rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 18th November v Wasps at Ricoh Arena, 5.15pm

Friday 24th November v Gloucester at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 57-0 Cardiff Blues

Big Night flop Falcons19 chiefs 32
Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
18 November, 2016 21:48
Well we were ok in parts and below avarage in others

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 18/11/2016 21:50 by Falcons_Thunder.

Re: Big Night flop
Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
18 November, 2016 21:56
I mentioned it pre match, big attendance = poor performance, nowt new there
Delany poor again, Waldouck poor

18 November, 2016 22:06
Dean has to be looking at bringing in a premiership proven 10. Tho it's weather the club want to pay what a proven premiership 10 costs 500,000+

Re: Big Night flop Falcons19 chiefs 32
NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
18 November, 2016 22:10
It would be worth it. You add a Cipriani, Stenson, Myler and I'd be confident of us achieving a top 6 finish.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
18 November, 2016 22:19
I think a player in the Toby Flood mould would be a good option. Someone who will instil confidence in his peers around him and also direction. And also bring along the young players we have.
I can't see how a Delaney type player would instil confidence in our team when he appears not to have any himself.

DB23 (IP Logged)
18 November, 2016 22:25
I found that demoralising. Exeter aren't the best team in the league but I never thought we looked capable of winning the game. All of the effort put in behind the scenes to hype the game and boost the crowd has been another missed opportunity.

We were beaten in every way in every position. Exeter looked fitter, stronger, quicker, more physical, had more intensity and were better organised. We looked lightweight with little go forward and barely denting the gainline.

By the time Richards jettisons Delany there will be so much pressure on Hodgson or Willis to deliver they are likely to fail too due to the huge expectation placed upon them. He's not even kicking routine conversions. It's embarrassing, he looks embarrassed, Richards should be embarrassed and it looks like the players around him have lost faith too.

Running Rugby (IP Logged)
18 November, 2016 22:34
Could this decision be the making of Richards future at the Falcons?

As, I said, in a different thread. We do not have a premiership standard fly half, and Delany is becomming embarassing to be perfectly honest. He brings little to nothing each game, runs side ways, does not seem to be on the same page as the rest of the team, looks very laboured and like some have mentioned, even looks embarassed himself, to be on the pitch.

Hodgson is not the answer. Willis could be, but seems to be down in the pecking order, with the decision to play him as a 12, a rather bizarre one, as he was running games really well off the bench, last season, when Goodey called time for a corona.

Catterick could be a better option, if he gets over his injuries and regains his form, but he is still not what I would call, "premiership standard".

A top class fly half is almost or more important than a really good tighthead, and the Falcons are extremely lacking in the number 10 department at the moment.

The rest of the ingredients are looking like they are falling into place, but without someone to steer the ship and kick the goals then the recent progress is going to stall and fade away.

To be honest, Micky Young is not really helping things either.

We need a fresh injection into our half backs, with both Delany and Young being pushed aside, and shipped out.

Not sure how many years Young signed for, but he has not produced the goods either.

dick g (IP Logged)
18 November, 2016 22:40
Quote:
Falcons_Thunder
Dean has to be looking at bringing in a premiership proven 10. Tho it's weather the club want to pay what a proven premiership 10 costs 500,000+

Where is this saviour to be found? Premiership proven out halves are playing Premiership rugby.

I have not been so disappointed by a Falcons performance for years. Hope I have recovered by Dec 4, but I have my doubts. I think I can find something better to do with my time. Don't know what it is. But it won't have to be much to be better. Sorry folks.

falconbear (IP Logged)
18 November, 2016 22:45
Embarrassing. But credit to the off the field staff for 'tee-ing up' what could've been a great night oot. Alas i was in the house earlier than normal checking the Bristol/Wuss scores instead.

alas (IP Logged)
18 November, 2016 22:46
Not sure who gave Michael Young MOTM. Blind Pew? The Delany situation reminds me of Donald at Bath. Kept get picked because he was an All Black and on a high wage regardless of performance.

18 November, 2016 22:52
Doesn't even have to be premiership proven....Gopperth wasn't and he kept the falcons up for years.

Nick Evans was not premiership proven, and look at the career he has had a Quins.

The fly half does not have to be premiership proven, just of the standard that would suit the premiership. Mike Delany has never been that.

