rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 18th November v Wasps at Ricoh Arena, 5.15pm

Friday 24th November v Gloucester at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 57-0 Cardiff Blues

Exeter v Falcons Sat 7th October
aidanb (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 10:27
Newcastle Falcons team to face Exeter Chiefs (Saturday, 3pm, Sandy Park)

15 Alex Tait

14 DTH van der Merwe

13 Chris Harris

12 Juan Pablo Socino

11 Vereniki Goneva

10 Craig Willis

9 Sonatane Takulua

1 Trevor Davison

2 Santiago Socino

3 Jon Welsh

4 Calum Green

5 Will Witty

6 Mark Wilson

7 Will Welch (captain)

8 Nili Latu

Replacements

16 Kyle Cooper

17 Rob Vickers

18 Jake Ilnicki

19 Sean Robinson

20 Ally Hogg

21 Sam Stuart

22 Toby Flood

23 Josh Matavesi

Referee: Andrew Jackson

One Change

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2017 10:29 by aidanb.

Re: Exeter v Falcons Sat 7th October
aidanb (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 10:30
That is something to see

Willis by rights keeping his place and making Flood wait

aidanb (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 10:36
Nice to see we have a mix at hooker as well

The Chopper will have to play well to keep Cooper out

Pinhoe_Chief (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 10:46
CHIEFS SIDE TO FACE NEWCASTLE FALCONS

15 Lachie Turner
14 Jack Nowell
13 Henry Slade
12 Ian Whitten
11 Olly Woodburn
10 Gareth Steenson
9 Nic White
1 Carl Rimmer
2 Jack Yeandle (capt)
3 Harry Williams
4 Mitch Lees
5 Jonny Hill
6 Sam Skinner
7 Don Armand
8 Sam Simmonds

16 Elvis Taione
17 Ben Moon
18 Tomas Francis
19 Ollie Atkins
20 Julian Salvi
21 Stu Townsend
22 Tom Hendrickson
23 Phil Dollman

Trebor1892 (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 11:12
That is a superb Exeter team. I suspect home advantage will be telling, hoping we can give them a good game. I suspect they will get 5 points, but could we get minimum of 2?

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 11:14
A nice mix there great to see Flood on the bench. smiling smiley

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 11:30
Saracens had their strongest team so far this season play against us and now Exeter put out arguably their strongest line up of the season against us.

I'd like to think that they now consider us a threat and we have fielded a strong side. Let's hope we can come home with points.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 11:47
Good luck to Trevor Davison on his first Prem start on the Champs home turf. Win, lose or draw, all I hope is we play well again and round off this first batch of fixtures with another good performance. We've come a long way and this will be another huge test of our progress. COYF.

Marco19819 (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 17:15
Yes, good luck big Trev. Lovely lad and strong as an ox.

I think Stuart has been a revelation coming off the bench. I really like him! He has great energy and is a little like Townsend, the kid who will come on for them at some point.

If we don't get absolutely smashed then I think we could feel very positive about where we could finish. They will come out SO big after what happened last week. Baxter is brilliant at getting a reaction from those players.

clalan (IP Logged)
06 October, 2017 17:43
Safe journey all those travelling, your showing steady progress to the top.
With the injuries it is probably the best team we can put out from those available.

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 08:32
Hard game but if we show upfront and keep our defensive set right it should be a good game. And I'm going for an away shock win COYF

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 10:06
Just setting off from Wiltshire to watch this game.im guessing this match will answer the questions about how good we are as a team. Certainly not evorvyonh a win but hopefully we will make it a battle royal. Walking away from this with any points would be a massive win for us

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 14:13
No many decisions going our way!!

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 14:16
Sandy Park is a bogey ground for Falcons
We don't perform down there

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 14:17
Cant help but think flood on to Marshall the troops may help. The lads aren't playing badly but every 50:50 is going to exeter

pityacker (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 14:34
Another Sandy Park walloping in the offing .

