rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 21st October v Bordeaux-Begles at Stade Chaban-Delmas, 5.30pm (UK time)

Sunday 29th October v Leicester Tigers at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 32-27 Dragons

Today's performance
alnwickfalcon (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 16:57
Well what can I say the sparkling backline didn't work.

A very poor performance from all the boys today.

Granted we came up against a very good Tigers side but we didn't even complete. As soon as David Wilson was sin binned we fell apart. The back line was completely invisible in attack. The line out was shocking yet again Kyle Cooper can't throw, Sowery not much better.

I'm very worried about Worcester as they won't lie down we just don't look like scoring.

I can safely say there is 0% chance of a top 6 finish.

We will finish 8th at best.

Re: Today's performance
upwardonward (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 17:17
Enjoyed the grit and determination in the first half but badly let down by silly handling errors and a stupid penalty by Latu/Socino when we are on the atack on 38 mins and boom we are 11-3 down.
Lineout throwing was abysmal.Go front if you struggle with long throw!.Scrum was penalised beyond belief by Tempest.Backs were very poor.
As commentators mentioned if we get a world class 10 and then we could be top 4 side.Dream on.
Wilson and Welch only two who came through with credit with very little support from the rest.
IMO Chick for Latu any day of the week for me.Latu looks miles off a the pace ,gives away stupid penalties and spills the ball.

alnwickfalcon (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 17:33
I agree with you on Latu. To be honest he played in the A league game on Monday and looked poor when I saw him in that game I was surprised to see him starting today.

Chick should start against Worcester.

DJMc (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 17:39
It was very much back to the bad old days of poor passing and catching, not being able to retain the ball in the tackle, and players not knowing their role or where they should be on the pitch. At the half time analysis it showed Sinoti and Goneva in a ruck and our back line consisting of Welch, Olmsted and, I think, Vickers ( certainly another forward). There were times you could throw a blanket over the whole team so absolutely no width and so easy to defend.
With Worcester being a Falcons bogey team, there has to be a 100% improvement on our basic skills.

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 17:58
To be fair to Latu he hasn't had much game time since his very bad injury and looks to be struggling to regain his form of last season.
I'm sure he will come back strong next season (if he is with us)

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 18:05
I was trying to look for the stats but couldn't find them. I wouldn't be interested to have a look so if anyone could post a link it would be appreciated.

From memory we've been dominated by Worcester, Exeter and now Leicester scrums this season.

alas (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 18:17
The back row apart from Latu did reasonably well, but the scrum was poor and the line-out was a nightmare. Hodgson and Socino were good occasionally, but there was little flow to the back-play.

Falconfan (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 18:41
Yes - the line-out was a disaster and scrums not much better. I believe it was a bit windy, but the throwing in by both of our hookers was abysmal - we missed Scott Lawson - I hope he is available for our remaining matches. The contrast between the two No10s was stark- Burns was a winner and at the heart of most of Leicester's positive moments; Hodgson was totally ineffective - I've got to agree that we need world-class fly halves to get to be a seriously threatening team in the Premiership. I heard Deano on TV criticise the referee who did not have a good game but cannot be blamed for the 30 points conceded.

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 18:52
He always likes to drop one or two subtle comments in about the refs. He does however admit that our set piece today was very poor.
Too many of our lads were not at the races today. We just looked very disjointed and lacklustre and couldn't look after the ball at all.
It was a hard watch that for sure!!!

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 19:23
Scrum has been awful all season to be fair. Vickers is sub standard and it's hard to know if we'd do better with a decent LH to give the rest of the front row a chance. Defence hasn't been good at all and when it's backs against the wall, Hodgson is not the 10 to control things. I expected a big defeat but to be so dismal in attack is worrying.

too_tall_to_tackle (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 20:08
You can have the best backs in the world but without a set piece or effective breakdown work then it is pointless. We were completely outmuscled today and looked disorganised whenever we had the ball. It is very difficult to play without any territory as well and we probably managed 2 trips into their 22 all game. Seemed to me like the was no belief and most definitely not our day.

On the plus side, the Falcons in the stand could be heard over the telebox. Great effort in such a big stadium.

Onwards and upwards!

pityacker (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 20:46
Just had the misfortune to drive a round trip of 360 miles to watch a dreadful performance , the line outs were a write off , mullered at scrum time and beaten up at the break down and when we did get the ball mistake after mistake making a decent Tigers team look very good. Talk of champions cup next season is a no hoper and it will take a massive improvement to beat Worcester who are starting to look a much better side.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 23:02
Just watched the match there so disappointed with that result, I was most disappointed with our set pieces today not good enough at all. smiling smiley

Osric (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 08:18
A shame. Curse of the TV. I'd be delighted if we get a minimum of 8 from the last two games.

zackary71 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 09:56
As good as Leicester were, and they were very clinical today....We were absolutely gash in all departments. As alluded to by Monye in the commentary, we're crying out for a world class 10. Sadly, there's not many of them around available for purchase.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 12:56
Thought Dean's comments in the Guardian regarding the referee did neither himself nor the club any favours and to me border on the unacceptable. Was a pretty abject display and to blame the referee just makes himself look ridiculous.

