rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 9th December v Bordeaux-Begles at Kingston Park, 3.15pm

Friday 15th December v Dragons at Rodney Parade, 7.30pm

Last result: Northampton Saints 22-24 Newcastle Falcons

Worcester Preview
FalconsRugby.org.uk (IP Logged)
25 April, 2017 20:03
What do you think? You can have your say by posting below.
If you do not already have an account Click here to Register.

Re: Worcester Preview
alas (IP Logged)
25 April, 2017 20:18
Worcester are poor travellers everywhere, it would seem, apart from Kingston Park. A good performance against them is long, long overdue.

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
25 April, 2017 20:36
Quote:
alas
Worcester are poor travellers everywhere, it would seem, apart from Kingston Park. A good performance against them is long, long overdue.

Oh aye, they haven't won on the road in a year, but they're playing some really good rugby and in my opinion, had it not of been for the departure of Dean, it would of been a different season for them, the culture and vibe about the place stunk before Gold came in, but he's a passionate speaker and has obviously gave the guys there the kick up the bum they need.

We just always seem to be flat and inaccurate against them, can't put my finger on it why like, but I agree that a strong team performance with accuracy is long overdue.

Fingers crossed.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
25 April, 2017 22:10
They have some squad really when you look at it, one player what has stood out for them in my opinion is Will Spencer the big lock. smiling smiley

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
25 April, 2017 22:12
Quote:
AFalcon23
They have some squad really when you look at it, one player what has stood out for them in my opinion is Will Spencer the big lock. smiling smiley

Aye he's been good for them for the past couple of month, as has prop Ryan Bowers, Ryan Mills and Josh Adams. Looking very dangerous atm.

Underdog (IP Logged)
25 April, 2017 22:32
Worcs fan here.

Just wanted to say what a great preview this is, and clearly written by someone who knows their rugby. New info we've been getting is that Schonert is out for the remainder of the season and Adams might well miss out on the journey north.

Our likely team:
Pennell, Humphreys, Willison, T'eo, Heem, Mills, Hougaard; Bower, Taufete'e, Alo, DOC, Spencer, Vui, Lewis, Mama

I was really pleased to see Falcons do so well mid season and hope that we see a repeat from the start of next season. Best of luck.

dick g (IP Logged)
26 April, 2017 06:07
According to TRP Worcester spends 98% of its annual turnover on players wages. A pretty poor return, then.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
26 April, 2017 06:22
Quote:
dick g
According to TRP Worcester spends 98% of its annual turnover on players wages. A pretty poor return, then.

To be fair that just shows that reading too much into the guff that gets filed at Companies House is downright silly.

Getitright (IP Logged)
26 April, 2017 11:05
We're not that far removed in percentage terms of salary against turnover. We are certainly one of the higher percentages in the Premiership presumably due to the smaller turnover at KP compared to the 'larger' teams.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
26 April, 2017 12:05
Just hope we can get this monkey off our back and beat Worcester at home!

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
26 April, 2017 12:10
Quote:
Underdog
Worcs fan here.
Just wanted to say what a great preview this is, and clearly written by someone who knows their rugby. New info we've been getting is that Schonert is out for the remainder of the season and Adams might well miss out on the journey north.

Our likely team:
Pennell, Humphreys, Willison, T'eo, Heem, Mills, Hougaard; Bower, Taufete'e, Alo, DOC, Spencer, Vui, Lewis, Mama

I was really pleased to see Falcons do so well mid season and hope that we see a repeat fro
m the start of next season. Best of luck.

Thanks Underdog,

Much appreciated. Ahh I forgot about Mama, good fetcher and all round ball player as well. It would be a blessing for us to see Schonert out, he mullets us at the scrum last time out, as with Adams, he could cause some damage on our turf, lads on fire!

dick g (IP Logged)
26 April, 2017 16:22
Quote:
Monkey1
Quote:
dick g

To be fair that just shows that reading too much into the guff that gets filed at Companies House is downright silly.

OK Monk. I take your point. But how are the figs in TRP incorrect?

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
26 April, 2017 18:15
For the sake of argument assume the turnover of Wuss was 10m. They would then be spending 980,000 on wages and 200,000 on everything else. That is obviously away with the pixies, you simply cannot run Sixways & everything in it as well as medical, financial, insurance, etc for anything like that.

For example, if they take on average 40 people to every away game it would be a miracle if they could fly/bus, stay in hotels & eat for on average 200 per head so for 15 away games that comes to 120,000. That leaves you about 80,000 for everthing else, probably less than they spend on stock for the club shop.

