rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 24th November v Gloucester at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Friday 1st December v Northampton Saints at Franklin's Gardens, 7.45pm

Last result: Wasps 40-10 Newcastle Falcons

Team v Saracens
eastfalcon (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 10:54
Newcastle Falcons team to face Saracens
15 Simon Hammersley
14 Alex Tait
13 Chris Harris
12 Josh Matavesi
11 Vereniki Goneva
10 Joel Hodgson
9 Sonatane Takulua
1 Rob Vickers
2 Scott Lawson
3 Jon Welsh
4 Calum Green
5 Sean Robinson
6 Mark Wilson
7 Will Welch (captain)
8 Nili Latu
Replacements
16 Santiago Socino
17 Sami Mavinga
18 Trevor Davison
19 Will Witty
20 Ally Hogg
21 Sam Stuart
22 Juan Pablo Socino
23 Sinoti Sinoti

Onwards and Upwards!

Re: Team v Saracens
eastfalcon (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 10:54
From Offy

[www.newcastlefalcons.co.uk]

Onwards and Upwards!

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 11:10
15 Alex Goode (233)
14 Liam Williams (1)
13 Marcelo Bosch (98)
12 Brad Barritt (c) (197)
11 Chris Wyles (229)
10 Owen Farrell (153)
9 Ben Spencer (102)

1 Mako Vunipola (121)
2 Jamie George (173)
3 Juan Figallo (60)
4 Nick Isiekwe (8)
5 Maro Itoje (77)
6 Michael Rhodes (59)
7 Schalk Burger (28)
8 Billy Vunipola (78)

16 Christopher Tolofua (1)
17 Hayden Thompson-Stringer (10)
18 Kieran Longbottom (6)
19 Dominic Day (2)
20 Jackson Wray (175)
21 Richard Wigglesworth (188)
22 Nick Tompkins (59)
23 Sean Maitland (22)

15 September, 2017 11:11
That's one hell of a sarries team. This could be a long and painful night tomorrow

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 11:15
Yikes, Saracens are just a rugby machine. I'd take any type of bonus points.

Good to see Sinoti back in contention.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 15/09/2017 11:22 by NorfolkFalcon.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 11:20
Sill no Toby Flood?

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 11:29
I just hope the lads enjoy it, it's a big occasion for a lot of these guys, just go out, play your patterns and have some fun, because loooking at Saracens side I expect nothing from this. So yeah just have some fun and give it a crack.

Credit to all the Falcons fans out there now. Give an extra shout for me.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 11:33
Some team that for Sarries, looking forward to it. smiling smiley

aidanb (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 11:36
Quote:
Falcons_Thunder
That's one hell of a sarries team. This could be a long and painful night tomorrow

Quote:
NorfolkFalcon

I get what you both mean, but our guys will surely be looking at themselves and fancy the chance to stuff it up them.

I like our side these days and I like the fact we are looking to take people on not survive against them. i.e. go out to win rather than go out not to get beaten

falconbear (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 11:38
Quote:
falconsfan07
I just hope the lads enjoy it, it's a big occasion for a lot of these guys, just go out, play your patterns and have some fun, because loooking at Saracens side I expect nothing from this. So yeah just have some fun and give it a crack.

FF07 - one of our West Standers is out there! Sadly not I. Keep an eye out for our 4 falcon flag combo with a chequered flag attached. The yanks are gonna love it - it's a big'n!

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 11:40
From a Saracens fan, falcons have some very dangerous players in that squad, your confidence must be sky high, it's in a neutral venue, anything can happen, here's hoping for a positive impact and s good game, safe travels to those who have gone and may the best team win

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 11:46
Quote:
falconbear
Quote:
falconsfan07

FF07 - one of our West Standers is out there! Sadly not I. Keep an eye out for our 4 falcon flag combo with a chequered flag attached. The yanks are gonna love it - it's a big'n!

That's class! Will give the boys a lift seeing familiar faces.

BEST fans in the league!

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 11:49
I intend to be at least mildly drunk by kick off so the Sarries team doesn't frighten me one jot.
(Sm100)

Just look on the bright side, if we do somehow manage a win, and anything could happen, we will be rightly top of the pops of the table.

