rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 15th December v Dragons at Rodney Parade, 7.30pm

Saturday 23rd December v Harlequins at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 52-24 Bordeaux-Begles

***NEW MAJOR SIGNING, DTH VAN DER MERWE***
falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 13:37
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/741419453028564992/9TqcSTAx_400x400.jpg

Newcastle falcons have confirmed that Canadian & Scarlet's winger, DTH VAN DER MERWE, will link up with the premiership side in the summer.

Another top signing by Deano, should have a good 3 or 4 years left in him, absolutely tore it up for Canada in RWC 2015. Can't wait to see him have a go on our turf. Welcome to the Falcons family DTH!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 22/02/2017 12:35 by falconsfan07.

Re: ***NEW MAJOR SIGNING, ANNOUNCED TOMORROW***
Monkey1 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 13:44
Or it could be Dan Carter.

Or it could be Great Uncle Bulgaria.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/wombles/images/c/c5/Great_uncle_bulgaria_1990s.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130325225948

Any more guesses before tomorrow?

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 13:46
DTH Van Der Mwerve I would say but we could be wrong. smiling smiley

toonaew (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 14:10
Quote:
Monkey1
Or it could be Dan Carter.
Or it could be Great Uncle Bulgaria.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/wombles/images/c/c5/Great_uncle_bulgaria_1990s.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20130325225948

Any more guesses before tomorrow?

Can't help but think that Tomsk surely has better attributes for the modern power game?

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Kraken (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 14:33
Ha ha! Quality. Great Uncle Bulgaria would be a great front row addition!

What's going on? There is a serious amount of talent incoming. Makes a change when we usually get all the talent going the other way - lured off by bigger money with other clubs. I'm not complaining like.

It's going to be something to behold and the strength in depth that we are building has so much potential it's unreal!

It's a trick...get an axe.

FFL (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 14:40
Van Der Merwe is now following the Falcons on twitter... Usually a give away

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 16:10
I'm sure this might be the final nail in the coffin for Watson going to wasps

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 16:24
Yeah I agree FalcT

Watson MUST be on his way.

But there must be a couple of others. maybe Powell? Catterick?

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 16:46
As much as DTH would be a quality signing, I'd be disappointed if we lost Watson which unfortunately does look likely.

He might not be the best defensively but he is a better all round winger than Sinoti, offers a better all round balance especially away from home with his kick chasing ability and he is much younger than Sinoti, Goneva and DTH. I remember at the start of the season when we were playing Goneva/Sinoti together on the wings we would continuously kick the ball without any decent chasers. When Watson rejoined the team we significantly improved in this area.

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 16:55
Quote:
NorfolkFalcon
As much as DTH would be a quality signing, I'd be disappointed if we lost Watson which unfortunately does look likely.
He might not be the best defensively but he is a better all round winger than Sinoti, offers a better all round balance especially away from home with his kick chasing ability and he is much younger than Sinoti, Goneva and DTH. I remember at the start of the season when we were playing Goneva/Sinoti together on the wings we would continuously kick the ball without any decent chasers. When Watson rejoined the team we significantly improved in this area.

Have to disagree there Norfolk, I had my doubts over Sinoti, but on Sunday I ate humble pie, he beat beat 12 defenders, something which no one has done since 2009, yes Watson makes breaks and has incredible pace, but he doesn't look the safest under the high ball, doesn't have as high a workrate in my opinion and can miss the tackles.

Sinoti also puts in a good shift at the breakdown and generally works in off his wing in attack and defence. and is just solid for strength, he'll give you go forward close to the breakdowns against props and second rows. something Marcus doesn't do.

I highly doubt Watson could knock over props like Sinoti does.

And lastly he can play 13. Hell of a passer too. It's not hard to chase a ball from a kick, anyone can do it.

I like Watson a lot but if he decides to leave at such a raving and exciting time, it shows that he doesn't want to be a part of what's going on up here and would rather be else where and shows that he was using the club as a stepping stone.