Too far away (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 14:29
We can have the best flyhalf in the world, if the set piece is so bad it won't matter. No excuse for the line out being so bad and no team that wants to be competitive should lose a prop to the bin for being overpowered.

stillamaccafan (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 18:25
Crying out for a decent fly-half.Jacob Botica RGC,24 years old,played for Agen.Deano and comments about refs are poor.Not impressed at all with his tenure.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 23:48
Quote:
Too far away
We can have the best flyhalf in the world, if the set piece is so bad it won't matter.

On the fly-half issue - we took plenty of hammerings with Wilkinson, Flood or Gopperth in the team, I don't remember them being questioned after every defeat like Hodgson and Delany are. Especially defeats like the recent ones against Leicester and Quins, where we lost primarily because we were starved of the ball. Any fly-half will struggle to look good in such circumstances.

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 00:08
Quote:
Leipziger
Quote:
Too far away
We can have the best flyhalf in the world, if the set piece is so bad it won't matter.

On the fly-half issue - we took plenty of hammerings with Wilkinson, Flood or Gopperth in the team, I don't remember them being questioned after every defeat like Hodgson and Delany are. Especially defeats like the recent ones against Leicester and Quins, where we lost primarily because we were starved of the ball. Any fly-half will struggle to look good in such circumstances.

Joel was solid barr his early knock on, saved a try, put Welch away... apart from that there wasn't much else he could do... we hat set moves off scrum n lineout but the quality of ball was so poor that by the time Joel got the ball, tigers where right in our face.

Things didn't get easier in the second half, set piece fell to bits and we couldn't use it to exit... took till 60 minutes for us to get inside tigs 22.

Really could of done with Takalua who was given a week off, he's the more aggressive bigger 9 who is better around the breakdown...

We had the wrong 8 playing too, Latu had no front foot ball and never stood in at first receiver. Gave away a few silly penalties tho and looks a bit off his best.

Need the influential carrying of Chick in for Wuss me thinks.

pityacker (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 08:14
Anyone who read the match report in yesterday's Sunday Times would see that their rugby reporter was impressed with Joel and described him as a Falcons academy player with a future , I personally thought he had a decent game compared to a lot of the team , tackled his heart out and orchestrated the only possibility for a try when Goneva was tackled by Youngs despite the limited possession and slow service and certainly did nothing to deserve the lambasting he has been getting .

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 08:46
I think it's really unfair to blame Hodgson for our defeat. We were diabolical all over the pitch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/04/2017 09:10 by NorfolkFalcon.

DB23 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 09:06
Quote:
NorfolkFalcon
I think it's really unfair to blame Hodgson for our defeat. We are diabolical all over the pitch.

Completely agree, Norfolk Falcon, Hodgson is an easy target when we play poorly. He is actually one of our success stories this season who stepped into Delany's shoes and played well when under pressure to deliver performances. Delany was ineffective in the early part of the season and Hodgson showed how much better we could play with a fly half playing with attacking intent.

Any fly half, including Myler and others mentioned, would struggle in a team going backwards and having to deal with poor ball from the forwards.

trummy200 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 11:14
Well some of you have beat me to it! I was perplexed at the criticism that came Joels way after the match so last night I watched it all again (painful at times) He spilled the ball early on when tackled as FF07 has said, otherwise I don't know what else he could of done. The quality and quantity of ball he received was poor, Tigers were in his face all game but he dealt with it well. His kicking was good out of hand and he made some great tackles.
As regards anything Monye says - he's one of the reasons I will switch the sound off during a match,- prefer silence to drivel!
Hodgson has obviously had some problems in the past and things may not work out in the future but at the moment he is Falcs best Fly Half and until anyone else steps up to the mark or is recruited by the management then get behind him!

zackary71 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 14:26
Just to clarify, I wasn't saying Joel was at fault for our defeat, as he definitely wasn't. However, it's an area we need to strengthen if we want to move to the next level. He clearly has learnt from his recent errors from long throw-away passes which have led to interception tries...as he just avoided making the same error on Saturday when Leicester's back line were up quick anticipating the throw.

Mafia (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 14:30
I haven't seen the game. I think fly half is a position that is very visible and fly half's do get disproportionate amounts of stick and praise at times. I do agree that the words young and academy product to describe Joel suggest he is new and raw. As pointed out he is a similar age to Ford and Farrell. Those labels should not be used. I do think we need an experienced premiership ready fly half. That was supposed to be Delaney. I support the call for Flood if he can be persuaded. He is proven rather than a southern hemisphere player who may not suit the premiership.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 20:53
We got a pasting from one of the big boys at their home ground where we haven't won for 20 years. Pointing fingers & singling out individuals to blame isn't going to help anyone.

Maybe our good spell has come to an end for this season, and both Brizzle & Wuss will be looking to throw the kitchen sink at us. We get back up, put right what we can, and hopefully finish the season with some half decent rugby.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net