rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 15th December v Dragons at Rodney Parade, 7.30pm

Saturday 23rd December v Harlequins at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 52-24 Bordeaux-Begles

Delany returns to NZ and signs for Bay Of Plenty
falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
21 July, 2017 17:38
[www.boprugby.co.nz]

Now guys,

First of all just want to say a massive THANK YOU to everyone who has donated to me, a large proportion of donations have came from users on this site and I just wanted to tell you guys I really appreciate it, you are donating to a great cause.

My half marathon was a success as I completed it in 2:25 with a 10kg vest...tough on the knees!

But yeah I'm almost all done with the vaccinations and fly out to Sierra Leone on 9th October and return on 18th December

I'm delighted to tell you the work I will be doing over there will be as a child workforce officer. Teaching kids basic English and maths, providing basic sex education on how to prevent viruses and STDS like HIV.

So yeah I'll be attending the first few games and can't wait to see the boys in action, hopefully improving on the success of last season. I'll be here fror the Wuss game till the Irish game, so hopefully we start well and get s couple of wins early on. Consistency is key.

Anyway big news!

Mike Delany has been granted a early release from his contract having one year left to play with us and has returned to NZ where he will play for Bay of Plenty in the upcoming 10 mitre cup.

A move that just didn't come off for him I think many will agree, and after 6 years abroad probably felt it was the right time to go home.

Never really linked up well with JPS and at times looked like he struggled with the physicality in pthe Premiership.

Wish him all the best for the future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 21/07/2017 17:46 by falconsfan07.

Re: Delany returns to NZ and signs for Bay Of Plenty
AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
21 July, 2017 18:34
I really did think Delany would do much better than he did, but it just didn't work out for him sadly. smiling smiley

pityacker (IP Logged)
21 July, 2017 19:14
Saw Delany a few times on TV playing for Clermont and he looked a classy player but it for some reason didn't happen for him at KP. This is another situation of Falcons supporters being kept in the dark re leaving players .

digitalsys (IP Logged)
21 July, 2017 19:42
Does it really matter in this case?

Delaney out and Flood in - I'll take a delay in comms for that result to be honest

I haven't looked forward to a season this much for years

smiling smiley

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
21 July, 2017 21:30
No loss at all.

He may have an AB cap but we never witnessed anything near that level from him. With Joel having a decent season and Flood coming in, and Willis and Conon progressing...his time with us was clearly up.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
22 July, 2017 06:26
The writing was on the wall for me when he missed that conversion in front of the posts. Wasn't it against Leicester?

I'm sure he was a nice guy but never showed anything in a Falcons shirt.

22 July, 2017 07:23
Wasn't even trying half the time, good riddance.

Osric (IP Logged)
22 July, 2017 09:38
All the best Mike. Thanks for all you did on and off the field.

Xanderman (IP Logged)
22 July, 2017 10:18
Quote:
JustAnotherOnlooker

Blimey bit harsh! I find if things don't go well the fly half will always get the brunt of fan abuse, it's a shame. Jimmy Gopperth got it when he was at Leinster despite being the quality player we knew him to be and is now. Saints fans were talking about how well Hodgson ran the game compared to Myler when they played us in February and then the next game he gets labled as not premiership quality against the premiership winners.

Thanks for your hard work and contributions to the team Mike! thumbs down

CharlieDog (IP Logged)
22 July, 2017 11:20
Quote:
JustAnotherOnlooker

Utterly childish

Good luck Mike, just a shame it didn't work out.

However, yet AGAIN the club can't be bothered to tell the supporters about a senior departure/re-signing..... what's the excuse this time Smithy...... needs to be better than the half baked Hoggy saga!

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
22 July, 2017 11:26
Quote:
JustAnotherOnlooker

Even if you are so twisted that you think such a level of criticism is warranted, to actually put it like that is the lowest of bad manners and says a lot about the sort of person who would post something like that.

Good luck Mike, and thanks.

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
22 July, 2017 13:08
It didn't work out for the guy for whatever reason but these things happen in all sport; the insistence on playing him when his confidence was obviously low was the fault of the coaches not the player.

Anyway, it's in the past so all we can do is sincerely wish him all the best for the future (as we should with any departing player) and more importantly look forward to what promises to be a great season.

CRUCIBLE (IP Logged)
22 July, 2017 13:20
To say the guy was not trying is not true and an insult to his integrity.
It just did not work out for him - due mainly to a loss of confidence and a few
untimely injuries.

Thanks and good luck for the future Mike.

pa8 (IP Logged)
22 July, 2017 13:41
Quote:
JustAnotherOnlooker

Like pityacker, I saw him a few times playing for Clermont, on the telly and thought he was a cracking player. To say he didn't try for us is unbelievable. Lack of confidence definitely but not trying ? Wow.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
23 July, 2017 08:52
It's a shame it didn't work out for Delany with us, it just happens with certain players. Hopefully his experience will have benefitted the younger players though, and good luck to him back in NZ.

trummy200 (IP Logged)
23 July, 2017 10:47
Poor old fly half's - Have to say that what I saw Mike didn't make a big impression - but (and I accept he didn't play the whole game in that position) Farrell in the third Lions test was close to a liability - only his goal kicking was crack on. Its a difficult position to play if your teams on the back foot and until last season that was certainly the case at Falcons

DJMc (IP Logged)
23 July, 2017 14:39
I think Delaney suffered by not being Jimmy Goperth. These were big boots to follow not only on the pitch but in the affection of us the fans and for various reasons it didn't happen. However I have no doubt that as a professional sportsman, he will have tried his hardest on the pitch.

17Roundabouts (IP Logged)
23 July, 2017 22:23
I met him at the last supporters "talk in" and he came across as a great guy & just a shame it didn't work out for him & the Falcons..Best wishes to Mike in this new chapter of his rugby playing career.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/07/2017 22:24 by 17Roundabouts.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 12:32
Good luck to him for the future, for whatever reason things just didn't click for him at the Falcons

aidanb (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 17:38
I always felt he played well at full back but just couldn't convince himself he was good enough at ten.

From what I saw he worked hard enough and put the effort in but it just didn't click for him.

It's a shame because last year with Joel at 10 and Mike at 15 we looked decent in attack.

Too far away (IP Logged)
24 July, 2017 22:10
It didn't work out for him, I would thank him for everything and wish him best of luck for the future.

25 July, 2017 09:45
Apologies if I rubbed some people up the wrong way and I will thank him for his service, but for me he was the centre point of a lot of things wrong not necessarily last season but the season before and he didn't change anything in the season we've just had. Negative, dour, aimlessly kicking away, happy to bring pressure to our 22.

Once again, sorry if I've particularly rubbed anyone up the wrong way on here but I have my reasons.

aidanb (IP Logged)
25 July, 2017 09:57
Quote:
JustAnotherOnlooker

Quote:
JustAnotherOnlooker
Apologies if I rubbed some people up the wrong way and I will thank him for his service, but for me he was the centre point of a lot of things wrong not necessarily last season but the season before and he didn't change anything in the season we've just had. Negative, dour, aimlessly kicking away, happy to bring pressure to our 22.
Once again, sorry if I've particularly rubbed anyone up the wrong way on here but I have my reasons.

Well thats a much better assessment and as it's an opinion then it's valid.

Your first version was a bit unfair on the fella

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net