Now that will be a fine excuse for another sherbet.

15 September, 2017 11:51
Also I suppose that line up also puts the rumours about leaving star new signings to bed. Still no sign of Flood, DTH, Mermoz etc.

15 September, 2017 11:53
Quote:
aidanb
Quote:
Falcons_Thunder

Quote:
NorfolkFalcon

I get what you both mean, but our guys will surely be looking at themselves and fancy the chance to stuff it up them.

I like our side these days and I like the fact we are looking to take people on not survive against them. i.e. go out to win rather than go out not to get beaten

Yeah I get what you are saying but. Look at that sarries team I'm envious. 5lions in that team

aidanb (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 11:53
Quote:
Seany_Boy0511
From a Saracens fan, falcons have some very dangerous players in that squad, your confidence must be sky high, it's in a neutral venue, anything can happen, here's hoping for a positive impact and s good game, safe travels to those who have gone and may the best team win

you can keep your best team winning theory, I just want the Falcons to win (Sm91)

pityacker (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 12:06
That Saracens team would beat most national teams outside the top 3 or 4 .

Kath... (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 14:00
Just what is up with Flood? If this keeps up we will not get the monies worth from him, I hope he is not going to turn into a wilko always injuredconfused smiley

Falconski (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 14:18
You expect the club to tell you that lol

I had to ask a mate who plays for Westoe to find the crack re big Davie Wilson.

15 September, 2017 14:39
Hamstring strain.

Running Rugby (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 15:02
Good to see a bit of continuity from the Falcons, injuries or not. Looking forward to seeing Goneva in action from the start.
But, as mentioned, that is a hell of a Saracens side, and pretty much their first choice fifteen, going to be a really really tough game to get a result, but looking forward to seeing how far we have really come along.

telfs123 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 16:18
Last week Deano said 1-2 weeks for Flood. So hopefully next week

dick g (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 21:04
Quote:
pityacker
That Saracens team would beat most national teams outside the top 3 or 4 .

But not Bath.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
15 September, 2017 22:17
Sarries didn't start with such a strong team against Bath. Farrell only played the last few minutes if not mistaken and Billy Vunipola wasn't even in the team. Just those two add 25% to that Sarries team imo.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 08:59
Quote:
lizard118
Sarries didn't start with such a strong team against Bath. Farrell only played the last few minutes if not mistaken and Billy Vunipola wasn't even in the team. Just those two add 25% to that Sarries team imo.

Two absolutely world-class players there, to add to an already fantastic team.

Still, our team looks good too so we should be able to give Saracens a pretty good game, and in a 'cup final' scenario, who knows what might happen?

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 09:07
Quote:
Leipziger
.....who knows what might happen?

...especially if the fire alarm kept going off through the night.

I wonder if the Sarries team enjoyed their breakfast?

lizard118 (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 09:32
It's like the title winning season when we went toe to toe with Sarries for the title, all over again! Can only but dream.☺

lizard118 (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 10:06
[youtu.be]
This is the sort of rugby I want to see us playing tonight.
Play at pace like this then I think at least a losing bonus point can come our way.
I just wonder how fit Vunipola is? I can see him running out of juice due to lack of match fitness.
Quite looking forward to it, actually.
This game no dissing Sale and Worcester, will give us an accurate measurement of where we are as a team.
Challenges don't come harder than Sarries and Exeter as far as the AP is concerned, imo. Imagine the belief generated IF we won. I'd say the boys have arrived!

London Magpie (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 13:11
Dam hot over here in Philly. Had a choice of driving from London to watch the game at KP or fly to the States. I took the easy journey and booked a late flight. Come on you Falcons. And of course "Have a nice day"

falconbear (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 20:40
Hopefully we've flown over Justin the PA. He'd be well suited to fire up the American crowds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 16/09/2017 20:41 by falconbear.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 21:29
The stadium is empty. Why didn't they offer loads of free tickets to schools, etc etc.

I thought it was supposed to be a promotional game!

