rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 24th November v Gloucester at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Friday 1st December v Northampton Saints at Franklin's Gardens, 7.45pm

Last result: Wasps 40-10 Newcastle Falcons

Pre season games
pityacker (IP Logged)
04 July, 2017 11:37
I see we have a double header home fixture against Doncaster and Nottingham and Rotherham at home the week after with the away fixture not announced yet. Disappointing that we are once again not getting top class opposition .

Re: Pre season games
04 July, 2017 12:14
Agreed, one of them should be against Leeds, Glasgow or Edinburgh. That said the friendly up at Murrayfield last year wasn't announced until the back end of July so here's hoping.

alas (IP Logged)
04 July, 2017 16:12
I suppose season ticket holders are getting 3 games compared to 1 last season (though no sevens), but it is boring playing the same second tier opposition year after year.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
04 July, 2017 18:51
At the Supp Club meeting last week Mick Hogan explained that it is a real struggle to get Premiership clubs or even Glasgow to travel this far just for pre-season games. Most clubs tend to make them local derbies, but we don't exactly have a shed load of local teams to choose from. If we want games against such clubs then we have to do the travelling.

It certainly isn't for the want of a bit of effort, they do try but it is hard going.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
04 July, 2017 20:08
I would have though it's would be good to have decent opposition in one game before the season even if we have to travel. It's not as though a game in the US is out of the question.

That said we had a similar set of warm ups last year and you can't fault the outcome, so perhaps it's actually the right way to go.

exhooker (IP Logged)
04 July, 2017 21:53
Seems OK to me. All we really want is reasonable opposition, a chance to try out new combinations and plays and give the squad a decent run.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
05 July, 2017 07:22
"I would have though it's would be good to have decent opposition in one game before the season even if we have to travel."

We have an away game against a Pro 12 side on the last weekend in August, which we will announce once the host club have decided on the venue and kick-off time.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
05 July, 2017 11:00
Quote:
markismith50

We have an away game against a Pro 12 side on the last weekend in August...

That means Edinburgh & a cracking away trip.

pityacker (IP Logged)
05 July, 2017 12:16
I enjoyed our trips to the borders to play Edinburgh but indeed if it is Edinburgh again they may be deciding on Murrayfield or their new smaller venue.

telfs123 (IP Logged)
05 July, 2017 12:30
Quote:
markismith50
"I would have though it's would be good to have decent opposition in one game before the season even if we have to travel."
We have an away game against a Pro 12 side on the last weekend in August, which we will announce once the host club have decided on the venue and kick-off time.

South Africa then?

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
05 July, 2017 13:34
Could be - after all they are thinking of playing a few Pro 12 games at 'home' in the Allianz!

That would be a pretty cool pre season game.

Interesting to see if the Saffer side get access to the European tournaments after the first season. Could mean that we get to play them in the near future if so. Make a good variation for an away trip, though I guess the travelling might not be ideal for the team. Same argument as for the Cheesy game I guess.

alas (IP Logged)
05 July, 2017 17:35
The Saffers don't need a preseason. They'll be carrying straight on. Edinburgh in the Borders would be a good day out.

Osric (IP Logged)
05 July, 2017 21:26
Zebre? Taxi back after a few beers?(Sm63)

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
06 July, 2017 05:37
Really? Neither Saffer side expected to move, will play a game after the 14th July based on their league position. You don't think they would want a game in nearly 2 months before the season starts? Seems unlikely, as you can easily lose match fitness in that time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2017 05:38 by Kwa444.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
06 July, 2017 05:55
OK guys, I can clarify we are not playing a South African team.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
06 July, 2017 06:09
All Blacks?

Running Rugby (IP Logged)
10 July, 2017 15:21
When do the players come back in for pre season training?

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
10 July, 2017 16:01
Last week I think?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
11 July, 2017 12:12
The lads started on June 12, most new signings July 1.

London_Falcon (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 14:43
Final pre season is away at Doncaster on Sat 26th August.Guessing that the PRO12 team let us down?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 17/07/2017 15:18 by London_Falcon.

alas (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 15:04
'The Falcons will also have an away fixture against a top-flight club on Friday August 25. Details of this game will be announced once the host club have confirmed the venue, kick-off time and ticket arrangements.' Donny away looks to be an additional game for the fringe players.

