rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next two matches

Friday 28 April Newcastle Falcons v Worcester Warriors at Kingston Park, 8.00pm

Saturday 6 May Bristol Rugby v Newcastle Falcons at Ashton Gate, 4.00pm

Last result: Leicester Tigers 30-3 Newcastle Falcons

Joel Hodgson
dick g (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 10:54
There have been a few mentions of Joel on other postings, but I think it will be interesting to have a specific posting.

I well remember my regret, and surprise, when he left us. He had been, IMHO, very badly advised to become a scrum half at Saints.

When he first played on his reappearance with us, I was a shade disappointed. He did not seem to be the Joel who had left us.

All that has changed. Under Dave Walder's guidance he is becoming a top class fh. He reads the game well, has a very good pass and is becoming one hell of a kicker. His sole detectable weakness is in his tackling which is not yet in the Johnny W, Rob A class.

And with our new success as a club, I reckon we should be able to hold onto him. Finally, his pairing with Tacky is developing all the time.

Is he an England prospect? Over to you......

Re: Joel Hodgson
GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 11:00
I thought Joel made some very big and a couple of very important tackles against Bath....and the lad is bravery epitomised!

I don't really care if my fly half doesn't make Samoan style tackles. I just want him to be solid...and I think Joel is.

I voiced my disappointment when his return was announced...(likewise Vickers being moved to LH) and im very happy to say in both cases it has been well and truly shoved down my throat.

Whats impressed me more than his actual passing and gainline play is he seems to have improved his tactical play. At times on Friday he could have ran for the sake of it...but instead chose to kick perfectly to touch deep into the Bath 22...just keeping them pinned back. He read the game well and that's the sign of a good fly half. And hes still a work in progress.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2017 11:20 by GeordieFalcon.

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 11:07
Joel when he left the I believe deano said he had to grow up! and the failure of his time away might have just done the trick.

trummy200 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 11:18
Looks to have that X factor to me. A good fly half is worth his wait in gold hence why half the forums bemoan their teams lack of quality there. He may make a few mistakes which hopefully he will eradicate as time goes by. Thought he looked the real deal against Bath-and bear in mind only he that does nothing never makes a mistake!

CSGG (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 11:26
Joels defence and kicking from hand was superb on Saturday, it was his ability with ball in hand that really caught the eye, the zip he applies to passes and the bravery to take the ball right up to the defending players before giving an offload.

As has been mentioned though his weakness is still his game management when things are not necessarily going our way.

The prospect of Harris, Sinoti, Hammer, Watson, Latu, Fonua playing off this lad is pretty exciting.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 11:30
He really zips his passes out and gets the line moving, and I thought he outplayed George Ford on the night.

AFalcon23 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 11:50
Like most I was 50/50 when we signed him again. But I think he has been a stand out player for us this season. I have been so impressed with him, I do wonder if it helped him been around the likes of Sinfield the rugby league legend at Yorkshire. smiling smiley

Leipziger (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 12:09
Quote:
dick g
His sole detectable weakness is in his tackling which is not yet in the Johnny W, Rob A class.

Very few fly-halves are as good in defence as Jonny Wilkinson. On Joel specifically, I disagree that it's a weakness in his game. On Friday he saved a try by a tackle that particularly impressed me because he went low and got the attacker around the legs, meaning that the attacker could do nothing but fall over. Compared to a lot of players who would have gone high and been run over, or made a half-hearted one-arm attempt at a tackle, it was very good and suggested a cool head.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 12:22
His all round game, the complete package, is turning out to be a class act. More than anything else he keeps his sensible head on & reads the game well. I would guess that his tendency to panic when we are on the back foot will disappear with experience.He showed no sign of it on Friday when we were 12 points down with only 10 minutes left on the clock.

dick g (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 15:12
Quote:
Leipziger
Quote:
dick g
His sole detectable weakness is in his tackling which is not yet in the Johnny W, Rob A class.

Very few fly-halves are as good in defence as Jonny Wilkinson. On Joel specifically, I disagree that it's a weakness in his game. On Friday he saved a try by a tackle that particularly impressed me because he went low and got the attacker around the legs, meaning that the attacker could do nothing but fall over. Compared to a lot of players who would have gone high and been run over, or made a half-hearted one-arm attempt at a tackle, it was very good and suggested a cool head.

OK Leipy, I sit corrected.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 17:37
I think Joel is solid enough in defence - he certainly is no Cipriani (at least how Cips used to be). I don't recollect RA having a great defence - not bad either tbf.

