rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Sunday 29th October v Leicester Tigers at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Saturday 4th November v Wasps at Ricoh Arena, 3.00pm (Anglo Welsh)

Last result: Bordeaux Begles 20-21 Newcastle Falcons

Bath v Falcons result!
AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 16:56
Thoughts on that cracking result then?. smiling smiley

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 23/09/2017 17:15 by Monkey1.

Re: Bath 32-33 Falcons!
trummy200 (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 17:04
Only yesterday read a prediction by Flatman that the Falcs could be relegation candidates!
Do we need the 'Pundits'?
Great win - The management must take some credit for managing the squad so well!

alas (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 17:10
Maybe he'll have Bath down as a relegation candidate now, although they did scrape 2 bonus points.

aidanb (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 17:11
Quote:
trummy200
Only yesterday read a prediction by Flatman that the Falcs could be relegation candidates!
Do we need the 'Pundits'?
Great win - The management must take some credit for managing the squad so well!

Where was that cos whenever Iíve heard him on radio or tv heís been saying we are an outsider for top 6

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 17:14
I like Flatman and I would be surprised if he did say that, he usually praises us on the Premiership highlight show. smiling smiley

Horus (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 17:14
To blow a 0-19 lead after 30 minutes, then to to be under the Barf cosh for most of the second half and to be way off a LBP and then to recover to score twice (not forgetting Joel's last conversion), an d play some attractive rugby, tells us what a great team we all support.

Re: Bath v Falcons result!
Monkey1 (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 17:16
I change the title AF in case some poor sod who is trying to avoid the score is stupid enough to look on the message board.

Yup, done that.
(Sm100)

Bris nut (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 17:17
Thanks guys !!
Lots of B&@" support where I work
Looking forward to Monday for once !
Hopefully see you all next year
Best of luck for rest of the season

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 17:17
Simply Brilliant. What a comeback! 2nd in the league entirely on merit. Spirits in the camp must be soaring. Woohoo!!

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 17:25
Can't wait for the highlights - according to the beeb report we just missed out on two more, one a foot in touch and the other a knock-on. I guess the next step is not to lose a 19 point lead if possible.

trummy200 (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 17:27
Cannot find it- If I have been dreaming then I will unreservedly apologise to Mr Flatman.
Other than that could I have picked up on an article a year old?

dick g (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 17:35
Hope nobody pinches me. I don't want to wake up. 2nd!

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 17:51
Anyone who was there - what happened to our defence? It's been miserly before today

Pinhoe_Chief (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 18:04
Congrats from Exeter.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 18:56
I followed the game on Twitter in Menorca, the folk in the bar must have thought the wife & I were daft
Great result but we made it hard for ourselves. Looking forward to the highlights show

Clyst Colt Chief (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 19:03
Too right Pinhoe -

Well Done buhys - I remember our first Premiership win there last year - Enjoy Falcons ....looking forward to highlights too Falc Dancer

"Get on Exe"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/09/2017 19:04 by Clyst Colt Chief.

too_tall_to_tackle (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 19:10
My First Falcons game of the season in the flesh and it was epic. The offloading from the falcons was out of this world. Many bath supporters around me were saying Newcastle were there second favourite team after that performance.

As for the defence I think it all just went with momentum with us falling off tackles at the start of the second half and bath In the first half.

Showed mighty character coming back at the end and some cracking tries!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/09/2017 19:11 by too_tall_to_tackle.

DeceptivePace (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 19:47
Well done to all the boys and the backroom staff but a particular pat on the back for Dave Walder. To see comments from Bath fans about the quality of passing, the offloading and the superior level of fitness makes very pleasant reading. Here's to a fair crack of the whip re injuries and the continuation of the self belief. This team could be the next Geordie Entertainers in the Keegan style.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 19:55
Quote:
Monkey1
I change the title AF in case some poor sod who is trying to avoid the score is stupid enough to look on the message board.
Yup, done that.
(Sm100)

Yeah just thought sorry about that thanks. smiling smiley

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 20:07
We find ourself in somewhat unchartered territory. Are we as good as we hope? Or luckier than we think? Having been sat at Bath last year watching us get thumped , today at the ground was very pleasant .
The even more curious bit is that we have now beaten Bath at home and we do t even have the likes of flood playing . How good could we be?

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 20:17
Quote:
Rafpilot2000
The even more curious bit is that we have now beaten Bath at home and we do t even have the likes of flood playing . How good could we be?

Just remember that as Flood comes back, somebody else will go off crocked. I wonder if any Prem club ever gets to field its best ideal team?

