rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 15th December v Dragons at Rodney Parade, 7.30pm

Saturday 23rd December v Harlequins at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 52-24 Bordeaux-Begles

Today's Rugby Paper
pityacker (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 11:28
They reckon we are having talks with Toby Flood after Worcester have put their recruitment on hold until they complete a review of the club and its staff plus Cooper Vuna the Tongan winger from Worcester.

Re: Today's Rugby Paper
Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 11:31
It's no surprise this rumour has come around regards Flood, however if space became available in our squad for another FH I would be over the moon with Toby
Vuna ? A powerful winger but with the wing options we have I don't see the need

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 11:40
Just choked on my cereal with delight that we are in for flood hope it comes true

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 11:59
I can't help feeling that this is no more than just journalistic claptrap, but if it came true I could see Toby fitting into the squad very well. He started his career at KP & would maybe aspire to becoming a local hero, and they often make the best players.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 12:16
Most teams are linked with many players at this time of the season. I see Flood got a red card last week for Toulouse I believe. grinning smiley

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 19:56
Having now read today's rugby paper, the Flood returns story is Fisslers main article
Whether this adds any credit to the story or not I don't know
And the way the Cooper Vuna story is written it sounds as if it's a done deal

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 20:15
As it goes for Vuna he is a big strong winger, could turn out to be a solid signing that if it happens. smiling smiley

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 20:50
Quote:
AFalcon23
As it goes for Vuna he is a big strong winger, could turn out to be a solid signing that if it happens. smiling smiley

Surely his name is far too short for your tastes AF.
(Sm100)

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 21:06
Joel can learn so much from Toby Flood. It seems an ideal signing for me
Joel, Willis, Matavesi Jr. can all learn from Flood, at 31 he's not going to be around for ever but say 2 years down the line mentoring the younger fly halves can only be a positive in their development and in the mean time we have a top fly half who's played at the top for a decade

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
19 March, 2017 23:57
Can I cancel my season ticket if it's true....... please please please tell me it's journalistic rubbish

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 05:21
Flood would be a great signing, I'd be really happy with this. I'm unsure how it would work though with Hodgson, Matavesi and Delany on the books who can all play 10, I just can't see it happening.

Same with Vuna too. We have numerous very good wing options in Sinoti, Goneva and DTH, how would we fit them all in if fit? Don't get me wrong, Vuna is excellent but not really needed.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 06:36
Flood plays very well at 12 too and would be a very welcome addition the squad. If Vuna is coming I'd expect it means we're losing more than just Watson but he's a good replacement if we are.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 07:42
As Steve 1888 says, Flood can play at 12, so if it's true I suppose he would be a second playmaker outside whoever is wearing the ten jersey. It's generally worked ok for England with the Ford/Farrell axis, I'd be interested to see if it works for the Falcons

pityacker (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 08:42
Reported in todays French paper Midi Olympique that there are 3 clubs interested in Flood , Bayonne , Worcester and Falcons.

20 March, 2017 10:54
Fissler is normally 90% right. If we got flood back and added vuna we could potentially have a top 4 team. The back line below looks deadly

Vickers
Cooper
Welsh
Green
Robinson
Wilson
Welch
Latu

Takalu
Flood
Sinoti/DTH
JP
Maxi
Goneva
Tait

Lockwood
Lawson
Wilson
Witty
Olmstead
Young
Hodgson
Vuna

dick g (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 11:00
If Toby does return I shall enjoy reviving my nickname for him. Noah. Get it? Flood, Noah. OK. Not one of my best.....

Leipziger (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 12:17
Quote:
CharlieDog
Can I cancel my season ticket if it's true....... please please please tell me it's journalistic rubbish

Bit drastic, surely?

I'd very much like to see Flood back at the Falcons, hopefully he still has a few years left as a player in his own right but could also be a good mentor for Hodgson, Willis and Connon.

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 12:48
I think if flood signs, Delany will be off I reckon...no need to have this many 10s on the books.

Flood...if he signs
Hodgson
Delany
Willis
Connon

And Catterick if he's here next season, didn't someone say he was off to Bristol?

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 13:23
Quote:
Monkey1
Quote:
AFalcon23

Surely his name is far too short for your tastes AF.
(Sm100)

Haha very much so Monkey. grinning smiley

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 17:39
As mentioned Flood would be a good edition and if Fissler hadn't been so accurate for us recently I would say the author had been reading this forum again. Vina suggests someone else is off - Sinoti perhaps?

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 18:20
Quote:
Kwa444
Vina suggests someone else is off - Sinoti perhaps?

There was an article on the iffy last season just after chrimbo a think saying Sinoti had signed an undisclosed long term contract... at his age and the way he has settled in up here, I doubt he would move at this stage when the club is arguably in the best place it's been since he arrived...

You never know like, but I'd say he's staying.

Perhaps Tait is off? Isn't his contract up at the end of season... mind you, he's nearly played 200 games and you'd think he would be a 1 club man, can't see him going anywhere!

