rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 16 November v Harlequins at Twickenham Stoop, 7.45pm

Friday 23 November v Bath Rugby at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 22-7 Bath Rugby

Quin's to sign Demetri Catrakilis
Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
11 October, 2016 19:20
Quin's to sign Demetri Catrakilis for 2017/18 season which I'm sure Tim Swiel open to offers. And a FH that could complement the Falcons and is better and actually proven in the AP unlike our young FH

Re: Quin's to sign Demetri Catrakilis
Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
11 October, 2016 19:59
I don't think Swiel is any better than what we already have

Leipziger (IP Logged)
11 October, 2016 20:06
Quote:
Falcons_Thunder
Quin's to sign Demetri Catrakilis for 2017/18 season which I'm sure Tim Swiel open to offers. And a FH that could complement the Falcons and is better and actually proven in the AP unlike our young FH

I presume you don't mean Swiel is better than Willis, otherwise the Willis Fan Club on this site will shoot you down for daring to question the lad's mercurial talent.

ColinCharvis8 (IP Logged)
11 October, 2016 21:21
That was my first thought too Falc-Thud... I've watched Swiel twice recently, once vs Saracens and last weekend against Northampton as well as a few times last season. Looks a solid 10, kicks his goals and makes good decisions especially when to run with ball in hand. Hopefully Deano puts the feelers out down his old club, he's definitely compliment Willis and TC but too be frank Id be an improvement on Delany anyhoo

lizard118 (IP Logged)
11 October, 2016 23:36
I too don't think Swiel is that good. Harlequins suffered for consistency when Evans got injured. Swiel can kick fine but he's not the sort of player to who will consistently allow us to play exciting rugby.
Much rather have Willis,who I still think is a good prospect given the necessary support.

alas (IP Logged)
12 October, 2016 01:57
The guy Quins have signed really can kick goals, but won't he be replacing Evans who must be coming towards the end of his playing career?

12 October, 2016 07:11
Quote:
Falc Dancer
I don't think Swiel is any better than what we already have

Please enlighten me with your reason here?
Swiel's kicking percentage is around the 78-80% so before he kicks a ball he's already 10-15% more accurate then all our current FH's. Has played super rugby for the Sharks and being second fiddle to Lambie Is some learning curve.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2016 08:20
If thats the case stick with Delaney who has played for Highlanders, Chiefs, Clermont and has an All Blacks cap.

If Swiel is that good this thread wouldn't exist.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
12 October, 2016 08:38
A high kicking average doesn't make a top class fly half
I am pretty sure Rory Clegg had a high goal kicking average but he couldn't run a game
As Steve says, Delany has a great CV, a better CV than Swiel

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2016 08:42
I don't think Swiel is a bad player at all. But in my opinion he is not really much better than we have got. smiling smiley

12 October, 2016 08:44
But your argument was you don't think he would be any better than what we have? So take Delaney out of the equation, who only has one more season left in his 3year deal. How is he not better that Willis, catterick and Hodgson?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/10/2016 08:53 by Falcons_Thunder.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2016 08:53
I am not saying he is a bad player, but I personally wouldn't go for Swiel. smiling smiley

Mafia (IP Logged)
12 October, 2016 09:02
Can I suggest that a Premiership Rugby Team with aspirations for top 6 should not be looking at Quins second string fly half. We took Delany due to pedigree in part. We should be considering another senior pedigree fly half. A Flood or Gopperth type who has seen it and done it, can still do it but can close a game. That is why we got Delany. That is why we got Goode in when Delany was injured. If it is not working we need someone who can do what he was brought in to do not another work in progress/star of the future. Flood is potentially available!

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
12 October, 2016 09:03
If Falcons were to go for another flyhalf, surely it would need to be a major step up on our already large stock of FH's(4 at last count)?

Swiel is a handy FH, but as others have mentioned, is he better than Delany? I'm not sure he is. Then you have a firing Catterick, who in form is a real asset. Bringing Swiel in would push Willis further down the order and he's looked the fly half with the most potential in my opinion.

We're in a decent position in the league and unlikely at this stage to go down. We either bring in a fly half who'll be a big step up on what we already have(Flood perhaps?) or stick out the season, get some FH's off the payroll and bring in a quality option.

Running Rugby (IP Logged)
12 October, 2016 09:49
Swiel is a good player and has looked good in open play for Quins in these past few games. People forget that Quins also have Ruaridh Jackson aswell, so they are well stocked at 10. Anyone have any idea how long Nick Evans has left on his contract?

On the Swiel vs our current fly half stocks. I would like to see Willis given a good run in the side this season to see if he has what it takes, and if he can fulfill the potential alot of us think he has. If not, then get in a more experienced player to run the ship, for next season.

