rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 18th November v Wasps at Ricoh Arena, 5.15pm

Friday 24th November v Gloucester at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 57-0 Cardiff Blues

Mermoz to debut against Dragons
aidanb (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 10:33
Mermoz at last

15 Simon Hammersley

14 Alex Tait

13 Maxime Mermoz

12 Toby Flood

11 Adam Radwan

10 Joel Hodgson

9 Sam Stuart

1 Rob Vickers

2 Ben Sowrey

3 Trevor Davison

4 Will Witty

5 Sean Robinson

6 Mark Wilson (captain)

7 Gary Graham

8 Ryan Burrows

Replacements

16 Jamie Blamire

17 Adam Brocklebank

18 Scott Wilson

19 Glen Young

20 Will Welch

21 Ruaridh Dawson

22 Cameron Cowell

23 Chris Harris

Referee: Pierre Brousset (France)

Re: Mermoz to debut against Dragons
Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 10:42
Hell of a team that is

GeordieFalcon (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 10:42
Now that's a strong team! Not only that...look how many home grown players!!!

Can wait for tomorrow.

falconbear (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 10:44
Wow! ...Radwan the flyer... Flood at 12...Mermoz starts. Hammer and the ever reliable Tait. Feed the backs, Feed the backs!!!!!

(Great to see Scott Wilson in the 23)

13 October, 2017 10:52
Falcbear....I COMPLETELY missed Scotty on the bench.

Now that is the best news of the lot! I genuinely pray that he gets a proper good injury free run now!

aidanb (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 10:55
18 Scott Wilson

mannin (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 11:17
Do we really need to play Mark Wilson and Vickers?

Rest of the team looks good.

13 October, 2017 11:24
I doubt they'll play the full game mannin. Mark is just there for some leadership, Welch will probably play in the next game.

Although Burrows offers a great leader now aswell.

Falc Dancer (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 11:29
As I expected a very EQP based squad. A good mix of youth and experience. Great to see Scotty Wilson back. Zach not fit?
As Mannin says, why are Mark and Bobby starting? Add Witty to that list as well. I would have expected that they would be rested

Bedlington Lad (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 11:49
Some genuine squad depth smiling smiley

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 13:05
What a fantastic blend of experience and newcomers. Good luck to all the first time this season starters and all fingers crossed that this is the start of an injury free run for Scott Wilson.

I seem to remember us getting clobbered at KP before half time by the Dragons a few seasons ago. This squad is strong enough to turn the tables on them tomorrow.

davietoon (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 13:54
Looks like Deano is taking the Challenge Cup seriously this year. Practice for 2019 when yhe final is at KP?

Kingston Parker (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 15:25
Quote:
davietoon
Looks like Deano is taking the Challenge Cup seriously this year. Practice for 2019 when yhe final is at KP?

Hope not, as we want to be at SJP in Champions Cup don't we!

davietoon (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 15:35
Aye true Just didn t want to get carried away and be too over optimistic, but what the he'll why not?

Leipziger (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 17:01
I think the Challenge Cup final is at SJP too, it's just the qualifying competition final that's at KP.

Good mix of youth and experience in our team there, very good!

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 18:20
Like the look of that side very much. Got a mix of youth, newcomers and fringe players who will all be looking to impress. Just feed the backs!

Fantastic to see Scott Wilson back in contention. Wasn't expecting that! Thought Davey was the closer to contention.

Newport have a nightmare injury list at the moment. We must be aiming for a win.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 19:19
Love the look of the back row. smiling smiley

Falcons_Thunder (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 19:20
Quote:
davietoon

Both finals are at st James park

Kwa444 (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 22:36
That's a strong second string side we're putting out nowadays....

alas (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 22:42
It's not really a second team, closer to half and half. Should be too strong for the injury-weakened Dragons. A good performance should match the big score Bordeaux achieved in Russia.

Horus (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 10:12
IIn Friday's Journal: ' Rugby is basically just hoying things around'. Trevor Davison.

Osric (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 13:20
In his case: people, balls - in that order. 😃

alnwickfalcon (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 15:07
Not liking the commentary from the game too shouty today. Weíve been awful in the 2nd half as I type Dragons Score again 22-27 Dragons. Sam Stuart caught out for pace.

