rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 15th December v Dragons at Rodney Parade, 7.30pm

Saturday 23rd December v Harlequins at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 52-24 Bordeaux-Begles


Silences
dick g (IP Logged)
30 September, 2017 15:11
Off Topic and certain to be offensive to some.

There seems to be a vogue for holding commemorative minute silences at every available excuse as happened on Friday with the silence for Freddie Shepherd. More thought needs to be given for these things. Did Freddie deserve the honour? To those who think he did, I would suggest a look at the obit in The Times. I do not wish to speak I'll of the dead, but I will not distort reality. While I acknowledge the part he played in taking us into professionalism, it was not the totality of his life.

The problem is that for those of us standing, there is no choice about participation unlike the thankfully rare opportunities these days when the National Anthem is played in the theatre and I can exercise the republican option of remaining seated and enjoying the clicking of tongues of disapproval around me.

In the future, I may choose to follow the splendid example of some American football players and "take the knee."

 
Re: Silences
Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 11:22
We do seem to be having minute silences for a lot of things these days - I'd prefer it was restricted Armistice Day Commemorations personally

 
Re: Silences
falconbear (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 13:12
I believe it was a minute of applause at St. James' yesterday. Seems more appropriate for us to do that so that those who don't wish to clap can keep quiet.

 
Re: Silences
Monkey1 (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 14:32
I will go with the club's judgement on this. FS was heavily involved with the club so like him or not it was appropriate. We don't seem to get them at KP except for people who have been significant to the club, so their policy seems about right.

 
Re: Silences
pa8 (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 15:12
Whether you like him or not he's a human being who has died. Are people saying they can't show one minute of respect for someone who's passed on ? It's not Adolf Hitler or Pol Pot we're talking about here. It's a sad sign of the times that some can't put the thoughts of the deceased person's family ahead of their own feelings. Freddie was never my favourite person but I certainly wouldn't begrudge ONE MINUTE. But, each to their own.

 
Re: Silences
dick g (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 15:51
OK. Let's have a minute silence for everyone who dies.

 
Re: Silences
steve1888 (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 17:54
I always think a minutes applause is better but still don't mind respecting a minutes silence.

 
Re: Silences
dick g (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 18:05
Quote:
pa8
Whether you like him or not he's a human being who has died. Are people saying they can't show one minute of respect for someone who's passed on ? It's not Adolf Hitler or Pol Pot we're talking about here. It's a sad sign of the times that some can't put the thoughts of the deceased person's family ahead of their own feelings. Freddie was never my favourite person but I certainly wouldn't begrudge ONE MINUTE. But, each to their own.

Adolf and Pol had families.

 
Re: Silences
Osric (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 20:35
For what it's worth ( probably not much) - I agree Dick. The more public emoting that happens, the more devalued it becomes.

 
Re: Silences
Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 13:55
This is certainly a difficult and emotive issue to address. In my day job I have sadly had to repatriate a number of servicemen, women, and victims of the Tunisia shootings. There are alot of terrible things happening in the world and it is a tragedy when loved ones pass away under any circumstances.
That said, we hold a minutes silence on 11 November each year to commemorate the millions of lives lost during wars that have shaped and defined the history of the planet.
I don't think the trend of minutes silences for numerous events or individualsis is acceptable , dignified or correct.
I agree that a minutes applause for someone associated with a club or an event passing away is respectful and dignified .
I appreciate that this is a very emotive think and fully expect a tirade of abuse for lacking compassion but hope some may share my views

 
Re: Silences
dick g (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 17:52
Quote:
Rafpilot2000
This is certainly a difficult and emotive issue to address. In my day job I have sadly had to repatriate a number of servicemen, women, and victims of the Tunisia shootings. There are alot of terrible things happening in the world and it is a tragedy when loved ones pass away under any circumstances.
That said, we hold a minutes silence on 11 November each year to commemorate the millions of lives lost during wars that have shaped and defined the history of the planet.
I don't think the trend of minutes silences for numerous events or individualsis is acceptable , dignified or correct.
I agree that a minutes applause for someone associated with a club or an event passing away is respectful and dignified .
I appreciate that this is a very emotive think and fully expect a tirade of abuse for lacking compassion but hope some may share my views

Spot on Rafa. I have observed the November silence since I was a child and recall the time when the London traffic stopped. Even today, I hold the silence even if I am on the street and the world around next carries on unaware of the significance of the time.

 
Re: Silences
Monkey1 (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 22:49
You two may have hit the proverbial nail on the head. A minute of silence, or rather two minutes (one for each God-awful war) is appropriate every 11th November until the end of time, in remembrance of nameless millions who have allowed us the freedom to discuss such things. For those who have been good eggs to any particular cause and who are to be remembered for what they have done, a minute of applause is a fitting tribute that will make their families truly proud.

 
Re: Silences
aidanb (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 06:18
Iím of the opinion that taking a minute to stop and reflect is a good thing and as we donít do it at the drop of a hat then I am happy to take part and proud that we all observe it in silence.

I prefer the silence rather than clapping which was only brought in because some crowds couldnít show that respect.

 
Re: Silences
Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 06:29
Personally I would have felt a round of applause for Freddy Sheppard as more appropriate to thank him for his efforts rather than a minutes silence but it is very much each to their own. I'm sure the club asked the family first

 
Re: Silences
dick g (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 07:05
Quote:
aidanb
Iím of the opinion that taking a minute to stop and reflect is a good thing and as we donít do it at the drop of a hat then I am happy to take part and proud that we all observe it in silence.
I prefer the silence rather than clapping which was only brought in because some crowds couldnít show that respect.

Or wouldn't. A display of respect must not be obligatory. Applause is a suitable celebration of a life rather than mourning a death by silence. .

 
Re: Silences
aidanb (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 08:25
Quote:
dick g
Quote:
aidanb
Iím of the opinion that taking a minute to stop and reflect is a good thing and as we donít do it at the drop of a hat then I am happy to take part and proud that we all observe it in silence.
I prefer the silence rather than clapping which was only brought in because some crowds couldnít show that respect.

Or wouldn't. A display of respect must not be obligatory. Applause is a suitable celebration of a life rather than mourning a death by silence. .

I agree with that, in which case you can silently think about the other people you feel deserve the respect. It doesn't have to be a minute for the person who is named.

 
Re: Silences
Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 14:07
This is a genuine question, but did Freddie Shepherd have any connection to Falcons? (Sorry if this is a stupid question)

I may be in a minority but I really dislike the minute's applause, whoever it's for, wasn't it only brought in because people couldn't keep quiet during the minute's silence and the minute gradually became shorter and shorter.

 
Re: Silences
alas (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 14:17
It was explained over the PA why Freddie Shepherd was being honoured in relation to the Falcons. Time enough for those who did not think worthy of this to retire to the bar.

 
Re: Silences
Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 15:24
I only asked what his connections were alas, I wasn't commenting on the rights or wrongs of his honouring by the club.

 
Re: Silences
alas (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 15:39
I can't remember all the details, but the most significant role seemed to be persuading John Hall to invest.

 
Re: Silences
Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 15:44
And we all know what happened then....thanks alas.


Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net
 
 

Who is online?

Total users online:  

Most users online:  

Users on this site:  

Where are they?