Toby Flood is a good shout, but he has done very little in Toulouse and is in and out of the team, every week, moved around and is usually benched for Jean-Marc Doussain, who is basically a converted scrum half.

I would like to see someone like Lima Sopoaga, but I think he is unrealistic, for what the Falcons can offer, and is part of the New Zealand squad at present.

Players like Ihaia West (Blues), Jean Luc Du Preez (Stormers), Francois Brummer (Bulls) would and could also be options but the same applies to the Sapoaga comment above.

Wonder how Berrick Barnes is doing in Japan and if he would fancy a stint in England for the Falcons......

If we could find another Gopperth type player, that would be ideal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/11/2016 22:54 by Running Rugby.

18 November, 2016 23:04
Marnitz Boshoff could have been a good shout let's see how he gets on for Connacht

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
18 November, 2016 23:18
Why was Fonua nit Brough in before 70 mins.

Why is Chisanga nit involved?

We still lack serious go forward and those two give us that. Hogg has been great for us but isn't explosive enough anymore, and Welch doesn't carry.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
18 November, 2016 23:19
Very disappointed, for me like most others have said we need a quality 10 if we don't then I feel we won't progress under our current fly halves. I also believe we lack some muscle in the midfield, somebody who can make some yards there an Eamonn Sheridan type centre would be nice. But again disappointed in that from us. smiling smiley

toonaew (IP Logged)
18 November, 2016 23:27
For what it's worth (probably nowt!) my thoughts on tonight below (and in no particular order, just need to vent!)

1) In Delaney and Young we have the worst half-back pairing in the Premiership. By a distance.
2) Our biggest plus is the forwards - commitment and passion.
3) I can only assume Sinoti was replaced due to frostbite as he hardly got a touch of the ball all night. Why, why, why....
4) 73 minutes to replace Delaney. Seriously???
5) Who on earth is actually responsible for choosing Man of the Match?? In future could they be sobriety tested beforehand or at least asked if they have actually watched any of the game?
6) If I was one of the people involved in promoting this game and the "Big Night Oot" I'd be devastated right now. The "match day experience" has improved and keeps improving (with the exception of the West Stand bars where the service/staff are still average at best) but if what happens on the pitch continues like tonight you must wonder what's the point..

I'm sure when I wake up in the morning I'll have a way more positive view, but in the meantime thanks for putting up with me getting this off my chest!

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
18 November, 2016 23:34
Only positive from tonight has to be the crowd and all the hard work by the marketing team, the game was shocking, if we persist with the half back paring of young sand Delaney then I will not renew next year, have better things to do that watch slow predictable unattractive "rugby"

alas (IP Logged)
18 November, 2016 23:45
Gf, I don't know what you've got against Hogg. He had a crucial role in both tries and is a lot more skilful overall than Fonoa and Chisanga. Worth bringing Fonoa on for a good minutes, but it would have been better to keep Hogg and move Wilson to the second row. All Young did was give away cheap penalties.

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
18 November, 2016 23:50
Massive shout out to all in the ground tonight, especially the south stand, the place was bouncing at times when the players weren't giving us much to shout about... quality backing, quality atmosphere...not so quality game

And big shout out to the marketing team! They have done really well to promote the club and widen the fan base... hats of to you guys.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 19/11/2016 00:15 by falconsfan07.

exhooker (IP Logged)
19 November, 2016 00:24
Delaney lost this game for us. We have a big crowd full of expectation and kick off straight into touch flattens them immediately. .Having had to hurry his first conversion because Exeter had worked out his first movement is backwards, he didn't learn with his second. We started the season well, and get worse every game. Who does choose man of the match? Tonight's award was hilarious.

pityacker (IP Logged)
19 November, 2016 07:48
Once again a miserable failure in front of a decent crowd many newcomers and older fans revisiting won't be back to watch the poor stuff on view. Beaten in every facet of the game by a decent Exeter team who were nowhere near their strongest side .Delany again being crucified and rightly so but he was just one of a number just not good enough. Exeter went forward all game while Falcons on most occasions ran into brick walls and totally frustrating to watch , despite going nowhere Richards waited til the game was almost gone before making the changes that were meant to make a difference off the bench. Hopeless.