All well and good if he stays, but I won't be sobbing if he leaves us...

pityacker (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 17:26
Everone is entitled to an opinion and I also will be really sorry when Marcus Watson goes which the recruitment od DTH makes it virtually certain.Sinoti and Watson are totally different players in every way watson can do things Sinoti cant and visa versa but one is in his thirties
nearing the end of his playing days and one ine his mid twenties. I think they are bothe superb players and would love to keep them both.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 17:37
I wonder, could it be Kieron Brookes again? Nah! must be Great Uncle Bulgaria

pa8 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 17:43
Quote:
Cantabrian

One is a roly poly hairy thing that eats a lot and the other is a womble (Sm163)

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 17:45
Quote:
pityacker
Everone is entitled to an opinion and I also will be really sorry when Marcus Watson goes which the recruitment od DTH makes it virtually certain.Sinoti and Watson are totally different players in every way watson can do things Sinoti cant and visa versa but one is in his thirties
nearing the end of his playing days and one ine his mid twenties. I think they are bothe superb players and would love to keep them both.

Completely agree, Barr not being gutted. I want to see Kibirige given a go.

Running Rugby (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 17:45
Any ideas on the time of the announcement? Smithy can you divulge?

DeceptivePace (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 18:26
Might have agreed with you about our wings before the Saints game, but Sinoti has got his mojo back and then some.
I'm a fan of what Watson brings to the side, but like other finely tuned athletes, he's more likely to strain/tear/tweak something than Goneva or Sinoti. I like the idea of planning for the future with younger players, but next season has the makings of a BIG one for us. I'm happy to have front line players of whatever vintage representing us. Latu for example was 34 or 35 recently but looks like he has plenty of miles still on the clock.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 18:55
Quote:
pa8
Quote:
Cantabrian

One is a roly poly hairy thing that eats a lot and the other is a womble (Sm163)

(Sm22)

bulmer22 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 19:36
It is really encouraging that we are now in a good place, squad wise, that if Marcus leaves we still have strength in depth to replace him. Competition for places and a happy bunch of players is so important to us progressing. Come on Falcons.

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 21:07
Watched sinoti and goneva on the wings towards the start of the season and they were both starved of the ball and didn't give us any goforward we changed the half backs and look at what they did to saints on Sunday, both players were given quick ball and ball in space both bouncing players off and evading tackles

davidten (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 21:29
Any chance it could be Ian Madigan ??

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 22:07
Quote:
davidten
Any chance it could be Ian Madigan ??

Off to saints I believe.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
21 February, 2017 22:23
Don't get me wrong, I love Sinoti and I'm really glad that he showed glimpses of returning to his form shown a couple of seasons ago as he is unplayable on his day, just think that Watson is a better all round winger. Let's hope Sinoti can thrive under our new attacking gameplan and can maintain some consistency.

bunch of flankers (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 06:40
Watson, Catterick, Powell and Harris?

bunch of flankers (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 06:45
Van De Mwerve or the young French prop from Lyon, the 'Beast', the latter having being announced in several French sites

pityacker (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 07:50
Smithy said a major new signing therefore the young prop from Lyon sicknamed the beast who hasn't played a lot of games for them would hardly come under major unless they are commenting on his size (Sm161)

22 February, 2017 09:11
Quote:
pityacker
Smithy said a major new signing therefore the young prop from Lyon sicknamed the beast who hasn't played a lot of games for them would hardly come under major unless they are commenting on his size (Sm161)

But is DTH a "Major" signing a good signing yes but major? No

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/02/2017 09:11 by Falcons_Thunder.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 09:22
DTH would be a great signing, no question.

pityacker (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 09:29
If what the coach at Scarlett said is true then DTH is considered MAJOR enough at KP to give a player who is 31 this year a 3 year deal.

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 10:20
Watson and Harris off to wasps confirmed

NellyWellyWaspy (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 10:22
Sad for you guys, but Watson and Harris are indeed off to Wasps. Watson may not be the biggest guy in the world, but he sure plays big.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 10:55
Wonder how much game time they'll get?

eebagum (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 11:04
Thanks for the post Nelly, but we have so much quality up here I think some of the lads are concerned about how much game time they will be getting next season.
Marcus has got sheer pace and enjoyed the space in the Sevens Game but we have 3 more in our ranks who I believe are more effective in the Premiership.He will tho, fit into your style of rugby...and hopefully he will escape injury.
Ben is very talented but not sure of his best position yet- maybe too tall for a Premiership Prop but we will see.
We will have an even better squad ready for next season, and our games should provide for some excellent running rugby.

22 February, 2017 12:27
having just read his stats on the ezine and the fact he;'s got pals here already and like lake District holidays, I hope he'll settle really quickly and be a major player for us.

