rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Sunday 29th October v Leicester Tigers at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Saturday 4th November v Wasps at Ricoh Arena, 3.00pm (Anglo Welsh)

Last result: Bordeaux Begles 20-21 Newcastle Falcons

will welch
nook10 (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 16:01
Was not great fan of will but credit where credit due .He has stepped up to the mark this season . with his play and the way he is taking referees to task. well done Will

Re: will welch
Monkey1 (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 17:38
I have always thought highly of WW as a player, but had my doubts about him being captain. The man has grown into the role magnificently & all due credit to him.

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
01 October, 2017 20:00
Yep credit where credit is due. I haven't been his biggest fan in the past but he has become the heartbeat of this team and has really grown into the role.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 08:57
Agreed never been a massive fan of him, but I think he is one of them players what does a lot of the hard work unseen work I should say. smiling smiley

steve1888 (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 10:27
Him and Wilson would be first two on team sheet every week.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 11:42
I think its extremely harsh to stay he's stepped up THIS SEASON. He's been playing to this level for the last 2/3/ 4 seasons now alongside Mark Wilson. Only mark has been getting all the recognition.

Will Welch is an absolute workhorse and tackling machine and utterly fearless..he puts his head in places most people wouldn't! That in turn makes people follow him and play tough!

People keep saying Underhill should start for England because he has a ferocious workrate and is a tackling machine. I keep arguing how that is different from Will Welch who is also a captain and leader...and absolutely fearless!

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 12:34
I suppose the issue is the team has not been in the top half of the table so the Will Welches of this world get overlooked by coaches and the press

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 14:52
Absolutely 100% with your their GF!

aidanb (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 16:42
Quote:
Bedlington Lad
I suppose the issue is the team has not been in the top half of the table so the Will Welches of this world get overlooked by coaches and the press

that worries more than anything because it suggest that the national selectors have blinkers on. Having blinkers on is the biggest failing anyone can have.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 17:25
Welch is fantastic.

You know what annoys me about jones? He goes on and on about wanting rebels, hard men and outliers. People on the periphery who haven't been trusted by twicks establishment. Hartley and co...

...and then he completely ignores the true rugby outliers and ACTUALLY overlooked. Welch has become one of those for me. The thing is, I am sure Richards and company don't mind it one little bit. The real challenge for the team will be how they cope with people becoming more aware of these secrets. Eg. We do actually have the best 9 in the league, Welch's work rate and commitment are easily the equal of robshaw, we have the best line out operator in the division etc etc. that is the true challenge ahead.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 15:16
Welch deserves more plaudits than he currently receives.he is passionate, powerful and consistently puts a robust shift in. He never shys away from confrontation and sets a great example on terms of work ethic to the guys.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 23:39
WW could be a player who will never make it as an international player because he is so committed to his club that he wouldn't do well being away from it? Just a thought, but I bet it happens, and I take several hats off to players who think that way.

Running Rugby (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 18:45
I too, in the past have been a bit of a detractor of Will Welch both as a captain and a starting flanker in our side, but over the past two, maybe three years he has really grown into the roll both as an openside and a captain, putting in some very impressive and consistent performances.

He is somewhat overshadowed by Mark Wilson, but in my opinion, should be getting as much, or even more recognition both internationally and in the game in general.

May it be another case of Northern bias? If he were say, a Leicester, Saracens, Exeter, or Wasps player, would he have gotten 20 caps by now?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2017 18:47 by Running Rugby.

upwardonward (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 22:31
Will = A true born and bred Geordie with total Loyalty and Commitment who is held in very high regard by his rugby peers and his team.
Great to see some credit from his supporters.
Does not court the press , or publicity unlike many others who have.in the past.
Keep up the great work Will.
Barbarian call perhaps?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net