rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Season over - see you in September!

Last result: Bristol Rugby 27-39 Newcastle Falcons

Euro Cup
Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 00:33
Know it may not be over popular but from this Falcon I just want to congratulate Sarries on their win. You have to admire everything about them and it sets the benchmark for where we want to end up, fanatastic players, squad spirit, fantastic team. Plus, great to see an English team win, so from this Falcon, well done Sarries, genuine and heartfelt congratulations.

Re: Euro Cup
DJMc (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 09:22
I thoroughly enjoyed the final, it was two teams giving their all and that's all the spectator can ask for.

It was good to see Ian Peel in the coach's box.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 11:08
Joe Shaw coaches there too doesn't he?

Excellent final and Sarries are excellent in general, only thing they lack is the support base they deserve. Clermont were worthy finalists too and one of their fans I met from our trip there was sending me pics and links (in French like) from the city centre, looked incredible but obviously he was disappointed. Tough call between that and Galway trip for best ever Falcons away trip.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 11:24
European Champions Cup final weekends are wonderful gatherings of the rugby clan. There was a superb atmosphere at Murrayfield yesterday. We were surrounded by rugby fans from all over Europe as well as Clermont and north London.

It's just fantastic that the Falcon's Management have had the vision to successfully bring this festival of rugby to Newcastle in 2019. It's gonna be a great occasion and a huge boost for rugby in the North.

Sarries werer deserved winners,stronger,fitter and better than poor old Clermont. It's hard not to like them as a club no big egos and humble with the common touch. After all the ceremonies Owen Farrell went out on the pitch with his little lad and played "missed tackles". Great stuff and only in rugby.

If we can make the top six next season and qualify for the Champions Cup, 2018/19 is going to be a memorable season in the north east.

tpr's headmistress (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 16:12
Cantabrian, that's Farrells little brother.(Sm125)

trummy200 (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 16:45
I could perhaps warm to them a little more if there had been more transparency re the salary cap investigation

lizard118 (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 16:58
Quote:
trummy200
I could perhaps warm to them a little more if there had been more transparency re the salary cap investigation
To be honest I blame the overseers in that. If we we're in the position I'm sure we'll do the same. It's all about money and manipulation in the end.
Congratulations and a big well done to Sarries, and I echo the sentiments above regarding team ethos Sarries have.

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 17:52
Quote:
trummy200

Like we were

exhooker (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 19:57
I reckon that was just about the best game of top class rugby I have seen and indeed the atmosphere in Edinburgh was wonderful

Leipziger (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 23:37
Quote:
Exiled Falcon
Know it may not be over popular but from this Falcon I just want to congratulate Sarries on their win. You have to admire everything about them and it sets the benchmark for where we want to end up, fanatastic players, squad spirit, fantastic team. Plus, great to see an English team win, so from this Falcon, well done Sarries, genuine and heartfelt congratulations.

Agree with all that.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 08:41
Ooops!!

Thanks tpr's headmistress.

pityacker (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 09:30
Saracens recruits for next season will make them even stronger.

DeceptivePace (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 11:29
There was a fair bit of sniggering went on a few years ago at the repeated mantra of "something special happening at Saracens" when new recruits joined. Pretty much spot on as it has turned out though. Some of their players may be on salary cap busting deals but it seems pretty clear that they are a tight bunch rather than just a collection of mercenaries.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 13:02
Quote:
DeceptivePace
.... it seems pretty clear that they are a tight bunch rather than just a collection of mercenaries.

The style of rugby that they play simply wouldn't work with a bunch or mercenaries. It requires total commitment from everybody, and what makes Sarries so impressive to watch is just how clinical they are. Everything to a very rigid structure that everybody understands, and most importantly everyone knows how their team mates around the will react and where they will be in any situation.

It is disappointing that they are not growing a decent support base considering their success and location. The management must be very frustrated and wondering what exactly they have to do to attract people. The big exhibition games attract very good crowds, but the loyal supporters who turn up every home game must be mainly the old crowd from Vicarage Road days. I suppose there is a lesson there that success on the pitch does not necessarily translate into increased support. Those of us who think a couple of decent seasons for the Falcons will get KP packed out again may want to take note. It could be a hard old slog.

15 May, 2017 21:33
True. Plus our problem was we never really had time to build up a support base. In a short space of time we went from 2,000 watching the then Newcastle Gosforth to becoming league champions. And soon after we went on a long spiral of mediocrity where the latecomers would lose interest.

I remember a Tigers fan saying after we beat them at Gateshead how it's easy to build a team but not easy to build a club, and he was quite right. Hopefully we can gradually lure in more fans and carry on attracting the student population, whether Sarries fan base has plateaued only time will tell.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 07:54
I do wonder if Sir John Hall's vision for the sporting club would have worked, with a city centre location I think it would have been easier to build a decent fan base, but we'll never know.

