rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 21st October v Bordeaux-Begles at Stade Chaban-Delmas, 5.30pm (UK time)

Sunday 29th October v Leicester Tigers at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 32-27 Dragons

Tom Catterick retires.
pa8 (IP Logged)
22 May, 2017 17:55
Tom Catterick has announced his retirement from rugby aged 26.

Announcing his retirement, Catterick told the clubs official website: Well, what a journey it has been. The time has come for me to end my professional rugby career.

Ive managed to make a living from my hobby, and Im so proud of that.

I want to thank everyone Ive met or played with for the past nine years for making the whole experience so incredible.

Im excited for what the future holds for me, and I wish Newcastle Falcons all the best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 22/05/2017 17:56 by pa8.

Re: Tom Catterick retires.
alas (IP Logged)
22 May, 2017 18:28
A shame Tom's career has fizzled out, hampered by injuries, because he had genuine flair. The Falcons did not play much entertaining rugby in the championship, but what they did was often provided by him. Then had a decent run at 10 in the following season. Also a class sevens player.

pityacker (IP Logged)
22 May, 2017 18:57
A naturally gifted player who promised so much but in the end it never really happened for why I wouldn't presume to guess. Best of luck for whatever the future holds Tom it's been a pleasure.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
22 May, 2017 19:29
A thoroughly committed Falcons player, great to have seen him play for us, utterly toppest of top blokes. Best of luck for whatever life brings his way next.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
22 May, 2017 19:45
I didn't expect that, I thought he may of went to a new club but not retire at 26. Wish him all the best. smiling smiley

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
22 May, 2017 21:38
Got to respect that. Injury has significantly hampered him. He was first choice 10 at one stage only to get injured and not regain that form or opportunity.

Credit that he has decided if his spell in the top flight has finished that he doesn't want to move to a lower level but call it time.

Many athletes don't have that maturity in their mid 30s.

zackary71 (IP Logged)
22 May, 2017 21:57
A loyal servant and thoroughly decent bloke who always took the time to speak to the Falcons away supporters. I wish him well for the next stage of his career.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
23 May, 2017 05:30
A cracking player on his day, real shame he's had to hang up his boots so young. Some of the flat passes he used to send out were like missles!

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
23 May, 2017 07:14
I wish him all the best for his future, it's always a shame when injury forces a premature retirement

steve1888 (IP Logged)
23 May, 2017 09:55
Shame he's had to retire , talented and versatile player when fit and great with supporters.

Good luck for the future.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
23 May, 2017 11:50
Sad to hear. Like some have said very promising early career which we won't see materialize. Very sorry if it's down to injury problems.
All the very best in whatever you decide to do Tom.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
23 May, 2017 12:19
I had a good chat to TC today, who was on great form, and have done an interview for the offy. It is on [www.newcastlefalcons.co.uk]

It goes without saying that everyone here wishes him all the best, and we thank him for everything he has done during his time with us.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
23 May, 2017 12:52
is the 7s on this year? Maybe a farewell guest appearance?

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
23 May, 2017 12:54
All the best Tom, thanks for your efforts over the years.

rubyrhone (IP Logged)
23 May, 2017 15:11
Really good interview on the offy - thanks Smithy - its interesting to know what Tom is moving on to do rather than him just disappearing into the ether.

Very best wishes for the future TC.

jarrowlad (IP Logged)
23 May, 2017 15:45
really sorry to hear that, he was always fully committed to the cause and good to chat with in either in west stand bar or when I bumped into him on the metro after last game of season one year.
top bloke
wish him all the best.
I am sure if he could be tempted there would be a long line of local clubs happy to have them involved in one capacity or other.

trummy200 (IP Logged)
23 May, 2017 17:10
A credit to himself and the Club

Osric (IP Logged)
23 May, 2017 17:15
All the very best Tom and thanks for the years of loyal service through thick, thin and even thinner. One chapter ends and all that

dick g (IP Logged)
23 May, 2017 18:35
Tom Cat, the most effectual
Tom Cat whose intellectual
Close friends get to call him TC
Always behaving with great dignity.

Tom Cat
The indisputable leader of the gang
He's the boss, he's the pip
Gave his best in the Championship
He's the most tip top
Tom Cat

Good luck TC

ninjafez (IP Logged)
24 May, 2017 08:36
Completly under the radar on the main rugby sites, such a shame I though Tom always played really well when we came up on away games and he was starting to give Falcons a really good attacking shape this year.

It alwyas reminds me that our rugby hero careers are always fleeting.. all the best for the guy in the future...

Ninjafez - supporting Sarries and cleaning their signs since 2006!

Getitright (IP Logged)
24 May, 2017 11:18
Falcons loss could be Durham Uni's gain! They are already a top notch BUCS team but I can't imagine TC avoiding the odd Wednesday game and social. It's all part of your degree course after all..!!

lizard118 (IP Logged)
25 May, 2017 09:46
Ninja, I think you might be mistaking Catterick for Hodgson or someone else, since the former hasn't played any games this year.
Getitright, you're right there regarding Durham university. Might even be tempted to watch BUCS games for a change.

BigVic (IP Logged)
26 May, 2017 20:08
I don't post very often, but Tom Catterick's retirement warrants a contribution.Great bloke, great player and a true Falcon through and through.I saw him in the 7s at Mowden Park. Absolute class. We shall miss him. Thankyou Tom!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net