rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 9th December v Bordeaux-Begles at Kingston Park, 3.15pm

Friday 15th December v Dragons at Rodney Parade, 7.30pm

Last result: Northampton Saints 22-24 Newcastle Falcons

More grief for Wuss supporters
Kath... (IP Logged)
03 September, 2017 08:22
wuss up for sale

In the rugby paper today

Re: More grief for Wuss supporters
Monkey1 (IP Logged)
03 September, 2017 11:39
I had predicted Wuss to do a bit better this season, maybe even surprise a few people with Gary Gold giving them a bit of a sorting out. This news may change all that, it puts a real downer on the club as a whole to have the news floating around that the owner can't carry on for whatever reason & wants out. Just look at our decline when Dave Thompson needed to hang up his coat, and it has taken years for Semore to get it heading back in the right direction.

Wuss supporters have my sympathy, this could be a grim season for them.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
03 September, 2017 13:57
I don't think Worcester will be short of suitors. If the likes of Griffiths are interested and with a good set-up you'd imagine the club will be snapped up.
But I think Exeter's template is the way forward imo. Having a club in one person's control has a lot of risks if something happened to them.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
03 September, 2017 14:37
Problem with any top flight rugby club - Tigers aside is that they do not turn a profit.

Therefore in essence any purchaser has to be a massive fan because they will have to bank roll a club in a league which no longer maintains even any semblance of a sensible salary cap.

Add to that fact the situation that you don't even have security of tenure due to relegation so sponsorship can be fickle and it doesn't matter who you are, being up for sale is a bad prospect.

When we were relegated Thumper wanted out and our nearest competitors for the drop - Wasps - also up for sale at the time.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 06:14
Quote:
Kwa444
When we were relegated Thumper wanted out and our nearest competitors for the drop - Wasps - also up for sale at the time.

Thompson sold up before we were relegated, and had been open to offers for several years.

dick g (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 07:03
Quote:
Leipziger
Quote:
Kwa444

Thompson sold up before we were relegated, and had been open to offers for several years.

Thumper had taken SK on board as a partner in order to make a seamless transition of ownership. I recall Thumper introducing me to Semore just before he joined the Board.

We have actually been lucky with our owners. Johnny Hall sold the club to Thumper without demanding that his outstanding - and considerable - debt should be settled.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 17:04
John Hall wouldn't have managed to get rid of the club if he had wanted reimbursement. That money was gone for good - why would he have done anything else unless it was malicious?

On the subject of SK being in charge when we were relegated - yes I know it was the case. However changing the captain of a sinking ship won't change the result.

Years of being up for sale and speculative budget purchases put us down. It should be remembered that on the results from when SK appointed Gary Gold, I believe we were about 6th in the league. The damage had been well and truly done.

Putting a club up for sale will mean players may well look at other clubs in preference when contracts are discussed - they have their own interests to care for. The whole situation damages a club's prospects.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 17:09
Don't wish their scenario on anyone rugby supporter wise. That said, there are clearly some major issues that need addressing and if they get a buyer on who has some drive and ambition then that can only be good for the club.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
04 September, 2017 18:48
London Irish are in the same boat. Their main backer has put a good shift in too & realises that he can't do it on his own anymore. Best of luck to Wuss & Irish, and I would hope that both can find backing from somebody more like Semore, deeply involved in the club, with a strategy of making it well run & as sustainable as possible, rather than the approach of others where money is simply poured into the club with abandon. That is a risky strategy, because when the money is cut off for whatever reason, you are left with a monster with a huge appetite, and unless some other enthusiast can be found to take over very quickly, that will be game over.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net