rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 21st October v Bordeaux-Begles at Stade Chaban-Delmas, 5.30pm (UK time)

Sunday 29th October v Leicester Tigers at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 32-27 Dragons

unsporting behavior
nook10 (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 20:35
unsporting behavior by ellis genge should have seen him binned for that bounced ball and also dom barrow should have went for his assault on will welch but what ref is going to give fhem at welford rd. straight arm knocks were also bypassed by an indifferent ref,but no excuses for our standard today poor

Re: unsporting behavior
too_tall_to_tackle (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 22:19
Disagree completely. I thought the ref got it spot on and I was more worried about sowery being binned or worse for sticking his head in genge's face.

The unsporting behaviour is all part of the game...albeit annoying when you are getting taken to the cleaners!

Xanderman (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 22:57
Quote:
too_tall_to_tackle
The unsporting behaviour is all part of the game

I was kind of disgusted by Genge, the guy needs to learn some humility. First he disrespects by throwing the ball, then he was fighting with three different players in about 20 seconds then laughs in the face of Sowrey when he gets in his face back, stinks of disrespect and not something I'd want to see in a professional sportsman who young people are looking up to. It's unecessary.

CRUCIBLE (IP Logged)
15 April, 2017 23:13
Genge should have been yellow carded - he started the fracas - showed a distinct lack of class.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 07:45
There's a lot of this creeping into rugby, especially with the youngster involved with England at an early age. Look at players like Marler, who is a bit of a prat and now Genge.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 08:24
Bit harsh on Marler, anything but a prat. He faced his demons head on and has come back an even better player and when you hear him interviewed comes over as a really nice guy.

As for Genge, don't think he did anything thT doesn't go on in most games now. I'd love to have him in our team.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 08:52
I'm not knocking them as players, they're both fantastic. Marler comes across as a prat on the pitch, he always has since the U20 set-up.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 09:36
There has always been players like that and you sometimes need that at times in the game I think anyway, you could say the same about Zander Fagerson and Gordon Reid for Scotland, they are always getting into scraps. smiling smiley

dick g (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 09:42
Quote:
too_tall_to_tackle
Disagree completely. I thought the ref got it spot on and I was more worried about sowery being binned or worse for sticking his head in genge's face.
The unsporting behaviour is all part of the game...albeit annoying when you are getting taken to the cleaners!

Unsporting behaviour is never acceptable in our game. It can never be dismissed as being "all part of the game".

zackary71 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 09:53
The only thing that would have brightened my mood is if Tempest had scrubbed off the Try and binned Genge. Totally unacceptable, but as others have noted, it's creeping into the game more and more. The pat on the head of the opposition player when a Penalty is won is another that annoys me. If Genge has aspirations of breaking into the England squad, he needs to grow up...quick.

16 April, 2017 10:04
The problem is Dick is that certain elements of unsporting behaviour are just accepted as part and parcel of the game....sadly. Was Genge any worse than a captain who is in the ear of the referee all game, players feigning injury when their fringe is out of place or players cheating at beak downs or even the current histrionics performed by just about every team when their pack wins a penalty? Every game has examples but just Genge is slightly less subtle. It maybe is a bit sad, but he's the sort of player every team needs and as I say I would love to have him at KP.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 10:10
We don't need players with his attitude at the club, I really don't like this football type mentality. If it was playing abilty alone, he's a huge step-up on Vickers.

zackary71 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 10:25
Quote:
Exiled Falcon
The problem is Dick is that certain elements of unsporting behaviour are just accepted as part and parcel of the game....sadly. Was Genge any worse than a captain who is in the ear of the referee all game, players feigning injury when their fringe is out of place or players cheating at beak downs or even the current histrionics performed by just about every team when their pack wins a penalty? Every game has examples but just Genge is slightly less subtle. It maybe is a bit sad, but he's the sort of player every team needs and as I say I would love to have him at KP.
All the things you've highlighted are different from what happened yesterday ie. Trying to get an advantage by chipping away at the Ref, celebrating a scrum Penalty against the head etc. Those things are about promoting your team's cause. What Genge did was different...He scored a good try but then decided to rub the other team's nose in it.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 10:28
What Genge did, isn't something I'd like to see a player on my team doing.

crumbiesmyhome (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 10:36
How long have you watched rugby for?! This type of behaviour has been part of the game for years. Your esteemed DoR was an exponent of winding the opposition up, along with many other great players.

