rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 15th December v Dragons at Rodney Parade, 7.30pm

Saturday 23rd December v Harlequins at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 52-24 Bordeaux-Begles

Mini Rugby
Yorksfalcon (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 19:01
Hi guys, looking for a mini rugby recommendation. My god son is turning 5 soon and we are looking to get him started playing some mini rugby. Will most likely be in it for the long hall so was wondering if you guys could offer some suggestions. I'm towards the coast so Percy park is convenient but he lives near town so traveling not too much of a problem.
Thanks in advance.

Re: Mini Rugby
Yorksfalcon (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 19:04
Looking for a proper club, also his dad wants him playing contact as early as possible as he's a big lump, ( looks about 8) although I'm not sure we get much option in that regard these days??

trummy200 (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 19:49
Can only relate our experience. Our lad was not very dynamic and hated football. I took him almost in desperation when he was about 8 down to our local club a couple of Sundays so he could get a grasp of what it was all about, and for us to evaluate the structure of the Club - Highly recommended! It was not/is a 'fashionable' club but the mini head coach was brilliant, full of enthusiasm and well organised. The lad went through the different years before heading for Uni. From someone who was, to be frank useless (he was a bit of a lump), he blossomed to represent the County in his final few years.- Plus we had a great time Sunday mornings travelling around the county watching the kids and having a few beers, great days!Good luck

digitalsys (IP Logged)
21 June, 2017 20:09
Ok personal experience only

I played for p park at juniors level and enquired at the time to get my son into the minis at age 5 but didn't get any reaponse from the club.

W Bay Rockliffe had an open day at his school's summer fet, so as he had no interest in football it worked out really well. In the end I joined as a coach and it is a huge family based environment. If you expect perfection etc then there are better clubs but our age group has had 40-50 kids since u5s which is pretty good. It will diminish over the years but I think we have one of the biggest juniors numbers around. Coaches are all good but not pros.... that comes later in life.

London_Falcon (IP Logged)
22 June, 2017 09:16
Just to pick up on one thing:-
"also his dad wants him playing contact as early as possible as he's a big lump"

It just doesn't work like that any more, there is a strict pathway from tag to contact on a continuum. I'd suggest having a quick look here:-

RFU Age Grade Rules

and there is a good summary here:-
Summary

I'm about to start my 11th season as a minis/juniors coach and manager. Some unbelievers will tell you that it has all gone soft and that kids should be playing 15 a side full contact from the age of 7 (or whatever). They are of course entitled to their view but for me, the current pathway makes a huge amount of sense. Happy to talk about mini and junior rugby all day, so post up any questions....

23 June, 2017 18:43
some advice is do your research if you can some clubs start with 30/40 players which goes down over the years till sometimes when it comes to u-15 or 16s they struggle to get a team out! Other clubs start with smaller numbers but numbers grow and they almost put 2 teams out at these age groups.

most be something in that some clubs retain players others dont also on the contact point the falcons dpp are much more skills based now even up to u-16 size is not everything ..skills first

just my tuppenceworth

steve1888 (IP Logged)
24 June, 2017 06:25
At 5 I'd maybe suggest going to Rugbytots at Tynemouth then go to a club after, they can't play in matches until 6 year old rather than school year which I've never understood.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
26 June, 2017 11:05
Rugbytots is the best way in at age 5. My son started at age 3 & loves it. They make it fun & teach the absolute basics first in a way that a 5yr old will understand & enjoy. No matter how big a lump he might be he is still a 5yr old, and you really do need people who have been RFU trained to teach kids of that age, it isn't easy.

Find your nearest classes using the Rugbytots Class Finder & take him along. Some are better than others so if the kids don't look like they are enjoying themselves try another. If they don't enjoy it then they won't learn and you will be wasting your time. If they seem happy then chuck him in there & enjoy the ride.

Barrington (IP Logged)
26 June, 2017 14:39
There are loads of good clubs in that area with mini sections. As London Falcon has pointed out, contact simply isn't an option at that age.

My boy started when he was 5 - I started coaching then too. At my club, Gateshead, we have kids from 5 years old and upwards. It's all about having fun playing rugby and building up the skills needed.

I could be wrong but I think anyone coaching mini and junior rugby needs to be CRB checked and have completed a couple of RFU courses (rugby ready and the Scrum factory). At my club we're also Level 1 RFU coaches at minis level. Probably worth checking that out if you're looking for a club.

They might not be able to play in matches until they are in the under 7 age group but it's all non competitive for a good few years yet and won't hold him back. Try some clubs out and see what you think. They can't do any training until September anyway (RFU regulations).

trummy200 (IP Logged)
26 June, 2017 19:43
One thought -If any child from his school/playgroup whom he gets on with attends a club it might be worth checking that one out. The fact that he knows someone there could be good encouragement.

citizen-slacker (IP Logged)
28 June, 2017 20:51
Just to add to what Barrington said, I took my 5 year old along to Gateshead after falling out of love with RugbyTots (coach, not the format/ideology). Our under 6s get basic skills taught, but the focus is on getting the kids running around and enjoying themselves. More fun than focusing on gameplay.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net