rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 24th November v Gloucester at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Friday 1st December v Northampton Saints at Franklin's Gardens, 7.45pm

Last result: Wasps 40-10 Newcastle Falcons

'The Chopper'
falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 10:40
Just watching the match replay. How good is Juans brother Santi Socino!?

He was only playing for Hull Ionions at NAT 2 level a couple of seasons ago.

Very effective in the tackle, literally chops anyone who runs at him, brilliant angles of running like his brother Juan.

And a high work rate , plenty of carries, sublime offloading too. A diamond in the rough!

Willis pulled some brilliant offloads out the bag too.

Fantastic

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 24/09/2017 10:53 by falconsfan07.

Re: 'The Chopper'
GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 10:44
And he was a flanker that they turned into a hooked I believe ..

pityacker (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 10:51
Santiago Socino was a revelation to watch running lines and offloading like a back and as already said defending really well , another who is impressing me more each time he plays is Sam Stuart , a different type of player to the excellent Tane Takulua he brings real energy and pace into the game and if he continues like this could be a real find.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 11:21
Can't believe he is 114 kg as well. smiling smiley

falconsfan07 (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 11:24
Quote:
AFalcon23
Can't believe he is 114 kg as well. smiling smiley

Blimey, he balances that out well doesn't he

pa8 (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 11:36
The offy has his weight as 114kg and Sami Mavinga as 115kg ! Either Sami's been on one leg or he's added his toe to Santi's scales when he wasn't looking.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
24 September, 2017 12:01
The Chopper, I like it. That could stick as his nickname. Hope I get to see him play on Friday.

As for Mermoz, he was referred to in the Bath preview as Frog on the Tyne.
(Sm22)

aidanb (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 06:33
The chopper certainly was a top performer on Saturday.

Thatís 4 good hookers in the club

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 14:13
Had a long chat with Santi last season and what impressed me most was his "DESIRE" to work hard, learn from others and push hard for a first team start.

A young guy with not just a lot of talent but also a spot on attitude.

Absolutely delighted for him!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 25/09/2017 14:46 by Wensleydale Falcon.

eastfalcon (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 14:22
Santi and Will Welch in Chris Foy's team of the weekend in the Daily Mail today. smiling smiley

Onwards and Upwards!

alas (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 16:31
They are also in the Times' team of the week.

Osric (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 17:38
And Santiago is in the Telegraph too alongside Craig Willis and Mark Wilson.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 18:44
Quite a bit of national media interest this week.

The Telegraph have interviewed DTH today

The Times are speaking to Wells, Welch and Walder on Wednesday (all the Ws!)

The Mail are meeting Deano and Mark Wilson

BT were up today speaking to Wilson, Deano and Wardy

The Rugby Paper have a piece with Mark Wilson and Chris Harris in their next edition

Bobby Vickers was live on BBC Newcastle's sports show tonight

Mark Wilson has spoken to the Carlisle paper today

Shame the Chronicle website now has a stated policy of no rugby at all on its website (sadly a true story) but there'll still be stuff in the print versions.

Plus, we've got a cracking match programme lined up on Friday. Will Witty is the main interview, but it's worth buying just to read Harrison Orr's piece with Dave Walder. Absolute journalistic gold!

Cheers
Smithy

aidanb (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 19:49
Any idea why the chronicle has that policy ?

markismith50 (IP Logged)
25 September, 2017 21:05
I'm speaking to them tomorrow Aidan, it seems insane to me.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 08:35
I second that Smithy, especially with the team going well.

dick g (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 18:18
The Falcons has its best start for years and the Chronic can't be bothered to report it on its website? Shows just how bad the city's press has become. We can recall fondly the golden age when ex-Gosforth and Scotland hooked Duncan Madden covered rugby for the Evening Chronicle and Alan Henley did the same for The Journal. Sad times. I feel quite sorry for Smithy trying to cope with the situation.

Robs (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 18:29
Madsen

Robs (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 18:31
And Hedley I think

markismith50 (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 19:02
Sadly it's true, they now have a policy of only NUFC and SAFC on their website barring "exceptional circumstances". They won't attend our press conferences from now on either, apparently.

For once I am lost for words.

Far be it from me to suggest people contact regional managing editor Darren Thwaites to complain. No point contacting the sports desk, they are just carrying out orders from above.

dick g (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 19:33
Quote:
Robs
And Hedley I think

OK. Dodgy digits and infuriating spellcheck. Sorry people.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 19:36
Hedders is still a regular in the KP press box for PA news wire and freelancing for the nationals. Top fella.

dick g (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 19:51
Thanks for Hedley update, Smithy. Give him my regards. How about the SupportersClub organising a petition on Friday? With a suitable announcement from my favourite Shouty Man and volunteers with petitions at the exits, quite a few signatures could be gathered to present to Mr Thwaite.

aidanb (IP Logged)
26 September, 2017 21:58
Why donít we just boycott their paper altogether

Let them have their own medicine

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 06:09
Quote:
aidanb
Why donít we just boycott their paper altogether
Let them have their own medicine

Agreed, and I have already done so. Out of principle I haven't bought a Journal or Chronic for a very long time, and I certainly won't click on their web offerings.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 06:51
What about an electrical petition and we can all spread the word? Would get a wider audience.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 07:17
Why bother? Use them for what they do best - as linings for small pet @#$%& trays...

You can't honestly say you buy them for their sports reporting since Smithy left can you?!

The word blanked out by the way was a generic description for hamsters/rats etc which rhymes with podent! It's a funny old censorship being applied....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 27/09/2017 16:16 by Kwa444.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 12:23
Can't the club get this mentioned on local T.V. coverage? Name and shame?

cumbrian_falcon (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 12:59
Its alright complaining but how many people regularly buy the chronicle or the journal. I cant remember buying it in the last five years. I use to go on the website when smithy would link the articles on here but I doubt that generated much revenue for them. By focusing on the two main sports sides in the region that will generate sales or sufficient clicks to the website. I agree its a shame but it probably is not worth the cost of employing a reporter to cover these sports.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
27 September, 2017 13:13
I'd have thought it would be more likely that the Chron would only put stuff on the website and not in print, if it were a matter of space. Bizarre.

27 September, 2017 14:59
i hope the players see this and it fires them up. how will it look when our local rag forgets to follow the falcons on the march to the twickers final (Sm110) (Sm145)

Rub their noses in it boys

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net