rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 15th December v Dragons at Rodney Parade, 7.30pm

Saturday 23rd December v Harlequins at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 52-24 Bordeaux-Begles

Argentina Summer Tour
Horus (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 08:58
Matches 10&17 June

Tour Squad

Forwards: Don Armand (Exeter), Will Collier (Harlequins), Ben Curry (Sale), Tom Curry (Sale), Charlie Ewels (Bath), Ellis Genge (Leicester), Dylan Hartley, (capt, Northampton), Nathan Hughes (Wasps), Nick Isiekwe (Saracens), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Matt Mullan (Wasps), Chris Robshaw (vice-capt, Harlequins), Nick Schonert (Worcester), Tommy Taylor (Wasps), Sam Underhill (Bath), Harry Williams (Exeter), Mark Wilson (Newcastle).

Backs:Mike Brown (vice-capt, Harlequins), Danny Care (vice-capt, Harlequins), Joe Cokanasiga (London Irish), Ollie Devoto (Exeter), Nathan Earle (Saracens), George Ford (vice-capt, Bath), Piers Francis (Northampton), Sam James (Sale), Alex Lozowski (Saracens), Harry Mallinder (Northampton), Jack Maunder (Exeter), Jonny May (Gloucester), Henry Slade (Exeter), Denny Solomona (Sale), Marland Yarde (Harlequins).

Re: Argentina Summer Tour
Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 09:46
Televised on the BBC

Running Rugby (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 18:53
I am actually looking forward to seeing this tour ahead of the Lions.

Will be interesting to see what the likes of Harry Mallinder, The Curry Twins, Mark Wilson, Sam Underhill, Ollie Devoto, Nathan Earle, Jack Maunder and Alex Lozowski can do on the international stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/05/2017 18:54 by Running Rugby.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 22:04
Looking forward to this some good young players to look out for. smiling smiley

lizard118 (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 07:57
Looking forward to the tests against the pumas, but more so The Lions which is just a unique and special band of individuals.
And the fact they are playing the All Blacks, the number one ranked team gives the games added significance. The All Blacks won't buckle under pressure the way Australia did in the last tour.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 19:01
I think Sam James is worth a watch aswell. Big strong, great skills and showed good physicality v the baa bas. Have we finally found a proper 12!

Running Rugby (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 19:20
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
I think Sam James is worth a watch aswell. Big strong, great skills and showed good physicality v the baa bas. Have we finally found a proper 12!

Harry Mallinder is a better player in my opinion, a really exciting prospect who can play at ten and twelve, has an excellent kicking game, is solid off the tee, and has all the play making skills to make it at the top level in my opinion. Would love to see him outside of George Ford in the opening test.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/05/2017 19:22 by Running Rugby.

31 May, 2017 19:26
I keep hearing great things about Mallinder but (whilst admittedly not watching loads of his gsmes) I've never seen him play a scintillating game where I've thought wow he's special like everyone is saying.

I hope he is , as we need a 12 despite Farrell being a very good stand in 12.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 31/05/2017 19:26 by GeordieFalcon.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 21:59
Mallinder has certainly got the physicality at 6'5" 17 stone a solid kicker as well I do feel he has a future for England. smiling smiley

mannin (IP Logged)
01 June, 2017 08:22
Slade's the one with the X factor for me. I just hope he gets in soon and doesn't miss his chance.

Pool_falcon (IP Logged)
01 June, 2017 09:46
Mallinder's main issue is his defence. For a big lad, he doesn't transfer this into his tackling and slips off way too many. He's still a young lad though and a lot can change. Let's hope he turns out more Jauzion than Twelvetrees...

DB23 (IP Logged)
01 June, 2017 11:28
I think Mallinder is overrated and will get exposed at senior international level.

For his size, his defence is powderpuff and reminiscent of Cipriani.

I would rather have Hodgson in my team than Mallinder.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
01 June, 2017 22:17
I like the look of Sam James too GF, a very underrated player and imo way better than Mallinder, except he plays for Sale.
Very soft hands and a good playmaker. Sale have a few young Englishmen in their stables at the minute.

08 June, 2017 08:21
Well looks like injuries to Robshaw, Underhill and Ben Curry could mean a tour start for our very own Mark Wilson.

They have all sat out training and are doubts for the 1st game...possibly the tour.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 19:14
Mark Wilson starts at 6 for England. i'm thrilled for him and the Falcons.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 19:42
Yep first cap for him. Hopefully of many. Looks a good side that one. Should be a decent game.

08 June, 2017 19:45
And we all know Mark will put in the usual awesome consistent performance!

As to the team...I like it.

oldlad (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 19:46
Fantastic for him, Newcastle and Kendal. All that hard work paid off without switching clubs to gain recognition.

DB23 (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 20:24
Well deserved recognition for his tireless performances for the Falcons.

Mark can be very proud of himself and he will not let his country down. Whether he gets one cap or many more, he is an England international.

Looking forward to watching the game (BBC2 8pm)

Osric (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 20:30
Brilliant news. Well done Mark. Looking forward to the game (a pick me up after the Lions?)

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 20:36
Great news & well deserved
Get out there Mark and do your stuff!

