rugbyunion
Latest News:

Welcome to the Newcastle Falcons Fans Forum

This forum is for all Falcons' fans, and is independent of the both the club and the supporters association. If you have something to say about Newcastle Falcons this is the place to say it. However please keep it clean and non abusive, and respect the other users of this board!

While the editors of this site monitor the board, they are not responsible for the content of the postings. Any concerns, complaints etc... should be emailed to Sportnetwork. If you want to spam, please go elsewhere - any spamming will be deleted.

Next match

Next two matches

Saturday 18th November v Wasps at Ricoh Arena, 5.15pm

Friday 24th November v Gloucester at Kingston Park, 7.45pm

Last result: Newcastle Falcons 57-0 Cardiff Blues

Injuries- worth a read
trummy200 (IP Logged)
13 October, 2017 15:21

Re: Injuries- worth a read
limpopo (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 09:40
Very interesting and sadly very true

trummy200 (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 14:53
Yes I totally agree - obviously its a contact support but its not 'Gladiators' There has to be room for the 'little man'

Monkey1 (IP Logged)
15 October, 2017 16:25
I asked our physio team about this exact problem at a Supporters Club evening. As the sport relies on players being a little bit faster, and a little bit stronger each year, this makes it harder to return players to the level that they had previously been capable of after injury. They didn't think injuries were getting worse, despite the higher speeds and harder hits, because the players get more able to cope with it each year too. The problem is purely that these days it takes longer to return players to the level of fitness that is required for them to do their job.

It was best explained using the example of a player a few years ago being able to run 100 metres in 10.5 seconds. If he got injured, it wasn't too much of a challenge to get him back to achieving 10.5 seconds. Now we train & develop the players to a higher level, so his new benchmark today might be 10.1 seconds. Getting a big bloke to return to that speed is much harder & takes much longer, and they have all sorts of other such benchmarks to measure player performance, all of which they have to achieve before they are allowed back in the team, and to be brutally honest, they are no use to the rest of the team until they return to these levels anyway. That is why all teams now have to plan for having at least 20% of their first choice players unavailable at any time. It isn't the number of injuries that is the problem, it is the increased time it takes to get each player back to the expected levels.

Awareness of player welfare is much higher than it used to be too, and rightly so. Physio & rehab teams are much bigger & much better trained than they used to be, with a lot more knowledge about the effects of the game on players in later life. They now take a more long term view on the player as a whole, not just whether he can be shoved back in the team next week or not.

People will always push themselves, in whatever sports & at whatever level. I know so many amateur players who now in later life have knackered legs, backs and shoulders, former amateur but keen footballers who have wrecked knees. It even goes beyond sport. Take Sir Ranulph Fiennes for instance, who despite losing various bits of his body to frostbite, just can't stop himself from wandering off on some lunatic frozen challenge again. I have a back injury sustained at work when through sheer bloody mindedness I decided to move around a whole department of heavy equipment one weekend to make it function better. I did it, and it worked much better, but I wasn't able to sleep in a bed for two weeks afterwards, and thirty years later I still suffer from that insane weekend.

No matter how much the game is developed, or what steps are put in place to improve player welfare, the players will still push themselves beyond whatever limits have been set. That is what makes them what they are, what motivates them to pull on their boots, and in many ways and in totally different walks of life, it is this same pursuit of making a difference that pushes many of us to do what we can as best as we can too. It is human nature.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
We record all IP addresses on the Sportnetwork message boards which may be required by the authorities in case of defamatory or abusive comment. We seek to monitor the Message Boards at regular intervals. We do not associate Sportnetwork with any of the comments and do not take responsibility for any statements or opinions expressed on the Message Boards. If you have any cause for concern over any material posted here please let us know as soon as possible by e-mailing abuse@sportnetwork.net