rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Season over - see you in September!

Last result: Bristol Rugby 27-39 Newcastle Falcons

Tigers 30 Falcons 3
Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 16:57
Tigers 30 Falcons 3

Well I don't think I can take any positive from the game. We are not a champions cup team, and we could easily end up 11th again because our poor second half of the season.

- Joel Hodgson is not the player to get us into the top 6. Taking the ball to the line all the time is predictable. And never really got the back line going. WE NEED A QUALITY 10 TO KICK ON

- David Wilson really though day and really struggled in the scrum.

- Line out was really poor and lacking structure.

The pundits on BT sports go it spot on with a world class 10 we could be a top 4 team. Dean must see getting a class 10 is worth every penny

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 15/04/2017 17:09 by Falcons_Thunder.

Re: Tigers 30 Falcons 3
alnwickfalcon (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 17:04
Very poor performance today.

From 1-23 not a single player looked determined to do anything. It was as if we turned up to loose.

I'm very worried about Worcester as they seem to be scoring for fun and we don't look like scoring.

8th at best now.

trummy200 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 22:14
'Joel Hodgson is not the player to get us into the top 6. Taking the ball to the line all the time is predictable. And never really got the back line going. WE NEED A QUALITY 10 TO KICK ON'

Who do you suggest? Did Falcons improve after he left the field? The whole team were just not good enough, but considering the difference in resources then it was always going to be an uphill task to get a result!

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 09:53
Quote:
Falcons_Thunder
Tigers 30 Falcons 3

- Joel Hodgson is not the player to get us into the top 6. Taking the ball to the line all the time is predictable. And never really got the back line going. WE NEED A QUALITY 10 TO KICK ON

- David Wilson really though day and really struggled in the scrum.

- Line out was really poor and lacking structure.

The pundits on BT sports go it spot on with a world class 10 we could be a top 4 team. Dean must see getting a class 10 is worth every penny

The one break we had when we looked like scoring came from a Joel pass the Welch, he tackled his heart out and saved a few try's, easy to blame one player, Wilson was schooled by a young lad, coopers throwing was horrendous and we never looked like coming away with anything, every time we loose Joel seems to get the blame, any ten would struggle with a forward back offering the ball they did yesterday

alnwickfalcon (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 11:01
Quote:
trummy200
'Joel Hodgson is not the player to get us into the top 6. Taking the ball to the line all the time is predictable. And never really got the back line going. WE NEED A QUALITY 10 TO KICK ON'
Who do you suggest? Did Falcons improve after he left the field? The whole team were just not good enough, but considering the difference in resources then it was always going to be an uphill task to get a result!

trummy200, we have needed a Premiership ready 10 for 3 seasons now. This is an area that at best has had a plaster put on a wound.

Surely this would have been evident to the management set up when you are getting in Andy Goode?

As a side we are improving and credit to the coaching staff for that but the 10 situation is an area that that must be addressed.

There are plenty of Premiership ready 10's out there could have had Lozowski in the summer or Rudi Jackson, Tim Swiel.

The talk is Myler and Flood may be attracting our attention for this summer I really hope so.

As for yesterday draw a line under it and let's hope we win our 2 remaining games.

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 12:11
I'm sure someone poo's in your coffee every morning FT, your grim mate.

No 10 in the league could of looked good for us yesterday, our pack was on the back foot all day, some guys where poor, they need to front up.

We had set piece plays set up off scrum and lineout to use the likes of Watson & Goneva but the ball was so untidy and slow, that by the time Joel got the ball he had the leicester backrow in his face.

I thought Joel had a good game for us, saved a certain try down the right hand wing, tackled well, kicked some points, and put Welch through a gap that we almost scored from.

You can't play well if you don't have the ball... and we just didn't have any because we couldn't secure any, and thats not Joels job, its the guys up front to are supposed to do that and they just didnt provide.

Davey Wilson got a pasting off Genge and as he was coming off, shouts of ''retire'' could be heard from the crumbie terrace, he looked demorolised yesterday and is a walking sicknote, i dont think he will last much longer.

Kyles arrows where awful, Vickers went back all day. Latu didn't bring anything becuase it wasn't his game, he needs front foot ball to play well and he didn't get any, gives away silly penalties and doesnt look upto scratch, Chick needs to start vs Wuss.