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 21:39
Issue is there is no interest. If people where interested they would turn up to watch. The stadium does look very empty like.

Mind you great to hear falcons in such fine voice. Can't hear the sarries lot!

DB23 (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 21:55
Looking forward to when we are a top four team and the referee (Doyle in particular) calls our players by their first name and referees the opposition only

16 September, 2017 22:03
Yeah, constantly hearing the falcons fans!! Great stuff.

I'd like to see us really try and take the ball to them a bit more. We're defending well, but we're putting ourselves under a lot of pressure. We'll concede more next half if we don't change it a little bit ....and I'm aware we're playing a top class side in Saracens.

16 September, 2017 22:20
Well as promotional games go...its not going to be gaining any new recruits from the major US sports!

Its woeful!

16 September, 2017 22:26
Our penalty count has been very high...most of it in key kickable areas. Farrell is having a field day.

We haven't taken the game to Sarries at all! Very disappointing.

16 September, 2017 22:50
Penalty try and yellow card!!!! Are you kidding me Doyle!!!! Never in a million years!

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 22:52
Quote:
GeordieFalcon
Penalty try and yellow card!!!! Are you kidding me Doyle!!!! Never in a million years!

He really is a "Doyle" for that. Goneva put his two hands out to catch it, no where near a deliberate knock down. Mind you, apart from that I think he's had a good game, we haven't threatened sarries at all errrrr cause we can't keep hold of the ball.

Lads can regroup and go again next week.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 22:54
Ryan Burrows on the radio reckons the yellow card and penalty try were fair. Sounds like we're being pretty outclassed.

16 September, 2017 22:55
And I still cant work out why JP SOcino has been dropped for Matavesi....

lizard118 (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 22:56
We've made too many schoolboy errors in dangerous positions. Agree with GF we haven't tested Sarries at all.

At 7-7 we looked competitive but just fallen away. And I don't think Sarries have been that good. We've basically gifted them the points.
These are the sort of games we could've done with the likes of Flood just to change things a little.

Seany_Boy0511 (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 23:07
Saracens were poor today, we (Sarries) were lucky that falcons were ill disciplined otherwise that could have been a completely different scoreline!maybe the whole fiasco of playing in America caused the issues, Falcons will no doubt improve and be a threat through out the season, very strong team you have and when Flood returns to add his experience you'll be in or around the top 6 come May, also I think Goneva was unlucky, very harsh call for JP Doyle there, best of luck for the rest of the season,

16 September, 2017 23:21
Matavesi had his best game so far, tought he looked good in defence and going forward in the limited opportunities. However I do understand the calls for Socino to be reinstated at 12. I'm sure he will get his call soon.

Frustrating game to watch. Silly penalties were the death of us. We clearly weren't confident with our handling and kept kicking away, understandable in the circumstances, yet no kick chase pressure was applied. This has been an issue for a long time. Overall disappointing and we now have our third away game in a row next week at Bath (no one could suggest that was a home game).

DB23 (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 23:35
We never looked like scoring, other than the interception try but it was always going to be difficult against that Saracens side.

Discipline wasn't good, and particularly dull from Will Welch who must have gifted 12 points.
Lineout misfired, as did Saracens' and there were handling errors from both sides.

Major plus for us was the defence which was excellent, well organised and committed.

I was against this exercise from the start (financial gain aside) and not convinced it has offered any benefit apart from the cash.

We cannot possibly be well-prepared for Bath next week after that trip. Probably won't affect Saracens too much as they could beat most teams playing at 70-80%.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
16 September, 2017 23:56
That was a very strong Sarries team and we denied them a bonus point. It could have been so much worse. All credit to the lads for a fantastic defensive effort, and what a fantastic experience for players such as Hammersley, Joel & Robinson. I would struggle to imagine that we would have taken any more from this game had it been played at KP, so let's move on to Bath, hopefully with some fresh players to give a rest to those who maybe need a week off after the adventure, and see if we can nudge a bit further up the table.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 07:30
Sarries had a side out that has won the last two European Champions Cup. They are a great team and had about six Lions playing last night but we gave them a tough game and our defence was superb.

