rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 18th November v Wasps at Ricoh Arena, 5.15pm

Friday 24th November v Gloucester at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 57-0 Cardiff Blues

Team for Worcester
NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
20 August, 2017 07:55
Despite two friendlies to go, we are under 2 weeks away from Worcester and wanted to know who you expected to be in side. My effort:

1. Bobby Vickers
2. Kyle Cooper
3. Jon Welsh
4. Calum Green
5. Evan Olmstead
6. Mark Wilson
7. Will Welch
8. Ryan Burrows
9. Sonatane Takelua (fingers crossed he's available)
10. Toby Flood
11. Sinoti Sinoti
12. Juan Pablo Socino
13. Maxime Mermoz
14. Vereniki Goneva (I'd assume he will play against Edinburgh)
15. Simon Hammersley

16. Scott Lawson
17. Sami Mavinga
18. Trevor Davison
19. Will Witty
20. Nili Latu
21. Sam Stuart
22. Josh Matavesi
23. Belisario Agulla

Players who could make an inclusion is Glen Young (who appears to be in first team contention after impressing in pre season), Harrison Orr, Simon Uzokwe and Adam Radwan who have all impressed in pre season. Callum Chick will also be unfortunate to miss out.

The likes of Robinson, Tait, Fonua, Cavubati, Graham, Wilson props, Lockwood,
DTHVDM, Waldouck and Michael Young are yet to feature in pre season so if the year appear in the final 2 friendlies they might be in contention to feature in the squad but I think a few of those are injured.

Re: Team for Worcester
pityacker (IP Logged)
20 August, 2017 08:10
I would presume Tane Takulua came off after his 20 minute stint as planned as he was sitting in the dugout and when Young Dawson got injured took off his training vest to go back on but got word not to go therefore hopefully not injured.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
20 August, 2017 08:11
Tane was only due for a brief run and, to the best of my knowledge, isn't injured.

20 August, 2017 08:12
Thank Christ for that! Thanks Pityacker and now Smithy. It's a real shame that Dawson had to come off. In hindsight another youngster who has impressed who could find himself in contention to be in the squad. Just goes to show the amount of depth that we possess.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 20/08/2017 08:13 by NorfolkFalcon.

dick g (IP Logged)
20 August, 2017 11:27
I know my annual optimism is the stuff of legend, but I really do believe this is the best squad for some several seasons. The speed and depth is highly encouraging. If our pack can deliver - and I think it will - we can be more of a surprise punch than a mere package. If anyone reading this is planning to come to KP for the first time, join us behind the posts in the South Stand. This is where the Loud Lads (And Lasses) enjoy the action. Cannot be beaten for match day passion.

20 August, 2017 11:41
I will be there Dick. Can't wait for my first visit to the KP.

pa8 (IP Logged)
20 August, 2017 13:36
Does anyone know of the injury progress of Sam Lockwood and DTHVDM ? If Lockwood's fit I'd like to see him start with Witty and Robinson in the second row and Latu at 8. The backs, as per NF, just about pick themselves.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
20 August, 2017 15:41
That team for me as well, some really good players there even the younger lads look quality. smiling smiley

dick g (IP Logged)
20 August, 2017 16:47
[quote NorfolkFalcon]I will be there Dick. Can't wait for my first visit to the KP.[/quote

Behind the posts behind the protection barrier you will find a couple of senior citizens with very short white hair with short beards to match. The taller one is me. The other guy us my partner in crime, Glen. Look forward to seeing you.

alas (IP Logged)
20 August, 2017 16:55
NorfolkFalcon's line-up is good, but only has 10 or 11 EQP. That's not enough.

alnwickfalcon (IP Logged)
21 August, 2017 11:09
Quote:
pa8
Does anyone know of the injury progress of Sam Lockwood and DTHVDM ? If Lockwood's fit I'd like to see him start with Witty and Robinson in the second row and Latu at 8. The backs, as per NF, just about pick themselves.

I spoke to Sam Lockwood on Saturday at the Falcons Junior event. He said he wont be back until October and that its a full year out by the time he's back.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
21 August, 2017 13:17
Achilles injuries are worse than broken bones for the most part. I think that's what Jonny Golding had leading to his retirement. They always flare up and best to have it sorted even if it means taking a year out.