Perhaps just adding some more depth KWA, we where linked with Nalaga last week... now that's died off we've got this one.

pityacker (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 19:28
After the exciting number of recruits announced around early bird season ticket time things have gone quiet leaving us wondering who is staying,coming and going but no doubt there is still some wheeling and dealing to be done before announcements are made. I hope this year the club make an official announcement at some stage on who is being released etc as previously we have been left in the dark about some players and only found out from other sources that people have left.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 19:51
For those going to the talk in at KP on Weds night, there will be 2 new signings and 2 re-signings unveiled. All the more reason to get yourself along

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 20:30
Quote:
Falc Dancer
For those going to the talk in at KP on Weds night, there will be 2 new signings and 2 re-signings unveiled. All the more reason to get yourself along

I live 50 miles away... so will not be attending, any chance of popping it on here when they are unveiled pretty please.

This is my 1000th post on this forum. Long may they continue!

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
20 March, 2017 20:48
In the past Smithy has put any updates live on Twitter. He may do the same again? Keep an eye out but as soon as a major story is announced I can't see it being long before its on here

Robs (IP Logged)
21 March, 2017 06:57
Quote:
Bedlington Lad
As Steve 1888 says, Flood can play at 12, so if it's true I suppose he would be a second playmaker outside whoever is wearing the ten jersey. It's generally worked ok for England with the Ford/Farrell axis, I'd be interested to see if it works for the Falcons
I seem to recall it worked rather well once before...with Andrew/Wilkinson

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
21 March, 2017 08:26
Quote:
Robs
Quote:
Bedlington Lad
Good shout Robs - I forgot about that one - how very remiss of me!

21 March, 2017 09:32
Quote:
Bedlington Lad
Quote:
Robs
Quote:
Bedlington Lad
Good shout Robs - I forgot about that one - how very remiss of me!
Flood use to play 12 when wilkinson was at 10. Tho I would rather have flood at 10 JP 12 and maxi 13

alas (IP Logged)
21 March, 2017 10:00
Quote:
Robs
Quote:
Bedlington Lad

There's no vacancy at 12 as the Falcons already have Socino and have signed Matavesi who is versatile, but best at 12. Mermoz can play 12 as well.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
21 March, 2017 10:43
Flood should only be considered for 10.

Hodgson has shown some serious consistency issues this season. He's played great in some games...yet is prone to the odd clanger.

Someone like Flood at 10 pulling the strings would be a great signing...

10 Flood
11 Sinoti
12 Socino
13 Mermoz
14 Goneva
15 Tait

21 March, 2017 10:44
Ps I wonder if one of the new signings is a French LH?

Falconski (IP Logged)
21 March, 2017 11:31
French LH hmmmmm is that down to Davey Wilson being well very injury prone?

21 March, 2017 11:45
Davy Wilson is a TH...

21 March, 2017 11:48
And I forgot DTH van der Merve in that backline aswell....

Jeez we've signed some backs!!

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
21 March, 2017 15:56
Need to make the most of all that forward possession now! Makes the Flood rumour more likely too, as no point having an electric back line if the 10 is inconsistent or out of form.

On the subject of departures - we might have a player on a long contract but if someone like Toulon rock up offering a lot of cash to a player, as long as the club have a feasible replacement they will usually let them go. I think that happened with Hayman and also with Barrow to Tigers (though I stand to be corrected).

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
21 March, 2017 16:11
I thought Barrow had a get out clause if the side didn't finish higher than 10th.

pityacker (IP Logged)
21 March, 2017 16:17
Hayman was at the end of his 3 year deal and although he was offered an extension at KP decided to go to Toulon. As previously posted Barrow although having signed a contract extension had indeed a get out clause and much to owners and managements disgust at his agent iif i remember rightly opted for Tigers a well trod route for a number of young talented Falcons.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
21 March, 2017 17:58
To be fair to Barrow he does have a medal to show for it now, even if it is for the pointless cup. Despite our excellent season that is still one more than he would have had with us....

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
22 March, 2017 06:33
A year after leaving us (possibly two) he was playing in a European Cup semi final. If anyone still bears a grudge to him leaving I think he can quite easily justify his reasoning.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
22 March, 2017 07:58
Yeah I hold no grudge to Barrow nor the other academy youngsters that left us. I just hope that the likes of Witty, Chick etc. can see the progress we have made this season and our ambition in the transfer market etc. convinces them that we are a club on the rise who will be hopefully challenging for honours in the next few seasons.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
22 March, 2017 08:14
Barrow wasn't an academy product so it's hard to hold a grudge against him. He's kicked on at Tigers and looks a better player than he was with us.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
22 March, 2017 08:21
I have to say I think Barrow has done really well for the Tigers since he has been there, would not be surprised if he got in the England squad for the tour to Argentina in the summer. smiling smiley

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
22 March, 2017 09:45
I really don't see how anyone can criticise players for leaving a club that has finished 10th, 11th or relegated every year for the past six years or so. If we can do better as a club things will be different. If we can qualify for the big boys Euro Cup things will be very different.

mannin (IP Logged)
22 March, 2017 11:16
[www.bbc.co.uk]

Linked previously but good to see youngsters committing to their home clubs.

22 March, 2017 11:43
Yeah I didn't think there was much mileage in that Nott rumour.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net