rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 23rd September v Bath Rugby at The Recreation Ground, 3.00pm

Friday 29th September v London Irish at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 7-29 Saracens

New Season - What are you looking for?
GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
21 July, 2017 11:06
Well the new season is not far away from us.What are you looking forward to or keeping an eye out for?

Whos your player/s to watch...is it a new signing, established falcon or an academy lad?

What about the team? Are you looking for improvements anywhere..ie efficiency at try scoring or more consistent defence etc etc?

Whats your Hopes for the season? Position in the league? Should we be targeting a final spot in any of the cups...maybe the Anglo Welsh or the European Cup we are in?

Anything else?

Re: New Season - What are you looking for?
Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
21 July, 2017 11:36
I am looking forward to entertaining rugby and further on field progress
If we can better last season I would be over the moon. We do have a better calibre of players his season overall so if we can avoid injuries there's no reason to not be positive
Personally looking forward to seeing how Flood, Matavesi and Maxi link up

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
21 July, 2017 12:50
1. If I had to pick one player, it would be Will Witty. He showed so much promise when he was given his chance in the first team last season until the injury. He has been training with the rest of the lads and with a full pre-season under his belt I'm hopeful that he can became one of our established locks alongside Green.

I am also looking forward to seeing Scott Wilson. I really hope he stays off the injury table and fulfil the potential he showed a few seasons back. He could be a key player for us.

Also Fonua looks in good shape this pre-season and I hope that the additional competition that Burrows brings will improve his performances.

New signing wise, it has to be Flood. I think his personality and winning mentality will add more than just his skills. I simply cannot wait to see a backline of Takelua, Flood, Socino, Mermoz/Matavesi, Sinoti/DTH, Goneva and Tait/Hammersley.

2. We need to target our away performances. Won 3 last season but we were fortunate to beat Northampton. We give away too many penalties and points away from home. We need to be better defensively. If we can win around 7 home games and pick up a few more wins away it should be enough to clinch top 6.

3. We should be targeting top 6 in the league if we intend to keep progressing. I would like us to be more competitive in Europe. With the squad that we have assembled we should be looking at getting quite far in the knockout stages.

AFalcon23 (IP Logged)
21 July, 2017 13:20
I am looking forward to seen us go a step further in the league next season, also looking forward to seen the new signings in action and the academy lads. smiling smiley

mannin (IP Logged)
21 July, 2017 13:58
The single biggest thing that will achieve better results is our attack. Our set-piece is generally good, as is our defence and ball retention but we are just not incisive enough. I hope our new fly-half and centre recruits will go some way to sorting this but our forward carrying is also regularly slow and unimaginative.

dick g (IP Logged)
21 July, 2017 14:10
As a simple Falconista, top six will do. Is this asking too much?

Leipziger (IP Logged)
23 July, 2017 09:57
Breaking the 50-point barrier in the Premiership would be good, and probably be the key sign of progress in my opinion. Top 6 would be nice of course, and like others I'd like to see us have a real go in at least one of the cups.

alnwickfalcon (IP Logged)
23 July, 2017 14:57
Well the new season is not far away from us.What are you looking forward to or keeping an eye out for?

Whos your player/s to watch...is it a new signing, established falcon or an academy lad? -

Looking forward to seeing Sean Robinson fighting for a first team spot with Green. The new signings I want to see Burrows as he could give us great go-forward from 8.

The backline is going to be outstanding if all fit and firing.

What about the team? Are you looking for improvements anywhere..ie efficiency at try scoring or more consistent defence etc etc?

KP must be a fortress as it was last season. For me bonus points are the answer as to whether or not we make the top six is bonus points. We need more try bonuses at home and away pick up loosing bonus points away from home.

Whats your Hopes for the season? Position in the league? Should we be targeting a final spot in any of the cups...maybe the Anglo Welsh or the European Cup we are in?

I think with the squad we have and depth we should be targeting the Anglo- Welsh Cup and look at doing well in the Challenge Cup.

