rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 15th December v Dragons at Rodney Parade, 7.30pm

Saturday 23rd December v Harlequins at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 52-24 Bordeaux-Begles

Falcons v Bath Sat 23 Sept
aidanb (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 10:28
15 Simon Hammersley

14 Vereniki Goneva

13 Chris Harris

12 Juan Pablo Socino

11 DTH van der Merwe

10 Craig Willis

9 Sonatane Takulua

1 Rob Vickers

2 Santiago Socino

3 Jon Welsh

4 Calum Green

5 Will Witty

6 Mark Wilson

7 Will Welch (captain)

8 Nili Latu

Replacements

16 Scott Lawson

17 Sami Mavinga

18 Trevor Davison

19 Sean Robinson

20 Ally Hogg

21 Sam Stuart

22 Joel Hodgson

23 Josh Matavesi

new starters

Re: Falcons v Bath Sat 23 Sept
lizard118 (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 10:38
Nice to see Willis starting and also Willis and the two Socinos. C'mon Falcons!!

lizard118 (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 10:40
Excited to see DTH! Him and Goneva will tear it up given ball. Excited!

aidanb (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 10:57
that is close to our best back line - with Sin Sin, tait and Flood in the 23 it would be there

Running Rugby (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 11:14
Looking forward to seeing Willis and Socino junior in the side, against a very strong Bath side.

Have said for a while that Willis is the future of this club at ten, and although Hodgson has been excellent so far, look forward to seeing what Willis can do.

What has happened to Callum Chick, is he injured?

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 11:20
That's a team I like the look of, nice to see DTH in finally. smiling smiley

aidanb (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 11:34
Quote:
Running Rugby
Looking forward to seeing Willis and Socino junior in the side, against a very strong Bath side.
Have said for a while that Willis is the future of this club at ten, and although Hodgson has been excellent so far, look forward to seeing what Willis can do.

What has happened to Callum Chick, is he injured?

he had a moon boot on last Sat night

exhooker (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 11:37
With Rokoduguni for Bath we need strong wings.

pityacker (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 11:39
What’s happened to Maxime Mermoz he wasn’t injured when he adsconded to France for a couple of weeks and he was on the plane to the USA but not even on the bench.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 11:43
RR, Chicky went off with an injury early on against Sale.

Pityacker, Max travelled to the USA but suffered some sickness while he was over there, and barely trained during the week.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 11:43
Mermoz was going to play our last friendly against Edinburgh but went back to France for personal reasons. Now he is back has he picked up an injury? I expected him to be our starting 13 over Harris this season.

Sincerely hope that Flood is available for the London Irish game.

I'd have Tait over Hammersley when the former is available again, with Goneva and DTH on the wings with Sinoti on the bench for impact.

pityacker (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 11:52
Quote:
markismith50
RR, Chicky went off with an injury early on against Sale.
Pityacker, Max travelled to the USA but suffered some sickness while he was over there, and barely trained during the week.
Thanks for that Smithy like a lot of fans have been looking forward to seeing the classy Mermoz start in the league but for one reason or another he hasn’t so perhaps next week.

eastfalcon (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 12:06
Bath Rugby team to face Newcastle Falcons

15. Freddie Burns

14. Semesa Rokoduguni

13. Jonathan Joseph

12. Max Clark

11. Matt Banahan

10. Rhys Priestland

9. Chris Cook

1. Nick Auterac

2. Jack Walker

3. Anthony Perenise

4. Luke Charteris

5. Elliott Stooke

6. Charlie Ewels

7. Francois Louw (c)

8. Paul Grant

Replacements

16. Tom Dunn

17. Beno Obano

18. Scott Andrews

19. James Phillips

20. Zach Mercer

21. Darren Allinson

22. Ben Tapuai

23. Aled Brew

Onwards and Upwards!

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 12:17
Quote:
markismith50
Max travelled to the USA but suffered some sickness while he was over there...

If you go from eating French food to eating American food, well it's just going to happen.

Kath... (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 14:40
any news on the Flood Hamstring???

markismith50 (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 15:21
Hi Kath, the team to play London Irish will be named on Thursday of next week. We're not going to aid London Irish's or any other team's preparation by telling them which players may or may not be involved in the game until we absolutely have to.