14 October, 2017 15:11
Try in front of posts by Mark Wilson. 29-27 on 63. If we play through the hands and brute strength in the forwards we could open up a cricket score but penalties are killing us in this second half.

Osric (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 17:52
An odd game. Trying out some new combinations, I guess, and a win is a win, with four try bonus added. Great to see Scott back, steadying the scrum. Although not flawless, I like the addition of Gary Graham and Ryan Burrows. Radian had some great moments. A little surprised that the electric Cameron Cowell didn't come on for an injured Hammersley. Noah secured some tricky kicks and Maxime M looked hungry for more ball with a couple of opportunities wasted. Crowd of 4,000 disappointing for a balmy October afternoon.

aidanb (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 17:58
Was surprised to see that Gary Graham has a rather famous former falcon for a dad.

How did I miss that?

aidanb (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 18:37
That wasnít the perfect game by any stretch but there were a load of good things about that game.

That pack looked decent in places bearing in mind not regularly playing together.

Burrows and Graham looked good.
Scott Wilson was a boost as was Ben Sowery.

Itís was good to see Joel get a proper run and having Noah outside him seemed to help a lot.

Maxine Mermoze at 13 was interesting to say the least, there will be good things to come and Radwan is a racing machine.

That backline could play in the Prem quite easily.

I would like to see more of that side and not have a few changes just for the sake of it but Iím not in charge.

14 October, 2017 18:53
Gary Graham was the best falcon on the pitch by some way. Really put some huge tackles in and was a physical nuisance all game. He also scored a try and set one up. I'm glad Dean singled him out aswell.

Flood was very good today I have to say. Not offensively but defensively. He put in some huge work in that area..some big tackles and was constantly talking and questioning the ref.

Radwanshowed glimpses of what he can do.

Joel showed to me that he is now behind flood and Willis.

The biggest problem for me was the lack of directness. To often we drifted from one side to the other with the ball just puttng it through the hands. You can defend that all day.
That's one area I expected to see more of Burrows and want to see Will witty improving in.
No one took the ball and went forward hard with pace running angles and lines.

14 October, 2017 18:56
Ps I did enjoy watching the lads play in green and white hoops

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 19:12
Sounded like Graham had a solid game a long with others hope he gets more game time. smiling smiley

NorfolkFalcon (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 20:43
I expect big things from Graham. He has all the attributes to become a top flanker.

iansmith1956 (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 20:59
Apologies if I was too shouty today alnwickfalcon. I will listen to the recording, I actually didn't think there was a lot to shout about so maybe it was the pre-match coffee. It was nice to get new players on the field and head to next weekend with a win

alas (IP Logged)
14 October, 2017 22:02
Very good to see Scott Wilson back on the pitch and the Dragons contributed well, especially in the third quarter. However, like the Irish game, it was another Jekyll and Hyde showing from the Falcons. Side to side without going forward first, turnerd over a lot of ball and some scruffy set pieces. Will need to be a lot better and a lot more consistent against Leicester.

DJMc (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 07:07
There is no doubt that Radwan is s speed merchant but I think he should ditch the hitch kick when he receives the ball because it gives the opposition time to line him up for the tackle. I think he has enough flat line speed to beat the tackler and leave them grasping at air.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 10:39
Jekyll and Hide is the correct description. Lacking bite with a touch of complacency, it seemed for long periods that the Dragons wanted it more, especially when we went back to our old habit of having a nap after half time. Unusual for a player on the losing team to win MOM, but their fly half deserved it.

Graham Jnr looked very good as did Scotty Wilson and Rob Vickers put in another great age defying performance. Flood played his heart out and kicked beautifully but not sure about Mermoz being a team player.

When we did grit our teeth and punch forward, we looked a class above the opposition and should have won by a wider margin. Nevertheless, happily we emerged with five points in the bag and head to France for our most challenging group game level with Bordeaux. Fingers crossed the boys reproduce our league form there.

15 October, 2017 11:04
Quote:
iansmith1956
Apologies if I was too shouty today alnwickfalcon. I will listen to the recording, I actually didn't think there was a lot to shout about so maybe it was the pre-match coffee. It was nice to get new players on the field and head to next weekend with a win

Cheers Ian, I think your commentary partner not Mr Gray was a little enthusiastic.

