rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Friday 15th December v Dragons at Rodney Parade, 7.30pm

Saturday 23rd December v Harlequins at Kingston Park, 3.00pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 52-24 Bordeaux-Begles

Kyle Sinckler
Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
03 October, 2017 21:21
Receives a 7 week ban......typical inconsistency shown by the RFU disciplinary panel!
I feel he's got off very very lightly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/10/2017 21:24 by Wensleydale Falcon.

Re: Kyle Sinckler
Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 06:39
I watched the game on the box and couldn't make out what had happened I thought he'd just pulled the guy's scrum cap off. Other views must have shown something worse I suppose

telfs123 (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 07:21
BT showed an angle the next day which showed him pulling the scrum cap off then coming back and clearly sticking his fingers into Patterson's eyes.

The ban was "lower end" because Patterson didn't sustain an injury is ludicrous, as is getting 5 weeks off it because he said he did it. (We know you did it Kyle, we can all see it).
Judging something on outcome rather than intent is madness. If he put his fingers in his eyes deliberately, half a year ban minimum.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 07:22
Watched the highlights of the game on tv, was hard to make out if it did happen at first I didn't think there was anything in it. smiling smiley

04 October, 2017 07:28
Quote:
telfs123
BT showed an angle the next day which showed him pulling the scrum cap off then coming back and clearly sticking his fingers into Patterson's eyes.
The ban was "lower end" because Patterson didn't sustain an injury is ludicrous, as is getting 5 weeks off it because he said he did it. (We know you did it Kyle, we can all see it).
Judging something on outcome rather than intent is madness. If he put his fingers in his eyes deliberately, half a year ban minimum.
Thanks I didn't see that at all - in which case 7 weeks is light IMHO

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 08:04
These things always look worse when played back repeatedly in slow motion. However a 7 week ban doesn't really articulate the severity of eye gouging , which is serious physical assault and potentially career ending for a player. With the ban pretty much covering European games it's no really appropriate

Exiled Falcon (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 15:58
I'm a huge fan of Sinkler but you just wonder what goes through a player's head in these situations

If the game wants to stamp this sort of cowardly assault out then you should really be looking at a minimum of a few months ban, as others have said, just because there was no injury is ridiculous.

Not sure how he can admit to the charge but say he'd never intentionally gouge someone. Anyway, hope he learns from it, as he's got a great future ahead of him.

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 16:53
Think the charge is also to do with being negligent with his fingers in proximity to another players eyes. I am assuming he accepted the negligence part of the charge.

To be honest it looks as though the charges should be separate in a way they aren't at the moment.

Running Rugby (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 17:40
As mentioned, typically inconsistent from the powers that be, and the whole thing of admitting it and getting two weeks knocked off the ban is beyond ridiculous!

As James Horwill has said, Sinckler is his own worst enemy. Sounds like the kid needs to grow up a bit to be honest, from getting into trouble in New Zealand and now this, hope he isn't going to be one of those that throws away their career for repeated acts of stupidity, as he is a very good player. Adam Jones needs to pull him aside and have a word i think.

As for the ban. The RFU should come up with a set punishment for each offense, outline the plans at the start of the season and stick to those punishments. It is not reflecting well on the game, that one week a guy can be banned for 13-14-15 weeks and the next someone is banned for 5 weeks, just shows them in a bit of a bad light to be honest. You do wonder, that if he were a player not regarded as a major part of the England squad going forward, if he would have gotten a longer ban....

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 19:17
Quote:
Running Rugby
You do wonder, that if he were a player not regarded as a major part of the England squad going forward, if he would have gotten a longer ban....

The whole disciplinary process is a complete and utter whitewash when the RFU is put in charge of deciding the bans that are meted out to players who are wanted to play for England, or in other words, banning players that the RFU needs to have playing. It seems that every time, a ban is calculated to end just before the player is required to pull on an England shirt.

I don't have the time to trawl through the records, but the same accusation has been made on here time after time. You can even hear the pages of the diary being turned by the disciplinary panel as they work out how many weeks are left until the player may be required to take to the pitch for England. And lo, that figure miraculously becometh the length of the ban.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
04 October, 2017 19:27
Having watched the weekends highlights I couldn't see any eye contact however on Rugby Tonight they had footage that I hadn't seen before and it was clear and obvious contact with the eye
Why wasn't this footage available to the TMO but was after the game had finished?

05 October, 2017 06:08
Quote:
Falc Dancer
Having watched the weekends highlights I couldn't see any eye contact however on Rugby Tonight they had footage that I hadn't seen before and it was clear and obvious contact with the eye
Why wasn't this footage available to the TMO but was after the game had finished?
This is a very relevant question - presumably if the ref/tmo had seen those picture he'd have been red carded

Leipziger (IP Logged)
05 October, 2017 08:18
Quote:
Exiled Falcon
I'm a huge fan of Sinkler but you just wonder what goes through a player's head in these situations
If the game wants to stamp this sort of cowardly assault out then you should really be looking at a minimum of a few months ban, as others have said, just because there was no injury is ridiculous.

Not sure how he can admit to the charge but say he'd never intentionally gouge someone. Anyway, hope he learns from it, as he's got a great future ahead of him.

You've hit the nail on the head Exiled Falcon. If this is deliberate gouging then it should be a very long ban, it's not something you do in the heat of the moment like punch someone (which in itself isn't great), it has to be a cool-headed act. Hopefully Sinckler will learn as you say, and I'm sure he will.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net