In the backs, we missed the organisation that Tait brings and often didn't secure high kicks.

Chris Harris was solid in defence but offers nothing in attack, he is just a big lump.

Best players for us where Welch & Green.

Joel didn't get the backline going because he had no quick ball, ball presentation was dier, there was always a tigs player making a pest of himself and slowing everything down.

We know where not a champions cup side...we can see that by looking at the table, could still finish up there with 2 BP wins though.

Pack needs to step up asap, Schonert, Ruskin, O Callagahan will have us on the back foot all day if we play like that against Wuss, will be not easy game.

Champions cup would still benefit this club hugely and would be a massive statement of intent if we got to compete there. Results aside, just being there means your in the top tier of English sides in Europe, and it may never happen again for a long time, so you go for it as a player.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2017 12:14 by falconsfan07.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 23:41
Quote:
alnwickfalcon
There are plenty of Premiership ready 10's out there could have had Lozowski in the summer or Rudi Jackson, Tim Swiel.

Are you really saying we could have signed Lozowski ahead of Saracens last summer? Why would he sign for a team that has finished no higher than 11th since 2010, ahead of the European champions where he is all-but-guaranteed plenty of game time when Farrell is away with England?

17 April, 2017 00:02
Quote:
falconsfan07
I'm sure someone poo's in your coffee every morning FT, your grim mate.
No 10 in the league could of looked good for us yesterday, our pack was on the back foot all day, some guys where poor, they need to front up.

We had set piece plays set up off scrum and lineout to use the likes of Watson & Goneva but the ball was so untidy and slow, that by the time Joel got the ball he had the leicester backrow in his face.
I thought Joel had a good game for us, saved a certain try down the right hand wing, tackled well, kicked some points, and put Welch through a gap that we almost scored from.

You can't play well if you don't have the ball... and we just didn't have any because we couldn't secure any, and thats not Joels job, its the guys up front to are supposed to do that and they just didnt provide.

Davey Wilson got a pasting off Genge and as he was coming off, shouts of ''retire'' could be heard from the crumbie terrace, he looked demorolised yesterday and is a walking sicknote, i dont think he will last much longer.

Kyles arrows where awful, Vickers went back all day. Latu didn't bring anything becuase it wasn't his game, he needs front foot ball to play well and he didn't get any, gives away silly penalties and doesnt look upto scratch, Chick needs to start vs Wuss.

In the backs, we missed the organisation that Tait brings and often didn't secure high kicks.

Chris Harris was solid in defence but offers nothing in attack, he is just a big lump.

Best players for us where Welch & Green.

Joel didn't get the backline going because he had no quick ball, ball presentation was dier, there was always a tigs player making a pest of himself and slowing everything down.

We know where not a champions cup side...we can see that by looking at the table, could still finish up there with 2 BP wins though.

Pack needs to step up asap, Schonert, Ruskin, O Callagahan will have us on the back foot all day if we play like that against Wuss, will be not easy game.

Champions cup would still benefit this club hugely and would be a massive statement of intent if we got to compete there. Results aside, just being there means your in the top tier of English sides in Europe, and it may never happen again for a long time, so you go for it as a player.

Im sorry I want whatever you take. I've seen the Falcons win the premiership and been relegated. Regarding 10's ive got a few years on you and I've seen Andrews, wilkinson, flood & gopperth and I can tell you non of our current FH could lace any of the players mentioned above's boots.

With regards to Worcester they have won against us in the last 5 premiership games. And after Worcester won on the weekend they'll be coming up ready to fight hard, and we could easily end up 11th again. Like the saying goes rugby is a 80min game, the premiership is a 22game season you need to have the same competitive drive from game 1 to game 22. Newcastle will never be a Leicester, bath or saints we are a region dominated by football and that will never change, so we need to be smarter and realise that keys positions need experienced heads.

I really admire the enthusiasm you bring to the forum. You are a great addition and opinion always welcomes

onefingerpress (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 11:02
I'm going to suggest something drastic and to strengthen the front row not pile heaps of blame on young Joel because if my memory serves me correctly the team did not very much with all of those esteemed fly halfs you mention there. As others have said if the men infront of the 10 aren't doing very well then even the best will struggle. Jimmy gopperth kept us in the league an extra year with his golden boot but if I'm not mistaken still got quite a lot of stick for kicking it away all the time.