Cheers
Smithy

aidanb (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 15:50
Quote:
Kath...

it would appear his Ham is still strung

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 16:48
The main thing I want to see from this game is be aggressive and actually go at Bath hard and attack!

Despite the wins I've seen barely any of that so far...

Kath... (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 17:55
MARK I only asked of news re the Flood hamstring not sure where all this came from?confused smiley

markismith50 (
22 September, 2017 15:21

Hi Kath, the team to play London Irish will be named on Thursday of next week. We're not going to aid London Irish's or any other team's preparation by telling them which players may or may not be involved in the game until we absolutely have to.

Cheers
Smithy

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
22 September, 2017 18:30
Quote:
aidanb
Quote:
Kath...

it would appear his Ham is still strung

Or maybe not, hence Mark's post.

Deano likes to keep them guessing, which is a pain in the rear for we supporters, but if Deano believes it might sometimes help, even a little bit, then I will go along with that.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 07:18
I hope we can use last seasons performance at Bath as an extra incentive to get points today. Bath and Quins away both up there as the worst performances of last season.

DJMc (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 07:25
This is just my opinion but I think all this secret squirrel stuff about player availability is just stuff and nonsense. I don't suppose Dean Richards gave any thoughts or adjusted the team selection to the fact that Bath may possibly play Rhys Priestland at flyhalf and Freddie Burns at full back ( as they are), he would have made his selection by deciding who is fit, who needs a rest and who did well in training. Like wise the Bath coaching set up in all probability didn't waste much time thinking as to whether Toby Flood or Maxime Mermoze are playing or not. As the saying goes " you can only play what's in front of you" so teams should be going out with a plan to play in a way and style suited to the team selection and then look to impose that plan regardless of who is playing for the opposition.

trummy200 (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 09:29
Deano used to like a game of poker so maybe its in his physic to keep his cards close to his chest!

aidanb (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 09:33
Quote:
DJMc
This is just my opinion but I think all this secret squirrel stuff about player availability is just stuff and nonsense. I don't suppose Dean Richards gave any thoughts or adjusted the team selection to the fact that Bath may possibly play Rhys Priestland at flyhalf and Freddie Burns at full back ( as they are), he would have made his selection by deciding who is fit, who needs a rest and who did well in training. Like wise the Bath coaching set up in all probability didn't waste much time thinking as to whether Toby Flood or Maxime Mermoze are playing or not. As the saying goes " you can only play what's in front of you" so teams should be going out with a plan to play in a way and style suited to the team selection and then look to impose that plan regardless of who is playing for the opposition.

That works well to an extent
But the top teams also have plans for individual players.

This is anecdotal and a bit comedic but the truth is also in there

The players know everything about their oppo and thus set up in particular ways against certain people.

Have a look at Dean I explaining it here.

[youtu.be]

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 11:11
Back on the game. It's gonna be a hard bruising contest. We need to secure our break downs with the likes of lowe sniffing around. And it's also a big marker for Willis to prove how good he is. COYF

trummy200 (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 11:22
Good cover for 10 on the bench if he struggles

AJfalc (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 14:27
19 - 0 up after 30 minutes, excellent start, Bath hit back with a Banahan try

aidanb (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 14:39
Cracking half of Rugby

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 14:58
And then it all went to pot.
(Sm10)

DJMc (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 15:09
Sounds like the usual sleepy start to the second half.

alnwickfalcon (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 15:21
A tale of two half’s first have we held our own played well through the hands and took our chances. Bath looked very dangerous ball in hand.

Second half simply fell apart poor discipline and gave away stupid penalties. Bath took their chances.

Any chance of winning this game has gone. I hope we can get a 4th try as we deserve something from this game. Bath will get another 1-2 Try’s with 17 minutes left in this.

This is why we we are outsiders for top 6 and will struggle to get there as the top teams when 0-19 up are able to close games out and be sensible in decision making.

On to next week and a massive game vs Irish.