Some of you need to get over your 'Holier than thou' attitude and admit you would have Ellis Genge in your set up in a flash.

16 April, 2017 10:38
Fair enough, I'm in the minority!

Still don't see how what Genge did is worse than a captain (or any player) chipping away at the ref for 80 mins. You can promote your team's cause by playing well, you don't have to tediously moan about every decision and implore the ref to bin an oppo player at every opportunity.

I'm not saying I like what Genge did, just trying to illustrate unsportsman like behaviour has many forms. Plus our players may have been trying to wind him up the whole game given his reputation, if that's the case then I can't say I wouldn't have done the same. Not saying it did, just no one knows what is said during a game that can inflame situations.

limpopo (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 10:44
Quote:
crumbiesmyhome
How long have you watched rugby for?! This type of behaviour has been part of the game for years. Your esteemed DoR was an exponent of winding the opposition up, along with many other great players.
Some of you need to get over your 'Holier than thou' attitude and admit you would have Ellis Genge in your set up in a flash.

That's entirely a matter of opinion, one which I do not share and I certainly do not remember it in my playing days, or subsequent watching, perhaps until the advent of professionalism and this only over the last few years.

Winding up is one thing, unsporting behaviour is another.

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 10:51
Quote:
crumbiesmyhome

Completely agree. Happens all the time, people don't see half of it, when I was playing and trying to work through a maul to get to the ball carrier at the back, there was always some big orrible @#$%& sticking his fingers in me ribs 9 times out of 10. Doesn't bother me one bit tbh.

Really enjoyed the trip and the standing terrace yesterday. Lovely welcoming fans, really friendly. What an atmosphere as well. Bloody great day out, just a shame we couldn't compete more.

limpopo (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 10:58
Quote:
Completely agree. Happens all the time, people don't see half of it, when I was playing and trying to work through a maul to get to the ball carrier at the back, there was always some big orrible @#$%& sticking his fingers in me ribs 9 times out of 10. Doesn't bother me one bit tbh.

That is not quite the same thing FF07 lots of "dark arts" performed by the "ugly) ones" up front!!! (Sm139)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2017 10:59 by limpopo.

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 11:07
Quote:
limpopo
Quote:

That is not quite the same thing FF07 lots of "dark arts" performed by the "ugly) ones" up front!!! (Sm139)

I can see what you mean Limpopo, but I do like Genge as a player and like what he brings, I think you need that tenacity in a team. From what I saw on the big screen, Genge scored, threw the ball down on our player, Welch took exception, Barrow came in, then it all kicked off, Sowrey ends up trying to be big n hard n stick his nut in Genges face, Genge just laughs and dismisses him. Bearing in mind I haven't seen it on telly yet.

Move on, Genge might get a warning and Sowrey might get a ban...

16 April, 2017 11:32
Exactly....move on, no one gets a warning and no one gets a ban.

Glad you enjoyed your day at Welford Road FF7!

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 11:47
I think people are getting confused a little with playing the game to limits and unsporting behavior. It's the egotistical, football like attitude that I think we're not happy with(from my opinion anyway). There's nothing wrong with with playing the game hard.

Undoubtedly, Genge is a real talent. He really reminds me of a younger version of Corbiserio, hopefully he'll grow out of the attitude.

