rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 15th December v Dragons at Rodney Parade, 7.30pm

Saturday 23rd December v Harlequins at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 52-24 Bordeaux-Begles

2017/18 Shirt
Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
20 May, 2017 18:40
With the season having drawn to a close and hopefully our enhanced performance attracting sponsors, does anyone have any thoughts for our home and away kits next season?
Both Mr Smith and Mr Hogan are active on here so it may be an opportunity to offer suggestions ?
The Gilbert kit seems to have been good quality but the lack of a ladies shirt seems rather disapointing.
What colour away kit would you suggest? Potential sponsors? Do we need a cotton supporters shirt with a collar?would we sell enough to justify a ladies kit? Should we have any charity logos on our kit? Maybe do a limited edition Remembrance Day/st George's day kit?

Re: 2017/18 Shirt
Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
20 May, 2017 19:52
Would love to see Under Armour as the kit manufacturer. And a local sponsor

exhooker (IP Logged)
21 May, 2017 07:35
I liked the orange away kit, but wished there had been a long sleeved replica version

steve1888 (IP Logged)
21 May, 2017 09:14
Purple maybe? Thunder have purple in their colours, nice to have similar. I also like our pink kit bag in the day.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
21 May, 2017 09:31
As long as we don't have an online betting company as a sponsor I'll be happy, would be great if a big local firm like Sage or Bellway sponsored us but sadly don't see it happening. Hopefully we can still get replica shirts for those of us not quite with the trimmest of waists!

Leipziger (IP Logged)
21 May, 2017 10:30
Green would be a good away colour, since it's 140 years since the Gosforth club was first founded.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
21 May, 2017 14:39
Clearly then what we need is a green away strip sponsored by 'GREGGS' the bakers who started in Gosforth!
The tighter test shirts are great but other than being a Lycra fir the quality fir the extra money isn't great. Most other teams 'test' shirts at least have rubberised grip or a bit more robust.
Who is our kit manufacturer next season? Still Gilbert?

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
22 May, 2017 06:28
Quote:
Rafpilot2000
.... sponsored by 'GREGGS' the bakers who started in Gosforth!

Erm, perhaps not. Their public image these days is somewhere below that of people who club baby seals to death.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
22 May, 2017 07:30
What's wrong with an online betting company? Sports related and if they or anyone else is willing to stump up alot of money then let them.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
22 May, 2017 08:53
It was meant tongue in cheek but fair one 🤔

TrailApe (IP Logged)
22 May, 2017 10:34
Quote:
Hopefully we can still get replica shirts for those of us not quite with the trimmest of waists!

One hundred plusses to the above.

Lets face it a good proportion of the crowd are former players who have lost the training regime whilst still retaining the social side of the sport, so please no more 'sausage skins' for us 'well rounded' individuals. Lets face it, for some of us pulling on a skinny fit clingy shirt is tantamount to a crime against humanity.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
22 May, 2017 18:13
Was going to mention Greggs but with the current strain on the NHS due to a proportion of the population's eating habits I thought I better not!

As for online betting companies, no better than pay day lenders....now people can lose lots of money on their phone or in the comfort of their own house without even having to cross their door step. Just my opinion mind you, am sure loads will disagree.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
22 May, 2017 18:37
I was given an insight into the marketing strategies of one of the big online betting companies, and it is downright evil. The same company uses different brands which are promoted to different sectors of society via various outlets at different times of the day, to ruthlessly remove money from those who can least afford to lose it. I would be disgusted to see one of these companies promoting itself on a Falcons shirt.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
22 May, 2017 20:38
Always a difficult one , and I'm guessing a tough call for the club if a company offers good money. Online gambling is a social issue but didn't we have Bet 188 on our shirts a few years ago? Lending companies get families into difficulties yet have a lot of spare cash at present. Cigarette companies can't advertise, greggs is out the window, and some people disagree with alcohol sponsorship or energy drinks. Seems it's hard to hit the happy medium.
Didn't we go a season without sponsorship at all as no one was offering a sensible amount?
Could we maybe align with a charity and have their logo on the shirt somewhere?

steve1888 (IP Logged)
23 May, 2017 09:32
People were happy with an Alcohol firm sponsoring but not a betting firm because it get's people into difficulties?

There's an awful lot of money in sport from betting firms and some people enjoy gambling and don't get into bother with it just like some people enjoy alcohol and don't get into bother with it. I dare say Greggs cause issues too to some.

If there's a company out there that is willing to put sizeable funds in then surely it's good for the club, I reckon the commercial team's job is difficult enough without concerns over a fans revolt if they aren't happy with the brand.

01 June, 2017 22:08
Any updates on this?

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
02 June, 2017 09:40
Maybe a Mark Wilson limited edition with an England flag on the front like other clubs do!;-)
Any idea how much it costs a company to sponsor a team like the Falcons for a year? We always hear about the football mega deals so would be a nice insight though obviously exact details are sensitive I guess.
Are we still under contract with Gilbert?
Any chance of a ladies shirt this year?- am I right in thinking Kooga were the last Ines to do a ladies shirt ( the pink one)?
Are we doing just a home and away shirt?or is there liable to be a third European shirt?
Certainly the green of gosforth would be nice to see.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
25 June, 2017 13:56
Any updates ?

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
25 June, 2017 15:16
Not that I have heard or seen
With the players being back in pre season you would like to think the players would have their new training gear ready but it seems not
Deal with Gilbert has ended as has the Greene King sponsorship

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
25 June, 2017 17:11
Will be interesting which supplier we go with. Canterbury would be nice, as indeed would be adidas, nike or indeed Gilbert again. Hopefully not Irion though.
Hopefully our performance and table placing would have made us more sponsorship friendly

skip mcskipper (IP Logged)
27 June, 2017 06:01
Wonder why it's taking so long? I'm hoping that because of last seasons progress there's to many to choose from.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
28 June, 2017 21:01
News from Mick tonight at the Supporters Club meeting is that details of the new shirts will be announced in about a week. The ladies have been asking for years for a ladies fit shirt, they are going to be very happy.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
29 June, 2017 06:52
That's fantastic news,mrs pilot will be very happy. It's been a number of years since the club did a ladies shirt so hopefully it will be a real commercial success. I find it amazing that given the demographic of the crowd at Kingston park , the club get loads of men's shirts, lots of children's shirts then totally overlook the 30-40% of those on the crowd. I understand the issue with minimum order numbers but buying more appropriate sizes would help. Eg, not many people fit into a size xs player style shirt .

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
29 June, 2017 10:56
I think the issue was actually that Gilbert didn't want to make a ladies-fit shirt.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 06:50
Delayed?

Rugbyears (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 11:02
Quote:
Falc Dancer
Delayed?
I can say very little, other than Its not one of the big 'Regular' manufacturers, although they have provided kit for one premiership team. Fortunately there is a large retail collection.

I think we will all be pleasantly pleased.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 11:12
The deal is all sorted and kit for the squad is starting to arrive. Hopefully not long now before we can announce it.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
07 July, 2017 15:55
Cheers for the update Smithy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net