In my opinion for the Premiership top 6 is now what we should be aiming at. As long as everyone stays fit and the backline links well, we could finish as high as 5th but as low as 7th.

This season is the most exciting for a long time with the off the field signings. I genuinely have no idea where we could finish in the league.

DJMc (IP Logged)
23 July, 2017 15:52
Like everyone else, I want us to accumulate as many points as possible and finish higher up the league table. What I don't want is for us to become embroiled in a relegation dog fight. I really enjoyed that we didn't have to keep looking over our shoulder which in turn left the team play better rugby for the most part ( there were of course still some shockers best forgotten).
Bearing in mind that we are playing a double header of friendlies shows that we now have strength in depth so I am hoping that we will use that to put up a better showing in either/ both the cup competitions.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 13:34
ideally a top six league position and a good cup run

trummy200 (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 15:45
Its great to read the optimism going into the new season! Hope all goes well and the Falcons get more media exposure than of late!

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 16:55
I don't have any unrealistic expectation for the league and think we will do well to top last year, a lot of other teams have recruited well and I doubt Glaws and Sale will be as bad this time around. Would be fantastic if we bettered last year but I don't think we should be disappointed if we don't. Even 8th and playing good rugby would be fine for me, anything higher, great.

What I am really looking for is for us to take the cups seriously. A good cup run does wonders for confidence and feel good factor, a lot of the younger supporters haven't experienced a good run like we had back in the day, truly great experiences.

Anyway.....8th, good rugby, cup run and the referee not getting blamed for every defeat and I'll be a happy fellow.

Osric (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 20:29
More tries and maybe a position or two higher than last term. My only worry is front row.

aidanb (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 20:46
Quote:
Exiled Falcon
.........and the referee not getting blamed for every defeat and I'll be a happy fellow.

Now steady on 😄

Osric (IP Logged)
25 July, 2017 07:30
More tries. We finished 8th but finished 11th in terms of tries scored. Saints, one place ahead of us, conceded 23 fewer tries ( we were 10th in the tries conceded table). Ok, we can all do what we want with stats (Wilson's tackle count, Niki's metres gained, Tane's kicking percentage - we look like world beaters) but it remains that we finished 8th by virtue of turning narrow losses into narrow wins - a major improvement on previous seasons. A target this year must be to correct the imbalance in the tries for and against columns. Do this and we win more games and entertain more fans (ave home gate over 8,000 would be good, too). Really looking forward to it but do hope we have enough strength and strength in depth in the front row to provide a platform for our dazzling backs. COF

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
26 July, 2017 08:04
There was a tremendous feel-good factor buzzing around KP from the very start of last season. If we can keep that up & turn the narrow wins into convincing wins, everything else will fall into place.

Feeling good right now & ready for the season ahead.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
26 July, 2017 09:24
I'd like to see a solid,if not dominant platform upfront. I know statistics say we had the most efficient scrum, but I suppose it's because we moved the ball quickly at scrum time.
I'd like to see a solid scrum and to dictate plays rather than responding to what other teams are doing, especially at home.
I think we've sorted out flyhalf position with Flood and Matavese coming in.
I do think we can kick on if we have a solid platform and we have to show last season was no flash in a pan.
Expectation levels have gone up and I'm looking at us to improve way over last season's performance. Teams now know what to expect now and we need to back it up.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
26 July, 2017 12:50
Quote:
aidanb
Quote:
Exiled Falcon
.........and the referee not getting blamed for every defeat and I'll be a happy fellow.

Now steady on 😄

Possibly being greedy with that wish!!!

Thenomad (IP Logged)
07 August, 2017 21:48
It will be interesting to see how the new signings get on, will they gel with the team? The bunch of lads we had last year gave us the best season for years, so we go out and buy "names",putting some noses out of place and changing the dynamic of a good team, time will tell if its for the better!