Right, that's enough of this sober nonsense, time to celebrate.

aidanb (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 20:45
Quote:
Rafpilot2000
We find ourself in somewhat unchartered territory. Are we as good as we hope? Or luckier than we think? Having been sat at Bath last year watching us get thumped , today at the ground was very pleasant .

Who is this Flood fella, heís not needed.

He hasnít passed a ball in anger and we are three wins in.

Look at that outside boot from Willis for one of the tries. Pure brilliance.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 23/09/2017 20:46 by aidanb.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 20:56
Been at work all day - went on my break and we were 19-0 up, by the time I started again we were 32-19 down!

So when I left at 8pm, I thought I'd just look at Twitter and see the final result - and drove home feeling pretty high!

Well done to all the squad and management, to think many people thought this game would be a write-off after Philly :-)

Leipziger (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 20:57
Just looked at the table, we're second and won't be any lower than third after the weekend's games. Good times.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 21:17
I think it was mentioned in another thread that flood should have to earn his place , even given his pedigree.
It just unknown territory at present. Normally when you watch the Falcons you do it nervously, always expecting us to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. Now it's almost pleasurable!!

Robs (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 21:49
Just watched the highlights on BT Sport. Tell me, what is the tv producers fixation with Bruce Craig all about? The camera panned to him and his buddy ( Mr Hoover ?) on no fewer than 6 occasions in a 15 minute broadcast.
I wonder also if the commentator is a Bath fan. His excitement whenever Bath scored was palpable whilst his comments about our comeback tries were somewhat muted

saintsfella (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 21:55
Congrats guys- brilliant effort and you're looking like a cracking outfit this season building on last.

trummy200 (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 22:14
I made the same observation about bt sport and hoover man and his mate last season. Obviously things have not changed

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 23:19
My thoughts also Robs on BC....but hey that's why I love our Semores approach of not liking the limelight and just quietly working away in the background.

Let's all enjoy the moment, praise everyone's sheer hard graft and determination to make our club successful, whilst also not getting ahead of ourselves.

There is an awful lot of rugby to be played but this group appear to be very grounded and I get a great sense of togetherness.

All the other teams appear to constantly bemoan their injury list but let's not forget we still have a fair few missing.....but collectively this is the best squad we've had for years.

It's going to be an interesting season.

alas (IP Logged)
23 September, 2017 23:27
It was good to Craig and Dyson sucking on lemons on the highlights. Some excellent offloading from the Falcons.

bg (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 00:29
Wasps fan comes in peace - Brilliant game and well done to the Falcons ... you thoroughly deserve your position in the league

Robs (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 00:33
Quote:
Wensleydale Falcon
My thoughts also Robs on BC....but hey that's why I love our Semores approach of not liking the limelight and just quietly working away in the background.
Let's all enjoy the moment, praise everyone's sheer hard graft and determination to make our club successful, whilst also not getting ahead of ourselves.

There is an awful lot of rugby to be played but this group appear to be very grounded and I get a great sense of togetherness.

All the other teams appear to constantly bemoan their injury list but let's not forget we still have a fair few missing.....but collectively this is the best squad we've had for years.

It's going to be an interesting season.
Spot on WF
We have a patron to be proud of.
And I think it's fantastic that he avoids the spotlight. Let's make sure that we respect his "anonymity" and leave it to those that seek it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/09/2017 00:40 by Robs.

London Magpie (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 01:25
Great game today. Took my Sarrie mate and with 15 mins to go he was chanting for the Falcons. All the Bath fans around me shook my hand after the game. They all stated how hard we played and never gave up. They were great in defeat. I spoke to Flats at length in the pub after the Philly game. He had nothing but praise for us despite our loss. And like me he agreed Doyle was very poor. I am an away fan so cannot wait for Exeter. Great today. Never seen the Falcons play like this. Hope you lot up home turn up in numbers next Friday. The boys deserve it. Come on you Falcons

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 02:22
Great result. Well deserved. I thought Santiago was awesome in the loose with incredible offloading skills, if he sorts his darts out he could be a cracking hooker. I personally wouldn't bring flood back till he's 110% with the luxury of having Irish at home next week and a really hard game down at sandy park the week after why risk him. It's gonna be a long hard season. I'll be curious to see if deano will have a crack this season at the challenge cup (been really disappointed that we haven't taken the competition seriously before under deano)

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 06:58
Wow, I never expected us to put on that type of performance yesterday. Thought the long haul travel might have caught up on us but it seemed that the trip had a positive effect on our game (I am eating humble pie). The offloading on show was absolutely sublime. Who would have expected Socino junior in his first full start to be making that type of offload!? Just goes to show that the coaching staff allow this group of players to play the game with freedom. Most importantly they all look like they are enjoying their rugby which only breeds expansive, attacking rugby. I said it would be a perfect birthday if the Falcons managed to pick up 4 points, but a Newcastle Falcons training top, matchday programme vs Worcester and 5 points later I couldn't have asked for anything more.