16 May, 2017 08:02
Would be interesting to know. I remember at the time there was a lot of unhappy football supporters who felt that SJH was simply diverting money away from the football club. Whether they were right are were just very short sighted and too football-over-everything-else is a matter of opinion.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 09:18
If I remember right, Newcastle United were advised to drop the sporting club concept when they floated on the stock market, and did so. I don't know whether the rugby and other sports did divert money away from the football club but on whether NUFC fans were "short-sighted", to be fair I would be a bit miffed if the Falcons' performance dropped because of owning Thunder as well.

I'm not sure the city centre location makes any difference - the basketball team are one of the best in England but they play in a 3000-capacity arena (although rugby is a far bigger sport in England than basketball is). However, having a stadium easily visible in the city centre is a great bit of free advertising.

Saracens' ground isn't in the best location, being way up in north London and even with the free buses and all the volunteers helping fans, it's not that easy to get to. They might suffer from being in London, where they are competing with a plethora of football clubs, theatres and all the other entertainment options in the capital. As for the Falcons, our challenges are maybe a bit different - we are far away (in distance and probably in mind) from Twickenham, in an area where football is by far the dominant sport, and we've had years of not only poor performance but a negative style of play turning people off.

CSGG (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 12:14
Whist on the Euro cup subject, next season I'd like to see us have a real go at the Challenge cup. Recent seasons have seen us use it as an opportunity to rest players for the prem and lift our EQP quota.

If we're serious about being a decent club then this is the kind of progression we need to see.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 12:15
I think Sky's money for Falcons came from his own pocket not NUFC. I do know that trips to the athletic stadium were tantamount to boycotted by fans. The suggestion at the time being that the rural element of the fan base didn't want to take their nice cars South of the Tyne!

Certainly KP is easier to access by Range Rover than SJP - though I would suggest you are mightily fickle if that effects your thinking!

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 12:36
Quote:
CSGG
Whist on the Euro cup subject, next season I'd like to see us have a real go at the Challenge cup. Recent seasons have seen us use it as an opportunity to rest players for the prem and lift our EQP quota.

At a recent Supp Club natter with players this was brought up in relation to asking what would happen if we qualified for the big cup competition this year. They were brutally honest & said that would probably put the club backwards rather than forwards, the squad is still not strong enough to cope with that level of competition, and trying to compete would adversely affect our league performance, as it did for Sale in similar circumstances.

They do try to compete in the cup games, it is not used as a source of EQP funding, its main function is player development. As soon as a club decides to field a strong team against us however we fall over, and to stop that from happening you would have to include players who you need to rest to keep them ready for league games, and that isn't going to happen. Until we can compete properly in both league and the Challenge Cup, we are not ready for the Champions Cup.

It is possibly not what we want to hear, but makes sense.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 13:04
Quote:
Monkey1

Until we can compete properly in both league and the Challenge Cup, we are not ready for the Champions Cup.

It is possibly not what we want to hear, but makes sense.

It does make sense but I don't know how you square this circle then, because Champions Cup brings more revenue, I believe, through T.V. is that right? Which would mean the club would have the potential to pay for more players to strengthen the squad and raise it's profile to encourage folks to come along and watch. It would also I imagine have a positive effect on the calibre of player the club could look to attract.

I don't profess to have an answer, I was wondering what other people thought

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 16:01
I'm sure the Exeter chairman said that you don't really see any money unless you get through to the knockout stages

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 18:33
Ben is right. Apart from potentially getting more decent crowds for Champions Cup games than Challenge Cup games, the income from it is something of a winner takes all concept, which strikes me as utter nonsense. It costs clubs a lot of money to maintain a squad that will compete at this level as well as in league games, but the rewards don't even cover a fraction of that cost.

I am sure that the good old Heineken Cup rewarded all clubs who competed in it for a share of the TV dosh. When they negotiated the stupid CC it seems only a small amount goes to the clubs, and just to the finalists, and the rest presumably disappears into some sort of Sepp Blatter scheme. If anybody actually knows how the finances work I would be interested to know, but I suspect that the situation is far from being transparent.

Too far away (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 23:36
If I remember it correctly the 'good old Heineken Cup' or more precisely it's governing body the ERC divided the money by union. So England with 12 teams in Europe only got 24% of the money despite providing about a third of the teams.

The replacement competition roughly divides the money up more equally amongst the teams so I reckon we are better where we are. Especially as the majority of the teams in the AP can't guarantee that they will be the top tier European competition next year.

17 May, 2017 16:11
Quote:
Kwa444
I think Sky's money for Falcons came from his own pocket not NUFC. I do know that trips to the athletic stadium were tantamount to boycotted by fans. The suggestion at the time being that the rural element of the fan base didn't want to take their nice cars South of the Tyne!
Certainly KP is easier to access by Range Rover than SJP - though I would suggest you are mightily fickle if that effects your thinking!

I'm sure they could have pooled chauffeurs!!

alas (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 05:06
The European Champions Cup should get even better with the PRO12 qualification becoming entirely meritocratic. No more easy 10 points against an Italian makeweight. [www.bbc.co.uk]

steve1888 (IP Logged)
19 May, 2017 08:40
Challenge cup should have more meaning too with Champions cup qualification.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net

Newcastle Falcons Poll

Is this a poll

See results > Submit >>