Good players need good ball to perform.

DJMc (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 11:37
As the old rugby adage goes " forwards win the game, the backs decide by how much". With ball our forwards served up we could still be playing now and not scoring any points. I have to say I was bemused by the selection of David Wilson ahead of Jon Welsh and surprised that Niki Latu was kept on as long as he was.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 11:51
I'm not in all honesty convinced by Hodgson as yet but do feel he gets a really unfair amount of stick. You could name double figures of guys who were way ahead of him with regard to poor performance. He actually did okay. It just seems him and poor Delaney are on the wrong side of people's opinions yet others seem to get off lightly in comparison. Our ex England prop for one was awful on Sarurday but it is Joel who gets it.

As was said above, I remember Gopperth getting tons of stick when he was with us which people seem to gloss over. His kicking was sensational but other facets of his play were a bit more ropey moaned about constantly.

telfs123 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 12:36
Hodgson appears to have replaced Young as the player who inexplicably gets a load of stick on this board. I think most would agree that he has played well in patches, and has had some poor games, but has never been the exclusive reason why we lost. As others have said, we could have had Beaudon Barrett behind our pack yesterday and nothing would have happened. It's no coincidence Joel's best games have been when our pack has been going forward.
And I think most would agree LH prop is a massive area of need, we may look good on our own ball statistics, but a lot of that is due to excellent 8 play by Hogg/Latu to rescue the ball. I imagine our stats on opposition ball are dismal.
My other comment on scrums-and I understand this is borderline blasphemy-maybe it might be time to move on from Micky Ward as scrum coach?

As for 10, who knows? Maybe Toby Flood get announced in the next couple of weeks, maybe he stays in France. Maybe we continue with Hodgson. We'll see.

Falconfan (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 13:19
The Joel supporters are out in strength - according to them he either had a good game v Tigers or he didn't but it was not his fault! I also see the title 'young Joel'. Don't they know that he is seven months older than George Ford and just a few months younger than Owen Farrell?!.So, don't use his age as an excuse for his lack of influence on the game.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 14:06
Don't think it's really a question of being a Hodgson fan or not, it's more the level of stick he (and Delaney) receive is at odds with their level of performance compared to others who have rubbish games and the lack of stick they receive.

That's a really good point about his age mind you, had never thought of it in those terms.

trummy200 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 14:14
Well Ford would not have made some of those tackles Hodgson did on Saturday and he does not play well on the back foot eithe.r The Falcs would not have been any better off even if they could afford him (and of course he wanted to play in the North East).

17 April, 2017 14:24
Quote:
Falconfan
The Joel supporters are out in strength - according to them he either had a good game v Tigers or he didn't but it was not his fault! I also see the title 'young Joel'. Don't they know that he is seven months older than George Ford and just a few months younger than Owen Farrell?!.So, don't use his age as an excuse for his lack of influence on the game.

Snap he hasn't been young Joel for years now. I personally would have Joel in my 23 but not a starting 10. What people don't realise we could be fighting relegation next year if we don't strengthen in key areas. And Irish won't be no push overs that's for certain.
On Jon Welsh has been outstanding for us this season no wonder we have a 95% scrum success rate (on our own put it) and Davey Wilson is a great local lad and squad player. We desperately need a class Loose head. Or maybe Lockwood is that man we haven't seen him yet through injuries.

17 April, 2017 15:11
I don't see how pointing out unfair criticism justifies the derogatory tone from one of the "Joel haters"
Also I'd imagine if he was afforded the opportunity of playing behind a dominant pack like Farrell and ford he would be seen in a very different light.

17 April, 2017 17:13
Quote:
onefingerpress
I don't see how pointing out unfair criticism justifies the derogatory tone from one of the "Joel haters"
Also I'd imagine if he was afforded the opportunity of playing behind a dominant pack like Farrell and ford he would be seen in a very different light.

Are you saying that if Hodgson played for bath or sarries he would be world class? He's premiership standard but not a starting FH if we wanna push on

17 April, 2017 17:30
No.

Given the chance to play with saracens, who I think we can all agree are consistently a very good team, even the flakiest of Ryan lambs would flourish.

