rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 21st October v Bordeaux-Begles at Stade Chaban-Delmas, 5.30pm (UK time)

Sunday 29th October v Leicester Tigers at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 32-27 Dragons

England v Argentina Underhill v Welch
upwardonward (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 21:06
Watched the first half of this game and IMO Underhill has been very poor at 7.
Missed tackles,and his scrummage and turnover work is weak .
Why is Will Welch not in this so called second string side?
Jones goes for Curry at 18,then Underhill at 20,all good for the future but come on Eddie lets go for the now!
IMO We have a 7 at Falcons,an outstanding ,experienced and committed allround better player than the pair of them.
JUST like our 6 Mark Wilson he deserves his opportunity.

Re: England v Argentina Underhill v Welch
falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 21:18
Aye underhill looks no where near curry and Wilson let alone Welch...

He isn't a natural jackler, seen him miss a 1 v 1 must vs Touqlet and he offers nothing spectacular ball in hand/isn't very quick...

Don't see what the fuss is about.

Some good tackles mind

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 21:40
And just like that Mark knocks one on...damn

exhooker (IP Logged)
17 June, 2017 23:16
But a splendid piece of defending on the try line

pa8 (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 01:51
Very unimpressed by Underhill's performance. Not in the same class as that by either Mark Wilson or Curry last week. I suppose with moving to the premiership he'll either prove himself or fall flat this season.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 07:30
I think Underhill was very much being given a full match trial. I think the same applies to many of the newer players we have seen.

I think Eddie will be very happy. Both Curry and Wilson have shown what the can offer. Not all will make the grade, some will fall short, and international rugby tends to indicate those who can rise to the occasion and those who fall apart.

Sadly for Underhill you have to take those chances, he may get one more or he may not. He might just end up as a Kvesic type player - often lauded on the media but never again selected.

telfs123 (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 09:56
Fissler now claiming Saints and Tigers have cast "admiring glances" at Wilson, who has only 1 year left on his contract.
Which is interesting, as he signed a 4 year deal last year and last week said he's never really considered playing anywhere else.
Must be a slow news week for Fissler...

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 11:17
After another impressive performance, this time as a "finisher" I'll be gobsmacked if Mark isn't in Eddie's next England Elite Squad.
He has also established that playing for the Falcons is no impediment to playing for England. No need for anybody to move.

Wherever he is, I hope Kieron Brookes is enjoying his holidays

captainhaircut (IP Logged)
18 June, 2017 12:46
Will Welch is 7 years older than Underhill and at his peak now. He's also nowhere near good enough- I wouldn't even have him in our first 15.

Mark Wilson would be better served by us playing him at 7 week in, week out. He could be first choice in the autumn if that was the case.

mannin (IP Logged)
19 June, 2017 08:57
Thats's very harsh on Welch who is a superb player and Falcons through and through.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
19 June, 2017 09:12
I have always been 50/50 about Welch if I am been honest, last season though he was excellent and I was really impressed by him like everybody else, but I still wouldn't have him in the England team though. smiling smiley

mannin (IP Logged)
19 June, 2017 10:34
I don't think he's in England contention as he's another 6 and a half. He's not a big enough carrier to be a 6 yet not quick enough/gets enough turnovers to be a 7.

He is however a very, very good Premiership player in the Robshaw mould who plays week in, week out, gets through huge amounts of unseen work and is a talisman for the team. He is also only interested in being a Falcon (despite numerous offers in the past) and should be celebrated for the trooper he is.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
19 June, 2017 12:55
I like Welch, good club man but he is currently not good enough to play for England.

alnwickfalcon (IP Logged)
19 June, 2017 14:33
I agree with a lot of the sentiments already stated. Welsh is a good workhorse for the club but parts of his game can be questioned. I suppose in most supporters eyes he's a marmite character, you either love him or hate him.

For me he does a lot of unseen work, in and around the breakdown. I thibk he's an above average player in the AP but not outstanding and is nowhere near the England set up and rightfully so.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
19 June, 2017 15:18
To be fair there was some on here who said the same about Wilson and there's not a massive amount between the two and they're our two most reliable performers week in week out and I'd be gutted if either left.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
26 June, 2017 12:45
I don't think Underhill shone on the tour.

The big two movers were Mark Wilson and Curry who looked a genuine top class prospect. And he'll be brought on nicely by Diamond.

As to Welch...yes he divides opinions. He's not the best carrier, or attacking threat. He's a damn hard worker and tackles anything that moves, the guy is bravery in a nutshell.

In fact he very much reminds me of another player in that stamp..Lewis Moody. You need players like them whos bravery is often verging on wreckless. Him, Moody, Jaques Burger at Saracens.

I just wish he carried abit more and a bit better. And Calum Chick will be a season more experienced and more prominent this season aswell!

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
26 June, 2017 16:10
Don't get me wrong - Will Welch has been a fantastic servant to the club.

However, I think it negates where Wilson is at to compare them in respect of England. Wilson made a step up last season and clearly again this season. I suspect he also made another step up on tour too. I don't think Welch has made as many steps.

I think Wilson has been held back by his versatility as he starts a number of games in varied shirt numbers. It didn't help Austin Healey, Matthew Tait, Ben Foden or Mike Catt. However a more settled period in the shirt he fills best could have him earning more caps at 6.

I think he has certainly benefited from having two former England back rowers as coaches (though I believe Wells has about as many caps as Wilson now!).

Good luck to them both. I hope Will Welch can be a late developer and make that same jump.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
26 June, 2017 16:16
I don't think Welch will ever make that jump KWA...

When you consider the kids fighting for that spot.

Underhill
The Currys
Kvesic has moved to Exeter which should revitalise him...and Baxter will definitely improve him!

Plus Haskell still going, Mark Wilson, and if Jones decides to continue with big lads at 7 (like Haskell) he was looking at players like Sam Jones at 7 before his injury.

Huge ask for Welch and I don't think it will happen.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net