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 14:37
We're not a million miles off the pace at 24-10, but not converting (though winds pretty strong) and lots of little mistakes . Might get 4 tries though;-)

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 14:52
JPS yellow card for a leading arm
I'll be interested to see how it was considering Nathan Hughes nearly knocked out Faletau last week and only gave a penalty away

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 15:04
Flood on, and Falcons playing well

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 15:10
Alex tait over fir our third try of the afternoon . Now 27-17

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 15:11
And for all those who complained about the noise during kicking at Kingston park, sandy park is v noisey

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 15:17
DTH binned now, in at the side and penalty try given
1 try away from a point. I would be happy with a point

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 15:31
Goneva for our 4 th try

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 15:32
34-24. If this is the champions away from home we have no reason to fear anyone

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 15:43
Happy with a point
Our best result at Sandy Park

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 15:47
Life is full of what ifs and exeter were the better team , but the ref was in the pocket of our fans, we had a try ruled out, missed two conversions and had a penalty try against us. At the end our guys looked fitter and faster. The only games I see is losing is Saracens away having taken a point off exeter. I think any other team is vulnerable home or away

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 15:51
We would of all taken a LBP prior to the game and despite playing with 14 men for a quarter of the game, we more than matched Exeter. Exeter clearly had the upper hand in the set piece but we played some good stuff at times and deserved something from the match.

Socino probably deserved the yellow card but the most frustrating thing is Nathan Hughes got away with a worse action last week, yet they only conceded a pen. How did Harry Williams not get a yellow for his uncontrolled shoulder into Welsh's face!? It looked really bad and the refs comments to Will Welch (who made a great point to the ref) reckoned he saw the whole incident. Was he wearing blinkers?

Final point. We need to give Goneva a new contract. He was the best player on the pitch and can play at this level for another couple of seasons. Quality player.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 15:55
Would take that result always a hard trip down there. smiling smiley

Wensleydale Falcon (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 16:11
Excellent point from the lads...only a 10 point deficit having played 20 mins a man down!!

Guaranteed a top four spot after the first batch of matches, and that is absolutely fantastic!!

davietoon (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 16:11
Would ve taken 1 pt at the start but for a knock on at the start we would have come away with 2pts . Fine margins corresponding fixture last year was 36-14 so much improved well done Falcons.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2017 16:15 by davietoon.

07 October, 2017 16:21
Chiefs will put most teams away convincingly at Sandy Park this year as they did last season so that is a good point for us.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 16:29
Exeter were better but the score is a tad flattering . The bubble was always going to burst and today was always going to give us a good benchmark as to where we are and from today, definitely top 6, top 4 would depend on luck with results but with the autumn internationals about to decimate the big teams , it will be interesting to see where we are come the new year.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 16:41
I think that the fact that having played the top 3 teams in the league (Bath,Saracens and Exeter) we have won one and got a losing point from another .

fatheralice (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 16:46
Thought Falcons played pretty well. Willis was playing very well, so was surprised when he went off for Flood. Poor decision, because Flood was clearly struggling with the pace after about 10 mins.

Sloppy lineouts let Falcons off the hook a little, and some loose play in midfield, but credit to Falcons for getting the TBP -I felt they deserved something from the game. I was pretty impressed with them - certainly the best Falcons side I have seen down at Sandy Park, however the big worry for them would be the scrums where they were destroyed, both starters and the bench. If that is your full strength front row, then I think you will struggle for top 6. However it was a very fast paced match, so maybe it was just a fitness issue, and they may do better normally?

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 16:57
Clearly I was sat down at a different end of the ground to you watching a different match Fatheralice. You won the game and rightly so but it was with an absolutely one sided ref and your pretty much first choice team looked very average at home in perfect conditions. Your ahead of us but miles off Saracens. Looking forward to the reciprocal fixture

fatheralice (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 17:09
Quote:
Rafpilot2000
Clearly I was sat down at a different end of the ground to you watching a different match Fatheralice. You won the game and rightly so but it was with an absolutely one sided ref and your pretty much first choice team looked very average at home in perfect conditions. Your ahead of us but miles off Saracens. Looking forward to the reciprocal fixture

Waldrom
LCD
Devoto
Sam Hill
Short
Nowell played about 10 mins
Horstmann
Dennis
Campagnaro

All absent, and first teamers very likely to be in the 23.

Did you listen to the ref link?

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 17:23
if it's a touchy subject that we were t far off embarrassing you at home and that Saracens are the teamto bear this year theni apologise unreservedly for causing undue distress as I had a very pleasant afternoon at Sandy Park. I have always been a fan of the Chiefs and I look forward to our first choice team going up against your first team at Kingston park with

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 17:35
Flood wasjoggong very gingerly during warm up exercises and despite the run out , clearly isn't near 100% yet

Leipziger (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 18:43
Not disappointed with a point. Top 4 after six games, over a quarter of the season, very good and lets hope we can kick on after the cup games.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 18:54
I was concerned about Willis, Baby Socino & DTHVDM being up against an almighty Exeter team. Scrabble obviously needs more game time to get up to speed on the attack, the front row did creak which was only to be expected, and despite Willis being a revelation this season, I think Flood's experience would have helped in this one.

