rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 21st October v Bordeaux-Begles at Stade Chaban-Delmas, 5.30pm (UK time)

Sunday 29th October v Leicester Tigers at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 32-27 Dragons

Scrum change
dick g (IP Logged)
25 June, 2017 12:58
The recent Under 20s World Cup trialled a new law on the scrum. Instead of the scrum-half being obliged to put the ball in on a line between the feet of the two front rows, he has to ensure that his left shoulder is aligned with the line while still putting the ball in straight.

This gives the putting-in side the advantage it has earned because of an opposition offence and is better than the current practise of letting the SH put the ball into the second row. What do you think?

And I have a much more radical proposal based on a suggestion I found in a rugby league forum, of all places.

Let the ball be put into the scrum by one of the touch judges. This should guarantee a straighter put-in. And if the law about alignment is as above, the non-offending pack will still have an advantage. Neither side could be certain about the moment of insertion, requiring the hooker and props to be alert and ready to react. Hookers would once again have to live up to the name of their position.

I think this could result in quicker and more productive scrums without reducing the comptitive element which makes a union scrum so much more interesting than the league version which, in any case, I think will be dispensed with within the next couple of years as League seeks to become even faster.

Re: Scrum change
bulmer22 (IP Logged)
25 June, 2017 13:14
Where does the touch judge stick his flag while putting the ball into the scrum?? I can think of a few places.

davietoon (IP Logged)
25 June, 2017 17:58
Scrum advice from Rugby league. LMFAO

dick g (IP Logged)
25 June, 2017 19:29
Quote:
davietoon
Scrum advice from Rugby league. LMFAO

I will pick up ideas from any source. Oh, and as an older Falconista, I am not fluent in Textspeak. What does LMFAO mean?.

bulmer22 (IP Logged)
25 June, 2017 19:56
It is in the same area where, I was thinking, the touch judge might put his flag while putting the ball in.

aidanb (IP Logged)
25 June, 2017 23:36
LMAO
Laughing
My
@#$%&
Off

You can probably guess the F

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
26 June, 2017 07:19
Quote:
dick g

This gives the putting-in side the advantage it has earned because of an opposition offence and is better than the current practise of letting the SH put the ball into the second row. What do you think?

I think the referees will make a token effort of noticing where the scrummie lobs the ball for a few weeks then back to business as normal, it gets launched into the second row again as it has done for years despite various edicts from above.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
26 June, 2017 07:54
"I think the referees will make a token effort of noticing where the scrummie lobs the ball for a few weeks then back to business as normal, it gets launched into the second row again as it has done for years despite various edicts from above." Exactly and yet they're supposed to be so much better than refs of old

dick g (IP Logged)
26 June, 2017 08:48
Quote:
aidanb
LMAO
Laughing
My
@#$%&
Off

You can probably guess the F

ZPQW? HSFOPD. FJKMBPTWQGCVXZ. MNLLLLLIIIY. YYYB. BBKFDS. XARYU. MUTY. YRWT!

Leipziger (IP Logged)
26 June, 2017 09:35
Quote:
Monkey1
I think the referees will make a token effort of noticing where the scrummie lobs the ball for a few weeks then back to business as normal, it gets launched into the second row again as it has done for years despite various edicts from above.

Yep, the same happened a couple of years ago, it lasted about 20 minutes in the first game of the season.

For all the changes to the scrum laws in recent years, the only one that seems to have made any difference is binding before engaging, which has probably led to fewer collapses.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net