rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 21st October v Bordeaux-Begles at Stade Chaban-Delmas, 5.30pm (UK time)

Sunday 29th October v Leicester Tigers at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 32-27 Dragons

Wilson for England
Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 16:06
Mark selected in Englands training camp for the BaaBaas and Argentina games
Fantastic news, about time and well deserved
A chance to impress

[www.englandrugby.com]

Re: Wilson for England
NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 16:38
Great news and well deserved!

lizard118 (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 16:50
Excellent! Very much deserved. I'd go as far as say he's been the form 6 in the AP this season. About time too. Well done to the lad. Really happy for him. Excellent.

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 17:39
Hahaha I messaged the baa baa's a few weeks ago regarding Mark Wilson. Great news for the lad

Running Rugby (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 17:44
Happy for Wilson, but England are really taking the p**s with the foreign players now!

Jason Woodward, Denny Solomona and now Willi Heinz and Nick Schonert? Are you joking? The guys couldn't be less English if they tried!

The hypocrisy from the RFU, especially as they were pushing for the residency rule to be extended, is beyond belief!

It really is becomming a joke now.....something needs to be done by world rugby, to stop this.

The residency being extended is a start, but I would be happier with a rule that says, "a player is only eligible to play for the country of his birth", none of this grandparent nonesense, no residency loophole, just plain and simple.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2017 17:51 by Running Rugby.

pityacker (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 17:53
Dan Robson and Joe Simpson won't be bothered as the 4 teams involved in the play offs ain't available for this camp and lots of the players chosen for this camp unlikely to be selected for the next ones.

14 May, 2017 17:56
Dan Robson and Joe Simpson are not the point I am making, and I realised that they would not be selected for the squad, and deleted that part of my post.

Surely we have players in England who are actually English, that should be getting a chance ahead of foreign imports....not good for the game and the development of young players, not just from England but from all over world rugby.

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 17:56
Which other 9s and 10s in the league would you pick, forgetting ones in the lions and playoffs doesn't leave many quality ones kicking around

14 May, 2017 18:04
Quote:
Benpj17
Which other 9s and 10s in the league would you pick, forgetting ones in the lions and playoffs doesn't leave many quality ones kicking around

Charlie Mulchrone Scrum Half (Harlequins)
James Mitchell Scrum Half (Sale) - has always looked good for the under20s.
Freddie Burns
Callum Braley Scrum Half (Gloucester)
Aaron Morris (Fullback, Harlequins)

just off the top of my head....and I am sure there are others from the under20s off last season that could get a development chance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 14/05/2017 18:06 by Running Rugby.

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 18:10
In all fairness this isn't even a capped game, it is a training game to see who can fill some spots on the Argentina tour, the names mentioned above wouldn't stand a chance of being in the match day 23 if all players avalible are fit

alnwickfalcon (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 18:23
Massive congratulations to Mark and I'm glad he's getting a shred of recognition.

I know it's just a training squad and is full of youngsters and foreign born players untested who have done ok in Premiership games.

I am however a bit disappointed that, if the England coaches were going to open the training squad to young players then we should have had a bigger say in the squad than just Mark.

Callum Chick - Played in lots of Premiership games this season and was a World Cup winning England under 20's captain.

Will Witty - another England under 20's World Cup winner and has played lots of AP games this year.

I'm sorry but most of the other kids from Sale, Bath, Worcester don't come close to having the already impressive CV our young lads have.

Will Welsh - I know the England back row is competitive but he can't be that far off.

What's everyone's thoughts?

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 19:37
My thoughts are the same as yours Alnwick

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 21:36
Great news for Wilson about time. smiling smiley

steve1888 (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 22:21
Great news for him, he got a run out a couple of years ago against the Barbarians but then Lancaster got replaced. Hope he gets on the pitch and shows he should be on tour.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
14 May, 2017 23:36
Good news, hopefully he gets some gametime and maybe even a cap in Argentina.

Falconski (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 00:01
Well its about blinking time Mark got the recognition he so deserves

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 06:46
Very pleased for Mark. Well deserved.

Don't think Welch is England level. That's not knocking what he does for us.