Altogether a decent enough effort. Many teams will get absolutely nothing at Sandy Park this season. I would say we have potential to be top six if we keep on improving and are allowed some consistency, and now have no doubt that we will have a very respectable season with nothing to fear from any opposition.

I am a happy enough bunny today.

fatheralice (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 19:03
Quote:
Rafpilot2000
if it's a touchy subject that we were t far off embarrassing you at home and that Saracens are the teamto bear this year theni apologise unreservedly for causing undue distress as I had a very pleasant afternoon at Sandy Park. I have always been a fan of the Chiefs and I look forward to our first choice team going up against your first team at Kingston park with

Pleased you had a nice time. Certainly no issue with any team performing well at Sandy Park.
I'd suggest Sarries are the team to beat any season - with 7 Lions in the side, and great continuity in the squad, it is little wonder that they will be up there again this year. I think they are the best coached side in the league, but as ever it is a long season, and squads get stretched for different reasons, so whether they will suffer in the league due to call ups or Euro finals again this year time will tell.

Is it unreasonable to point out that 7 of the premiership final winning squad from last year have not yet played this season?

Back to the game, Did you think the Falcons front row did well at scrum time?

Chiefs pack is decent enough, and holds it own against most sides, but not normally the dominant force it was today. I wouldn't lay that all at the ref's feet. Personally, I can't see Falcons contesting the top of the league if they continue to give up such easy territory and possession in other games.

Geronimo Jim (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 19:22
Newcastle for the trophy this season. Outstanding performance. Apart from Sarries you will win every away game for the rest of the season. Or did I read a previous post incorrectly?
Shame in my team for being so poor.
You have been very good so far this season but it won't be over until well after Christmas.
I said to a friend today that the top four may well be very different this season. Too soon for anyone to be excited about the future.

07 October, 2017 19:27
I really don't know why some folks need to get into this @#$%& for tat nonsense with opposing supporters.

Pointless exercise in my opinion!!

Look, the Chiefs got try bonus point win against us which they expected to get,just look on their message board (albeit one was a penalty try) and we came away with a more than honourable try LBP.

Bear in mind we also played 20 minutes with 14 men so to keep in the game like we did sounds like the guys put in a great shift today.

It frustrates us Falcons fans that some opposing fans (particularly this season) appear to blame their own sides short comings or injury list when we either beat them or give them a game this season. Maybe a little bit of credit where credit is due wouldn't go amiss, but hey ho.....let's not worry what other folks think and just back and enjoy what's developing at KP.

alchemist (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 19:48
Ian Smith and Dean Grey seemed to think that the JPS disallowed try might have been awarded if the ref had gone to the TMO. Did anyone see this?
That would have been the second BP.
Plus three conversions - a 5-point win :-)

Add that to the BP we should have had in Philly if Goneva had been allowed to run in the try when the ball came off his face and Faz' missed penalty had been spotted by the officials, then the table would look a bit different....

Now mixing it with the big boys so optimism is warranted - especially if the scrummage issues can be sorted and we keep scoring tries.

Reasons to be cheerful...

dick g (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 19:52
All sounds vg to me. Point from Ex. Not bad
I am away for a couple of weeks so you will have to manage without me. Enjoy!

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 21:41
Apologies to the falcons faithful for initially antagonising on this one but every now and then it is nice to have a heated debate and display some passion but certainly no ill will meant towards anyone.
I think the bottom line, being champions, there is a weight of expectation and that can be hard to live up to in a competitive league. Whereas for us there is little expectation , though hope a plenty as to where this season will take us. I think what we learnt today is that we are nearly there, but not quite.
i do echo the sentiments that whenever teams don't do so well against us , or don't meet their own expectations , it is always blamed on injuries, off days and poor refereeing . Rather than the simple fact that the falcons are a pretty canny team .
Anyway , peace and love to all our rugby brethren, regardless of the colours or crest you wear!

Davidten31 (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 22:14
I made the long trip down to this game. Now the vast majority of fans in the north stand were great but I spent the whole of the second half being called a northern monkey. We complained and it was sorted but that's not the point. Worst fans we've come across by far . Ruined our trip.

Pinhoe_Chief (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 06:32
Quote:
Davidten31
I made the long trip down to this game. Now the vast majority of fans in the north stand were great but I spent the whole of the second half being called a northern monkey. We complained and it was sorted but that's not the point. Worst fans we've come across by far . Ruined our trip.