After too many years looking at financial figures my first test is to ask if the big picture makes sense.

dick g (IP Logged)
26 April, 2017 18:40
Quote:
Monkey1
For the sake of argument assume the turnover of Wuss was 10m. They would then be spending 980,000 on wages and 200,000 on everything else. That is obviously away with the pixies, you simply cannot run Sixways & everything in it as well as medical, financial, insurance, etc for anything like that.
For example, if they take on average 40 people to every away game it would be a miracle if they could fly/bus, stay in hotels & eat for on average 200 per head so for 15 away games that comes to 120,000. That leaves you about 80,000 for everthing else, probably less than they spend on stock for the club shop.

After too many years looking at financial figures my first test is to ask if the big picture makes sense.

Thanks M. Perhaps the percentage of pay from turnover is accurate. But there are other sources of dosh which somehow aren't regarded as part of turnover. But then, I'm not an acootant.

Hopefully somebody else will challenge the figures in the next TRP.

usa warrior (IP Logged)
26 April, 2017 20:22
[quote falconsfan07][quote Underdog]

Thanks Underdog,

Much appreciated. Ahh I forgot about Mama, good fetcher and all round ball player as well. It would be a blessing for us to see Schonert out, he mullets us at the scrum last time out, as with Adams, he could cause some damage on our turf, lads on fire![/quote]

Unfortunately (for us) both Schonert and Adams are injured and out for the remainder. Bryce Heem is just as deadly on the wing though! Young tight heads though so Schonert is a loss.

Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
27 April, 2017 07:15
Quote:
Monkey1

Monkey1, Worcester Warriors, I'm sure like many modern clubs, is a combination of entities.

WRFC Players Ltd is set up solely for the payment of the playing staff. It does this on behalf of its parent company WRFC Trading Ltd.

The Trading Company runs the stadium and the commercial side of the business.

In turn, Trading is financed by Hockley Investments, a company wholly owned by a Mr. David Allan and his family, the Jersey based Chairman/owner of DHL distribution.

I understand during the period of Dean Ryan's tenure one of of the primary objectives was heavy reinvestment in the Club's academies and provision of new regional training centres. This was funded by Hockley investments to the tune of 6 million.

I'm fairly sure this would account for some of figures.

Although Dean did ultimately "leave us in the lurch" this is looking to be a worthwhile investment as talented youngsters are starting to break into the first team squad.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
27 April, 2017 10:05
I had a quick peruse at the published accounts last night & as Southstand says, there is all sorts of stuff moving around, which is what you would expect. For a journalist to then state that 98% of the club turnover is player wages just illustrates nicely why you shouldn't believe anything that you read in the papers.

Southstand(again) (IP Logged)
27 April, 2017 11:04
Wuss squad for Friday

15 Chris Pennell
14 Bryce Heem
13 Wynand Olivier
12 Ben Te'o
11 Perry Humphreys
10 Ryan Mills (C)
9 Francois Hougaard
1 Val Rapava Ruskin
2 Joe Taufete'e
3 Biyi Alo
4 Chris Vui
5 Will Spencer
6 Dewald Potgieter
7 Sam Lewis
8 Marco Mama

Replacements
16 Jack Singleton
17 Ryan Bower
18 Gareth Milasinovich
19 Darren Barry
20 Alafoti Faosiliva
21 Luke Baldwin
22 Ryan Lamb
23 Cooper Vuna

dick g (IP Logged)
27 April, 2017 15:42
Quote:
Monkey1
I had a quick peruse at the published accounts last night & as Southstand says, there is all sorts of stuff moving around, which is what you would expect. For a journalist to then state that 98% of the club turnover is player wages just illustrates nicely why you shouldn't believe anything that you read in the papers.

Naughty, naughty O Mighty Monk. You shouldn't believe EVERYTHING you read in the papers. I'm sure this is what you really mean.

Albionwarrior (IP Logged)
27 April, 2017 16:02
Hi Newcastle friends

Looking forward to a good game, appears we are both putting out a strong side and both will have strong attacking intent in the backs.

Our pack looks solid with Vui moving from the back row to second row.

Heem returning on the wing is a plus.

We will at last be playing with no fear of relegation hanging over our head.

With us both being used to playing on likewise services it will be a fast, explosive and high scoring game IMO.

The team that executes it's game plan best and makes the least number of mistakes will win .... stating the obvious aren't I.

See you tomorrow evening and as always looking forward to superb Falcons hospitality.

All the best

Albionwarrior

28 April, 2017 10:47
Just walked past Gary Gold in the metrocentre. That was weird.

aidanb (IP Logged)
28 April, 2017 11:05
Quote:
NorfolkFalcon
Just hope we can get this monkey off our back and beat Worcester at home!

Monkey, what are you doing on his back ?

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
28 April, 2017 11:30
Quote:
aidanb

Monkey, what are you doing on his back ?

We are consenting adults.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net