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 09:07
Interestingly enough in one of the Mark Wilson interviews after his first few training session back, he made comment to this.

He said it was great to see how well the new guys were gelling, in particularly how much they were emphasising standards, both to the senior and academy players. Constantly pushing the required level.

That can only be a good thing.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 11:56
I think Josh Matavese will give us a different dimension at centre with his kicking game and ball carrying. He always commits defenders and it takes more than one to stop him. And that off-load!
He's matured into a really good rugby player since he was last in the AP.
I think we'll definitely kick on from last season. Cannot wait.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
08 August, 2017 13:54
For the last 2 seasons we have lamented the lack of a quality fly half and have lamented missed points opportunities and fantasised as to where we 'could' be if we had a proven 10. Now we do , and have an exciting squad to support him so I look forward to see if our grumbles over the last were well founded

lizard118 (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 09:10
I think we might be the surprise package again if we're solid in the scrum. That's about the only area I still have doubts.

I definitely believe we have a good season ahead. We've always talked a good game but have struggled to execute, accuracy always the buzz word, but last season showed we're a competitive outfit in the making.
It's just about backing it up and running with it this season.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 11:17
To be in the mix for Champions Cup places and no relegation worries , I'd be happy with that along with a good home record.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 12:16
Any improvement in the league compared to last season will do for me, but more importantly I would like to see our squad capable of competing in both league & cup games. We were definitely well short of being able to field strong teams for both last season, a clear indication that we are not yet ready for the big boys euro cup.

By the end of next season I would like to think that we were in with a shout for not disgracing ourselves in the big cup, while not allowing our league form to falter as a consequence. That didn't do Sale any good at all, and it wouldn't be good for us either.

09 August, 2017 16:51
happy to be relegation free by christmas then looking up. any improvement on 9th is a positive. all we need this season is a ruthless cutting edge (easier said than done) roll on Saturday

Osric (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 19:26
If we're going to be in position 6-9, who'll be below us?

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
09 August, 2017 19:52
Quote:
Osric
If we're going to be in position 6-9, who'll be below us?

For the first time in years this isn't so easy to predict. Worcester have been an obvious candidate for years, but seemed to have new life with Gary Gold in charge. Glos look shaky in terms of a club that has a poor feel, and I put more faith in the general feel-good or feel-bad culture in a club than what their squad looks like on paper. Sale looked iffy last season but I think that was a rebound from the season before so could be a one-off. Irish are bound to struggle. Saints don't look too clever & could implode, and absolutely any of the others could have an unexpected disaster of a season, it has happened before.

In short, apart from Irish I have no idea.

telfs123 (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 18:03
Inevitably completely incorrect prediction of table:

1) Sarries
2) Exeter
3) Tigers
4) Barf
5) Wasps
6) Falcons
7) Quins
8) Saints
9) Sale
10) Wuss
11) Glos
12) Irish

Osric (IP Logged)
10 August, 2017 18:23
From memory, the season we went down and Wasps stayed up we had 30 odd points, indicative of a competitive year with no whipping boys. I think this season will be equally competitive and Irish will be stronger than Bristol were.
We sometimes have seasons that throw up a surprise or two. Tiggers could be very strong this year and it'll be interesting to see what happens with both Glos and Saints.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 06:30
To start the season with a strong win over The Warriors and to end the season with a place in the European Champions Cup. It'll give a huge boost to NE Rugby with the Final being at SJP in May 2019.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
11 August, 2017 09:23
Quote:
Cantabrian
To start the season with a strong win over The Warriors and to end the season with a place in the European Champions Cup. It'll give a huge boost to NE Rugby with the Final being at SJP in May 2019.
Agreed there. We need to get a few wins on the road though as I imagine we'll be strong at home. I also see Irish as possible whipping boys. Very interested to see our game plan with Toby pulling the strings at flyhalf.
We need to dictate plays rather than responding. I have a good feeling though.

citizen-slacker (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 17:03
An overall improvement in basic skills and game management

lebigmac69 (IP Logged)
12 August, 2017 20:32
This season, for me, absolutely must be about European qualification. If we do that we can attract a higher class of player (no disrespect to current signings, been generally very impressed) but if we want a genuine marquee player we need to be able to offer them top European rugby.

