rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Sunday 29th October v Leicester Tigers at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Saturday 4th November v Wasps at Ricoh Arena, 3.00pm (Anglo Welsh)

Last result: Bordeaux Begles 20-21 Newcastle Falcons

Major Player Contract News This Afternoon
NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 13:01
Who do we reckon? Biggest one would be Takelua. One of our best players and only 26 so he has lots of season ahead of him.

Re: Major Player Contract News This Afternoon
AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 13:18
Hoping Takelua been class for us. smiling smiley

pityacker (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 14:10
He has been In front of the tv cameras today so hopefully it's Tane.

rubyrhone (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 15:01
Yes, its Tane. I d like the longer contacts which a lot of clubs seem to be giving to their proven players.

alnwickfalcon (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 15:30
Brilliant news that Tane has signed on for an additional 4 years.
A huge personal commitment from him. I struggle to think of more than maybe 2 (Robson(Wasps) & Youngs(Leicester) better or equally as good scrum-half's in the division.

Well done to all at the Falcons who got this deal done and over the line a massive positive going into the season.

pityacker (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 15:33
Very shrewd business by Falcons getting this deal done as there would have been no shortage of offers in January when clubs could talk to him. Thank you Mr Kurdi.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 15:55
I was shocked that we have managed to sign up Tane on a 4 year contract, the club have pulled off a tremendous coup. Well done to all involved. Delighted that he has committed himself to the club.

I could imagine all Premiership sides would have been looking to snap up Tane. A goal kicking 9 with quick service, creativity, pace and would practically be available all season.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 15:56
Genuinely the nicest guy you could wish to meet, incredibly humble and with an immense work ethic. It's an absolute pleasure working with him and great that it has all been sorted in good time.

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 16:12
As everyone said this is fantastic news, I can imagine not only premiership sides but id imagine some hefty top 14 sides offered him a contract, but signing up for 4 more years here shows where newcastle are as a club.

All the players speak about the positive family culture here and it just seems like everyone wants to be a part of where we are heading as a club.

Some coup, bring on Friday!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 30/08/2017 16:12 by falconsfan07.

dick g (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 16:20
The best re-signing for a very long time. Four years from a player who might have taken his pick from any number of clubs. But enough of the pre-season enthusiasm ( of which I am as guilty as anyone) and let's have that result on Friday to confirm that this might just be the season we have been anticipating for years. I bought my season ticket today so my bridge/boat has been burned.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 17:21
Great news this just think a year ago or so we could of been losing this calibre of player. smiling smiley

Running Rugby (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 18:32
Great news and as mentioned, as sign of where the Falcons are at the moment.

Onwards and Upwards!

DB23 (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 18:54
Agree with all comments above. In my opinion, this is the best signing/re-signing of pre-season and he can get better still.

Tane was a real find by the club as a relatively unknown scrum half and has proved his worth with some top performances. His place kicking is a real bonus too.

He is shy and humble, as his uncomfortable post-match interviews would testify!

markismith50 (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 19:03
"He is shy and humble, as his uncomfortable post-match interviews would testify!"

True. Also worth bearing in mind that English isn't his first language.

DB23 (IP Logged)
30 August, 2017 19:14
Quote:
markismith50
"He is shy and humble, as his uncomfortable post-match interviews would testify!"

Thanks Mark, I didn't know that.

As you make reference to in your previous comments above, he is a top man on and off the field.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
31 August, 2017 08:18
Quote:
DB23
Tane was a real find by the club as a relatively unknown scrum half and has proved his worth with some top performances.

I think that's the type of player Dean loves to find and this one in particular has come off.

We've had quite a few other "unknowns" through the doors which haven't quite worked out...but as long as we keep finding the odd gem like Tane (is Sinotti in that bracket?) i'm sure Dean wont mind a few failed ones.

mannin (IP Logged)
31 August, 2017 11:41
It's the risk we've had to take whilst having much less financial clout than the competition

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
31 August, 2017 12:23
Its a risk I hope we continue to explore though Mannin.

Tried and successful like Goneva for example are great signings...but I love to see us trialling "unknowns" so to speak

DB23 (IP Logged)
31 August, 2017 12:25
We've also had some 'known' players with mixed results.

I guess you just don't know until they're playing and assess their performances and contribution

TeflonTed (IP Logged)
01 September, 2017 17:44
Quote:
markismith50

Well, he moved to New Zealand when he was 12, so although Tongan born I'd expect him to be fluent in English, ( of a sort)

markismith50 (IP Logged)
02 September, 2017 00:41
I never said he wasn't fluent, I said it was not his first language. Which it isn't

steve1888 (IP Logged)
02 September, 2017 07:49
He was excellent last night I thought

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net