Does Delany still have another season on his contract?

12 October, 2016 10:40
[quote Mafia]Can I suggest that a Premiership Rugby Team with aspirations for top 6 should not be looking at Quins second string fly half. sarries are doing alright from wasps second string FH Alex Lozowski

Mafia (IP Logged)
12 October, 2016 11:03
I agree re Lozowski but how many Premiership teams can match Sarries anywhere. They are looking at a Springbok international second row as injury cover for goodness sake! You could also mention Wasps who have moved Gopperth to centre to accommodate Cips.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2016 11:32
Quote:
Running Rugby
Anyone have any idea how long Nick Evans has left on his contract?

He is now 36 so I would imagine is on a rolling contract towards retirement or a coaching role.

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
12 October, 2016 11:56
These various fly half threads are just getting stupid.

On one hand we should be playing Willis / TC / Hodgson

On the other hand we should be signing every single FH that becomes available, which is just a perfect message to the existing guys!

As someone pointed out, our most recent 'hero' Jimmy couldn't get the back line moving because he always kicked the ball.

It's just typical of the daily change in extreme opinions - its even more inconsistent than the way the team is playing.

After Sale they were 'heroes'
After Bath 'zeroes'
After Gloucester 'heroes'
After Worcester 'zeroes'
After Bristol (1st half) 'heroes'
After Bristol (2nd half) 'zeroes'

But we are still 6th!

And finally on the point of FH's - if anyone in a position of recruitment in the club even contemplates re-signing the over rated, has been, cry baby I shall hand my season ticket back until that stupid notion goes away. It's only my opinion of course, to which I am entitled, but I just don't rate him at all (in case it wasn't obvious!)

pa8 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2016 11:59
[quote Falcons_Thunder][quote Mafia]Can I suggest that a Premiership Rugby Team with aspirations for top 6 should not be looking at Quins second string fly half. sarries are doing alright from wasps second string FH Alex Lozowski[/quote]

I'd say it's a lot easier to shine as a fly half in a side who are constantly on the front foot so it's no surprise Lozowski is doing well.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
12 October, 2016 12:05
It's just typical of the daily change in extreme opinions - its even more inconsistent than the way the team is playing.

After Sale they were 'heroes'
After Bath 'zeroes'
After Gloucester 'heroes'
After Worcester 'zeroes'
After Bristol (1st half) 'heroes'
After Bristol (2nd half) 'zeroes'

I beg to differ - perfectly consistent - first a hero then a zero - repeat, etc [:wor kid:]

steve1888 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2016 12:06
It never ceases to amaze me how many FH threads mention kicking percentages. It doesn't have to be a FH kicking but more importantly percentages don't tell you everything as some take on much harder kicks on a regular basis.

pa8 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2016 12:17
Quote:
steve1888
It never ceases to amaze me how many FH threads mention kicking percentages. It doesn't have to be a FH kicking but more importantly percentages don't tell you everything as some take on much harder kicks on a regular basis.

Very true. Chris 'only in front of the posts' Paterson being a prime example.

cumbrian_falcon (IP Logged)
12 October, 2016 12:46
Surely given the lack of surfing opportunities in Coventry gopperth could be tempted back

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
12 October, 2016 12:58
I think our FH options are fine...just need gametime and / or some experience.

Delayney
Hodgson - Bench warmer - most likely get more time in the Euros
Willis - Will most likely play in the Euros
Catterick - Been Injured
Connon - The younger of the lot.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2016 13:08
Gopperth has just signed a new deal with Wasps so Coventry must have a flow rider.

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
12 October, 2016 13:08
Quote:
cumbrian_falcon
Surely given the lack of surfing opportunities in Coventry gopperth could be tempted back

Why?

Anyway, he's just signed a new contract

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
12 October, 2016 13:57
Quote:
cumbrian_falcon

I have heard that broadband in the Coventry area is pretty decent actually.

Almost quin (IP Logged)
12 October, 2016 19:19
For your info Demitri is replacing Evans and Swiel is still under contract with us for next season

12 October, 2016 20:51
Quote:
Almost quin
For your info Demitri is replacing Evans and Swiel is still under contract with us for next season

Is Evans retiring?

Almost quin (IP Logged)
13 October, 2016 08:31
Yes he is Ibelueve he will be moving to Quins coaching staff as backs coach next season

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
13 October, 2016 17:42
Quote:
Almost quin
Yes he is Ibelueve he will be moving to Quins coaching staff as backs coach next season

And well deserved too. He has been a cracking player for Quins, a good club man.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net