London_Falcon (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 15:19
Sorry, you're right, I read the headline on Facebook but hadn't clicked on the link.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
17 July, 2017 15:45
The Pro 12 game is still on. We've had the venue and KO time through from them today but are just waiting for them to give the green light in terms of us announcing it. Hopefully not too far away, but it's happening.

Cheers
Smithy

20 July, 2017 10:05
I noticed Sale are playing Edinburgh on August 18th (That's a Friday night) at somewhere called Meggetland which is a leisure complex about 2 miles away from Murrayfield. Looks like a nice little stadium perfect for a pre-season game. It's a bit on the outskirts of the city but it's right next door to Slateford Railway station so a local train should get you there without much hassle.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 12:14
Apologies for keeping you all waiting on this. We do know the venue and KO time for the pre-season game against the Pro 12 side, but we have to wait for them to announce it before we can say as they're still finalising some of the contractual formalities with the venue.

I'm led to believe by the opposition club that we may announce early next week, so watch this space. But it's not Meggetland.

Cheers
Smithy

Too far away (IP Logged)
20 July, 2017 22:45
Looking forward to them especially the double header on the 12th, but a little sorry there is no trip Darlington this year.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
21 July, 2017 05:23
From a selfish point of view hope it's Glasgow in Kilmarnock!

dick g (IP Logged)
21 July, 2017 13:09
Unique trebler on Aug 12. Falcons games followed by Thunder promotion play-off match. All on same ticket Smithy?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
21 July, 2017 13:48
Yep, all on same ticket. Free for ST holders (of Thunder or Falcons), for non ST holders it's 10 adults and 5 juniors.

Crucially, ST holders need to actively tell us they are attending so we can allocate them a seat (only East and West open). You can do this via 0871 226 6060, fans@newcastle-falcons.co.uk or at KP in person. If in doubt please contact the ticket office.

silicaballerina (IP Logged)
21 July, 2017 14:56
Exiled
I doubt it!
(more doubt the Glasgow game - than at Killie (Sm6))

"Glasgow Warriors will play Northampton Saints in a pre-season fixture in Stirling on Saturday 19 August (kick-off 2pm)."

21 July, 2017 15:29
Quote:
silicaballerina
Exiled
I doubt it!
(more doubt the Glasgow game - than at Killie (Sm6))

"Glasgow Warriors will play Northampton Saints in a pre-season fixture in Stirling on Saturday 19 August (kick-off 2pm)."

Pah, mega disappointment!

alas (IP Logged)
26 July, 2017 17:28
So Edinburgh in the Borders it is. Melrose is a beautiful ground. [www.newcastlefalcons.co.uk]

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
26 July, 2017 18:01
That is a fantastic evening out, so feeling a bit grumpy as I will be away. For anybody who can make it you will have a cracking night out.

Unfortunately the 6pm kick off makes it hard for a lot of the regular travellers to get out of work in time, so unlikely that the Supporters Club can justify putting on a bus to this one. The Doncaster game on the next day however is looking tasty, Saturday game, late morning departure from KP, and another superb rugby ground that is well worth a visit. We will keep you posted in the next day or so.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
26 July, 2017 18:37
I am in for a trip to Melrose and a 6pm kick off means the little man can come along as well

26 July, 2017 18:41
There is a bit of disquiet on the Edinburgh forum too re kick off time. I'd hoped for Glasgow in Kilmarnock but reckon if I finish work at 3.30 I should be able to make it in time. If you can stay the night Melrose is quite pleasant for a civilised post and pre match libation.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
04 August, 2017 21:52
Has missed that the kick off at Melrose was 6pm, just too early for us unfortunately.

rubyrhone (IP Logged)
05 August, 2017 10:08
Luckily have friends in Melrose so will make a weekend of it especially as will miss the glorious 12th.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
05 August, 2017 18:23
I miss all the pre season friendlies now, can't see sense in a 6pm kick off

pa8 (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 08:19
Quote:
steve1888
I miss all the pre season friendlies now, can't see sense in a 6pm kick off

It certainly seems a strange time to kick off bearing in mind it's a working day, albeit POETS day.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
06 August, 2017 08:33
Presumably a lack of floodlights issue. With it being Edinburgh's home game this was entirely their call.

dick g (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 15:18
Quote:
rubyrhone
Luckily have friends in Melrose so will make a weekend of it especially as will miss the glorious 12th.

What is glorious on 12th?

rubyrhone (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 15:21
Irony, Dick, irony.

dick g (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 16:01
Got me!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net