rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 21st October v Bordeaux-Begles at Stade Chaban-Delmas, 5.30pm (UK time)

Sunday 29th October v Leicester Tigers at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 32-27 Dragons

If you where Dean who would you start for Wuss?
falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 13:25
With a very dangerous & in form warriors coming to Kingston Park who have beaten us on the last 5 occasions in just under a fortnight, Gary Gold will be keen to secure a first away win of the season and the clubs first in over a year. I don't feel too confident going into this one, our pack has been going backwards for about 4 or 5 games now, and with very powerful technicians that Warriors have in guys like Schonert, Bower, Ruskin O Callaghan in at lock and a very aggressive big back row with guys like Potgeiter, Lewis & Fa'asoliva who will look to dominate the breakdown when they come to KP. Our pack must front up and needs a big performance. They are not giving our backs a platform to play off at the minute so who do you pick? Based on what I've seen, this is who I would start.

1. Rob Vickers
2. Kyle Cooper- Aye throwing was awful, but our best option in the loose and brings a lot of go forward around the paddock.
3. Jon Welsh- been our best tighthead all season, needs to start.

4. Calum Green-Ever solid and reliant.
5. Will Witty- Need his bigger frame and weight in for the scrum and around the pitch

6. Mark Wilson
7. Will Welch
8. Callum Chick- been fantastic when ever he has came on, very powerful ball carrier and heavier than Nili, Local lad to start in an all academy back row

9. Sonetane Takalua-Need his tempo and quick service back.
10. Joel Hodgson-couldn't do anything against tigers, more than capable of getting this team going.

12. Juan Pablo Socino
13. Chris Harris- has been solid in defence and distribution but needs to carry more, he's a big unit would like to see him get some big carries, need his size to defend the likes of T'eo and Olivier....

11. Verniki Goneva
14. Zach Kibirige- An academy product who deserves a chance.
15. Alex Tait- I feel he is more confident under the high ball than Watson is....

16. Scotty Lawson- should Cooper have another mare at set peice, call on Lawson off the bench.
17. Scotty Wilson
18. David Wilson
19. Evan Olmsted
20. Nili Latu- Still a class player, but the wrong number 8 to play if you don't have the ball and your going backwards, he needs the ball in hand to play well as his link play and distribution is such a pivotal part of his game, take that away and he's quiet, can't youse him at the lineout, so the more athletic bigger Chick to start.
21. Micheal Young
22. Craig Willis
23. Dom Waldouck or Sinoti

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 18/04/2017 13:28 by falconsfan07.

Re: If you where Dean who would you start for Wuss?
GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 13:39
I think I'd be looking to bring Lawson back in. Make sure we had a good lineout platform for possession.

I'd also consider Waldouck at 13. The guy just seems to be the guy who keeps everything in place. Not flashy etc, but aids the fluid attacking etc.

And back row is a real conundrum. Wilson and Welch are very similar players. They are awesome but not the type to offer real go forward. I think next year, that is an area that needs to really get the right balance and that may mean one of Welch or Wilson.

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 13:44
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
I think I'd be looking to bring Lawson back in. Make sure we had a good lineout platform for possession.
I'd also consider Waldouck at 13. The guy just seems to be the guy who keeps everything in place. Not flashy etc, but aids the fluid attacking etc.

And back row is a real conundrum. Wilson and Welch are very similar players. They are awesome but not the type to offer real go forward. I think next year, that is an area that needs to really get the right balance and that may mean one of Welch or Wilson.

Aye I'm on the fence with Cooper, his darts have been poor for the past two games...but he offers a lot around the pitch...

Again, Waldouck is a natural distributor who can give the ball to Sinoti, Goneva, Watson and put them in space... but Harris hasn't done nothing wrong for me, he just hasn't had much ball... he needs a big game if he does start against Wuss.

Yes, both are just workhorses. Perhaps we will see a new Captain next season? A huge fan of Welch mind, and he went very well at the weekend.

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 13:48
Would have Watson or sinoti starting, they both offer you a different option keeps defenders guessing and can produce something out of nothing, Olmstead would be in my 15 any day of the week, the bloke is everywhere, steals line out ball, massive in defence and gets through some work in the loose,

18 April, 2017 13:51
Ah I can see what Cooper brings...its just we need a solid feed of possession. And the lineout is a means of that, which was working great with Lawson there.

We need to go back to getting the basics right.

Harris hasn't actually done anything wrong your right, but I'd just be interested to see how Waldouck altered the link play and style if he came back in.

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 13:58
Quote:
Benpj17
Would have Watson or sinoti starting, they both offer you a different option keeps defenders guessing and can produce something out of nothing, Olmstead would be in my 15 any day of the week, the bloke is everywhere, steals line out ball, massive in defence and gets through some work in the loose,

Watsons off in a couple of weeks...would rather give a young lad who wants to stay here the opportunity to show what he can do, it would be a good experience for him me thinks... agree Re Olmsted, just think When Witty is fit he is the better option. Olmsted can bring a lot off the bench.

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 14:04
In a game that we need to win to finish the season on a high I would start with proven big game players, Watson has played in pressure situations all over the world and has performed, yes he is off at the end of the season but no reason to hamper ourself, start Watson then maybe bring zach on for goneva in the final 20 depending on the situation, same with olmstead we need a solid line out him and Lawson offer that

alas (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 14:13
If Hogg is fit I would have him in the 23 ahead of Latu. If Robinson is fit the line-out needs him.

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 14:13
Good point benpj, he seems to be more effective on our turf too, I just want to see zach given a good go, perhaps a start against Bristol? I think he's ready for a prem start but would equally be happy to see Marcus get the nod.

