rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 23rd September v Bath Rugby at The Recreation Ground, 3.00pm

Friday 29th September v London Irish at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 7-29 Saracens

New scrum laws
dick g (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 09:15
New scrum laws sound good. Scrum halves must align their outer shoulder with line down middle of tunnel. The ball must still be put in straight, but it will be closer to the feet of the non-offending front row one of whom must try to hook the ball, thus ending the pushing over the ball technique. Eights are permitted to pick the ball from the second row with the idea of making quicker ball release. What do you think? Seems to me that it will preserve the basic idea of the scrum while limiting delays. All depends of course, on the whistlemongers.

Re: New scrum laws
Monkey1 (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 11:44
Referees will ignore these as they have ignored others. Business as usual.

rubyrhone (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 14:10
Which shoulder is outer?

dick g (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 14:16
The one furthest from the SH's front row. This way the idea is that the put-in favours the non-offending side. I like the idea of obliging one of the non-offending front row to hook. Reduces the initial impact of the shove and allows the opposition to compete.

rubyrhone (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 17:17
Thanks Dick. I can now amaze my friends.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 18:27
Always amazed by the the constant changes upfront but nothing much changes if sir doesn't apply the laws clearly. Business as usual I imagine.

Foot Up (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 21:20
The none offending side always had an advantage at the scrum.

They put the ball in from the Loosehead side of the scrum hence the hookers head (and his body) was closer than the opposition hooker.

If you took an opposition ball you took a strike against the head (the advantage of being a heads width closer to the put in).

Get back to the original laws and put the ball in straight and down the middle, and let the hooker ply his trade.

And yes I remember getting three points for a try.

exhooker (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 22:29
And I didn't throw the ball in at the line out

aidanb (IP Logged)
14 August, 2017 22:47
I don't care anymore about where the ball is put in or how straight.

I just want the front rows to stay up and not look for penalties

Use the scrum to destroy an opposition pack by wearing them down physically and mentally. I don't like the way props play chicken with a ref giving penalties. Push straight or cheat like buggery but stay up and let the ball come out.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
16 August, 2017 09:05
Quote:
aidanb
I don't care anymore about where the ball is put in or how straight.
I just want the front rows to stay up and not look for penalties

Use the scrum to destroy an opposition pack by wearing them down physically and mentally. I don't like the way props play chicken with a ref giving penalties. Push straight or cheat like buggery but stay up and let the ball come out.

Completely agree with that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net