rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 18th November v Wasps at Ricoh Arena, 5.15pm

Friday 24th November v Gloucester at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 57-0 Cardiff Blues

Irish v Leicester
Robs (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 18:25
If you get a minute have a look at the highlights of this game.
Mays try on 61 mins. The guy who throws a long pass to May does so as he's crossing the 22. Just have a look at where May is when he receives it
Or am I totally mistaken

Re: Irish v Leicester
Heaf (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 22:36
Nope - and JPD didn't even think of going to the TMO - and I know you can never know how things would play out if that had been disallowed but we only lost by 1 point so it makes you wonder sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2017 22:36 by Heaf.

Robs (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 22:57
Quote:
Heaf
Nope - and JPD didn't even think of going to the TMO - and I know you can never know how things would play out if that had been disallowed but we only lost by 1 point so it makes you wonder sad smiley
Cheers Heaf. I haven't checked your Board but I'd be interested to know if you guys had picked up on it.
I'm not biased in favour of LI or against Leics but I'm amazed that the tv guys didn't pick up on it and really really disappointed with them and the TMO who presumably had the same view as us (I am sympathetic with the onfield officials as it probably was difficult for them but the tv evidence in my view is so conclusive)
An absolute shocker INMHO

Robs (IP Logged)
07 October, 2017 23:06
Just run it again and again and again
"It's the most delicious of ((forward)) passes" says the commentator

I feel so sorry for LI fans

Heaf (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 00:11
To be fair to Austin H he thought it was forwards too - the TMO must have been in the toilet or something ... think it may have been David Rose who IMO should be nowhere near the game given his history.

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 07:18
Sounds like a raw deal for Oirish but in the bigger picture of things, 3 converted tries in the second half against Tiggers indicates that good things are possible.

Keep the faith.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 07:43
I watched the game if Irish played like they did in the second half in the first they could of won that I think, Leicester put there subs on really early I was surprised, but I do think they were thinking more about the game next weekend against Racing 92. smiling smiley

Heaf (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 10:14
Let's hope we can start playing from the beginning before it's too late ...

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 10:44
I watched the game and it was clearly forward - Austin Healey said the Leicester passer ran up after he'd let go of the ball to make it look as if it had gone backwards. On another point Paice was an idiot to give away the penalty that led to the try - he was told to release the ball and refused to - not a good example set by the captain

Heaf (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 12:01
Yep that too - so doubly annoying ...

aidanb (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 12:35
I think the current interpretation (Iím assuming it is still valid) that as long as the hands go backwards then the pass is valid.

That is an absolute load of guff.

I donít care how quickly these guys run, if they canít pass it backwards then we re start with a scrum.

Leipziger (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 06:15
Quote:
aidanb
I think the current interpretation (Iím assuming it is still valid) that as long as the hands go backwards then the pass is valid.
That is an absolute load of guff.

I donít care how quickly these guys run, if they canít pass it backwards then we re start with a scrum.

It absolutely is guff. I'm not sure any player runs so fast that they can't pass a ball backwards from where they are standing. For me, if the ball is caught or lands in front of where it was passed from, it's gone forwards, if it doesn't, then it hasn't gone forwards. Quite simple, but as so often in rugby, the powers that be make it over-complicated for players, officials and fans.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 07:06
Video from World Rugby explains it [m.youtube.com]

Margin_Walker (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 07:17
Quote:
markismith50
Video from World Rugby explains it [m.youtube.com]

Yep, ordinarily, but not in the Toomua example where he's jogging laterally not forward when he passes, before then running toward the tryline. Was definitely a forward pass for me.

Was a fair result though in the end, so no real complaints.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 07:42
Iím not saying it wasnít forward, Iím just posting it to explain how the law is meant to be implemented in general as there is often a misunderstanding from people watching.

trummy200 (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 09:06
Sort of impinges onto Albert Einstein's 'Laws of Relativity ' territory!

aidanb (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 12:07
Quote:
markismith50
Iím not saying it wasnít forward, Iím just posting it to explain how the law is meant to be implemented in general as there is often a misunderstanding from people watching.

it is still guff

LAW 12

DEFINITION: THROW FORWARD
A throw forward occurs when a player throws or passes the ball forward, i.e, if
the arms of the player passing the ball move towards the opposing teamís dead
ball line.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 12:40
Correct Aidan, so as long as the arms go backwards (the ball can still go forward, remember) then itís fine.

aidanb (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 13:36
Quote:
markismith50
Correct Aidan, so as long as the arms go backwards (the ball can still go forward, remember) then itís fine.
it being allowed doesn't make it fine

markismith50 (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 14:02
Maybe not, but it at least explains why a forward pass is not always awarded by the officials in many instances when the crowd are calling for it.

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 14:36
Maybe it could be amended so it's something like the recipient must be behind the passer when they receive the ball?

London_Falcon (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 14:44
Sorry guys but the momentum thing has been debated to death for years and the current interpretation is the only one that makes any sense.

For those of you saying that it really should go visibly backwards relative to the pitch, you are basically saying that a player running at top speed cannot make a pass of more than 1 or 2 metres. It has NEVER been refereed that way....

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net