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 20:38
And of course he will have his name added to the clubhouse honours board as well

lizard118 (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 20:48
Excellent news! And like some have said very well deserved. Well done Mark.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 20:58
Really excited about this game.....looking forward to seeing Genge and Harry Williams in an England shirt, great to have Slade back and fantastic to see an 18 year old playing international rugby. Most of all really pleased for Mark Wilson, fantastic for him, the club and us supporters.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
08 June, 2017 21:46
Looking forward to watching this game, will be interesting because Argentina aren't a bad side either. smiling smiley

pa8 (IP Logged)
09 June, 2017 06:28
Good to see Mark in the team. Jones said 'He's a good tough player, quite similar to Robshaw'. 'He's a hard worker and a very tough player. He has impressed and really deserves his opportunity'. Really looking forward to watching this one, not least because it's not on Sky so no Stuart Barnes.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
09 June, 2017 06:44
Chuffed for the guy - looks a handy team too

davietoon (IP Logged)
09 June, 2017 07:19
Pa8 agree about Stuart Barnes but they 've got Eddie Butler instead. Looks like I 'll have to adopt my Sky watching regime and mute the sound when the commentary starts.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
09 June, 2017 09:50
Great news for Mark and for the Falcons. Working in the bar on Saturday night but since the game's on BBC I'll try to put it on the TV and sneak-watch it.

pa8 (IP Logged)
09 June, 2017 10:10
Quote:
davietoon
Pa8 agree about Stuart Barnes but they 've got Eddie Butler instead. Looks like I 'll have to adopt my Sky watching regime and mute the sound when the commentary starts.

Oh buŁ&@r I forgot about him.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
09 June, 2017 10:42
Nowt wrong with Eddie Butler. Everyone to their own I suppose, but anything has to be better that Jonathan Whining know-all detestable never shuts up Davies.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
09 June, 2017 11:01
My missus is not a huge rugby fun but she always pays attention when Eddie Butler is on the Tele. And like Monkey says each to their own. I do like his voice when he's doing some of verses.

pa8 (IP Logged)
09 June, 2017 11:39
There's no Brian Moore to make it entertaining either, instead we have Andy Robinson.

trummy200 (IP Logged)
09 June, 2017 16:14
+as many as I am allowed

The above should have been a reply to Monkey's post

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2017 21:36 by trummy200.

pityacker (IP Logged)
09 June, 2017 16:44
Mark probably starting due to Robshaw being injured but a great opportunity for him. A similar all round all action player to Robshaw and hope he shows England management what a top player he is , best of luck Mark.

DB23 (IP Logged)
10 June, 2017 20:54
What a game of rugby. Unbelievable stuff from both sides.

Most enjoyable game I have seen for a long time.

Mark Wilson had an excellent game too

Wow.

One negative comment; Hartley and Brown are done as England players

17Roundabouts (IP Logged)
10 June, 2017 20:59
Great game by Mark with Ford outstanding..Amazing game had me on the edge of my seat throughout .

10 June, 2017 21:46
Completely agree pityacker. Hartley and brown won't be in the squad come the November internationals both poor today.

Brown failed every high kick, ran up blind alleys and was just generally poor. Hartley, well he's just got nothing to offer over George now...and even LCD and Taylor.

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
10 June, 2017 22:22
Pretty awesome from Mark like! Great jackals! And that Tom Curry and his brother are special talents like! I think we could well see the next McCaw in an England Shirt. Not the biggest lad but he just keeps getting up, keeps working and imposes himself so well on attack and defence.

Fantastic by everyone in the back row. It had a great balance. Probably George Fords best game in an England shirt.

Hell of a game.

Robs (IP Logged)
10 June, 2017 23:11
So proud of Mark
Great recognition from the commentators
If that's England's 3rd XV we've got a lot to look forward to

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
11 June, 2017 13:23
Considering that a lot of the team and all of the bench had little or no international experience that was a great performance against a very strong Argentinian side on their home turf. I am no fan of Hartley but he will have been key to making the whole show work, and Brown too will have held it together. Their experience will have been crucial.

Good to hear the commentators picking out Mark for commendation, he had a good day out.

exhooker (IP Logged)
15 June, 2017 20:38
So you play superbly for 80mins and get moved to the bench!!

Robs (IP Logged)
15 June, 2017 23:06
Quote:
exhooker
So you play superbly for 80mins and get moved to the bench!!

I guess it's about Eddie having a look at what's coming through rather than Mark being dropped. I appreciate that Robshaw is not a young 'un "coming through" but his selection is down to :
1) a recognition that he's still in the frame
2) the need to keep a mix of experience and youth

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
16 June, 2017 06:28
Quote:
Robs
I guess it's about Eddie having a look at what's coming through rather than Mark being dropped....

That's not how it works Rob. Apparently all rugby coaches & directors of rugby are a bunch of petulant teenage-type prima donnas who have their favourites and snub other players. They never see how good other players are and live their lives in a permanent hissy fit. If they don't like a particular player such as Mark, and it will be for some unbelievably trivial personal trait such as the way he says good morning, he will be dropped to the bench, or to really insult him he will be dropped from the team altogether. It is nothing to do with rugby, just the mad whirlpool of emotions & out of control hormones that makes him either put players on a pedestal. or publicly humiliate them. There is no middle ground, he is either in love with players or despises them.

That apparently is how rugby selection works.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
16 June, 2017 07:14
I did think he might have started with Mark and then brought Robshaw on in the second half if an experienced player was needed, but I'd be surprised if he didn't get on at some point.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
16 June, 2017 07:40
Chris Robshaw has been one of England's best performers over the last two seasons and proved himself a real team man in the aftermath of Lancaster's chaotic reign.

Mark's made the breakthrough, taken his opportunity and my guess is that apart from enjoying it, he will be gaining a shed load of experience.

With Robshaw and Wilson in the squad England have the blind side sorted for next season and maybe through to the World cup

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
16 June, 2017 15:34
It's not a bad sign for Mark. In essence while he might sit behind Robshaw and Haskell at 6, he has done a good shift in making Jones see as his 3rd choice. Bearing in mind the competition at 6 & 8 for English players at the moment that is a pretty good result.

He's definitely made his way strongly up the pecking order.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net