One of those things that can't be rushed, which is unfortunate for him as he looked solid in the few games he played for us.

Anyway October is only a month into the new season, soon hope to see him soon.

pa8 (IP Logged)
21 August, 2017 14:44
Cheers AF.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
21 August, 2017 20:09
Very sorry to hear that about Lockwood, but hopefully it's been managed properly and he comes back firing...

Fortunately Benjamin looks a very promising Lh and we have Mavinga and The evergreen Vickers..

Sam Stuart at sh looked nice and pacy and if Takulua is not available I think he would be a very good replacement

mannin (IP Logged)
21 August, 2017 20:21
Burrows/Latu/Fonua starting or off the bench is a great trio of number 8s. Especially with Latu covering the flanks as well. I think the importance of an out and out Number 8 is being realised again across the board.

alas (IP Logged)
21 August, 2017 20:33
Hope you're not sending Hogg into early retirement. He's still one of the most skillful players the Falcons have and controls the ball at the back of the scrum better than the others. He and Chick are much better all-round players than Fonua, and while Burrows looks promising, he's yet to prove himself in the Premiership.

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
22 August, 2017 06:50
Quote:
alas
Hope you're not sending Hogg into early retirement. He's still one of the most skillful players the Falcons have and controls the ball at the back of the scrum better than the others. He and Chick are much better all-round players than Fonua, and while Burrows looks promising, he's yet to prove himself in the Premiership.

chick is still very lightweight and hasn't cut the mustard at the top level yet, Hogg is getting on and I wouldn't use as a regular first team player. And neither of them players give us the go forward that Fonua does. It takes several players to take him down and he's great at offloading in the tackle which opens up gaps. We just need him fit and firing, we haven't seen the best of opeti yet

telfs123 (IP Logged)
22 August, 2017 07:15
Sadly Fonua's "go forward" regularly involves the ball going forward every time he takes contact....
Would much rather have Chick involved.

For me:

Vickers
Lawson
Welsh
Witty
Green
Wilson
Welch
Latu
Takalua
Flood
Sinoti
Socino
Mermoz
Goneva
Hammer

Mavinga
Cooper
S.Wilson (if fit)
Robinson
Chick
Stuart
Willis/Matavesi
Tait

alnwickfalcon (IP Logged)
22 August, 2017 08:16
Mavinga
Cooper
Welsh
Green
Robinson
Wilson
Welch
Burrows
Takalua
Flood
Sinoti
Matavesi
Mermoz
Goneva
Hammersley

Vickers
Sowery
S Wilson
Olmstead
Chick
Stuart
Hodgson
Radwan

mannin (IP Logged)
22 August, 2017 09:13
As we've seen repeatedly, Wilson/Welch/Hogg just does't have the right balance. You need someone who can go forward in heavy traffic in the back row and Burrows/Fonua should offer that.

I think the only English side who've got even close to getting the best out of Fonua so far is London Welsh and that was when he was in bad shape. Give him the ball in space and send runners off both shoulders for the offload.

pa8 (IP Logged)
22 August, 2017 10:19
Fonua has lost some serious timber and looks really fit. It'll be interesting to see how he goes this season.

22 August, 2017 10:57
From the pre-season photos, Fonua looks in good shape and I personally think he will become an important part of the team this season. I acknowledge that his handling skills last season weren’t the best and hope that he has been practicing the basics. We all know that he is a big threat and pulls in defenders which will provide extra opportunities for our exciting backline to exploit.

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
22 August, 2017 13:34
The main thing I noticed at the double header weekend was the conditioning of the squad as a whole.

They all looked in tip top shape (maybe Josh Matavasi) been an exception but to be fair that could be due to injury.

As previously mentioned Fonua looks to have really worked had and looked in great shape.

I look at our squad now and I honestly don't think that there is any one player who is guaranteed a starting place. The competion for places will drive them all on even more(as nobody likes being a fringe player at any level of sport)

Exciting season ahead!!

aidanb (IP Logged)
22 August, 2017 14:09
Quote:
pa8
Fonua has lost some serious timber and looks really fit. It'll be interesting to see how he goes this season.

The benefit is more mobility but the downside is a lack of hitting power.

We will have to see if the greater speed does just as much damage to defences

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
22 August, 2017 14:28
Fonua does need some Velcro on his hands mind...he does spill the pill a bit.

