rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Premiership Sevens: Friday 28th July (6.00pm) / Saturday 29th July (3.00pm) at Franklin's Gardens

Saturday 12th August v Nottingham (2.00pm) / Doncaster (4.30pm) at Kingston Park

Last result: Bristol Rugby 27-39 Newcastle Falcons

V Tiggers on BT?
Daveyb (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 13:42
Is the match on BT Sport today as I cannot find it and Smithy suggested it was

Re: V Tiggers on BT?
toonaew (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 14:11
It Defo is - lots of listings still showing the Bath game as being on - it's actually us on instead

Daveyb (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 14:43
Just found it on BT Sport 2....many thanks

Leipziger (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 15:49
11-3 to Tigers at half-time thanks to a Genge try with the last play of the half. After being totally dominated by Leicester in the first 15, the Falcons had a good spell of possession but rarely made it into the 22, only one real chance when a break from Welch set Goneva away.

Lineout needs improving and we need to cut down on the penalty count if we're going to get anything.

15 April, 2017 15:50
Wouldn't be the Falcons without doing something stupid and conceding right before half-time.

DB23 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 16:08
Woeful so far after 45 minutes

Leipziger (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 16:16
Wilson binned after repeated scrum penalties, Veainu scores second Leicester try. Thompstone almost got a third but Hodgson and Welch make try-saving tackles.

18-3 :-(

Leipziger (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 16:17
PS I wonder what Welch would make of one of the commentators keeping on calling him Willie Welch?

Leipziger (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 16:28
Another try by Genge, 25-3. Genge and Barrow throw in a bit of afters so we get a penalty restart... and lose the ball in the 22.

I'm off to work.

DB23 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 16:53
Quote:
DB23
Woeful so far after 45 minutes

and it got worse.

Worst line out performance I can remember, everything else was poor too.

theblaydonracer (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 16:56
Worst performance all season. Set piece was terrible all round giving us no platform. Hard to take any positives.

dksniper (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 16:57
I was looking forward to this game being live on TV. So disappointed in performance. Shocking lineouts and poor handling too. Never mind. Can only get better.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 17:08
Really poor in every facet of the game and only Mark Wilson comes away with any credit. Suicidal rugby all game and our set piece was utterly atrocious. Our scrum has been a problem this season and our usually solid, consistent line out was all over the place.

This performance was a throwback to the typical cowardly away performance you'd expect to witness 2-3 seasons ago. Thought Leicester were average at best which says a lot about how we performed. Genuinely think we were the makers of our own downfall.

Genuinely concerned about our recent away performances. We are conceding a shed load of points and not showing much going forward. We have to look at being more solid and I believe we still need to strengthen certain critical areas of the team.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2017 17:11 by NorfolkFalcon.

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 17:18
You sure about our scrum being a problem all season Norfolk?

15 April, 2017 17:36
Yes, we struggle to gain any momentum with the scrum. We tend to get pushed back which doesn't give us front foot ball. We also tend to concede a high number of penalties from our scrum. I know that we won a game last weekend by winning a penalty through the scrum but we all want us to continue our momentum and get better. One way we would get better is becoming more solid/dominant in the scrum.

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 17:56
The stats show that we have the best performing scrum in the league though.

alas (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 18:21
Lies, damned lies and statistics.

15 April, 2017 19:56
I was trying to look for the stats but couldn't find them. I wouldn't be interested to have a look so if anyone could post a link it would be appreciated.

From memory we've been dominated by Worcester, Exeter and now Leicester scrums this season.

I hope we are not pinning all of our hopes on Lockwood coming back and immediately playing at his best. It would be naive to do so after such a serious injury for a prop. We cannot have just Vickers, who will be 36 next season (think he might be out of contract at the end of season too) and Mavinga, who is unproven at this level to compete for the LH position.

I also think that we could do with another tighthead. I like Welsh but Dave Wilson is way past his best and it remains to be seen if we ever see Scott Wilson back to the levels he was showing to play for the Saxons.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 20:01
Scrum & line out were simply not good enough today. Very poor
Far too many errors to be able to compete

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 00:11
The Falcons scrum success on their put in is 95% I believe and we had up to the tigers game the fewest resets. I personally would have had Jon Welsh on from the start

too_tall_to_tackle (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 08:00
what the stats don't tell you is a lot of the time when we have claimed 95% of our own ball, we have been going backwards and it is only through the no8 reaching in and picking the ball up that we have managed to claim possession. It generally means we are under a lot of pressure and often going backwards. Wells said it has been a weak point this season in the interview posted on here a few threads ago.

They do have good days and bad days but from what I have seen facet Wilson is pretty useless. He doesn't offer much around the field and is not exactly great in the scrum.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Newcastle Falcons Poll

Is this a poll

See results > Submit >>