Got to credit Deano on selecting Craig Willis. No one can deny his talent but was still surprised to see his name in the starting 15 but that kick for the DTH try using the outside of his boot was pure geniius. Well done to the lad for taking his chance. With a mentor like Flood, our fly halves can only get better.

Roll on London Irish. Deano and the coaching staff will keep the lads grounded and we clearly have some areas that we still need to work on for this game.

pa8 (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 07:15
The increased fitness levels are working wonders, always someone on the shoulder to take the offloads. The Bath supporters around me were stunned at our comeback and one or two 'wish we played like this' comments, great to hear after last year's result down there. Still work to be done on the scrummaging but on the whole a great performance. Thought Chris Harris was outstanding.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 08:44
Who would you pick then considering Santiago Socino sounded like he had a good game him or Cooper?. smiling smiley

pa8 (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 09:27
Socino was superb around the field, an offloading hooker at the Falcons ! However I personally would go for Cooper's added bulk in the scrum.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 10:13
I second that Pa8. Can't wait to re-watch the game on premiership rugby later. I'm still grinning like a Cheshire cat!

lizard118 (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 10:15
I think we need to start with Mavinga, who stood up well against the Bath scrum, Cooper and Welsh. I can see Irish targeting our scrum.

24 September, 2017 19:51
Finally got round to watching the full match highlights.

I can definitely see why Mark Wilson was selected as man of the match. He is an absolute warrior (firstly, we've known that for a few years and secondly he isn't a Worcester player). Complete all around performance; scored the winning try, high volume of tackles, line breaks, offloads and a few vital turnovers. He looked like a player who was motivated to put his name back into the forefront of the England selectors. Keep playing like that Mark and it won't take them long to realise you need to be a permanent fixture in the England squad. Outstanding.

Chris Harris had a very good game. Ran good lines, brilliant link up play, gained lots of metres, solid defensively and scored the penultimate try. Can't see how Mermoz and Matavesi will be picked ahead of JPS and Harris for Friday.

Stuart looked lively when he came on, Latu was industrious, DTH looked assured in his brief touches, Welch had a great game (was good to see him make metres).

Only slight concern might be the scrum at the start of the second half. It got demolished on a couple of occasions. Vickers and Welsh have played lots of minutes. I hope they can last until Exeter and they are given a rest for the cup. Still areas to improve but that performance sets us up nicely against Irish who should not be underestimated.

I'd have taken 3 wins out of the first 6 at the start of the season but we have a real opportunity to kick on now.

helmet (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 21:07
brilliant weekend in bath topped off with watching a fantastic game of rugby. incredible effort from the whole team and to pick out individuals would be harsh on the rest of the squad. we looked dead and buried midway through the 2nd haif and to put in that finish after the less than ideal weeks preparation shows the character of the lads. was extremely proud leaving the rec yesterday having witnessed a very special falcons performance and just hope they get a big vocal crowd out for irish on Friday night because after yesterdays efforts they deserve it

aidanb (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 07:48
In sure Iíve seen someone else mention it but if not

Thought Welsh was excellent after the Wilson try when he grabbed Green and told him to shut his pipe. I got the feeling he made sure we didnít get a try overturned.

I am starting to warn to Green where previously I didnít see much in his game other than the odd bit of thuggery but this season heís making me see him in a better light.

We havenít seen the Grizzly Adams this season so far yet we also havenít particularly missed him which is odd and also good news because he will be chomping at the bit to get stuck in when he does get on.

25 September, 2017 07:57
Olmstead is definitely available as he has travelled with most of the squad. Like with most of our squad, I'm sure they are being told to be patient as the amount of injuries in the game means most squad players are likely to get game time and we have got cup games soon.

Was surprised that Glen Young hasn't featured as he started most (if not all) friendlies alongside Witty. Again, I'm sure he will get his opportunity.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 10:03
We're well stocked in the second row, with the likes of Davidson also on the books. Would like some Fringe players like Uzokwe, Radwan and dare I say, Kibirige, in the European games.
What's going on with Kibirige anyway? Out of favour? Is he not kicking on? Appears to be a peripheral figure at the club. Been touted as one of our good prospects for a while but so far no movement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/09/2017 10:17 by lizard118.