19 November, 2016 08:12
Quote:
exhooker
Delaney lost this game for us. We have a big crowd full of expectation and kick off straight into touch flattens them immediately. .Having had to hurry his first conversion because Exeter had worked out his first movement is backwards, he didn't learn with his second. We started the season well, and get worse every game. Who does choose man of the match? Tonight's award was hilarious.

Delaney was poor especially the second half but you can't hang it all on him the other players are as equally to blame. Youngs no look pass 1st Exeter try waldock missed tackle 3rd try glen young infringement leading to the 4th try the team was a let down.
Next weeks game against saints isn't gonna be easy but they are missing a few internationals. But for me the Quin's game must be a win they will be missing a few big names and always dip during the international period

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
19 November, 2016 08:38
In January 2012 I walked out of Kingston Park with that empty feeling after we'd lost to Exeter Chiefs. A few days later resource starved Alan Tait, shabbily treated, paid the price for our lowly league position.

Last night, almost five years on, I felt exactly the same after pretty much the same performance against the same opposition.

Heroic, effective match promotion efforts by the club's management team brought to nothing by yet another unguided, bits-and-pieces display by a group of good players.

Once again we own our lovely stadium. We have invested in a superb playing surface fit for North East conditions, There's a cracking off-field Falcons management team full of ideas to boost revenue. There's plenty of rugby fans in the region to supplement the loyal core

Dean Richards has been given so much time and resources to get the Falcons established in the Premiership. However, as last night's flop sadly proved yet again, this club is going nowhere so long as he remains DOR at Kingston Park.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
19 November, 2016 09:27
Don't know what everyone is getting upset about, we're not the lowest points scorers in the division now! (Sm126)

Osric (IP Logged)
19 November, 2016 09:57
There's a lot in place now to dream of more than scrappy survival. Most (not all) agree that the main area for development are the critical 9/10 positions.
Either they can do it but have lost form or they aren't quite up to it. Either way the people in charge need to do something about it as that's what leadership is.
From last night:
Speed of service- way too slow
Box kicking - too far and not enough height so chasers are nowhere near
Place kicking - 7 easy points not taken at a time when those points would have given us the lead.
Decision making poor. E.g. We are down to 14, waiting to bring a replacement in for an injured player and rather than exit to touch, kick to their back three, with no chance if any chaser getting anywhere near them. Result =try to Exeter.

That said - well done to all those who worked so hard to get over 8000 there. Felt good to see KP so full. Great effort

steve1888 (IP Logged)
19 November, 2016 10:04
Cantabrian is right, surely Richards has to be seriously questioned soon. Players have been changed, coaches changed, off field staff changed but he is the constant with an under performing side - and not with a low budget.

Delaney has been hung out to dry basically but he's not selecting himself and guessing alot of it is doing as he's told despite it not being his natural game, the same happened with Gopperth for a while leading for him to be questioned on here.

We have a great stadium IMO, excellent club house bar, some quality players but it's one step forward and three back.

The interception may have been the half backs fault but Watson caught up easily and missed the tackle too and as much as I rate him he should have done better.

before the game I was discussing us ending the night above Exeter with them not playing anywhere near standards of recent seasons but left very disappointed. Can't see us getting anything at Saints so then Quins at home needs to be a huge improvement.

19 November, 2016 11:03
As, most of you know, I am not a fan of Richards and his coaches and have not been since he came in.

A change has been needed for a long time now.

As many have said, everything is in place off the field. We have a really good stadium, a pitch suited to fast flowing running rugby, and yet the performances on the field have been abject at best.

We are never going to kick on to the next level with the current regime in charge, as they do not seem to be able to see when things are not working.

What odds on Young and Delany starting next week, and the result being the same? Pretty high I would say.

The problem being is that Mr Kurdi seems to rate Richards and his staff very highly, and for what reason, I do not know.

aidanb (IP Logged)
19 November, 2016 11:17
There's a lot of negativity out here at the moment

The end result is we are disappointed we got beaten by Exeter!

Could any of us have said that when we went down ?

19 November, 2016 11:19
It is not the defeat we are all concerned about, it is the level of performance, which has been shocking for too long.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
19 November, 2016 11:54
Takelua just liked my tweet about hoping that was Delaney's last performance for the Falcons, wouldn't be surprised if the majority of the players agreed with this.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
19 November, 2016 11:55
We were only 2 points behind them at playing at home,why shouldn't we have expected or had realistic hopes for something from the game?

