rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 15th December v Dragons at Rodney Parade, 7.30pm

Saturday 23rd December v Harlequins at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 52-24 Bordeaux-Begles

How good are we?
dick g (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 18:03
Simple answer from one of the BT Sport commentary team "Superb". Having watched a recording of the match, I can only agree. Dave Walder's offloading game is a nightmare for defenders who know that if we can't make it through the middle, we have the likes of Nikki G and de Merve lurking on the wings.
Loving it! Watch out Exeter. We are coming for you.

Re: How good are we?
Monkey1 (IP Logged)
02 October, 2017 19:35
I think we will have a fairly accurate idea of how good we are by Christmas. Meanwhile we can enjoy the moment, and reflect that we share the top with Saints, a club that was written off by many as being in turmoil, with back room issues, and players in dissent at the management. Many people had them slated down as facing a difficult season, so I am more than pleased to share their company, and share their pleasure.

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 06:43
I agree with monkey we'll have an idea of where we stand by Xmas. I wouldn't change the side for Exeter because I want to see where this team stands up against prob one of if not the best team in the league

Trebor1892 (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 06:51
Quote:
Falcons_Thunder
I agree with monkey we'll have an idea of where we stand by Xmas. I wouldn't change the side for Exeter because I want to see where this team stands up against prob one of if not the best team in the league

Not sure how possible that is going to be, didnít look like Socino Jr was particularly healthy after the game on Friday. Looked like a right hand/arm issue.

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 07:26
How good are we...ok here's my view.

+'s
We have a superb team spirit - they'll fight to the death for each other.
We have a VERY good defence
We are developing efficiency at taking chances
Our handling and interlink play is improving immensely
We have an enormous work rate
We have some really gritty players at the breakdown etc.
The kids coming through look outstanding

-'s
Our scrum is woeful
Whilst our handling can be sensational we still a work in progress. Consistency required.
We seem to switch off in games.
We lack genuine carriers in the pack
We don't maul enough. The odd time we do, we're superb!

I think the lads are doing superb. They all need huge applause, including Dean and his coaching team.
They are worth the recognition they are getting.

However the thing thats pleased me more (as it actually matched exactly how I felt)...was the response of Latu after the Irish game. Instead of being happy he was "satisfied" with the points but extremely disappointed with how much we let Irish back in. He said the changing room was not a happy place. And that's great to hear! It shows where this group is mentally...and THATS what will drive them on to the next level.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 07:33
I agree with Monkey I think we'll know by Christmas how good the team is. Couldn't be happier with how things are going at the moment though[:wor kid:]

lizard118 (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 08:42
In agreement there GF. Nice breakdown. Our scrum in particular needs a lot of work. Sam Lockwood was due back this month, and would be a welcome boost. Tighthead is another problem area. No news in either Wilson. And not sure when/if we'll ever see either this season.
Need to start trolling the local farming communities for the next-generation front rowers as we don't seem to have anyone coming through the academy, as far as I'm aware. Exeter will target our scrum in a way no one has done so far.
Back to the question of the forum, I think we're plenty good enough, as long as we remain grounded and continue doing the little things that have got us to this stage. We don't concede too many tries this season and can go to Exeter with the aim to win the game rather than damage limitation.

pa8 (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 10:16
Got to be happy with the season so far. Team spirit fantastic and fitness levels certainly up on last season. The offloading game is great to watch and the defence is tremendous.
This Saturday will be a massive test I think. The home of the champions, a ground where I can't remember us doing well, against a team who will be desperate to bounce back after last week's defeat. Whatever the result it's going to be a hard game, but we should be approaching it a lot more positively than past trips there.

Pinhoe_Chief (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 12:59
Looking forward to this Saturday and the visit of you guys. You are going great at the moment so we will be up against it I suspect if our Tigers performance is anything to go by. Either way, lets have a cracker and come on down and quaff a few Otter ales.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 13:46
It's certainly easy to get carried away with our current position in the league and certainly nothing can be taken away from the lads after their performance against Bath. However 2 of our 4 wins have come against relegation candidates London Irish and Worcester.
We are a mid table team at present which given our crowds and financial situation is exceptional. If luck goes our way over the season in terms of results and injuries we will be mid table in the upper half . If not , mid table in the lower half.
However, I don't think any team in the league will look at a fixture with us and expect to win.

aidanb (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 13:51
I don't feel the need to project a level onto the team at the moment.

I simply want to enjy each game as it comes and accept the game for what it is every week.

I'm not running yet

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 15:57
I have no expectations of our trip to Exeter except that I'm rather optimistic it may well be a hell of a good game...

DJMc (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 07:23
I think everyone can agree we are good but not yet the finished product. For me the next step to improving is game management and luckily the coaching team and the players themselves consider the last twenty minutes of the Irish game a drop off in the standards they expect of themselves.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 08:10
While we are not yet the finnished article, given our current squad we could be. For me, we just need to keen improving the coaching given the the guys, though conditioning wise they seemin pretty good shape, scrapping till the very end. The other bigger problem will be holding onto our stars as we cement ourselves in the top half as individuals seem to improve their international prospects . We need to make sure we don't become a feeder club for the likes of wasps and Leicester

04 October, 2017 08:19
"We need to make sure we don't become a feeder club for the likes of wasps and Leicester" - we've been that in the past IMHO - so I hope we don't return to that and we push on to be a top club players want to stay at and top players join

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 08:25
We have been seen as the bargain basement for bigger clubs capitalising on the fact the players with ambition she not want to run the risk of playing championship rugby. Our club ambitions, performances and table position is now significantly different.

04 October, 2017 09:22
I agree I think the club has moved on from those days I'm glad to say.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 11:51
The loyalty shown by Mark Wilson and Will Welch has shown that

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net