase the risk of injury. In fact studies done in the NFL, where they have had artifical pitches for much longer, show that minor injury rates are the same, but major injuries unrelated to contact (for example twisting causing an ACL tear) are actually more common on grass pitches.

Raggs (IP Logged)
12 July, 2016 07:27
Fair enough.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
12 July, 2016 11:16
It's all in the mind of Leicester players for the last few years who have had to come up with an excuse for not being as good as their somewhat illustrious predecessors!

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
12 July, 2016 12:16
Deano commented that our new pitch favours younger players & we will see that reflected in the make-up of our squad over the next couple of years. No further explanation was given however.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
13 July, 2016 11:19
If I were a gambling man, I would suggest that the statement was a reflection of the fact that younger players carry less gym bulk (as it take time to develop) and therefore being lighter on the more dense surface allows them to take advantage of their mobility, fitness and stamina.

But that is all conjecture!

MikeGC (IP Logged)
18 July, 2016 10:12
Hi guys, posted this on a similar thread on Saracens' message board.
Not sure if it adds anything to the discussion but here it is:-

Not sure whether this will assist but my little club (Burnage RFC) has played for 6 seasons in National 3 North on a 3G pitch (4G is a marketing "gimmick"). We are a strictly amateur club.

Our observation is that there are fewer lower limb injuries probably because the surface is consistently flat and even and is never hard through frost or dryness. I suspect some twisted ankles were only seen at amateur level on grass, fully professional teams will have permanent ground staff, we do not have that luxury,

In the initial years it had an additional fitness benefit.
Our players were able to continue full, outdoor, evening training when players from other clubs were reduced to indoor training by snow or frost. We have lost this edge due to the recent mild winters.

This may not apply to Worecster, Newcastle or Saracens but access to our pitch is "sold" almost every day to schools, universities, local soccer clubs, Australian rules and American football to cover loan repayments. Not something available with grass pitches.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net