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 14:15
Quote:
alas
If Hogg is fit I would have him in the 23 ahead of Latu. If Robinson is fit the line-out needs him.

Tough one isn't it, Latu or Hogg on the bench, Chick to definitely start though, been fantastic for us this season. Can't see Robinson being fit this season again, broken elbow wasn't it...shame he was awesome against Northampton!

18 April, 2017 14:20
Im not sure Robinson is fit though. Otherwise he's got to start.

We have good lock options...

steve1888 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 14:29
Harris
Lawson
Welsh
Green
Witty
Wilson
Welch
Hogg
Takalua
Willis
Watson
Socino
Waldouck
Goneva
Tait

subs
Vickers
Cooper
S Wilson
Olmstead
Chick
Young
Hodgson
Harris

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 19:24
[quote falconsfan07]
2. Kyle Cooper- Aye throwing was awful, but our best option in the loose and brings a lot of go forward around the paddock. ( this guy has a lot more to bring and has had an apprenticeship unlike non other with being understudy to Jon Smit and Bismarck du Plessis)

17. Scotty Wilson (hasn't had enough game time with injury, I would wipe this season off and hopefully give Wilson a gradual pre season)

20. Nili Latu- Still a class player, but the wrong number 8 to play if you don't have the ball and your going backwards, he needs the ball in hand to play well as his link play and distribution is such a pivotal part of his game, take that away and he's quiet, can't youse him at the lineout, so the more athletic bigger Chick to start.
(Agree to disagree here nili was fighting for the ball from most @#$%& and still coming out with the ball and making meters. His link play as first or sometimes second receiver from a line out wasn't best)

23 for Worcester game if fit

1. Ben Harris
2. Kyle Cooper
3. Jon Welsh
4. Calum Green
5. Mark Wilson
6. Will Welch
7. Nili Latu
8. Opeti Fonua/Ally Hogg

9. Sonetane Takalua
10. Craig Willis
12. Juan Pablo Socino
13. Dominic Waldouck
11. Verniki Goneva
14. Sinoti sinoti
15. Alex Tait

16. Scotty Lawson
17. Bobby Vickers
18. David Wilson
19. Evan Olmsted
20. Ally Hogg/Callum Chick
21. Micheal Young
22. Joel Hodgson
23. Marcus Watson

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 20:08
[quote Falcons_Thunder][quote falconsfan07]
2. Kyle Cooper- Aye throwing was awful, but our best option in the loose and brings a lot of go forward around the paddock. ( this guy has a lot more to bring and has had an apprenticeship unlike non other with being understudy to Jon Smit and Bismarck du Plessis)

17. Scotty Wilson (hasn't had enough game time with injury, I would wipe this season off and hopefully give Wilson a gradual pre season)

20. Nili Latu- Still a class player, but the wrong number 8 to play if you don't have the ball and your going backwards, he needs the ball in hand
to play well as his link play and distribution is such a pivotal part of his game, take that away and he's quiet, can't youse him at the lineout, so the more athletic bigger Chick to start.
(Agree to disagree here nili was fighting for the ball from most @#$%& and still coming out with the ball and making meters. His link play as first or sometimes second receiver from a line out wasn't best)

23 for Worcester game if fit

1. Ben Harris
2. Kyle Cooper
3. Jon Welsh
4. Calum Green
5. Mark Wilson
6. Will Welch
7. Nili Latu
8. Opeti Fonua/Ally Hogg

9. Sonetane Takalua
10. Craig Willis
12. Juan Pablo Socino
13. Dominic Waldouck
11. Verniki Goneva
14. Sinoti sinoti
15. Alex Tait

16. Scotty Lawson
17. Bobby Vickers
18. David Wilson
19. Evan Olmsted
20. Ally Hogg/Callum Chick
21. Micheal Young
22. Joel Hodgson
23. Marcus Watson[/quote]

Like that back row, it has a really good balance to it. Want Chris Harris to have a big game for us but Dom is a quality distributor who can put dangerous outside players in space.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 21:02
Tait
Goneva
Waldouck
Socino
Sinoti
Hodgson
Takulua
Vickers
Lawson
Welsh
Green
Witty
Wilson
Welch
Hogg

Sowrey
B Harris
S Wilson
Olmstead
Chick
Young
Willis
Kibirige

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
18 April, 2017 21:08
I would go similar to Leipy bar Watson in for Sinoti and Harris in for Waldouck

pityacker (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 07:03
Tate
Watson
Goneva
Socino
Sinoti
Hodgson
Takulua
Harris
Cooper
Welsh
Green
Witty
Chick
Welch
Hogg

Lawson
Vickers
S. Wilson
Fonua
M. Wilson
Young
Willis
Waldouck

Chick and Hogg would give some much needed lineout options and go forward and Goneva in his international position at 13 penetration in midfield. Obviously just my thoughts and zero chance of being selected.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
19 April, 2017 09:36
I'd start with the same team as Leipziger has chosen.

I don't know how much longer our two loyal and reliable Scottish internationals Scott Lawson and Ally Hogg will have playing in the Premiership but neither of them has ever let the club down and I reckon both deserve to start.

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
20 April, 2017 12:29
[ift.tt]

Warriors players are really targeting this game... hungry for a first away win of the season. Hopefully we don't come out all flat and lethargic and actually play some good rugby against them.

Thenomad (IP Logged)
21 April, 2017 23:42
Injuries permitting I would like to see the team that played the first half of the season, Witty, Sowrey, Tait, Olmstead, Chick etc We had go forward,it was exciting rugby and those young lads were putting markers down in the top flight. Since the return of the big names we have gone down the pan!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net