Tiggrrr (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 12:04
I don't like the ball to the head incident anymore than you on here. I seem to recall an incident at welford Rd when a try scorer patted one of the opposition on the head in a condecending manor, it may even have been the player who missed the last tackle. The try stood but the ref awarded a penalty in place of a restart kick off.
Genge has a reputation for being a bit volatile and consequently opposition players try to get under his skin, yesterday I noticed Wilson trying. The ball incident MAY have reflected that and as much as I disliked it, for me it was preferable to a card for punching someone.

16 April, 2017 12:27
What he needs to do is not take the bait when other players try to wind him up, kind of like Hartley with England. If Wilson did try then Genge's response of destroying him in the scrum was the best response he could have made, let his talent do the talking as it were.

Although his actions didn't really bother me yesterday there is no doubt he is a huge talent who will hopefully be an England player for years to come. Here's hoping he doesn't waste his talent with getting involved in stupid stuff.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 13:17
I was at the game yesterday sat in an area full of ex Leicester payers and coaching staff. Even they were commenting on Genge and his behaviour. I can't use their exact words but he clearly isn't particularly liked by the Leicester fans either.
I think despite the result the ref had a reasonable game overall and we weee simply beaten by a better team that was was playing less bad than we were. Sinotti and Watson rarely got the ball which highlights where the action mainly was.
Have to say, full credit to Leicester fans they were all friendly and welcoming. It would be nice to see them trying to stop saracens utter domination and the wealth of wasps

16 April, 2017 13:55
Agree with that last bit, would be nice to see Tigers be able to mix it with Sarries and Wasps.

Funny, doesn't seem that long since they were stuffed by Glasgow and seen as a club in crisis. Fourth place....wish we were in that much of a crisis.

Too far away (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 14:25
We can have the best flyhalf in the world, if the set piece is so bad it won't matter. No excuse for the line out being so bad and no team that wants to be competitive should lose a prop to the bin for being overpowered.

Oops wrong thread

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2017 14:27 by Too far away.

dick g (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 17:08
Quote:
crumbiesmyhome
It is possible to state your opinion without being offensive and patronising. Please try to do so.

16 April, 2017 20:31
It's the toughest team sport in the world, I don't condone but what he did but some people who watch this sport need to grow a set.

grannyg (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 21:09
Wilson stamped on Genge's ankle early in the game.Doesn't excuse the ball in face incident but there were some cheap shots on Genge as well.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/04/2017 21:12 by grannyg.

pa8 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 21:16
Quote:
grannyg
Wilson stamped on Genge's ankle early in the game.Doesn't excuse the ball in face incident but there were some cheap shots on Genge as well.

What were the others ?

Ayerza wannabe (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 23:26
Quote:
Rafpilot2000
I was at the game yesterday sat in an area full of ex Leicester payers and coaching staff. Even they were commenting on Genge and his behaviour. I can't use their exact words but he clearly isn't particularly liked by the Leicester fans either.
I think despite the result the ref had a reasonable game overall and we weee simply beaten by a better team that was was playing less bad than we were. Sinotti and Watson rarely got the ball which highlights where the action mainly was.
Have to say, full credit to Leicester fans they were all friendly and welcoming. It would be nice to see them trying to stop saracens utter domination and the wealth of wasps

Don't know about the isn't particularly liked by Leicester fans bit.

Pretty much everyone I know loves Gengey.

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
16 April, 2017 23:29
Quote:
Ayerza wannabe
Quote:
Rafpilot2000
Have to say, full credit to Leicester fans they
were all friendly and welcoming. It would be nice to see them trying to stop saracens utter domination and the wealth of wasps

Don't know about the isn't particularly liked by Leicester fans bit.

Pretty much everyone I know loves Gengey.

Was gunna say, he got a roaring applause from the tigers faithful as he left the field. One of the biggest cheers of the afternoon.

muzzdobetter (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 00:30
One thing no one has mentioned which I thought was the worst sporting behaviour was Ben Youngs shouting at the ref demanding a yellow card as Falcons (he said) had conceded 6 penalties (oh the irony from a Tigers player!). Equivalent of a footballer brandishing the imaginary card to the ref, which is more worrying. Should have been a penalty against Youngs.