Great win for the boys thoroughly enjoyed listening whilst watching the game we all have a different take on things.

lizard118 (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 11:45
I'm not really that fussed about Europe this season. Obviously it's nice to to maintain performance levels but I think Europe should primarily be used, at least these first games, to look at players with the view to promoting good performances to the premiership team.

I'd happily take a top 6 finish over winning the challenge cup. Following on that I hope we can see Graham Jr in the premiership 23 at some point soon. Sowrey is another who hasn't really let us down but appears to have been overtaken by Socino Jr. Just nice to have the depth we have at hooker when you consider how depleted we are in the other front row positions.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 12:06
Cantab, MOM vote in Europe is voted for by the press, and there were more Welsh press than English. Also for operational reasons the vote was taken on 67 minutes, when Dragons were ahead.

My vote went to Gary Graham, for what itís worth. As did Deanoís.

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 12:35
Thanks for the info Smithy. As others have said, I couldn't have argued either and would have been delighted if Gary Graham had got MOM.

67 mins seems v early to decide MOM. I wish ERC had a game clock, you get used to it in the Prem and towards the end when you look how long there is to go you suddenly realise you should have checked your watch when the 2nd half kicked off.

markismith50 (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 13:39
EPCR do have a game clock, Cantab, the Tissot clocks in each corner and on the West Stand

Cantabrian (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 16:24
Another "senior moment" Thanks Smithy

dick g (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 17:00
Quote:
aidanb
Was surprised to see that Gary Graham has a rather famous former falcon for a dad.
How did I miss that?

It' s an age thing, Aidan. George Gragam will long be remembered for, amongst other things, running half the length of the pitch to score away against London Scottish. This was at a time when the main function of the pack was to trundle between set pieces. George was a Cumbrian who escaped to RL before Rob Andrew recruited him for us.

aidanb (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 18:25
Quote:
dick g
Quote:
aidanb
How did I miss that?

It' s an age thing, Aidan. George Gragam will long be remembered for, amongst other things, running half the length of the pitch to score away against London Scottish. This was at a time when the main function of the pack was to trundle between set pieces. George was a Cumbrian who escaped to RL before Rob Andrew recruited him for us.

I loved George Graham, what a player he was.

Was much much more than a prop, anyone who at 5foot and some who can scrummage against Os De Rant of South Africa and still run around the park is a legend. He explained it as cheating like .....

But in the Prem he was excellent as a very mobile prop who could do his job at loosehead.

He wife was great company when she would stand in the west corner of the old south steps and hold court. Very colourful character.

16 October, 2017 07:23
A curate's egg game for me - I didn't think apart from Graham anyone put their hand up for a league start.

AFalcon24 (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 07:44
I Would be tempted to have Graham and Scott Wilson at least on the bench for our next league game. smiling smiley

ScotsFalcon (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 08:12
Re: George Graham Senior - he's still plying his trade as a coach, having just taken over at Hawick (Darren Cunningham resigned following seven straight losses...) GG Senior coached at Gala for many years, seeing them (sadly, for Scottish Borders rugby) relegated to BT National League 1 last season. Gary Graham and George Graham Junior both played for Gala for a time, where Doddie's two brothers, Tom and Chris, still play. Small world...

16 October, 2017 08:43
I didn't know if it was a bit soon for Scott Wilson - our scrum is still a worry for me

aidanb (IP Logged)
16 October, 2017 09:08
The two new lads to the Falcons front row this season need to be given as much game time as possible to bring them up to Prem speed asap

I, of course, am talking about Scott Wilson and Trevor Davison.

16 October, 2017 09:27
Quote:
Bedlington Lad
I didn't know if it was a bit soon for Scott Wilson - our scrum is still a worry for me

Its still a massive worry for me aswell. We got smashed a couple of times on Saturday.

Scotty looked like he was grasping at thin air on Saturday at times, but that's simply a lack of gametime. He's barely played a regular stint in years.

If he can stay injury free and get a real good run of games under his belt he'll look much better and have match sharpness.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net