23 September, 2017 15:34
JPS dots down but it’s a knock on on the build up. I take my previous post back we’ve dug in here this is an open game. Come on boys 5 mins to go.

23 September, 2017 15:38
We lead 32-33 three minutes to go

23 September, 2017 15:42
WINNERS!

lizard118 (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 15:42
What a game!

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 15:44
Outstanding effort by the whole 23. COYF

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/09/2017 15:44 by Falcons_Thunder.

aidanb (IP Logged)
I would hate to have called that game at any point

Even to the final kick we could have lost it

What a game of rugby

davietoon (IP Logged)
Wow what a game. Bonus point win away to Bath feckin outstanding Falcons.

23 September, 2017 15:45
Get in you little beauties!!!!

All i asked for before the game was to actually get at bath and play some attacking rugby...and they answered me.

Yes they're going to make mistakes playing that kind of game but by god when it came off some of the play was simply outstanding!!!!

Great win!! Very proud.

And through all the attacking play..Mark Wilson yet again was a warrior / workhorse / tackle machine / try scorer...what ever you want to call him! Will go down as one of the falcon greats....

23 September, 2017 15:45
I put the hex on Bath brilliant that’s simply unbelievable I take it all back im glad I look foolish from my previous posts. That last 10 minuets shows a never say die attitude. I thought Bath would run away with it. Our finishers for the bench made that game Davision brilliant Mavinga came on made a difference. A great away win.

rubyrhone (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 15:50
Just coming up for air! Nearly missed my station. Well done lads especially Bath at home and

Osric (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 15:52
I think that's been a good day at the office. More than the Wuss and even the Sale result, that's a massive statement and marker of progress. Yippee!

Northumbrian (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 15:53
Outstanding, and the Falcons are still unbeaten on English soil!

DB23 (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 15:53
What a result, and coming back 32-19 down too after leading 19-0.

Wow, just ridiculous!

trummy200 (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 15:57
Going to take a dive in the prediction league but what the hell- listening to it on the radio seems the bench turned it around. Look forward to watching it on Prem rugby site.

Xanderman (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 16:01
Can't believe it what an absolute humdinger!

lizard118 (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 16:03
What an advert for AP rugby. I'd have been happy with losing bonus points in the end but these boys dont know the meaning of giving up! Well done all.

Kath... (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 16:05
Well then that is just fan-dazzy-dozy

Thank You Falcons you are STARS xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx replacements: xxxxxxxhot smiley

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 16:27
Superb

A tramp abroad (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 19:01
Quote:
trummy200
Going to take a dive in the prediction league but what the hell

Me too but, as you say, what the hell!

Neale Harvey (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 19:07
Had Wilson down as my Rugby Paper star man today... glad Geordie falcon agreed!

London Magpie (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 00:37
Alnwick Falc shame on you. The Craster fan at the game never gave up in that last 15 mins and shouted support for our boys. Did I beli5we could win, no. But all the Bath fans around me were worried. Driving home to London was brilliant. First time I have seen our boys play with so much passion. Looking forward to Exeter away now. The boys done us proud today.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 08:06
Quote:
London Magpie
Looking forward to Exeter away now.....

I don't believe that has ever been said before, not in the whole history of time.

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 09:23
Hahaha! Absolutely brilliant.

Just got back from a weekend away. When I looked at me twitter I had to pinch myself, jumping up n down like a big kid!

See you at KP one last time till next year this Friday!

Let's make the south stand bounce!

Which Tyler (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 09:48
Just visiting to say - well played Falcons, excellent game of rugby, and what you did to our fringe defence was just brutal - please at least use Vaseline next time, it's just good manners!

For my money the big turning point was when we (Bath) went for the corner around 58 minutes whilst 13 up. I felt that 3 points there would push the advantage to 3 scores, whilst a try would have done exactly the same. With 22 minutes to go you guys were ripping through our defence far too easily to ever think that 13 points was a safe lead.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 10:37
Thanks WT, Pleased that we gave you a good game right to the final whistle.

24 September, 2017 10:47
Quote:
Neale Harvey
Had Wilson down as my Rugby Paper star man today... glad Geordie falcon agreed!

The guy is just immense!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net