rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 21st October v Bordeaux-Begles at Stade Chaban-Delmas, 5.30pm (UK time)

Sunday 29th October v Leicester Tigers at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 32-27 Dragons

Worcester next season?
Monkey1 (IP Logged)
29 May, 2017 22:28
Thinking about how next season might pan out, the club that strikes me as an utter unknown is Worcester. Year after year they have been down at the bottom as relegation fodder, relying on other clubs to be worse than them rather than doing anything remarkable themselves, and we know a thing or two about that ourselves too.

I have absolutely no idea why, but I feel in my bones that Gary Gold might actually be shaking the club up a bit, and in a good way. Their squad is ridiculously big which is simply not healthy, having so many players around with no hope of getting any game time can only be a negative thing. Indications are that he is trimming it down to a more sensible size, and seeing what he can do with the players that are left before rushing out to get in yet more new players.

I had a read of the Wuss message board, and as you would expect the supporters see weaknesses where they would like to see the club sign some quality players, it's what supporters of all clubs do. GG doesn't seem to be doing much signing however, so maybe he suspects that the players that he already has can do better, and he is wisely waiting to see what they can achieve if managed more effectively, with an eye to signing some SH talent part way through the season based on what happens during the first part of the coming season?

They will certainly be one of the more interesting clubs to watch, at least I hope they will. The league is a much better spectacle if clubs like us, Sale & Wuss give the top half clubs some decent competition. It will make life hard for London Irish however if no club has a truly awful season. If the clubs who traditionally lurk at the bottom third of the table all up their game, and no other club mysteriously implodes, they will face an almighty uphill struggle to get back up to a Premiership standard.

It could in many ways be the most interesting season for a very long time.

Re: Worcester next season?
NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 08:52
It'll be interesting what happens next season. Based on end of season form and recruitment, I struggle to identify any side who might struggle to achieve their league standing.

trummy200 (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 09:05
Have to concur. Think the top four this year will be the top four next (in whatever order) but after that it looks a real lottery - With Worcester it will be interesting to see if GG continues his positive effect.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 09:32
Next seasons relegation candidates are going to be hard to pick
Wuss already have a core of good players to build around its whether Gary Gold can get them playing as a unit and I have every faith he can as he did whilst at KP. The have signed some big scrummagers this season and if they can keep the likes of Pennell, Teo and Hogaard fit then Wuss will be good with front foot ball
The league should prove very competitive next season depending on how Irish acclimatise to the premiership. Again they have a good core with international and premiership experience - Franks, Cowan, Marshall, McKibbin, Lewington it's about who they add and whether they gel

pa8 (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 10:34
I think Wuss have been dangerous with the ball in hand, where they've let themselves down has been their defence, or lack of it. If they get that sorted they'll have no problems next season.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 11:14
Next season, surely London Irish must be favourites to go down, not just down to squad, but also getting back up to premiership speed in what looks to be one of the strongest leagues for a while. Thereafter Worcester, Sale and Gloucester unless they put some investment into the team. There are no weak team at present. However , our squad is strong and with an experienced proven 10 and therefore a mid table finnish seems realistic again.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 12:22
Wuss have just announced the signing of Scotland international David Denton, an absolutely superb player.

It would be superb to see the traditionally lower table clubs kicking on & maybe upsetting a few of those who have tended to hog a comfort zone in the middle of the table. A new name or two in 11th & 12th slots would liven things up a bit.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 12:40
Denton was a player I would of liked to have seen at Falcons before he signed with Bath. smiling smiley

dick g (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 14:55
Quote:
Rafpilot2000
Next season, surely London Irish must be favourites to go down, not just down to squad, but also getting back up to premiership speed in what looks to be one of the strongest leagues for a while. Thereafter Worcester, Sale and Gloucester unless they put some investment into the team. There are no weak team at present. However , our squad is strong and with an experienced proven 10 and therefore a mid table finnish seems realistic again.

TRP has a story on Irish's owner making a very public appeal for investment in the club. Doesn't sound too promising for them.

30 May, 2017 18:10
Worcester are going to win the league, aren't they?

dick g (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 18:25
No

usa warrior (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 10:09
Quote:
pa8
I think Wuss have been dangerous with the ball in hand, where they've let themselves down has been their defence, or lack of it. If they get that sorted they'll have no problems next season.

Hi all, as above - quite!! We've recently brought in a new defense coach who had a hugely positive effect in the last few games and should have a great impact in this area next season.

Hopefully finally show ourselves to be more than relegation fodder - as you did this season. Good luck next year and see you in a few months!!

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 10:33
Denton is a cracking signing for Worcester, really impressed with some of their recruitment. It's going to be a very tight league next year with most teams able to beat one another on their day. Irish are looking the obvious candidates at this stage, their squad doesn't look any stronger than the one that went down whilst other AP teams seem to have moved forward. They need a few top class signings to get in the mix imo.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 19:20
Worcester have a history of signing apparently good players but with no resulting improvement. Logic therefore suggests that they must have some potentially good players lurking in their squad, so a bit of good management with a sparse smattering of new signings only where necessary should be enough to make quite a difference. I wasn't even aware of the defence coach, that can only make things better too.

I haven't been to Sixways for a few years now, so would really enjoy a trip there next season, hopefully to watch a decent game instead of the absolute unwatchable mess that has been games between us'n them for the past few years.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net