JP Doyle was poor again, his folksy first name chats with the Sarries England stars is wrong headed and a misplaced imitation of the great Nigel Owens. Even though we gave some penalties away under pressure, the 12-5 penalty count against us in no way reflected the offending which was pretty much 50/50. On top of that giving a penalty try and a yellow card for Goneva's attempted two handed interception was a terrible decision.

Sarries deserved their victory and it was great to see Billy V back looking fresh and lasting 80 minutes. I don't think our American adventure has done us any harm and can't wait for our lads to get stuck into Bath.

Onward and Upward

Kath... (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 07:42
Quote:
Cantabrian
Sarries had a side out that has won the last two European Champions Cup. They are a great team and had about six Lions playing last night but we gave them a tough game and our defence was superb.
JP Doyle was poor again, his folksy first name chats with the Sarries England stars is wrong headed and a misplaced imitation of the great Nigel Owens. Even though we gave some penalties away under pressure, the 12-5 penalty count against us in no way reflected the offending which was pretty much 50/50. On top of that giving a penalty try and a yellow card for Goneva's attempted two handed interception was a terrible decision.

Sarries deserved their victory and it was great to see Billy V back looking fresh and lasting 80 minutes. I don't think our American adventure has done us any harm and can't wait for our lads to get stuck into Bath.

Onward and Upward

Agree 100%

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 08:28
It was always going to be a tough game, but I really did feel Falcons held there own in that game. smiling smiley

17 September, 2017 10:26
I agree 100% Cantabrian - and thank you to the Sarries fan - very gracious in victory. Disappointed we offered very little in attack though despite a sterling defence

Squawker2 (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 10:46
Cries of "New-Cas-Tle" were definitely dominant - , did you guys have lots of seriously dedicated fans who made the trip (who could act as cheer-leaders), or did the locals jump for you?

Shame we couldn't get more fans out, even by free ticket giving.

Your defence was rock-solid, rather glad that game was done in less than ideal circumstances for you rather than a tripwire back here in the UK.

In my rose-tinted glasses I did think it was more likely than not to be deliberate by Goneva, but I wonder whether it was just the higher team penalty count that led to JP jumping the way he did.

Speaking of JP, those of you watching on the TV (probably with a pair of binocluars), did you spot the JP-love fest the commentators were giving, that and the grass.

Cheers for the game smiling smiley

-----------------------------------------------------

Stuart Barnes is a Cock Womble

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 11:18
If Goneva's attempt had come off he would have been off down the pitch as a hero, but if you try that right on the try line you will risk a penalty try, and in the circumstances although it seems harsh I don't think Doyle had any choice.

I usually like Doyle but he was loving himself yesterday, and yes the commentators wore worshiping him a bit too much too. As for the grass, you'd think they had never seen the stuff before. Unless I was missing something it was just grass.

At least we were beaten by a Sarries team that were actually a pleasure to watch. Some of the attacking phases were sublime, and to see our lads coping with it was a pleasure too.

Thanks for the comments Squawker, maybe see you at AP, still not made it there yet so hope to put that right soon.

telfs123 (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 12:23
Whenever JP Doyle refs one of the big boys, the 50:50 decisions only ever go one way. Wasn't expecting anything different.

In better news, our defence has taken leaps forward- only 3 tries conceded (1 of them v Wuss was utter rubbish by TMO, as well as the dodgy penalty try-I think goneva wasn't really trying to catch the ball, but it hit him in the face. So he actually should have been allowed to pick it up and run).

The negatives- Hodgson again has shown he can't control a game, and can't run a backline against above average defences. Can't wait to see Flood in. Basic skills were dreadful for the 2nd game running.

Benpj17 (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 13:15
Thought the forwards had a good game, the back line had no ball to play with, Tane didn't have a good game his kicks were poor thought we played with a lot more pace when Stuart came on

Xanderman (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 13:22
Saracens were just too intense in their defence yesterday. I do think Sarries deserves to win 100% but let's be honest there were some pretty soft penalties given by JP Doyle. No way were they worth that lead in 3 pointers. Our defence has markedly improved which is good to see, the ball coming off Goneva's head would perhaps indicate that they shouldn't have been given a penalty try so really we've conceded 2 tries in 3 games.