And I agree that we need balance in the back row...Wilson, Welch and Hogg is too similar.
I think Chick could fall in to that group as well. I'd like to see him really put on a few pounds.

But with the acquisitions this season and players like Witty offering real powerhouse carrying...we should be able to put some really nicely balanced packs / back 5's out there.

pa8 (IP Logged)
22 August, 2017 14:35
I'd like to see Witty and Robinson in the second row for that reason, they're both ball carriers and both can make headway through heavy traffic. Green is more of a grafter, admittedly needed at times, and Olmstead tends to do his carrying down the wings.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
22 August, 2017 20:04
Hi everyone I am new here and actually am a South London boy but i have lived here for 10 years and am a HUGE falcons fan. I think Deano has done a great job so far and I am very excited about the squad for the season. It will be a squad effort no doubt.

The players look fit and strong.

I agree with the fonua observations but i think what Deano recognises is that so often the game now is about that "point of difference" and I do think he offers that. On his day he is seriously destructive.

Other players who can/might/will offer this are: mavinga(so I've heard), matavesi, latu, takalua, sinoti, goneva, witty (I think he is a TOTAL monster), cooper (who I thought was superb whenever I saw him last season), mermoz (obviously) but also Cowell and radwan, from the look of pre season. On that pitch, these players are a real handful for anyone.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
22 August, 2017 20:08
....and I think we have a good mix of brain and bream this season too!

quote Marco19819]Hi everyone I am new here and actually am a South London boy but i have lived here for 10 years and am a HUGE falcons fan. I think Deano has done a great job so far and I am very excited about the squad for the season. It will be a squad effort no doubt.

The players look fit and strong.

I agree with the fonua observations but i think what Deano recognises is that so often the game now is about that "point of difference" and I do think he offers that. On his day he is seriously destructive.

Other players who can/might/will offer this are: mavinga(so I've heard), matavesi, latu, takalua, sinoti, goneva, witty (I think he is a TOTAL monster), cooper (who I thought was superb whenever I saw him last season), mermoz (obviously) but also Cowell and radwan, from the look of pre season. On that pitch, these players are a real handful for anyone.[/quote]

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
23 August, 2017 08:32
Welcome Marco - I'm originally from the Midlands and have been here over 20 years - we are generally friendly bunch

lizard118 (IP Logged)
23 August, 2017 09:41
Welcome Marco and nice to have you on here. It can be a madhouse sometimes, when the Falcons lose! But otherwise all good natured in recent years.
Talking of all things Falcons, I think this year is the most positive I've known for many a year, bar the lack of announced main sponsor.
I think we'll do well in the Worcester game regardless of who's playing. Just nice to have the depth and togetherness that we now have.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
23 August, 2017 16:07
For what it's worth:

Mavinga
Cooper
D Wilson
Green
Witty
M. Wilson
Welch
Latu

Takalua
Flood
Matavesi
Mermoz
Sinoti
Goneva
Hammers

I think matavesi needs to get fit mind you, although is a real box of tricks and is GREAT to watch. Flood can speak French to help mermoz and I think goneva can come off his wing looking for work...he has considerable experience of playing in the centres anyway. I actually think you could pick multiple front fives because Richards prioritises work rate over anything else. I think if we get injuries at tight head we may have some trouble but otherwise I am pretty happy.

dick g (IP Logged)
23 August, 2017 17:51
Quote:
Bedlington Lad
Welcome Marco - I'm originally from the Midlands and have been here over 20 years - we are generally friendly bunch

I'm a Londoner, but I've lived here for half a century. I therefore claim to be as much or even more a Geordie than someone who just happened to be born here because I have chosen to live here. Anyway, all Falcons fans are seriously friendly.

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
23 August, 2017 19:15
Quote:
dick g
Quote:
Bedlington Lad

I'm a Londoner, but I've lived here for half a century. I therefore claim to be as much or even more a Geordie than someone who just happened to be born here because I have chosen to live here. Anyway, all Falcons fans are seriously friendly.

Welcome Marco
I'm not a geordie either, I'm a Northumbrian born and bread. We are a good friendly active bunch on here

Garym (IP Logged)
25 August, 2017 08:34
When matavesi was with us(Worcester) he was never the fittest! He did contribute to one of the b st tries ever scored at six ways. See you all next week

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net