It takes a lot to admit a mistake and go back. Joel has made some tough decisions and I'm glad for him and the team it works out. Hopefully his development will challenge those competing for the shirt to step up their own performance.

Running Rugby (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 19:03
I must say that I was also one of those that questioned the re-signing of Joel Hodgson, but have been very impressed with him lately and am happy to eat my words.

He is becomming a really good fly half, and may have saved Deano and his coaches a hell of a lot of money in the close season. Money which will hopefully be spent fleshing out the centre, and scrum half stocks.

Support Help for Heroes -
[www.helpforheroes.org.uk]

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
09 January, 2017 19:06
Quote:
Running Rugby
He is becomming a really good fly half, and may have saved Deano and his coaches a hell of a lot of money.....

Good point RR. If Joel turns out to be the class act that he looks like becoming I hope he is rewarded appropriately so he stays rather than having to trek off to pastures new again. I like him as a player, and I like him as one of our own, and I want him to stay.

10 January, 2017 08:03
Quote:
Monkey1
Quote:
Running Rugby
He is becomming a really good fly half, and may have saved Deano and his coaches a hell of a lot of money.....

Good point RR. If Joel turns out to be the class act that he looks like becoming I hope he is rewarded appropriately so he stays rather than having to trek off to pastures new again. I like him as a player, and I like him as one of our own, and I want him to stay.

We still need a quality FH if we are gonna push up the league. Hodgson needs someone to push him week in week out for the 10 jersey it shouldn't be guaranteed like it is at the min. I would still offer Flood a 3/4 year contract if he was available

10 January, 2017 08:18
How old is Flood though? Wouldn't 3/4 years be a bit excessive? I'd be happy to see him back, just not sure how many years he has left in the tank?

dick g (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 09:15
Quote:
Kwa444
I think Joel is solid enough in defence - he certainly is no Cipriani (at least how Cips used to be). I don't recollect RA having a great defence - not bad either tbf.
It takes a lot to admit a mistake and go back. Joel has made some tough decisions and I'm glad for him and the team it works out. Hopefully his development will challenge those competing for the shirt to step up their own performance.

I recall Rob as a fierce tackler both for club and country.

10 January, 2017 09:36
Quote:
Bedlington Lad
How old is Flood though? Wouldn't 3/4 years be a bit excessive? I'd be happy to see him back, just not sure how many years he has left in the tank?

He's 31-32 this year. 35-36 still isn't that old for a quality FH. Look at Goode Hodgson both played into their mid 30's

DeceptivePace (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 10:13
Stuart Barnes is singing Joel's praises in his Sky column, comparing his ability to control the game to another Hodgson, ex of Sale and Saracens. Now that's a compliment.

trummy200 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 13:09
Bit confused now - I usually, somehow, disagree with what Mr Barnes utters!

10 January, 2017 13:23
Does anyone listen to Stuart Barnes?

pa8 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 13:57
Quote:
dick g
Quote:
Kwa444

I recall Rob as a fierce tackler both for club and country.

After watching a succession of powder puff fly halves in the England jersey, Horton, Cusworth etc., it was refreshing to have Rob Andrew, who tackled like a back row.

aidanb (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 14:05
and is why Barnes got spelks in his backside and is so bitter about the Falcons

pa8 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 14:30
Quote:
aidanb
and is why Barnes got spelks in his backside and is so bitter about the Falcons

Most definitely.

10 January, 2017 14:55
Really by now Barnes should be over it. If ends up here some time maybe our P.A. guy could play "let it go!" from Frozen and we could belt out a chorus or two for him

Leipziger (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 15:00
Quote:
Bedlington Lad
Really by now Barnes should be over it. If ends up here some time maybe our P.A. guy could play "let it go!" from Frozen and we could belt out a chorus or two for him

There's a Geordie version knocking around on the web somewhere :-)

pa8 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 17:48

Robs (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 21:20
Quote:
Bedlington Lad

I'd be very surprised if Toby came back. He and his wife love it in France and there are no family reasons to come back to the North East. His folks moved to Leicestershire a few years ago and his sister lives in Sydney. Think it's more likely he'll move to another French team if Toulouse don't offer a new deal

Falconski (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 21:45
We do not need Toby Flood back i was at both the Bath and Wasps game in both games Joel proved he is worthy of that 10 shirt for a long long time.

Getting Delaney off the wage bill and giving Catterick more game time would make more sense. I do not rate Delaney at all Donald mark two

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2017 21:49 by Falconski.