I think sinoti was a liability in defence positional-wise, he seemed to be on the other side of the pitch half the time they were attacking down his channel. I'd start agulla over him next week if Tait is still missing.

All in all an expected result but can offer a reality check for the rest of the season.

17 September, 2017 13:42
It did make me smile when we were penalised for kicking the ball in the ruck yet Mako was only given a warning earlier for the same offence. To be fair they were playing advantage but he allowed play to continue despite that.

aidanb (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 15:24
Quote:
NorfolkFalcon
It did make me smile when we were penalised for kicking the ball in the ruck yet Mako was only given a warning earlier for the same offence. To be fair they were playing advantage but he allowed play to continue despite that.

It didn't make me smile.

We were penalised and punished. Mako was allowed to get away with it.
Regardless of the advantage being played it showed a two tier strategy

17 September, 2017 16:20
ok now that the america weekend is over and all round three matches are done lets look at things.
Falcons are 4th in the table 2 points from top.
money in the bank (hope the kp development goes ahead)
great team bonding trip if nothing else for the squad.
we still have players to come back who strengthen the team.
defence was awesome

still a happy fan

on wards and upwards

dick g (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 16:27
I'might with you, DTT. Our reflection, preventing Fezzies from a bonus point and only allowing them across our line once is not totally negative.

alchemist (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 18:24
Just sitting and reflecting before leaving the hotel here in Philly. I think the decision to get involved in this exercise was pragmatic and sound, if (when?) it takes off, the club can only benefit from a growing wave of awareness and participation over here. The travelling contingent have done a great job to ensure the club will held in high regard by US rugby, thanks in no small part to the efforts of those who spent the week coaching kids and their coaches across the wider region.
My US mates already want to come to KP for a game.

As far as the game goes, no-one should under-estimate the effect of the conditions - the humidity meant that the ball often didn't stick. It was a hard day at the office for all teams on the park. The penalty try shouldn't have been awarded - the ball came off Niki's head so he should have been allowed to carry on and score under the posts, making the score 14-22. In addition, one of Farrell's kicks looked like it drifted wide, so 14-19 would have given us the bonus point I think we deserved.

It's been an interesting weekend and perhaps Smithy can produce a full write-up explaining the positives and the possible longer term benefits.

Now I'll finish my burger and head home......

Oneforthefatboys (IP Logged)
17 September, 2017 19:36
We lacked ball carrying power, I d rather see latu 7 Wilson 6 fonua 8. I m not sure what the coaches see in Sean Robinson. Personally I think that witty cavubati and Olmstead are way better

18 September, 2017 09:39
We do lack carrying power at the moment - I thought that was why he got Burrows in and is Fonua injured or something?

aidanb (IP Logged)
19 September, 2017 21:17
I've just watched and re-watched the sarries opener

It was a set piece ball which they ran in with relative ease.

The only tackle made was Sin Sin on the sarries blind side winger who was the extra man in the move.

How was he the extra man? Our blind side winger was still inside the 15 metre line out line on the ring side of the field when they scored.

John Wells had better be looking at it.
At first I thought it was our full back not making a nuisance of himself but he was left with a two on 1 because our openside winger had to commit and take the extra man.

Fortunately we improved in defence from that point on.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
20 September, 2017 10:26
Quote:
Oneforthefatboys
We lacked ball carrying power, I d rather see latu 7 Wilson 6 fonua 8. I m not sure what the coaches see in Sean Robinson. Personally I think that witty cavubati and Olmstead are way better
Robinson has bags of energy and is like having an extra openside flanker. Obviously not as heavyweight as the others you mention but I think Robinson is about work rate and making a nuisance of himself.
Unfortunately, he hasn't been helped by a succession of injuries. But two years ago Robinson was getting glowing reports, until a spell of injuries.I personally rate him as he brings something different to the players you mentioned. He very much reminds me of Tom Croft. Obviously he's lighter to lift come lineout time too.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net