Latest news:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere any spamming will be deleted.

Next two matches

Saturday 21 September 2019 v Jersey Reds at Stade Santander International, 3.00pm (Cup)

Sunday 29 September 2019 v Doncaster Knights at Kingston Park, 3.00pm (Cup)

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: So was it worth it ?
bonnery 19 September, 2017 00:51
Forgive my ignorance - but what or where is this pot of gold everyone seems to be referring to coming from? I just don't see it.

I would understand if someone had attempted to put a projected value on potential new fans buying merchandise etc. but I cannot for the life of me see where any huge pots of cash alluded to could possibly come from with a spectacle and crowd that underwhelming. Doesn't make any sense to me.

London Irish in New York around St Patrick's Day was the original thinking, and made LOTS of sense. This was initially a deal London Irish struck but abandoned after their relegation. It was never a Prem Rugby initiative...they just went along for the ride.

Newcastle in Philapdelphia in mid September?? Bonkers.

Monkey1 19 September, 2017 07:17
Quote:
bonnery
Forgive my ignorance - but what or where is this pot of gold everyone seems to be referring to coming from? I just don't see it.

Premiership rugby on telly is big business over the pond, and that is driving sponsorship & other financial issues. Therefore there is pressure to play one game per season on American soil. The pot of gold as you put it is the large payment that our club demanded (quite rightly) as compensation for agreeing to the game.

As for London Irish being behind the NY game, I heard that it was dictated from above by the same people who wanted this game played.

aidanb 19 September, 2017 21:52
I've just remembered a moment late on which was worth it and was pure Ally Hogg class.

Our replacement front row of Mavinga, Socino and Davison were only just holding against Thompson-Stringer, Tolofua and Longbottom. (Incidentally Flats was full of love for Thompson-Stringer but also admiring of young Davison).

Then came that pure moment of Hogginess.

He scrum tilts a little and our number 8 was now going a little bit sideways towards our posts. Hogg held on and held on and then picked up, from that moment it looked a little bit hairy but he timed his movement and had the whole sarries back row go past him infield and he just glided through the gap and made ten + yards.

Loved the little cameo.

Kwa444 20 September, 2017 09:37
Ironically with the crowd size, I suspect the Falcons were actually the real winners from the game.

Sarries didn't end up any better off than they would have at KP. Their fans missed a trip North.

The broadcasters had a poor game with a low turnout. Not ideal for sponsors either. The Falcons perhaps dropped a point but walked away with a big payday.

falconbear 20 September, 2017 11:17
Quote:
Kwa444
Ironically with the crowd size, I suspect the Falcons were actually the real winners from the game.
Sarries didn't end up any better off than they would have at KP. Their fans missed a trip North.

The broadcasters had a poor game with a low turnout. Not ideal for sponsors either. The Falcons perhaps dropped a point but walked away with a big payday.

It will be interesting to see if we 'drop a point' this Saturday after the Philly adventure. Will the team be galvanized after, effectively, an American rugby tour. Or will they be jet lagged, tired and not really wanting to get on the coach to Barf?

lizard118 20 September, 2017 11:30
I think we should have gone straight to the west country from the US. It makes a lot of sense in terms of reducing travelling, and just having more time dedicated to training.

NorfolkFalcon 20 September, 2017 12:45
I doubt the players families would have appreciated them staying away for nearly another week.

markismith50 20 September, 2017 12:54
Not to mention the cost of accommodating and feeding the entire squad for an extra week, as well as paying for gym and training facilities.

Training and travel plans have been adjusted this week to account as best we can for the USA trip.

lizard118 20 September, 2017 15:56
But gives us more of a chance to get a result at the Rec, which improves our chances of getting in the top 6, which has the effect of bringing in more gate takings, which improves our finances. Thereby negating the above arguments😎

markismith50 20 September, 2017 16:07
If you're prepared to write the cheque Lizard I'm sure the management will be interested to accept your donation!

Sadly we don't have a bottomless budget for travel, accommodation, food, training venues and such like. Money that goes towards that has to come from another pot, and it's just not feasible to keep the guys on the road for another full week even if we wanted to (which I'm not entirely sure we do).

dick g 20 September, 2017 17:11
In the unlikely event of any of the players complain about travel and short turnaround remind them of the weekend when Doddie played for Scotland in Paris on Saturday and for the Falcons the following day.

Exiled Falcon 20 September, 2017 18:31
Sorry, I know I'm a bit late with this but just had an opportunity to watch the game in full with no interruptions, I actually thought it was a good spectacle and the lack of crowd didn't really detract from it. Maybe due to the excellent commentary. Just saying, so to speak!

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net