Re: ***NEW MAJOR SIGNING, DTH VAN DER MWERVE***
markismith50 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 12:36
I spent a good while chatting to DTH last week. Absolute diamond of a bloke and positively brimming with enthusiasm about this move. A consistently proven try-scorer who has done heaps of research on the club and the area before making the switch.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 12:38
Quote:
markismith50
I spent a good while chatting to DTH last week. Absolute diamond of a bloke and positively brimming with enthusiasm about this move. A consistently proven try-scorer who has done heaps of research on the club and the area before making the switch.

Does that mean this signing is now officially confirmed Smithy?

Certainly an unusual way to announce it but I love variety.

Re: ***NEW MAJOR SIGNING, DTH VAN DER MERWE***
markismith50 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 12:41
I received my ezine 10mins ago, Monkey!

22 February, 2017 12:45
Great signing....

DTH
Mermoz
Matavesi

That makes a big statement already!

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 12:46
Quote:
markismith50

Good to hear smithy, read what he had to say about the club, sounds really keen to get in. Where building some squad for next season! Any other news coming soon or is that it for now.

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 12:48
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
Great signing....
DTH
Mermoz
Matavesi

That makes a big statement already!

All solid internationals as well!

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 13:00
A cracking signing for us this. smiling smiley

22 February, 2017 13:01
That gives us some serious options next season!

10-Hodgson, Matavesi x 2, Delayney, Willis, Connon

12 - JP Socino, Mermoz, Matavesi x 2

13 - Mermoz, Harris, Waldouck, DTH, Penny, Stevenson

Wing - Sinoti, Goneva, DTH, Kibirige, Marshall, Radwan, Stevenson

Fb - Tait, Hammersley

Imagine the experience the kids are going to learn off those guys aswell!!

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 13:07
Quote:
markismith50
I received my ezine 10mins ago, Monkey!

So did I (presumably) but I won't see it until late tonight as I am nowhere near that email account.

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 13:08
Quote:
GeordieFalcon

Fb - Tait, Hammersley

It's an amazing time to be supporting this club, we've been through the lows, hopefully where about to get the highs (touch wood).

It really is great, that we are looking long term as well, the young lads coming through the academy are great prospects.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 13:11
Sorry Monkey I was just joshing. The ezine was set to go at noon and the wider public release at 1pm.

too_tall_to_tackle (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 13:15
Great signing. He was great for Glasgow a few years back (I haven't seen much of him at Scarlets so can't comment). Priority now is a loose head, maybe a tight head and scrum half cover. I also think we could do with a bit more cover at full back as we may be a bit light there especially with playing in the champions cup ;-)

Otherwise we look strong (assuming everyone else stays)!

telfs123 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 13:17
I remember a few years back where our "major" signing was Gcobani Bobo (a lovely chap capable of destroying people in the tackle, but sadly incapable of catching the ball...). Shows how far the club has come under Deano.

22 February, 2017 13:21
Our biggest and best signing - Dean Richards

22 February, 2017 13:25
Quote:
GeordieFalcon

Fb - Tait, Hammersley

Imagine the experience the kids are going to learn off
those guys aswell!!

That's assuming Tait, Harris, waldouck, and penny all sign new contracts all out of contract at the end of the season

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/02/2017 13:28 by Falcons_Thunder.

aidanb (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 13:35
I am a little unsure as to the complaints about SinSin or even Marcus Watson.

The 2 early second half tries scored by Takawala (as the TV commentator called him in the first half) would not have been scored if Watson had been on the wing instead of SinSin.

Thats not to say Watson can't score tries it is to say that the sidestepping to beat a man inside a phone box space was what created the opportunity. Marcus scores more tries like the one where he beat Cipriani for pace into a small gap.

It would be nice to have both options

As for Watson leaving, well surely he is just taking the opportunity offered him of presumably more money and maybe a move closer to family and home. I don't see him as a mercenary showing a lack of anything for the club. I see this as normal in the modern game.

trummy200 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 14:11
Quite right aidanb - its the modern game - not sure I particularly like it at times though!

Leipziger (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 14:23
Quote:
telfs123
I remember a few years back where our "major" signing was Gcobani Bobo (a lovely chap capable of destroying people in the tackle, but sadly incapable of catching the ball...). Shows how far the club has come under Deano.

"If Bobo scores, we're on the pitch!" Probably the only South African driving a tiny yellow car around west Newcastle.

