rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 15th December v Dragons at Rodney Parade, 7.30pm

Saturday 23rd December v Harlequins at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 52-24 Bordeaux-Begles

Salary Cap
Robs (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 09:23
I bought a Rugby Paper at the weekend then gave it away to a friend.
inside was a table featuring the Turnovers and Wage bills of the Prem Clubs. I believe we had the second lowest wage bill and Wasps were way out in front with a bill of 16.9or 17.9m (I think)
Did anyone else read this and ,more to the point, what is the level of the salary cap?

Re: Salary Cap
pa8 (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 09:26
I think that for the season just ended it was 6.5m and will go up to 7m from next season.

Robs (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 13:22
Thanks-I thought so
SoI wonder how a published wage bill of c17m manages to stay within a 6.5m salary cap?
(I appreciate that a "marquee" player& various others are outside the cap)
Answers on the back of a 20 note to me!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/05/2017 14:03 by Robs.

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 14:11
I'm sure that wage bill is for the whole of wasps rugby, including all ground staff which they didn't have at their previous home which is probably why it jumped from 5mil to 17mil

Osric (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 16:23
It's widely accepted that some clubs cheat/ bend the rules/ get round the cap. Nobody seems to care other than the odd decent journalist and fans of clubs who can't afford to do the above. A bit like doping in road cycling - the higher ups don't want to 'damage' the sport so won't do anything about it. Let's face it - we've had two excellent PR semi finals followed by a cracking final. The product is great - who cares what lurks underneath? Leave the stones unturned, seems to be the official attitude.

Osric (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 16:29
An older article from the pitbull

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

One argument seems to be that the cap is illegal and unenforceable. Kind of begs the question ....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/05/2017 16:36 by Osric.

Osric (IP Logged)
30 May, 2017 16:32
Confirmation of the 7million 'cap'.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Some clubs should hire Mrs May who also has difficulty distinguishing a 'cap' from a 'floor'. They could all be confused together.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/05/2017 16:33 by Osric.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 06:53
The salary cap doesn't exist. It is a mythical beast that has as much substance as the adventures of Hercules....

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 07:03
I get the impression now everyone turns a blind eye

trummy200 (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 07:45
What is it there for? If it is deemed to be there to benefit the structure of the game in this country it should have/be enforced otherwise get rid of it and end the hypocrisy.

Robs (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 07:51
Absolutely

lizard118 (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 08:31
Be careful what you wish for.

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 09:30
are all the other clubs wages quoted in TRP? Just wonder how wasps stack up, like I said I would assume the 17mil is in relation to all who are employed by wasps rugby, this would now include ground staff which is a wage they wouldn't have had to pay at their previous ground, otherwise they would need a squad of 42.5 kurtley brakes to fill that 17mil

Getitright (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 15:06
TRP Wage Bills all staff

Wasps 17.4m (turnover 30.9m)
H'quins 11.6m
Leicester 11.1m
Bath 10.8m
Exeter 8.6m
Saints 9.6m
Sarries 10.2m
Glos 9.4m
Worcs 9.6m
Falcons 6.9m
Irish 7.6m
Sale 5.0m (turnover 7.0m)

Robs (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 15:59
I guess the RP wage list is meaningless as each team can have 2 marquee players outside the salary cap (& inside the wage bill)
Beale & A N Other could be on 5m each and everybody else including ground staff making up the remaining 7.4!!

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
31 May, 2017 18:23
The Wasps figures are obviously away with the pixies. That has to include all of the operations out of the Ricoh, not just rugby, to produce that sort of turnover. That suggests that the wages bill is totally meaningless without knowing how much relates to the rugby.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
01 June, 2017 07:02
Quote:
trummy200
What is it there for? If it is deemed to be there to benefit the structure of the game in this country it should have/be enforced otherwise get rid of it and end the hypocrisy.

Someone on here the other year compared the salary cap to the motorway speed limit, and said that the speed limit isn't 70 to keep people at 70, but to keep most people under 85. The salary cap is probably there just to stop the richer clubs completely running away with everything, but in reality it is probably being broken and nobody within the game (including the more honest clubs) has the courage to do anything about it.

Quin Kong (IP Logged)
01 June, 2017 07:32
Wasps 17.4m (turnover 30.9m)
H'quins 11.6m
Leicester 11.1m

Bath 10.8m
Exeter 8.6m
Saints 9.6m

Sarries 10.2m
Glos 9.4m
Worcs 9.6m
Falcons 6.9m
Irish 7.6m
Sale 5.0m (turnover 7.0m)

The ones in bold own their own grounds so you would expect salaries to be higher, especially the bigger the ground the higher the salaries paid but also the higher the turnover. Red means artificial pitch maybe less groundstaff needed for upkeep?

QUIN KONG

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/06/2017 08:46 by Quin Kong.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
01 June, 2017 08:14
Also worth bearing in mind that 'Newcastle Rugby Limited' also encompasses Newcastle Thunder rugby league club.

Yorkie (IP Logged)
01 June, 2017 15:47
The official line from the Prem site.

If you are feeling particularly anal about the Noose then there is a link towards the bottom of the linked article which lets you see the 56 page document which explains it all!!

For the season just gone, you could have two big tents and three season long loan players outside of the Noose and the Noose was 6m plus upto 500k "home grown player" credits plus injury dispensation upto 400k plus 80k per EPS player you have plus 5% overspend.

So not a simple figure to calculate!!! (And I'm sure I've missed something above!)

http://www.jakehowlett.com/tuckshop/wrappers/chocolate/plain/yorkie-nutter.jpg

Robs (IP Logged)
01 June, 2017 20:36
Quote:
markismith50
Also worth bearing in mind that 'Newcastle Rugby Limited' also encompasses Newcastle Thunder rugby league club.

What are you suggesting Mark?
That the 6.9m wage bill and/or the Turnover includes Thunder?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
01 June, 2017 21:03
Robs, our annual accounts are for 'Newcastle Rugby Ltd' which includes both clubs.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net