rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 15th December v Dragons at Rodney Parade, 7.30pm

Saturday 23rd December v Harlequins at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 52-24 Bordeaux-Begles

Premiership ring fencing
Gosforth (IP Logged)
27 May, 2017 16:31
Hopefully Chiefs achievement today put the ring fencing debate to bed. Congrats to a great club

Re: Premiership ring fencing
dick g (IP Logged)
27 May, 2017 19:36
Ring fencing debate not yet ready for bed. See discussion elsewhere. But the Chiefs did a superb job. Chop, chop.......

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
28 May, 2017 07:37
Arguably.the Chiefs success reinforces the ring fencing debate - bringing a club in when they are stable and allowing them to then grow without fear of relegation.

If the premiership had been ringfenced at 14 teams which is the suggestion, the year before they were promoted, the Chiefs would have been in that number.

dick g (IP Logged)
28 May, 2017 08:39
Spot on Kwa.

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
28 May, 2017 09:22
Also a team that has won a championship twice through a playoff system

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
28 May, 2017 11:15
The Chiefs merely emphasise how much it is practically impossible these days to realistically creep into the Premiership & succeed without a lot of good luck. They were the last team to do it when the gulf between the leagues was not so great, and nobody else has managed it in all the many years since.

trummy200 (IP Logged)
28 May, 2017 11:58
How about - If a team finishes bottom not within 6 pts (an arbitrary figure)off second bottom then relegation could happen if the team top of the Championship would like promotion and meets the Premier ground criteria?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 28/05/2017 15:40 by trummy200.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
28 May, 2017 13:24
I found it ironic people wanting Exeter to win that don't believe in the play offs.

Personally I enjoy them and thought it was a fantastic end to a very good Premiership season.

Roll on September

Robs (IP Logged)
29 May, 2017 19:14
Let's not forget that one of the key reasons why there are playoffs at the top of the Premiership is to give those teams that lose players during the 6 nations a second chance at the title.
Were International weekends free from Prem fixtures I ,for one, would be firmly against the playoffs and in favour of the winners of a 9/10 month long league being undisputed champions

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
29 May, 2017 20:58
Clubs choose to pack their squads with internationals & they gamble that the benefits will outweigh the loss of those players for some league games.

I just can't see why the winners of the league, the team that comes top after a season-long slog, isn't rightfully declared to be the champion club. What happens after that is a champions cup situation, the top four clubs play each other, an entirely different competition in addition to the league. That is how I always view it anyway as it reflects what actually happens.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
29 May, 2017 22:10
But Saracens supplied a load of England players who weren't brought in as England players, they have developed into England players at Saracens. Agree however about teams flooding their squad with internationals brought in, they know the consequences.

I'm not a fan of the play offs although have been swayed slightly this season as the last three games have been sensational. My worry would be if it was top team are champions then the league would be flooded with average overseas players as teams wouldn't want to lose players during the 6N. The play offs gives clubs like Sarries a chance having supplied a load of players to England.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
01 June, 2017 09:15
Quote:
Monkey1
I just can't see why the winners of the league, the team that comes top after a season-long slog, isn't rightfully declared to be the champion club. What happens after that is a champions cup situation, the top four clubs play each other, an entirely different competition in addition to the league. That is how I always view it anyway as it reflects what actually happens.

Zurich, who were the Prem sponsors back in the day, insisted that the payoff winners be declared champions. This was after Tigers won the league, were declared champions and so put out a second team v Bristol(?) who had finished 8th (yes, there were 8 teams in the payoffs back then) and so lost at WR. Tigers had an European Cup final v Munster to win the following week. The previous season, Tigers had topped the league and won the payoffs and HC though.

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Prarie Dog (IP Logged)
03 June, 2017 23:10
I agree that next season's Premiership is going to be very competitive at the bottom third of the table. I was an advocate of yearly promotion/relegation but London Welsh and recently Bristol have proved that bluster and silly overblown comments from board and supporters do not make a Premiership quality team.
Ring fence the Prem now for five years and then re-assess the situation.
Bristol supporters will bleat but they seemed quite happy to ring fence themselves in the Premiership at the cost of other teams in the Championship as the season came to a close.
Ring fence it now. Just my opinion.

Just a farm team from Devon.
We know who we be!

Da' nzho!
Pawel Vygot.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
04 June, 2017 13:12
Let's not beat about the bush. The play offs were introduced entirely because Leicester were so far in front that they had pretty much won the traditional league by Christmas for several seasons in a row.

There is a lot of bleating about internationals, but they didn't effect Leicester. They still won.

There is the suggestion that foreign mediocre players would be brought in. Falcons tried that and it didn't work.

Secondly I would suggest that actually there was more emphasis on bringing through academy players in the old league structure than there is now. Can't honestly say why....

Do I prefer either? No. I thoroughly enjoy the play offs, but I never had an issue with the ladder situation either.

My thoughts on ring fencing are above and on other threads.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net