Trebor1892 (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 10:22
Quote:
lizard118
We're well stocked in the second row, with the likes of Davidson also on the books. Would like some Fringe players like Uzokwe, Radwan and dare I say, Kibirige, in the European games.
What's going on with Kibirige anyway? Out of favour? Is he not kicking on? Appears to be a peripheral figure at the club. Been touted as one of our good prospects for a while but so far no movement.

Zach is playing in the A game tonight

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 10:33
Quote:
aidanb
In sure Iíve seen someone else mention it but if not
Thought Welsh was excellent after the Wilson try when he grabbed Green and told him to shut his pipe. I got the feeling he made sure we didnít get a try overturned.

I am starting to warn to Green where previously I didnít see much in his game other than the odd bit of thuggery but this season heís making me see him in a better light.

We havenít seen the Grizzly Adams this season so far yet we also havenít particularly missed
him which is odd and also good news because he will be chomping at the bit to get stuck in when he does get on.

I saw that at the end Aidan B, I think their hooker Tom Dunn had done something in the ruck to try and get Green to react, but Welch knowing a lot was at stake just pulled him away and said something along the lines of "oi Greeno! Greeno oi keep your fecking head screwed on" literally pulling him away, Green looked like he wanted to have a scrap.

The discipline we shown in defence at the end was phenomenal.

How good was Chris Harris in defence again as well as attack!? I thought he had the better of Joesph, who at times got caught out in defence and looked tired.

pa8 (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 11:28
Harris was my MOM, outstanding performance. It might be my eyes but why was his try disallowed, the replay, to me, showed Witty passing it back in the tackle, picked up first time by Chris and try under the post ?

lizard118 (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 11:43
Tom Dunn is a wind up merchant it would appear. Here us a clip of him headbutting the Newport Dragons hooker in a preseason exercise drill a month ago. [www.nzherald.co.nz]

aidanb (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 12:21
Quote:
pa8
Harris was my MOM, outstanding performance. It might be my eyes but why was his try disallowed, the replay, to me, showed Witty passing it back in the tackle, picked up first time by Chris and try under the post ?

will witty managed to roll it along the floor before picking it up

pa8 (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 15:34
Ah right, cheers Aidan, must watch more closely.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 15:45
And didn't Craig Willis do an excellent job for his first start! Other than that Takulua won't thank him for that pass which resulted in a Bath try, and injury to him (Takulua).
The chap is a maverick and such an exciting talent, but he needs to understand sometimes you just need to clear your lines!

25 September, 2017 15:50
If Owen Farrell or George Ford had put a grubber kick in like Willis did for the DT try in the corner the pundits and press would have been all over it......the skill factor of that was outstanding!!

lizard118 (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 16:14
Too true Wendslydale!. That's a natural footballing skill. He made it look easy with the connection and execution of it. Not an easy skill putting the right weight and spin on it. A thing of sublime beauty!

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 11:21

Callum is by far our best lock at the club, and I heard he's one of the first names on deano steam sheet.

26 September, 2017 11:39
I would guess that Callum has been one of the first names on the team sheet for a few seasons now.....he has been a very consistent performer for us and always puts in a great shift. Although as you say FT he did get a little to involved in the fisty cuffs in the early days.Has matured into a top premiership player now!

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 12:48
Calum Green has been one of the first names on the teamsheet since he arrived. He was already earmarked for great things when he came through at Leicester but got a nasty injury which halted his progression and he was moved on to Leeds.

Fortunately Dean can spot a player and has worked him back brilliantly.

He does the nitty gritty stuff that's so important , but to a high standard.

He's also a top lineout operator...

We have a host of genuine quality locks now. We could put out a number of different conbinations and they would all be very strong.

...and don't forget the kids coming through like Max Davies etc.

I think Will Welch and Mark Wilson are other similar players!

lizard118 (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 12:55
Green is our enforcer! Every team needs a Green type player and he's unique amongst our stock of locks. So not surprised if he's picked first.

26 September, 2017 13:29
He's a great lock, a fellow Norfolkian and Norwich fan. Top man.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 13:54
I think Witty is coming on...but he needs to learn to become an enforcer as well (if you can do that) . He's a huge lump now and he needs to learn from Green and dominate games.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 17:27
Quote:
Falcons_Thunder
Callum is by far our best lock at the club, and I heard he's one of the first names on deano steam sheet.

He looks like a guy who enjoys a good spa day.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net