rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 18th November v Wasps at Ricoh Arena, 5.15pm

Friday 24th November v Gloucester at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 57-0 Cardiff Blues

What has happened to Wasps?
Monkey1 (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 16:00
They looked good last season & I expected them to be fighting at the top, so why are they bumping around at the bottom end of the table? I know it is early days but with quarter of the season gone I thought things would settle into a more predictable pattern by now. Is the Premiership just so close this season that good clubs like Wasps can take a battering with the best of us, or have the wheels come off in Coventry for some reason?

Re: What has happened to Wasps?
trummy200 (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 16:45
No Gopps no Cipps No Nathan Hudges e.t.c. Young complaining that the cap is too low so he has to reduce his squad size! Maybe the chickens are coming home roost!!

Osric (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 17:49
I’m not sure if this is right (never stopped me before). They’ve got more than their fair share of top end players at a high cost at the expense of having greater strength in depth. I only say this because their A league team seems to have a fair few ringers from other clubs and universities. As with the Sarries complaint about the salary cap, might the solution be to balance the top end with academy products that cost far less in terms of salaries? Maybe both do this and Wasps have just been really unlucky. It happens. The Cips Gopperth axis worked really well last term and if they’re both crocked ...

Yorksfalcon (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 18:11
Regarding the salary cap, and I think this applies more to Saracens than for wasps, but I really do think there should be some kind of exemption (or limit to cost towards the salary cap) for academy produced players, allowing clubs to keep players that they have produced when they may be getting much higher offers from other clubs or clubs in France. This may allow them more leeway to expand the squad (not that saries need much more of an advantage) reduce the pressure the amount of minutes other players are forced to play while maintaining some semblance of a transparent and accountable salary cap. It would be a shame for example if we got to the stage where sarries lost an itoje because a French club could pay him twice as much, albeit current England squad rules probably reduce the risk of this greatly money still talks.

steve1888 (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 19:33
Having the likes of Hughes, Launchbury, Myall, Gopperth, Cipriani, Robson, Taylor and Eastmond all out at the same time is hampering them and they've had some tricky games during that. Similar happened to Leicester last season if I remember correctly.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
08 October, 2017 22:15
I think Robson been out for them has been a big loss, looking at the team they put out today it was the weakest Wasps team overall I have seen for a while. smiling smiley

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 05:22
It's very much a confidence game and the slightest dip in form shows how it effects league position. Look at Bath under Ford - a few injuries and losses and the confidence of beating others in the side goes. Conversely other sides start to look at you as a good chance for points.

That is a very good suggestion about academy products and salaries.

alas (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 05:48
When Gopperth has been playing, he's looked tired and well off his best. Ditto Haskell.

sour (IP Logged)
09 October, 2017 09:04
I feel that they're not as well coached as other teams and relied too much on their natural talent last season, and a few pieces missing out of that, and they're all at sea.

Rafpilot2000 (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 17:53
I feel for the fans but ultimately it is kinda hard to feel sorry for the richest club in Europe .

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
11 October, 2017 19:40
Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard of their few but critical injuries, been a bit busy lately to keep track of other teams.

It does sound like a lack of balance in their squad, too much of the budget blown on a few stars with no depth in the squad for the injury season. I am sure they will make up ground, hopefully starting the week after we head down to Coventry & not before.
(Sm100)

Kimbo (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 17:03
Quote:
Monkey1
or have the wheels come off in Coventry for some reason?

Nah. The wheels are well and truly bolted on in Cov this season. No idea what this 'Wasps' is that you speak of though (Sm23)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net