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 21:56
Quote:
Falconski
We do not need Toby Flood back i was at both the Bath and Wasps game in both games Joel proved he is worthy of that 10 shirt for a long long time.
Getting Delaney off the wage bill and giving Catterick more game time would make more sense. I do not rate Delaney at all Donald mark two

Joel actually gets the back line going. Has a great ability to take the ball flat to the line and whip a ball across to someone in space. A bit like a rugby league pass.

Dont know what it was, but Delany just use to get the ball and run across the pitch before passing the ball, Joel just goes forward puts other people in space...

Running Rugby (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 22:02
Quote:
Falconski

I have to agree regarding Toby Flood, who has been very disappointing since signing for Toulouse. He has been unable to hold down a starting place for more than two or three games and has been shipped around between 10 and 12. He is currently behind Doussain and McAlister, both of whom, have also not performed this season. Yes, he is out of contract, but going on the last couple of years, I would not have him back.

Joel is proving that he can handle the 10 shirt at the Falcons now, and will only keep getting better. I do like the idea of him and Catterick battling it out for the shirt, but at the moment, Catterick is nowhere near even challenging for a role in the 23, never mind the starting line up. Plus he is out of contract at the end of the season, with small prospect of a renewal based on the last two years of injuries and lack of game time.

Delany must be paid up and removed from the wage bill, with a top class replacement or promising youngster brought in to provide competition for Hodgson.

Support Help for Heroes -
[www.helpforheroes.org.uk]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/01/2017 22:10 by Running Rugby.

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 22:22
Quote:
Running Rugby
Quote:
Falconski

I have to agree regarding Toby Flood, who has been very disappointing since signing for Toulouse. He has been unable to hold down a starting place for more than two or three games and has been shipped around between 10 and 12. He is currently behind Doussain and McAlister, both of whom, have also not performed this season. Yes, he is out of contract, but going on the last couple of years, I would not have him back.

Joel is proving that he can handle the 10 shirt at the Falcons now, and will only keep getting better. I do like the idea of him and Catterick battling it out for the shirt, but at the moment, Catterick is nowhere near even challenging for a role in the 23, never mind the starting line up. Plus he is out of contract at the end of the season, with small prospect of a renewal based on the last two years of injuries and lack of game time.

Delany must be paid up and removed from the wage bill, with a top class replacement or promising youngster brought in to provide competition for Hodgson.

Agree with all of that, TC has to show something in Europe and the AW or he may not get a renewal, be a shame if he didn't, one of the local lads I'd like to keep and is probably a great guy to have in the squad. I think he'll get a renewal anyway. We know what he is capable of.

Agree on Delany, anyone know how long Ben ransom is contracted with London Irish for? Would love to see him on our turf!

AFalcon23 (IP Logged)
10 January, 2017 22:57
I also believe McAlister has signed for Toulon for next season. So to be honest I can't see Flood coming back. smiling smiley

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 08:21
Step 1. Imagine Joel gets some sort of long term injury, ACL is always a nasty one.

Step 2. Ask if we need another quality 10 in the squad.

Step 3. Turn to drink. Won't fix the problem but puts it out of focus.

aidanb (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 11:45
[quote Running Rugby][quote Falconski]...Delany must be paid up and removed from the wage bill, with a top class replacement or promising youngster brought in to provide competition for Hodgson.[/quote]

Why would you pay him up and remove him?

He may not have had a great start to this season but he is a 10.

What happens if - god forbid - JH, TC and CW all get injured ?

as he is already on the bill then it is a cost you should carry for its length and then not extend

11 January, 2017 13:02
Delaney is good 15 cover as well

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 14:14
Theres young Brett Conon aswell coming through and has quite a bit of 1st team exposure already....

Another smaller skilled FH in the Ford, Hodgson stamp.

Falconski (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 17:03
So thats Joel, Catterick, Craig Willis, Brett Connon and do we really need Delaney a fly half past his best on a large salary?

His salary would be better spent on lets say a long term Bobby Vickers replacement, or another forward as Davey Wilson seems well as injury prone as when he left.

eebagum (IP Logged)
11 January, 2017 18:31
Eventually at last, we had mention of Craig Willis and Brett Connon both with first team experience and the right age to add to the quality of our squad in the next couple of years. As Wensleydale Falcon mentioned on a previous thread the old pros can add so much to the development of our younger players.
We keep Mike Delaney, good cover for a number of positions, and to help with the younger players. We don't need Toby now if he would consider a move or not.
It will be interesting to see Deanos choice of number 10 for our Cup games and how they perform.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Newcastle Falcons Poll

Is this a poll

See results > Submit >>