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
19 November, 2016 12:06
Hope you said something else in your tweet Norfolk F, find it horrifying that a team mate could 'like' a comment like that on social media, whatever us supporters think.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
19 November, 2016 14:00
Sounds like it was a good night apart from on the pitch - how many times have we said that down the years?!

I wasn't there last night but I've seen a few games this season and have obviously been reading opinions on here.

Quote:
Cantabrian
Dean Richards has been given so much time and resources to get the Falcons established in the Premiership. However, as last night's flop sadly proved yet again, this club is going nowhere so long as he remains DOR at Kingston Park.

We are established in the Premiership, we've been in relegation battles in Richards' time but never seriously looked like going down, and we're not looking likely to go down this season (Bristol are "improving" apparently - well, would you bet on them getting 12 more points than we do in the rest of the season?). You may be right that we're going nowhere - but that includes not going down. Lets not forget too that we've had our best start to a season for almost a decade, and certainly the best in our four Premiership seasons under Richards.

The thing that is starting to bug me is that things don't change. We play in the Premiership with pretty much the same team every week, sometimes we play well, probably 60-70% of the time we don't. Then we go into the cups and play different teams. Some fringe/young players play well, some don't, but then we come back to the Premiership and just do what we did before. If anything changes, then it's just the odd replacement place. So because the system and plan doesn't change, and for the most part the personnel don't change, the results don't change much either. Nobody ever got credit for just keeping doing the same thing over and over again when it wasn't working.

Delany is the focus of much attention. He clearly has some talent, but it just isn't working with him at the moment (nor Micky Young it seems). I was at Wasps and it was incredible to watch Delany and Gopperth, and realise that it was actually the former who has played for the All Blacks (albeit once many years ago). As Monkey said in his article, it would probably be a good idea to take Delany out of the firing line for a while and let him rebuild some confidence - whoever it was watched the game on TV said he didn't look happy. Throw Hodgson in, he doesn't hide under pressure (despite what some might want to believe) and though his place-kicking percentages aren't great, they're probably no worse than Delany's. Or play Catterick if we can get him fit.

Whatever happens, still looking forward to going to Northampton on Friday!

trummy200 (IP Logged)
19 November, 2016 14:31
The forums of all the teams whom are not doing as well as expected have one thread in common;
'We need a quality flyhalf'
Trouble is they ain't that thick on the ground!
Ford may be available soon -got any spare dosh!

upwardonward (IP Logged)
19 November, 2016 15:53
I have to agree with a lot of what has been already said.
Delaney was very poor, and as mentioned previously, to start the game by kicking the ball straight out ,allowing Exeter a scrum on the half way line, is a schoolboy error.Any kind of momentum from the start is lost. Not the first time either.
Then Michael Young who was "Blind Pughs" MOM,throws a ridiculous pass and its 7-0 down.
The forwards got us back in to the game and then pass me the "shoot in the foot gun" again more mistakes.
Waldouck looked last night that he could not tackle a paper bag, missed his tackles and another try goes in.A repeat then follows later in the game.
However ,IMO ,the minute we spread the game ,allowed Watson to run, we played some lovely rugby and score a super try by probably by my MOM Alex Tait.
Tait was my only pick of the backs last night.Safe hands,ran with the ball,tackeld solid and scored a lovely try.
Wilson and Welch were the pick of the forwards and tbh most of the forwards had Ok games ,all giving a reasonable account of themselves.
The backs out there last night were simply not good enough!
We do need to sort out a decent 9 and 10 .
Unfortunately I understand we did pick up 2 very bad injuries last night to IMO big players to the club.I am sure they will be announcing them shortly.

Heres hoping Nili is not far away from a return.

A tramp abroad (IP Logged)
19 November, 2016 16:46
Quote:
Leipziger
Nobody ever got credit for just keeping doing the same thing over and over again when it wasn't working.

It is the definition of stupidity.

Osric (IP Logged)
19 November, 2016 19:39
Our main threats are (we're) on the wings. They don't get the ball. It's dumb and really obvious. That's the frustration.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net