Don't know that much about DTH/VDM but he seems to have a lot of fans impressed so seems to be a decent replacement for Watson.

Running Rugby (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 15:24
Quote:
GeordieFalcon

Fb - Tait, Hammersley

Is Connon a fly half or full back? he is listed as a full back on the official website. Just wondering, as I am sure I watched him play both at 10 and 15 for Ireland u20s last year.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/02/2017 15:27 by Running Rugby.

22 February, 2017 15:33
Im pretty sure he's a Fly Half RR, at least that what he was previously.

Maybe like all 10's these days , they seem to get brought through at 15...maybe its seen as a similar skill set but a bit further away for the intense action.

But what do I know...he may have been switched to FB grinning smiley

markismith50 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 15:59
Brett plays 15 or 10, has played both for club and country

eebagum (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 17:55
Just a thought...who would you rather have in your team...
Someone who has played International Rugby regularly, played European Cup Rugby regularly,
Played in the 2015 World Cup tournament, played for two top teams in the Pro 12, and wants to join Falcons
or someone who has played Sevens Rugby for England and in the Olympics and half a season in the Premiership, -and who does nt want to play for you
You are right...no contest, DTH....A big welcome to Falcons.

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 18:09
Quote:
eebagum
Someone who has played International Rugby regularly, played European Cup Rugby regularly,
Played in the 2015 World Cup tournament, played for two top teams in the Pro 12, and wants to join Falcons
or someone who has played Sevens Rugby for England and in the Olympics and half a season in the Premiership, -and who does nt want to play for you

Eebagum - it's far simpler than that, they either want to play for us or they don't.

If they don't then no hard feelings (Brookes excepted - you don't do it twice!) - they may have a perfectly good reason...... or they may not - several have already found the grass is not necessarily greener etc. Occasionally it is greener, but would anyone really say we have missed Barrow this season?

We've so far signed three players from teams playing in the Champions Cup - we will lose a few, that's life

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 18:10
Quote:
eebagum
or someone who has played Sevens Rugby for England and in the Olympics and half a season in the Premiership, -and who does nt
want to play for you

X2

Completely agree, and he loves his defence/slowing down ball, quality addition to the squad!

22 February, 2017 19:46
Good luck to the lads, players come and players go, one injury and that's your career finished so if they're getting more money / opportunities i wish them well. Brookes not so becuase he did it to us twice!

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
22 February, 2017 21:31
I have no problem with players moving on, it is part of the professional game. We have good players moving in and good players moving out. It isn't anything personal, Marcus for example will have been discussing this with the management for months, and no doubt that process has influenced the amount of encouragement given to attract DTHVDM to KP.

Players like Marcus leave here with my best wishes for the future, and players like DTHVDM arrive with my most heart-felt welcome. As CharlieDog mentions above, we have attracted 3 good players from the top level, so criticising others for leaving is a bit unrealistic about life.

The only exception to the above being Brookes of course.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
23 February, 2017 08:33
DTH is certainly a good signing and will bring a different quality to the squad. Sometimes I think Sinoti dances and steps a bit too much rather than just hjust go for it and for a big strong lad can be week defensively but can also give teams serious headaches. goneva is the best winger we have, fantastic player.

limpopo (IP Logged)
23 February, 2017 11:24
Quote:
Bedlington Lad

Without any doubt at all!!!

23 February, 2017 11:27
Quote:
limpopo
Quote:
Bedlington Lad

Without any doubt at all!!!

Hardly are biggest and best signing mermoz has 30 plus France caps that's teir 1 rugby. 3 champions cup winner medals 1 top 14 championship winner medal and a RWC runner up medal. Maxi is the Falcons star signing by a mile so far

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 23/02/2017 11:38 by Falcons_Thunder.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
25 February, 2017 09:37
I see that he scored in the win against Munster last night. smiling smiley

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
25 February, 2017 09:39
Well I thought he did going by BBC last night but it doesn't show on BBC today looking at the result. smiling smiley

too_tall_to_tackle (IP Logged)
28 May, 2017 08:50
Just watched the pro12 highlights and dth scored a cracking try, full of power and pace. Looking forward to seeing what he can do in a falcons shirt!

alas (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 07:16
Great finish for the try, but also let Munster in for a score with poor defence.

31 May, 2017 07:02
If he scores tries like that on a regular basis I'll forgive the odd defensive lapse

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net