Think Chick and Witty have just lost out because they havent had the game time this season. Also Chick is in that same very competitive back row where Mark has just made it and Will Welch doesn't. Lock is pretty competitive too.

I agree about the imports. I guess they are looking to see if they are any good with a view to 2019 and experience. I am happy the the birth rule doesn't exist as we have mentioned before the likes of Tuilagi and Rokoduguni who both deserve their recognition and have been 100% about their nation.

To be honest I understand the like of Hughes and Te'o being selected, and to some extent Solomona (Though I am not keen on his character). These others I am not happy about as they are not exceptional.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 07:26
Well at least recognition that he exists constitutes some sort of start. Excellent news & the experience will certainly do him good.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 07:34
Great news for Mark and a deserved call.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 08:47
Good news for Mark at last. Hope the camp is a big success for him

pa8 (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 09:35
Pleased for Mark, but Willi Heinz ???? He's a 30 year old very average foreigner, as said above surely some of the kids would do better. Fair enough I know there are several scrum halves not available due to club commitments but what does Heinz offer ? It's not like we need to see what we might have available for the World Cup as he'll be 32 by then and I can't see his averageness improving with age.

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 09:37
Quote:
Kwa444
Very pleased for Mark. Well deserved.
Don't think Welch is England level. That's not knocking what he does for us.

Think Chick and Witty have just lost out because they havent had the game time this season. Also Chick is in that same very competitive back row where Mark has just made it and Will Welch doesn't. Lock is pretty competitive too.

I agree about the imports. I guess they are looking to see if they are any good with a view to 2019 and experience. I am happy the the birth rule doesn't exist as we have mentioned before the likes of Tuilagi and Rokoduguni who both deserve their recognition and have been 100% about their nation.

To be honest I understand the like of Hughes and Te'o being selected, and to some extent Solomona (Though I am not keen on his character). These others I am not happy about as they are not exceptional.

Hughes and solomona are just mercenaries and don't honestly care it's a joke. But Te'o is different, his Mam is English so he has ever right to play for England

upwardonward (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 10:30
Absolutely delighted for Mark. Well deserved and I am sure what he learns from such a training camp will benefit Falcons moving forward.

Many have said that our skipper WW is not good enough for such a camp and I would strongly disagree.

Like our DOR, Mark and many others, I am a big fan of Will and think whilst neither Will or Mark will unfortunately,more than likely not figure in a Jones' starting 15,I think both of them have had outstanding seasons for their team and deserve an England training camp.
If only to benefit Falcons and boost confidence for not only themselves BUT the rest of the guys who have England ambitions.
If only they played for a more glamourous team instead of fighting of relegation for most of there careers, IMO they would have figured much earlier. Loyalty .

Again well done Mark.

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 10:32
Chuffed for Mark, something that he has worked for a very long time and he's finally starting to get some recognition for it so couldn't be happier for him. Hopefully gets a cap in Argentina!

Leipziger (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 11:55
Quote:
pa8
Pleased for Mark, but Willi Heinz ???? He's a 30 year old very average foreigner, as said above surely some of the kids would do better. Fair enough I know there are several scrum halves not available due to club commitments but what does Heinz offer ? It's not like we need to see what we might have available for the World Cup as he'll be 32 by then and I can't see his averageness improving with age.

So much for skipping a generation and looking at youngsters.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 12:01
Yep Heinz is strange

My statement regarding Hughes and Solomona was in respect.of the fact that they are (like it or not) high calibre international quality athletes. Therefore while the rules permit I understand their inclusion.

I don't believe that either of the other two added meet this requirement. They are no more exceptional than a number of players in the AP who would have a stronger argument for a call.

captainhaircut (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 13:35
It's a training squad that will be supplemented with players from whichever top 4 clubs don't make the final.

Not impressed wby Willi Heinz but a friend made a good point- Jones probably just wants someone who can pass the ball out to the backs for a week before Robson, Simpson, Maunder etc are freed up.

Outside of the top 4, there aren't many first choice English scrum halves to choose from. As people may remember, Young actually got on the Saxons tour last year...

DeceptivePace (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 14:14
I've always been impressed by Ben Spencer at Sarries, but he probably doesn't get enough game time to force himself into the reckoning just at the minute. With deKock finishing, next season could be a big one for him, although Sarries like the kicking game that Wigglesworth has.