Player retention will also be significantly easier if we're playing in the proper European competition.

We've been given a kind start to the season, lets start well and then kick on when the big boys lose their big names during the internationals.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 13:25
On a general note, an open and honest enforcement of the salary cap

Chris1850 (IP Logged)
15 August, 2017 16:29
Quote:
Bedlington Lad
On a general note, an open and honest enforcement of the salary cap

Now that WOULD be a novelty!!

Running Rugby (IP Logged)
17 August, 2017 20:31
1. Looking forward to seeing Callum Chick continue his rise through the ranks, very talented player, hoping he will get more game time this season.

Also looking forward to seeing Ryan Burrows in action, big unit who gives gain line go forward.

And the big one, go for me, is Toby Flood, the man just oozes class and organisation, which is something we missed last season, and with mermoz outside, we should get plenty tries.

2. Looking forward to seeing the attack continue to develop and the try count go go up. But also the defence to continue improving, with the mistakes being cut out.

3. I think the expectations amongst fans will be rather high this coming season, and rightly so. Going off, last seasons progress and some of the top notch signings to go with the academy lads banging on the door. Think we can go for top six and a good run in the cups.

Whatever happens, it will be a very exciting season and one filled with optimism and excitement.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 20/08/2017 08:05 by Running Rugby.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
18 August, 2017 08:30
Quote:
Running Rugby
1. Looking forward to seeing Callum Chick continue his rise through the ranks, very talented player, hoping he will get more gamete this season.

Gamete

noun
Biology

plural noun: gametes

a mature haploid male or female germ cell which is able to unite with another of the opposite sex in sexual reproduction to form a zygote.

(Sm105)

Running Rugby (IP Logged)
20 August, 2017 08:04
Quote:
Monkey1
Quote:
Running Rugby
1. Looking forward to seeing Callum Chick continue his rise through the ranks, very talented player, hoping he will get more gamete this season.

Gamete

noun
Biology

plural noun: gametes

a mature haploid male or female germ cell which is able to unite with another of the opposite sex in sexual reproduction to form a zygote.

(Sm105)

Ha ha, damn autocorrect on phone!
Ammended accordingly!

20 August, 2017 10:31
Just hope we can put teams like Worcester and Gloucester away a bit better.

Also...
1: Wasps
2: Saracens
3: Exeter
4: Leicester
5: Bath
6: Quins
7: FALCONS
8: Saints
9: Sale
10: Gloucester
11: Worcester
12: Irish

lizard118 (IP Logged)
20 August, 2017 12:10
I will go with this one;
1. Wasps ( attack too lethal for opposition)
2. Saracens
3. Exeter
4. Leicester
5. Bath
6. Newcastle ( surprise package! &#128513winking smiley
7. Northampton ( flyhalf problem to continue, plus poor away form and scared of own fans at home!)
8.Gloucester( they have bought well but transition period, again- Humphrey for the sack! Plus scared of own fans in shed!)
9. Harlequins( they will struggle without Evans plus thin squad juggling Europe as well.Kingsley for the sack!)
10. Sale Sharks ( players too scared of DoR!)
11.Worcester Warriors
12. London Irish ( I think they will struggle. Not enough depth for premiership rugby)

I think I will put money on this one, may be with some slight tweaks. Wasps v Sarries final.

SimonG19 (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 17:32
Playing all home games in England.

Falconski (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 18:34
Does anyone know whats happening on the main sponsor front? The Worcester game is not far away and we still do not have a main shirt sponsor :-(

markismith50 (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 18:54
We'll keep you updated on shirt sponsorship.

Cheers
Smithy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net