My point was it is probably (and cheaper) better to get a solid set of front row who can perform every week to a consistent decent standard and keep faith in our current stock of fly halfs than buy a world class one and stick them in behind a lot of back foot ball. The rest of the pack I feel can compete with the top teams, the difference being the front row.

DeceptivePace (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 19:22
Re LH, people seem to have overlooked our new Frenchman,Sami Mavinga. 114kgs, mobile and from the French school of scrummaging. With Bobby and a fit again Sam Lockwood, we can be competitive in that area. In saying that mind, I know nowt about what goes on in there and spent 40 odd seasons keeping as far away from the front row as possible.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 21:20
Quote:
telfs123
Hodgson appears to have replaced Young as the player who inexplicably gets a load of stick on this board. I think most would agree that he has played well in patches, and has had some poor games, but has never been the exclusive reason why we lost.

Of course a game is never lost or won by one player alone. People have however said on here how Hodgson's kicking has cost us x points over x games... I don't think anybody has revised those stats after the Gloucester home game.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 08:47
I think we're missing Lawson at 2. Mr reliable in the set pieces etc. Not convinced on the South African just yet.

LH is an issue now, but had Lockwood stayed fit, it wouldn't have been. We'll have plenty there next season though.

D Wilson looks so past his best its unreal. Lets hope Scotty Wilson can finally stay fit and give Welsh some support!

People all dissing Latu so quickly...he's still quality. Just isn't in form yet. But CHick should start v Wuss.

Its not all doom and gloom, we've had a couple of bad days at the office. Need to re-group and go back to what we were doing good in the first half of the season!

pityacker (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 09:33
Always liked Davey Wilson but on the few occasions he hasn't been injured his performances must be giving management nightmares not only around the field but in the vital scrummaging aspect his game has gone so far downhill it's awful to watch a guy who has put some of the best scrummagers in world rugby to the sword and no doubt his services won't have come cheap.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 13:33
As I stated in another thread, I think it would be naļve of us to assume that Lockwood will be back to his best for the start of next season after his serious injury. With Vickers being 36 next season (and out of contract I believe this summer) and Mavinga being unproven at this level & only playing a handful of games for Lyon. I would like the club to get another loosehead.

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 13:47
Quote:
NorfolkFalcon
As I stated in another thread, I think it would be naļve of us to assume that Lockwood will be back to his best for the start of next season after his serious injury. With Vickers being 36 next season (and out of contract I believe this summer) and Mavinga being unproven at this level & only playing a handful of games for Lyon. I would like the club to get another loosehead.

He's started a few games in the Top 14 for them I think. It's a tough league to prop in so he should be a quality buy after some fitness work and some coaching from the culture coach Mickey Ward. But I agree, Top 14 is the place to look for front row forwards I think, a big Georgian or Romanian... they don't come cheap though.

AFalcon23 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 13:58
We could of signed that big Romanian prop Sale signed Alexandru Tarus, Gordon Reid is leaving Glasgow at the end of the season he is a LH. But I do feel we will see more of Lockwood next season. smiling smiley

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 14:05
Whats the crack with young Scotty Wilson as well. Does he have an on going problem, or is it fixed that he is finally going to get a chance to establish himself and progress like he should have been doing?

Its going to be vital aswell as I have no confidence whatsoever in Davy Wilson.

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 14:18
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
Whats the crack with young Scotty Wilson as well. Does he have an on going problem, or is it fixed that he is finally going to get a chance to establish himself and progress like he should have been doing?
Its going to be vital aswell as I have no confidence whatsoever in Davy Wilson.

I think Scotty will start again next season, try to get a good pre season in without injuring himself and lose some of that extra timber he's been carrying. If he can stay fit and get a good run of games then he should come good.

Feel sorry for Davey, tough day at the weekend for him...

steve1888 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 14:36
Think a few on them need a tough regime over the summer to get them ready , would love to see both Wilsons back to their best , Davey could cover loosehead too if he gets back on track.

concolor (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 14:40
Scotty played in last A game fixture and was off at HT, had a big ice pack on neck/shoulder. He's been really unlucky with injuries, just hope he can get a clean bill of health and come back strong next season.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Newcastle Falcons Poll

Is this a poll

See results > Submit >>