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 14:21
They have been picked for a baa baas game to fill some spaces, don't see why people are getting all frustrated about an uncapped match, I wonder if the Irish were up in arms about CJ stander being picked for Ireland? It also seems strange that Ben Teo is fine as his mum is English but he has played rugby league for Samoa

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 21:24
The RFU aren't hypocritical at all, they are simply allowing players to be picked under the current criteria which as most of us agree, is pants. Luckily residency rule is changing, pity about the grandparent rule.

Re the squad, fantastic for Mark Wilson, hopefully Chick and Witty's times will come. Re this squad, did have to have a double take when I saw Heinz, he's not exactly in the up and coming category. However Captain Haircut's mate probably has it spot on.

lebigmac69 (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 21:28
Quote:
To be honest I understand the like of Hughes and Te'o being selected, and to some extent Solomona (Though I
Hughes and solomona are just mercenaries and don't honestly care it's a joke. But Te'o is different, his Mam is English so he has ever right to play for England

How do you know they don't care?

What criteria would be acceptable to you? Seems peculiar to say having an English mum is ok even though he played for a different country already and also to make wild unsubstantiated claims about what others think!

lizard118 (IP Logged)
15 May, 2017 21:41
Quote:
Falcons_Thunder

This has to be one one the most simplistic conclusions I've ever come across.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/05/2017 21:42 by lizard118.

Trebor1892 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 16:46
And now shortlisted for premiership player of the year - not a bad week for mr Wilson

pityacker (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 16:52
Would be great for Mark and the club to win this a real honour however I suspect an ex Falcon a certain Jimmy Gopperth may be favourite.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 18:22
It's great to see him alongside those illustrious names. Well deserved.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 18:35
I hope he feels quite decently chuffed.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
16 May, 2017 20:51
I think Rhodes will take the player of the year medal.

But what a superb effort by mark to be in that list whilst playing for a small northern club seemingly forgotten by Eddie Jones and the rfu.

I agree with the questions over Heinze being selected. He won't be picked for the tour and likely only acting as opposition during the practice sessions.......but it's shocking that he is even there and surely young english lads from the u20 etc would be able to perform that role?

Getitright (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 11:50
Remember it's U20's World Cup in a few weeks so players in that squad will be more than happy to go to Georgia. That's where their focus will and should be. Their time will come in due course if they perform well at that level.

Also worth noting that the international age groups now have Dean Ryan, Steve Bates, John Fletcher, Mark Laycock and Peter Walton in their management ranks.

Firstly it's a shame we can't turn out more players of their calibre but surely our academy must get a look in provided we can offer the right talent from the NE? There should be no 'Eddie Jones' excuses at these age group levels

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 16:33
Not really sure how our club is forgotten by Eddie Jones and the RFU. As above there are a host of Falcons related coaches doing the age grade rounds and can anyone honestly see Eddie Jones saying to the Cumbrian Steve Borthwick and Novocastrian Paul Gustard "Jeez mate I'm going to ignore all the Poms who play for that Newcastle mob"? and just as much can you imagine Eddie being told by some suit from the RFU who he can and cannot pick.

If our players are good enough they'll get picked, as they have in the past.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
17 May, 2017 21:47
Mark might be shortlisted for player of the year but didn't make the dream team XV which I can't understand. Good enough to make a top 6 shortlist but not good enough for dream team?

pityacker (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 07:52
Sadly Mark Wilson didn't win the Player of the Season or feature in the Team of the Season but the player of the season was won by ex Falcon Jimmy Gopperth who is playing the best rugby of his career at the latter end of his playing days , congratulations and well done Jimmy always a top man on and off the field at KP.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
18 May, 2017 12:03
Quote:
Falc Dancer
Mark might be shortlisted for player of the year but didn't make the dream team XV which I can't understand. Good enough to make a top 6 shortlist but not good enough for dream team?
The dream team was done by a single commentator whereas premier rugby had Wilson nominated. Different angles. The said commentator appears to have a bias towards the southern teams. I'm not really bothered. We know Mark is a top player and that's all that matters. Whether he can step up will be down to how much he wants it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net