17 April, 2017 07:32
Quote:
dick g
Quote:
crumbiesmyhome
It is possible to state your opinion without being offensive and patronising. Please try to do so.

If you just let me know where in my message I was both offensive and patronising then of course I will apologise. It seems to me that the majority of the Falcon fans tend to agree with my comments.

I am really pleased that those of you who travelled to Welford Road enjoyed yourselves. I congratulate you on your support for your guys-I could certainly hear your chants throughout the game.

dick g (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 09:00
Quote:
crumbiesmyhome
Quote:
dick g
Quote:
crumbiesmyhome

If you just let me know where in my message I was both offensive and patronising then of course I will apologise. It seems to me that the majority of the Falcon fans tend to agree with my comments.

I am really pleased that those of you who travelled to Welford Road enjoyed yourselves. I congratulate you on your support for your guys-I could certainly hear your chants throughout the game.

I am afraid your initial rhetorical question suggests that those who disagree with you are not qualified to do so. This may not have been your intention. Having spent all my working life as a journalist, I know how difficult it can be to get nuances of meaning onto paper. As it happens, I have been watching rugby for 60 years. I do not. however, think this makes my opinions any more valid than anyone else's. Let's leave it there.

KingoftheHill (IP Logged)
17 April, 2017 11:45
You can take the boy out of Knowle West, but you can't take Knowle West out of the boy!! Class act

17 April, 2017 22:23
Quote:
dick g
Quote:
crumbiesmyhome
Quote:
dick g
Quote:
crumbiesmyhome

I am afraid your initial rhetorical question suggests that those who disagree with you are not qualified to do so. This may not have been your intention. Having spent all my working life as a journalist, I know how difficult it can be to get nuances of meaning onto paper. As it happens, I have been watching rugby for 60 years. I do not. however, think this makes my opinions any more valid than anyone else's. Let's leave it there.

Wow! A lesson on nuance and rhetorical advice from a journalist- I am not worthy!

dick g (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 08:35
Quote:
crumbiesmyhome
Quote:
dick g
Quote:
crumbiesmyhome
Quote:
dick g
Quote:
crumbiesmyhome

Let's leave it there.

Wow! A lesson on nuance and rhetorical advice from a journalist- I am not worthy!

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 08:38
Rugby is a physical collision sport. Its about getting at your opponents.

NZ have been masters of it FOR YEARS. As were the likes of Martin Johnson, Bakkies Botha etc etc... greats of the game.

Genge is young he'll grow out of the petulant side, but I have no problems with him being physical and aggressive and getting in peoples faces.
Indeed I welcome that especially when he backs that up by being a VERY good player who looks like he could go all the way.

Not sure why above said Marler was off aswell. ive always liked Marlers attitude.

Bottom line is we got royally humped in key areas of the pitch! The last 6-7 games have been a wake up call...we're improving but theres a long way to go!

Terry the horn (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 15:35
I hope that we do NOT go down the same road as football rugby is a very hard sport but players must show respect for each other yes play hard but FAIR but saying that some officials are not very streetwise 🏉🏉🏉🏉🏉🇬🇧

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 17:31
Flash points happen in a rugby game always will do, I mean did anybody actually watch South Africa vs Ireland in 1998 I believe ? more punch ups than actual rugby things have overall got better. smiling smiley

CSGG (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 11:34
Watched the highlights yesterday, can't see what the fuss is about, Genge's behaviour was fairly dickish but it seemed to be something else that sparked it all and then everyone piled in. Some pushing and shoving and then Sowery got caught in the red mist, if Genge had an attitude problem he'd have reacted to that a lot worse than he did.

I also thought the ref dealt with it well, a year ago would have seen a 10 minute TMO intervention ending up in many players getting binned/ sent off for the most innocuous bout of handbags.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net