Sorry to hear to hear that Davidten, at least it was sorted out presumably by the stewards. Hope they weren't regular Chiefs fans, we get a lot of stag and hen dos and newbies to rugby who haven't yet acknowledged rugby fan etiquette.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 06:54
At the ground my experience with the kids was mainly positive and I think the Chiefs have a cracking stadium there, though i was a little surprised that as Champions their attendance was only 9,500. Especially in an area without a good football team and a large catchment area. In the second half no one bothered to be quiet for the kickers which given the abuse we have taken regarding that was a little bit of a surprise TBH.
I guess there is always a level of abuse going to happen sadly when passions run high but I do often feel that we are seen as a bit of a third world team at times and I did get some sarcastic comments about our lack of shirt sponsor. Hey ho

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 07:14
Here's my run down. TBP from sandy part is more than most will get down there and must be pointed out with 14men for a quarter of the game. With JPS try at the start if that was sarries or wasps that scored it would have been looked at but the ref Andrew "anti Falcons" Jackson didn't wanna know. Our scrum needs a lot of work at the minute we could really do with another class prop to help Jon Welsh, who now deserves a few weeks well earned rest. Good to get Noah back and his goal kicking hasn't changed 80%+ kicker.
So if by the end of the first block of AP matches if anyone said we would have 20points and have beaten Barf and Sale away most would have said no, but that's where we stand at present.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 08:36
Quote:
Rafpilot2000
i do echo the sentiments that whenever teams don't do so well against us , or don't meet their own expectations , it is always blamed on injuries, off days and poor refereeing . Rather than the simple fact that the falcons are a pretty canny team .

To be fair, a lot of supporters of other clubs have taken the time to pop over here and wish us good luck, pleased to see us doing well. There will always be a few who are a bit slow on the uptake & haven't yet noticed that we are up at the top end of the table with four try-bonus points already from just six games.

As for abuse, calling us northern monkeys, just feel sorry for them. Remember that these people rarely see anybody with a different surname, never mind from outside their own village, and their trips to Sandy Park may be the only times they see people who don't have webbed hands & feet. They probably poke fun at the Exeter supporters too, not just people with unfamiliar accents, so don't take it personally.

pa8 (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 08:37
With you on that Thunder. My main concern at the beginning of the season was our scrum and, unfortunately, that concern is still there. Everything else is rosy but we need a loosehead, hopefully Sam will be back for our next league match.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 10:51
Inexperienced ref - no surprise it wasn't reviewed but a good point at a really tough place to get anything and the team seems to be gelling nicely - all good smiling smiley

Tom A Hawk (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 11:09
Quote:
Rafpilot2000
At the ground my experience with the kids was mainly positive and I think the Chiefs have a cracking stadium there, though i was a little surprised that as Champions their attendance was only 9,500. Especially in an area without a good football team and a large catchment area.

Its a number of factors to be fair..

Historically the truth is that Falcons aren't a draw for the local population and also unlike Gloucester, Saracens, Quins, Barf et al there wasn't and isn't a huge travelling support either to contribute that. I understand why, as it is a near 6 hour drive from Exe to Newcastle. But it was the same against London Irish a few weeks ago where there wasn't a huge away following either.

But furthermore you tend to find that the bigger games, Sarries, Leicester and Bath et al will sell out as there is a large travelling support as well as drawing more of the locals who will see it as a competitive game, Along with the chance to see marquee players and etc, People are as we all know are fickle... Most of us know that there is no easy games but the average casual fan would have expected Chiefs to smash Newcastle just like they expected with London Irish.

I don't mean that as disrespectful to Newcastle who currently are on very good form and where a team I suspected to cause a few upsets, But the average casual fan remembers where you have historically finished and very much looks at matchups like this and thinks...

"Ah London Irish... We should beat them"...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2017 11:11 by Tom A Hawk.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 11:33
Like us, the Exeter catchment area is huge, so many supporters will have to travel quite a distance to home games, for which public transport is no use at all. I would imagine that this will affect attendances, and historically ours has not been one of the great teams to justify the time & expense of travelling a long way to Sandy Park.

aidanb (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 12:23
Quote:
Pinhoe_Chief
Quote:
Davidten31

Sorry to hear to hear that Davidten, at least it was sorted out presumably by the stewards. Hope they weren't regular Chiefs fans, we get a lot of stag and hen dos and newbies to rugby who haven't yet acknowledged rugby fan etiquette.

We all like to think we know how to behave but every now and then a group - or even an individual - behave like idiots. At all of our grounds.
The stewards are there to sort that out and itís always good to see it happen.

Most of us know not to hold it against the majority also.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 19:39
If we'd converted all 4 tries we have got two points so shows we were well in it. Was a good game and Goneva was excellent again. Top 4 after a quarter of the season is fanatsic.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net